Semantics

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Is the term Shift/Reversion based on what you are?

No, Human-to-anything is the Shift.
13%
It depends on what your base form is.
58%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
29%

Total votes: 38

RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Semantics

Post by RedEye »

Here's my problem. We associate the SHIFT to the Human to Werewolf metamorphosis. We say REVERT (or similar things) when we speak of the Werewolf to Human trnasformation.
That's Mr. Brownrigg's description; o-kay.

Suppose though, that the Crossing Over (Were'ing) changed you so completely that the "Gestalt" was now your "normal" or basic form, and the Full Wulf or Smooth Human was now the form "transformed" into-for whatever reason. In short, you're now Wulfen; a Wolf adapted to an Upright stance.

Is the transformation to Human the shift now? And is the Reversion now what takes you back to the Wulfen form? Or is it still "shift" to get to Gestalt, regardless to what your baseform is?

What about the people who are born to the Wulfen side of things, and gain the ability to do whatever it is as they grow up?

It seems silly; but consider what's happening. Is Base -> Gestalt =Shift, whether you're born Wulf or Human? Or does it change, based on the person involved?
IS there a settled answer? ??
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Can't speak for anyone else, but personally I'd call any change of form a shift.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I said it depends on what your base form is because werewolves, the way I see them, are not a completely different species, but human beings with a unique condition. The fact that they are capable of distorting their forms to appear inhuman doesn't make them any less human.

We typically refer to "shifting" as a change into a different form, and "reverting" as changing back into the form one typically assumes (while not all of them may live as humans, every werewolf should have one of the three forms in which they are most comfortable. So if a werewolf spends the most of their time in wolf form, the "reversion" would be the shift back into that full wolf form.
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

I get what you said...but some how I still ended up confused.
*cough*
Anyway....if Gestalt is your base and smooth and wolf are your transformations...then yes I would say that's shifting becuase you changing into something different.

Shift = means changing into something new
Reversion = means going back to your natural state.

That's how I see it ^^
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

I think that it depends on what your base-form is too. If you are a Wolf most of the time, I would call it a "shift", if you change into a human for example and revert, if you change back to your "normal" (in that case) wolf-form, you are in most of the time.
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Fullmoonstar wrote:I think that it depends on what your base-form is too. If you are a Wolf most of the time, I would call it a "shift", if you change into a human for example and revert, if you change back to your "normal" (in that case) wolf-form, you are in most of the time.
That's what I was getting at, but at first I made the assumption that the default form for most werewolves would be the one in which they were born, then decided to account for the ones that might decide to live a different life.

At any rate, I seriously doubt there would be any werewolves that would enjoy and/or be able to spend an equal amount of time in all three forms, so the majority of werewolves would have a "default" form.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Re: Semantics

Post by Celestialwolf »

I think of the human form as being the main form (not for what it can or can't do compared to the other forms, but because as people we're most used to it and will be in that form the most due to there being so many people).

shifts to Gestalt
shifts to wolf
reverts to human
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

I personally use "Revert to human form" to separate them from those that can shift to other human forms, since I'm working on a storyline that involves both, which are both separate from those merely using a glamour...
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

I'd say it depends on the base form.

Due to the kind of World that my ideal Werewolves inhabit (and my main pack is shacked up with the Myth Guard now, well protected, so they can do pretty much whatever they like), when they gain the gift, the gestalt becomes the primary form, because that is then their centre, the bridge between two Worlds.

On one hand, you have society, law, and structure: Human. This is the Chained shift, as being Human accepts all the restrictions tied into it.

Then on the other side, you have nature, the untamed, the raw beauty. This is the Wild shift, as being a Wolf means you do what you want, and you live with the consequences.

The gestalt, in between, is balance. It accepts parts of both, with a society that's far more loose, accepting, and open minded than the one Humanity is usually capable of, but not living behind the ideals of society either (my Werewolves tend to be more linked than just loosely roaming packs).

They can shift to anywhere in between those base forms, so they can be Wolves with thumbs, literally, if they wanted to be. But this is seen as the view of extremes, going from one extreme to the other, and then that which sits directly in the middle.
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

I said that it depends (as it almost always does). I'll jump on the bandwagon here and say that I agree that you shift out of whatever form you are accustomed to (or feel the most balanced in), and you revert back to that same natural from. Whether that "natural" state is Human, Gestalt, or Wolf all depends on the individual. It's up to him/her to describe how it applies to him/her alone.

However, could it go the other way as well? Sort of like how we apply terms to how water changes from solid to liquid to gas and back again. We've got condensation, freezing, melting, and evaporation (and occasionally sublimation). Those words are the accepted standard, i.e. ice doesn't condensate into liquid water, it melts. Would there ever be a situation where a werewolf society would apply something similar, for the sake of simplicity and semantics?

Lots of alliteration in that last sentence. :lol:
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Moonraiser
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Waiting for Freeborn...
Additional Details: Waiting for Freeborn. I don't know if I can take not knowing what will become of this movie much longer. I wish I had some sort of information...
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonraiser »

I had to push the button that said shift is the key next to z. I had to. Ha. But anywho, shift in my opinion can be used either ways. Human to werewolf or werewolf to human, it's still shifting.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Previously, in the past, I used to always refer to shifting to any form but the human form as the 'shift,' and returning to the human form as 'reversion.' Because the traditional (as in, legendary) werewolf only changed forms to wolf once a month, the wolven form seemed to be much more of a 'second form' and the human form being the base.

Of course, with my current werewolf race (it seems everyone has their own race these days) the gestalt form is their natural form. The werewolves use both their strength and will power in order to retain their human forms; their emotions, instincts, injuries, or other weaknesses can cause reversion to the gestalt form to become imminent. Weaker and more vulnerable werewolves run a higher risk of returning to the gestalt form in scenarios where their secret could be placed into jeopardy.

This way, I've reversed the significance of the wolf and human forms. The gestalt form is no longer a 'second' form, and the human form is veiwed more as a costume than a base.

Sooo....yeah, depends on your choice of 'base' forms.
Moonraiser wrote:I had to push the button that said shift is the key next to z. I had to. Ha. But anywho, shift in my opinion can be used either ways. Human to werewolf or werewolf to human, it's still shifting.
I keep pushing 'shift' but nothing's happening. D :

:grinp:
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

outwarddoodles wrote: I keep pushing 'shift' but nothing's happening. D :

Hit it a couple more time, Sticky Keys will be enabled. As to how they got sticky, don't ask me...
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Wingman wrote:
outwarddoodles wrote: I keep pushing 'shift' but nothing's happening. D :

Hit it a couple more time, Sticky Keys will be enabled. As to how they got sticky, don't ask me...
You're watching the wrong thing. Watch your computer! It will get hairy and then bite you.
And the sticky is...drool! :lol:

Happy New Year!
Nice new Avi, Outward!
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Moonraiser
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Waiting for Freeborn...
Additional Details: Waiting for Freeborn. I don't know if I can take not knowing what will become of this movie much longer. I wish I had some sort of information...
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonraiser »

HA HA HA HA HA HA
W'rkncacnter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hard to Pronounce

Post by W'rkncacnter »

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiggghtt.....anyway...

I think that the 'baseline' isn't what your natural form is, but rather what you STARTED as before you were infected/changed/cursed (pick your back story). My wolves feel most at home when, surprise, they look almost indistinguishable from a normal wolf, but that doesn't mean it's the baseline from which all other forms are derived; it simply means that's the form they shift into easiest.
What can create a new system, or destroy an old one? What can change the lives of everyone who touches it? What can strengthen the whole world, or shake it to its very roots? What can create whole nations, and change the course of history?

An idea.

-Unknown