The werewolf as superhero

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

The werewolf as superhero

Post by Dreamer »

I kinda wondered, what do you think would happen if a werewolf decided to put his power to good use and to become a superhero. OF course theyre would be the issue of protecting the secret (Could be maintained by making up a fake origin for the press and never shiftign in public view), not to mention the issue of protecting your identity (could be accomplished through a good costume or by the fact that you look different enough from your human form when changed so that nobody will recognize you). And then there's the issue of what your pack would think.
XIV
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

If it goes against pack rules, if that werewolf is part of a pack, then that werewolf would be alone but as long as he did good then I would think that there is no problem with it. The next question then should be how careful does he have to be with his identity?
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

I don't see why this wouldn't be possible. Sound like a good idea, actually. 8)

As for what would happen, I have no idea >_> I'm not too good with these things.
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ceekur »

*calls Teena... err SuperWolf to the topic* :grinp:
' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Dreamer. Go and get yourself the three issues (to date) of "The Astounding Wolf-Man". There's a thread on it elsewhere on this board if you need more info. Basically, it's a retro-styled superhero comic about a man who's just become a werewolf who decides to use his werewolf abilities to Be A Hero And Fight Crime. As can be imagined, things don't go to plan. So far I've read the first two issues (the third hasn't made its way this far south yet) and they're excellent. Kirkman (the writer) is also the writer behind "The Walking Dead", which is a comic that manages to do the almost impossible and actually make a serious zombie comic interesting.
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luffs Buff Wuffs!

Post by Ookami-kun »

Hey, as long as it doesn't have that "omg I must contain this beastly rage" thing then it's fine. :lol:
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Midnight wrote:Dreamer. Go and get yourself the three issues (to date) of "The Astounding Wolf-Man".
Astounding Wolf-Man is a really bad example of "superhero" style werewolves, if you're going for a much more realistic approach. No real "packmate" would take you seriously if you were always full of energy when it comes to dramatics, and if you wore a suit that looked like as if it's been torn off a TMNT Foot Clan member.
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ookami-kun »

There's even less pack stuff in Wolf-Man. Heck, I think the pack is against the hero. XD
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I've thought about that premise. There would be the anonymity of most normals not being able to connect the wolf or Gestalt form with the human face. Good story premise from many angles--worlds in which werewolves exist in numbers, dramatic werewolf stories in which the person tries it as a way of channelling emotions, pop action stories or even comic book heroes, and the like. I'd like to see something in the style of Unbreakable, so starkly realistic that you don't even think of it as a superhero genre at first. Another approach might be as a comedic episode of an otherwise serious ongoing storyline.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Ookami-kun wrote:There's even less pack stuff in Wolf-Man. Heck, I think the pack is against the hero. XD
I don't think there is a Pack (as such) in Wolf-man.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

kitetsu wrote:Astounding Wolf-Man is a really bad example of "superhero" style werewolves, if you're going for a much more realistic approach.
It's not common for both "realistic" and "superhero" to apply to the same character in the first place...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Midnight wrote:
kitetsu wrote:Astounding Wolf-Man is a really bad example of "superhero" style werewolves, if you're going for a much more realistic approach.
It's not common for both "realistic" and "superhero" to apply to the same character in the first place...
Sure it is! They ride around in big Red Trucks, and fight fires...and rescue people. If the Firemen who responded to the World Trade Center on 9-11-01 aren't superheroes, I can't think of anyone who is. :wink:
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Those guys aren't "superheroes", though; they're real heroes. You don't see too many Batmobiles heading towards the nearest fire, sirens and lights going.
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ookami-kun »

Midnight wrote:
I was referring to Issue 3. XD
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Midnight wrote:Those guys aren't "superheroes", though; they're real heroes. You don't see too many Batmobiles heading towards the nearest fire, sirens and lights going.
ROTFL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Midnight wrote:
Marvel tried anyway, and there's no reason that it can't be done right.

I'm actually just cloaking my true feelings and beliefs from an issue like superheroes, which sums up to how much i dislike them for giving me a permanent impression that all superheroes are justice-mongering narcissists, just as much as i dislike supervillains for leaving me the permanent impression that all supervillains are expendable martyrs with severe chemical imbalance and nothing better to do in their lives except destroy/conquer/control the world for a vague reason or no reason whatsoever.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well, I seriously doubt that the pack would support the idea, nor do I believe any local population would immediately welcome a werewolf as a hero.

At least not at first. If a werewolf really wanted a hero, he'd have to go the Batman route, IE: leave the crooks where the police will find them instead of delivering them to the station personally, and leaving notes for the police/press instead of speaking directly with them.

There'd be a lot of worry and uncertainty from both sides at first, but after a while, both should notice a pattern: who the werewolf targets, what he does with them, his calling card, etc. Eventually he'll be recognized by the police and/or media as a vigilante. It's unrealistic to assume the police would support vigilantism, but the press and the general population may start to refer to him as a superhero.

That in turn would reflect positively on the rest of the pack. At first, the pack would most likely have been trying to figure out "who the reckless hero wannabe is so they can stop him before he exposes them all," but eventually at least a few members of the pack should take notice of the positive press it's getting and, at the very least, elect to stop looking for him.

Once he's established, the hero werewolf might be able to let his pack in on the secret, at least provided, of course, that he can guarantee their own anonymity.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Man-wolf, AKA Star Wolf. However no pack existed in those comics, plus the werewolf later turned out to be the diminished mental and physical form of a greater god like being "Star Wolf".

but a more "realisitic" approach might not be too bad, so long as we don't end up with some Wolverine wannabe character.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Another thing to consider: Spandex mashes fur every which way-muchly uncomfortable.

Plus: every time the Wulf leaps, the seat of his tights splits out because of the tail hole.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:Another thing to consider: Spandex mashes fur every which way-muchly uncomfortable.

Plus: every time the Wulf leaps, the seat of his tights splits out because of the tail hole.
Yeah, if he really wanted to dress the part (which I don't think he would), he'd have to go the "Krypto the Superdog" route. You know, just a cape and his birthday suit.

Note to wannabe hero werewolves: Wear sweat pants.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Terastas wrote:
RedEye wrote:Another thing to consider: Spandex mashes fur every which way-muchly uncomfortable.

Yeah, if he really wanted to dress the part (which I don't think he would), he'd have to go the "Krypto the Superdog" route. You know, just a cape and his birthday suit.

Note to wannabe hero werewolves: Wear sweat pants.
Remember the suspenders! Were's usually don't have much in the way of hips. One leap, and our Hero's sweats are in a puddle around his feet.
The crooks would be so busy laughing, they wouldn't be able to fight back.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I personally doubt that a superhero of any kind would be possible.

Think about it?

If the Police and the FBI can solve murders with a few clues why can't they investigate the identity of a would be superhero.

Superheroing like in the comic books is what is called vigilantism in which by the way is illegal. That would cause them to investigate his or her identity in order to get arrest especially if it involves a death. If that person happens to have some kind of "super power" the government would might consider he/she a threat of some sort.

They would take forensic evidence like DNA, fingerprints, and what ever else they look for on CSI, at what they will call a "crime scene". They will use that to help them narrow it down to the super hero and possibly make an arrest.

Costumes of any kind are actually liabilities. Yeah sure they keep their real identity and look cool doing it, but it makes it real easy for witnesses to identify them at every crime scene. Also investigators would look if they have the know how and the supplies to make one, and if they commissioned one, and the person who made it sees it on the news. Well some body now knows their dirty little secret, and even if they keep their mouth shut. The authorities will look for the person who did to build the case against them when they find out. Besides by the time they put one on the party is probably over.

Alot of these superheroes have major holes, which i will now point out.

With Batman and Ironman, they would look for the ones with all the green backs in the area to buy or make them selves all that insane gear. Not to mention access to the tech.

The Punisher and the hulk, can you say America's Most Wanted?

Superman, HE WEARS GLASSES AS A DESQUISE FOR F**K SAKE!!

The X-Men, They have a jet that flys out from under their school! Some body must have seen that!!

Any superhero or hero team with their hide out in an obivious place IE Teen Titans, Fantasic 4.

Fantastic 4, who would in their right mind would be OK with that!
THE GAME

My Armory
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I would've said all that already if this thread tried to take itself seriously.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Anubis wrote:I personally doubt that a superhero of any kind would be possible.

Think about it?

If the Police and the FBI can solve murders with a few clues why can't they investigate the identity of a would be superhero.

Superheroing like in the comic books is what is called vigilantism in which by the way is illegal. That would cause them to investigate his or her identity in order to get arrest especially if it involves a death. If that person happens to have some kind of "super power" the government would might consider he/she a threat of some sort.

They would take forensic evidence like DNA, fingerprints, and what ever else they look for on CSI, at what they will call a "crime scene". They will use that to help them narrow it down to the super hero and possibly make an arrest.
*nods* These are all reasons why I didn't think anyone, public or pack alike, would support the werewolf superhero idea at first. Still, I'd like to play Devil's Advocate and offer a few other possibilities.

1) Vigilantism vs. Good Samaritan
Sometimes you see things on the news about civilians that just happened to be in the area stepping up and helping the police. Usually when that happens, it makes the news and a spokesperson for the police reminds the viewers at home that, while they commend the civilian's bravery, they don't encourage dangerous acts of heroics of this kind. Unless the werewolf was really blatant about what he's doing, he could get away with the first one or two before the police notice a pattern.

2) The Supernatural vs. Skepticism
As of this moment, most people don't believe werewolves even exist. Lets say in one example that the wannabe hero leaves his first victim alive for the police to arrest and trial properly:

"So let me get this straight: You were attacked by a werewolf? Sir, I'm going to have to ask that you fill these cups please."

Now lets look at what would happen if the werewolf played judge, jury and executioner and his first victim wound up in the CSI.

"Death by werewolf attack? Doctor, are you sure you want to sign your name on this?"

So again, unless the werewolf makes it perfectly clear what he is, he remains unidentified until a pattern forms.

3) Media Politics
The police and FBI don't support vigilantism, but superheroes are a big part of modern folklore, so a lot of civilians do. If the press ever started referring to the werewolf as a vigilante, or worse, actually used the term "superhero," a lot of people would not support any effort by the police and/or FBI to stop him. Heck, it's not unfathomable that some politician looking to boost his approval rating might even go so far as to offer the werewolf a pardon. Nobody will want to step up into the public light and say "He's fighting crime and protecting his fellow man and we must stop him at all costs."

Those are some big ifs though, so I agree that it's unlikely. It's just not impossible either. :wink:
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

MArvel Comics cross-over event Civil War. In an attempt to seem realisitic and answer things like this super-heroes now have to be registered and their identities known other wise the registered super-heroes arrest them: Basically super-cops.

Peter Parker is outed as is Iron Man.

The Fantastic Four were always out in the open and government sanctioned, Shield is a secret government agency and thus covers the Avengers, X-Factor is government controlled. The X-men were secret but came out along time ago ,least secret of most large groups, The X-men are now recognized in the comics as more of a protection agency for mutants, as well as a police force against super-beings. The Thunderbolts are like a police force now.

Heroes like SPider-man now have a status akin to a private detective.

Honestly I feel this kills alot of the fantasy elements and ruins alot of the fun of having Super-heroes.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.