Transformation and Privacy?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

RedEye wrote:Here's another concept for partial shifting: Panic.

Essentially, the Human gets really frightened, to the point that instinct takes over.
The Shift then occurs, but only enough to get the Shiftee's body the heck out of there. There is only enough time for a partial shift, just enough to improve survival during a freakout.
That's dangerous. The Werewolf could be recognized, as not all of the body becomes Homo Lupus-just enough to survive. Clothing would be recognizable, and maybe even features on the face could be recognized although distorted.
You aren't going to talk your way out of that one. No chance, baby.
Once in a "safe" place, the Shift completes itself, creating the classic Werewolf...whose secret is now anything but a secret. :cry:
So, next time you come across a Werewolf bashing its head against a wall, you'll know why. :lol:
If I would suddenly transform partially I would be like, "damn, my bro is gonna be jealous when he sees this!" :D
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

RedEye wrote:Okay: There is a Werewolf that is for some reason crawling toward me. Said wulf is shifting, partway through. This is a wulf in Trouble!

So: I'd cover them with a blanket, to keep the curious away, or cover them with my duster or my coat. I've given them privacy, a measure of safety, protection. If they can communicate, they may verbalize what's wrong. If not, I've still protected them, and given them a chance to complete their shift.
Even a wolf can understand that.

I happen to support Werewolves, by the way... :wink: :lol:
What if the wrewolf doesn't support humans :?

After you helped him out, "thanks", and bites your throat out :o
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Did I say I'd hang around? Puh-leeeeze! :lol:

It would be readily apparent if the Werewolf were hostile or not. A Hostile one isn't likely to be crawling toward me, for one. He is gonna hide until he's done, and by then I'm long gone.

The "crawling toward" would indicate said Were saw humans as Aid- Givers, not food. If said Wulf did think I was lunch, it'd be pretty obvious as I approached. Then the cover would hide my departure.

I'm DUM, but I ain't Stoopid.... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Post by garouda »

I have noted the repeated mention of helplessness during 'the change'.

This does in fact make sense.

Now, let us consider, wolves are very social. And being so there are social interdependencies and levels of trust that are incorporated into the individuals as members of a pack.

Their personality is not simply as individuals, but as parts of the pack and of each other.

I should not be surprised if they are also fiercely protective of one another.

The have common bonds and they share common weaknesses.

So what would I expect ? I would anticipate that werewolves would guard one another as they take turns changing. That in fact as social creatures, the very least time they would hide from one another would be when they MOST need each other. To be guarded and protected when they are at their most defenseless. As defenseless as newborn cubs. And wolves ARE protective of cubs.

So physically and metaphorically and philosophically speaking, they are being reborn every time they change, ne ?
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Snay Fell
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Location: Locked in my mind, 1 I cant find the way out, 2 I might hurt others if I do get out.

Post by Snay Fell »

Hi im a newbie here and i was hoping that i could put what ever i had of worth on the table......

I agree with the bit on the wolfs genaruly being pack creatures and taking care of pups, and ya if was a werewolf, and i do wish i was one, i would protect my packmates and fight in hope that they survive so they can save me from the attacker :P

You can burn me all you want, i have my own pack and we wont burn you, will just hunt you down and grind you into the ground :)
Happy days when you have a pack :lol:
Part of me is now fire, i'm burning inside. I still ach to be what you want as you increase the flames and listen to my screams. Your voice still rings in my mind as blood flows from my mangled body and falls onto the dead ground around me mixing with my tears of failure.
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

Welcome :D

No one would ever burn you here, matey. Well, maybe RedEye's fireplace

And back to topic, well, I saw some pictures on Wikipedia of wolves packs and when they are walking the Alpha is always leading and the Omega is way behind the whole pack so, maybe they change also in this order but who would help the omega?

Anyway, I doubt they'd help him, seeing how bad they are threated.
Snay Fell
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Location: Locked in my mind, 1 I cant find the way out, 2 I might hurt others if I do get out.

Post by Snay Fell »

That is true, who would help the omega, ps im not quoting because i dont know how..... i bet with werewolfs, maybe the alpha, because with human instincs plus wolf, the alpha would want to be alpha and would help the omega so the omega likes him and doesnt challenge him for title. Sorta like the way kings in the middle ages in europe acted, i save you u be my slave. :lol:
No one will burn me here? Really? wow this has to be the first forum i've found where someone wont get burned. This place Must rock then :o :)

And just a ramdom thought.... Do werewolfs like music in wolf form? what about rock, i wouldent think so, but what do u think?

Snay Fell
Part of me is now fire, i'm burning inside. I still ach to be what you want as you increase the flames and listen to my screams. Your voice still rings in my mind as blood flows from my mangled body and falls onto the dead ground around me mixing with my tears of failure.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

L. David Mech a pre-eminent and world recognized expert on wolf behaviour has in recent years, together with other wolf experts learned a lot about wolves and pack behavior that goes against conventionally accepted wisdom.

Among them that the individual generally referred to in wolf packs as the Omega, is a much more important member of the pack than previously recognized. In fact, sufficiently so that there are instances of Omega's advancing directly to top position in the pack without any of the intermediate process of stairstepping through the ranks of the pack.

I think intelligent packs are going to look after all of their own if it is within their ability.

Family is family.

The outmoded notion of "Alpha"
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

Well, now that I think it twice, changing in order of rank would be kind of stupid. :P I'd be such a funny situation to find a member missing, the bottom ones wouldn't be able to change!
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

And, face it; the Omega knows all the dirt on all the other pack members.
So of course he gets to the top, without having to fight anyone...all he'd have to do is mention that time when... :lol:
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Wolf Society

Post by garouda »

Organizatin of Wolf Society

However, notwithstanding improved understanding of real wolves in the wild, that does not truly bind or constrain what might result from the hybridization that a werewolf in many respects represents.

The society created by such a melding of cultures and inclinations might show aspects of both associated cultures and their instinct sets. Further it may also contain some behavioral sports or anomalies that may be unique to this hybrid species.
WereWolfBoy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Making the humans pay the wrong they have caused the pack
Additional Details: Damn the night
paws covered in blood, running
Running through the forest
Naked ,free of clothing howling
Animal instinct calls from
within.

Post by WereWolfBoy »

I my family my dad and mom say im an omega because im calm and not willing to fight like my brother Sean.
but according to Blue-eyes-in-the-dark i would be considered a werewolf trusty because i know lots about them adn will keep everything safe from the humans.
The world lives in silence as we howl our hearts aloud
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

you forgot to mention that you wouldn't be a werewolf but infact, a highly trusted friend of werewolves for in your case you would be possably lawenforcement or any person with ties in positions where you would be able to cover-up any situations where a lycan would have been exposed. :|
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
WereWolfBoy
Legendary
Legendary
within.

Post by WereWolfBoy »

that is true however i will find a way to become a lycan oneway or another.
The Dhampir
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Horror Opinionator

Post by The Dhampir »

I would suppose on the original question as to whether the werewolf in question was what I refer to as a "freeshifter" or a "lunar" Of course a freeshifter would be in control of when and where they changed, and a lunar would not necessarily have control over this. If the Lunar was forced to change due to the moons cycle, the change could occur anywhere, but I would guess that they'd tend to isolate themself prior to changing. With a free shifter. I would imagine that they would only change with persons they trusted intimately, otherwise I should think that they'd be alone for it. So in a pack situation, I guess it would depend on the individuals within the pack as to whether or not they stuck together or separated.
Be who you are!
WereWolfBoy
Legendary
Legendary
within.

Post by WereWolfBoy »

how true indeed.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Another consideration: During the shift, you are going to look really weird, as in funny-weird.
People will point and snicker.
Hence, Werewolves got the reputation of being mad killing machines, when they were really only getting theirs back... :lol:
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

I would have to agree with a lot of you, it would depend on what "rules" or "methods" they go by during the shift/ change. If they want privacy or not is all up to them.

P.S. Kelly Armstrong is one of the best writers ever, next to Michael Crichton. :howl:  :oo hwlwnk
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

i have to agree with ya there :howl:  :oo
Am I willing to risk failure in order to succeed? The answer is always YES!!!
shiftergirl
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: alphness wolf of the moonlit pack

Post by shiftergirl »

i aree too. ww's have the option of changing/shifting in front of people if they want to. i would think ww's would see that shifting is a natural thing to do, its no sin to change shapes in front of another of the same kind. :femshft
When i roar you run, When i purr you laugh, When i cry you weep.
loganx5142
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by loganx5142 »

I keep seeign it mentioned that werewolf transformations keep the werewolf immobilized. From everything I've seen in movies the werewolf transformation is violent and spastic. A convulsing, epileptic act. And if someone were to get to close to the werewolf that person could be grabbed, slashed or bitten.
I would think that a werewolf would keep their transformations private so as to keep from the world at large from wanting to disect, destroy or exploit them. Not to mention to keep form killing a human being.
Whoever is bitten by a werewolf and lives becomes a werewolf himself.
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

well out of all of the movies I have seen ww have transformed in fron tof humans but the humans referred them as huge dogs. Like the book Blood and Chocolate. that is the same thing that I am trying to explain to ya.
Am I willing to risk failure in order to succeed? The answer is always YES!!!
shiftergirl
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: alphness wolf of the moonlit pack

Post by shiftergirl »

right, its also like bitten or broken when the ww's are aways beleived to be giant dogs with wolfish like charaturisticks. yah in blood and cholcolat that was a good way to discribe the ww's. some of the people/humans that saw a tranfomation are probebly people that they love and care for, so they let them see them then if they have to they eather change them or kill them(only those who realy care change them).
When i roar you run, When i purr you laugh, When i cry you weep.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

IMO, the only reasons werewolves would care about privacy when shifting is if they risk being discovered by people who don't already know what they are. Otherwise, they'd shift in front of other werewolves, no big deal.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Distorted Realism
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Thinking with portals

Post by Distorted Realism »

WereWolfBoy wrote:that is true however i will find a way to become a lycan oneway or another.

ok.... umm ... WHAT?

ive been rummaging through my bros biology books .... (again)

and ive seen nothing supporting a change as major as that in there except .... you know... ... but then again i didn't really look that hard....

so then i had to figure it out with my head and the only solution ive come up with was injecting yourself with wolf hormones....

mostly growth hormone... bit the way ive figured it it if you use it for a year you would look maybe like one of the hollywood 1980's werewolf's.... so... meh..

also GHETTO FABULOUS... i just had to say that ^.^
If sleep is an escape for us, than we are all cowards. We spend one third of our life trying to get away...
-The Dark Dimension