The werewolf as superhero

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: The werewolf as superhero

Post by Volkodlak »

Ok,i know some members dont like necroposting, but i had to respond too it.

Most sane WWs will save a person in troubles but wont go playing vigilante because its nuts and i dont think people would react well on seeing 7-8 feet tall creature.

only young people(16-21) would think it would be cool to run around saving people and hooking up with prety girls at school,But police wont like it, but catching this superhero wanabe will be something new and i think that other WWs will stop him not police, because he will reveal existance of WWs if hes not stoped soon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

lovec1990 wrote:only young people(16-21) would think it would be cool to run around saving people and hooking up with prety girls at school
Only young people would think being a werewolf would actually help them hook up with girls too. And though that's technically correct, trust me on this: You don't want to hook up with the kind of girls that would want to date a werewolf.

If it ever happened, it would probably start in "good Samaritan" mode, where the werewolf is just conveniently in the area and knows damn well that it's well within his capacity to step in and resolve the situation without exposing his condition and/or his identity. Then once he's actually done it, the idea becomes more plausible.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Terastas wrote:
lovec1990 wrote:only young people(16-21) would think it would be cool to run around saving people and hooking up with prety girls at school
Only young people would think being a werewolf would actually help them hook up with girls too. And though that's technically correct, trust me on this: You don't want to hook up with the kind of girls that would want to date a werewolf.

If it ever happened, it would probably start in "good Samaritan" mode, where the werewolf is just conveniently in the area and knows damn well that it's well within his capacity to step in and resolve the situation without exposing his condition and/or his identity. Then once he's actually done it, the idea becomes more plausible.
dont worry i wont use my powers too get a girl :)

you are partialy right some start like you said but some dont go this way, but youst decide too go out hunting bad guys and they wont use costume but other forms
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I think this whole topic misses a pretty big issue:

Regardless of how the werewolf in question works this, he's going to wind up as the bad guy. It really doesn't matter what the guy he's trying to nail is doing (rapist, child molestation, or whatever), the simple fact that there's a FREAKING WEREWOLF running around is going to be the thing that everybody would focus on. Somebody boosting a car or strong-arming some little old lady for her social security check is bad -- but it's the sort of familiar everyday crime that the average jaded urbanite just shrugs his shoulders when he hears about it. Nine-foot-tall-carnivorous something running loose is going to push everybody's panic button, no matter how non-threatening dude tries to be.
Seth Fharlay
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Mood: RAR!

Post by Seth Fharlay »

Oh, pish, I see no reason why we can't have more werewolf superheros. In stories, that is. Would make things fun, you ask me. :superwolf:

Realistically speaking, however, I can see where things might go down the tube. As most of you have said, people might get behind the idea of a vigilante, but a werewolf vigilante? Might be a stretch, even for most people. It'd be nice knowing that there's this huge, powerful beast of legend stalking the night and protecting the common folk from evil-doers, but that's just it: IT'S A HUGE POWERFUL BEAST OF LEGEND. There's no telling what could happen with this sort of creature, if his intentions are in the right place, or if he even might turn on us. Maybe as long as he kept targeting criminals and other wicket persons we might feel some security, but that doubt would always be in the back of our minds. And if Super-Wolf (for lack of a better title) messes up - if the common folk get hurt or die, then everything goes up in smoke, and that would be the end of Super-Wolf's career. :(

But hey! Whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't mind either way. :)
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

seth i think other packs would stop him before he reveal existance of WWs
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Uniform Two Six wrote:I think this whole topic misses a pretty big issue:

Regardless of how the werewolf in question works this, he's going to wind up as the bad guy. It really doesn't matter what the guy he's trying to nail is doing (rapist, child molestation, or whatever), the simple fact that there's a FREAKING WEREWOLF running around is going to be the thing that everybody would focus on. Somebody boosting a car or strong-arming some little old lady for her social security check is bad -- but it's the sort of familiar everyday crime that the average jaded urbanite just shrugs his shoulders when he hears about it. Nine-foot-tall-carnivorous something running loose is going to push everybody's panic button, no matter how non-threatening dude tries to be.
True, but there are two other factors that would contribute to it.

1) Social Pressure:

Yes, a werewolf is a big friggin' deal. So much so that most people, if they saw one, would be hesitant to refer to it as a werewolf, even if they got a good enough look at it to be absolutely certain for themselves that it is indeed a werewolf, for fear of being taken for a crackpot. And even if they did have the balls to refer to it as a werewolf, what are the odds that the police and/or press are going to believe them?

It would take multiple accounts before they would start using the term "werewolf" themselves, and even then, their chief suspect would still be just a fairly large human being -- a guy dressed up as a werewolf at best.

And by then factor #2 comes into play:

2) Pattern(s) of behavior:

If, every time a werewolf sighting occurred, the victim of the attack was a criminal and/or the only witnesses to the attack were their intended victims (who, initial crime aside, went unharmed during these ordeals), the most logical conclusion would be that the "werewolf" is an acting vigilante. Which, between the witnesses speaking out and the press investigating the victims, they would not be able to keep a lid on for very long.

And once that gets out there, that's when the factors like public opinion, media spin and the like start factoring in.

Which, if you think about it, sort of creates a "chicken and egg" scenario where, if the police want to stop the vigilante, they need to step up their presence in the trouble spots he keeps turning up in, which would, in turn, negate any need for the werewolf.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I agree with you that if nobody takes it seriously, and the only general response is that it's some whacko in a suit, then the werewolf has no problem.

I disagree with you if the public does take the dude seriously. It doesn't matter how bad the bad-guys are, or how well-behaved dude is -- he's still a werewolf, and nobody is going to take that lightly.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Uniform Two Six wrote:I agree with you that if nobody takes it seriously, and the only general response is that it's some whacko in a suit, then the werewolf has no problem.

I disagree with you if the public does take the dude seriously. It doesn't matter how bad the bad-guys are, or how well-behaved dude is -- he's still a werewolf, and nobody is going to take that lightly.
exspecialy local Werewolfs, who i think will try too stop you from doing this superhero stuf
Seth Fharlay
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Mood: RAR!

Post by Seth Fharlay »

lovec1990 wrote:seth i think other packs would stop him before he reveal existance of WWs
Assuming that he's not the only 'wolf around these parts...
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Seth Fharlay wrote:
lovec1990 wrote:seth i think other packs would stop him before he reveal existance of WWs
there has too be at least the one who bitten you
Kaged Tiger
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Poetry in Motion

Post by Kaged Tiger »

Well, considering how my ideal werewolf is one that can only fully shift on the full moon and reach a mostly human but slightly different form at other times (think like tail, claws, pointy ears, maybe slightly bigger muscles, I don't know), the problem of being seen as a scary beast isn't, well, such a problem. What I'm trying to say is that it depends on the were. Another good example is that if they aren't a regenerating werewolf, then they might as well go home, because one bullet will end it faster than 10 claws. But if they regenerate AND aren't particularly scary, then they should go for it. At least, that's what I'd do. :D

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to say that you'd have to wear a mask or something if this was your flavor of werewolf, but it's better than granny dying of a heart attack when you try to return her purse.
Sometimes you howl because only the moon will listen.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

lovec1990 wrote:
Seth Fharlay wrote:
there has too be at least the one who bitten you
No there doesn't, that is not forced to be the case, that werewolves exist at all in this scenario, means the origins of werewolf kind may just as easily begin with our wouldbe werewolf hero, via whatever means that creates a werewolf in the first place.

On topic, I don't profess to have any worthwhile knowledge on social dynamics, but I tend to agree that a werewolf running around knocking off scumbags, like any over powered vigilante, is not going to go down well with the police or the local populace, not to mention the afore mentioned scumbags, who, if I had to guess, might ironically end up leading the wider social charge to bring the werewolf to an end, round and round in circles it goes, where it stops, nobody knows, but I'm willing to bet the end isn't a pretty one.

On the other hand, if, by some means or other, our werewolf weedles itself onto the police payroll somewhere, that might come in handy, still going to need to watch its own tail lest it becomes an encumbrance.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Meeper wrote: On the other hand, if, by some means or other, our werewolf weedles itself onto the police payroll somewhere, that might come in handy, still going to need to watch its own tail lest it becomes an encumbrance.
:cop:
But then, that scenario necessarily restricts the werewolf from really using his abilities to their fullest -- since the people he least wants to take notice of him are going to be closest at hand. Sure, he might be able to identify a suspect because he caught his scent at a crime scene, but he can't tell his colleagues that. In order for his werewolfy powers to have any real utility, he has to hide their true nature -- "oh, no, no, no... I didn't smell him, I -- uh -- found his fingerprints over here..."
"He was wearing gloves."
"D'OH!!! -- I mean, uh... Racial profiling?"
:dunce:
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
Meeper wrote: On the other hand, if, by some means or other, our werewolf weedles itself onto the police payroll somewhere, that might come in handy, still going to need to watch its own tail lest it becomes an encumbrance.
:cop:
But then, that scenario necessarily restricts the werewolf from really using his abilities to their fullest -- since the people he least wants to take notice of him are going to be closest at hand. Sure, he might be able to identify a suspect because he caught his scent at a crime scene, but he can't tell his colleagues that. In order for his werewolfy powers to have any real utility, he has to hide their true nature -- "oh, no, no, no... I didn't smell him, I -- uh -- found his fingerprints over here..."
"He was wearing gloves."
"D'OH!!! -- I mean, uh... Racial profiling?"
:dunce:
Yeah, you can make special case scenarios for why it would or wouldn't work, but if you were going to do it at all, I'd rather have a vigilante actually have a clue about how to make some unexplainable jumps on the sly, rather than go stomping around all over a crime scene leaving gigantic paw prints everywhere and mucking up evidence. If you play your cards right, nobody need ever be the wiser, all they know is you're talented.

After all, I assume they still train police staff and sort them based on scumbags in the nick rating? Or am I being naive?

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Meeper wrote: If you play your cards right, nobody need ever be the wiser, all they know is you're talented.
Remember that you still need to build a case. Arresting the right guy is sort of useless if you can't put together evidence (that's admissible) and put him behind bars. There's been a few police agencies in the U.S. that have sort of gotten in trouble (New Orleans comes to mind) in which they would arrest people on the flimsiest evidence (or no evidence) and release them as soon as the paperwork was filed just to get their arrest numbers up, but were getting a conviction rate of something like 5%.

And even if you can use your werewolfy powers to find evidence, you still have the issue of explaining how/why you found it. If you can't walk a jury through the logical progression of the case A, B, C, D, etc. the guy is still going to walk regardless of what kind of evidence you have since a defense attorney is going to pounce on what you do have. They love ripping apart evidence that just seemingly appears out of thin air.
Drachona
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Drachona »

Yeah, someone mentioned The Astounding Wolf-Man by Robert Kirkman, also I have the Captain America Man & Wolf comic, which is kind of a werewolf superhero story. Honestly, it would be cool to see a big budget movie with a werewolf superhero, and especially one where all of the crap like full moons and other Curt Siodmak movie-fodder isn't present. If my screenplay ever takes off and I get into movies, I have another idea for a movie and a sequel about a werewolf who slowly realizes his opportunity to become a superhero; to not only shatter the stereotypes of werewolves, but become an icon for young werewolves (because they really don't have one).
DW13
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: DTWX
Mood: Ruthless

Post by DW13 »

hmmm...
I guess it depends on *HOW* it's executed without being too campy or ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure an young Adolescent Werewolf would prolly have day dreams about being one, if only they wouldn't be restricted on Full Moons only, unless if they could change at will either by practicing on a usual basis or with the use of Plot Armor. ;p