How cold is too cold?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

How cold is too cold?

Post by Berserker »

I couldn't find this discussion browsing back pages.

Wolves can tolerate snow, but how would a werewolf fare? It would depend on body temperature of course, and fur structure... a werewolf might not have the layered pelt necessary to ward off the cold as acutely as his normal wolf brother. Body temperature might be lower as well; granted, probably slight higher than 98.6 degrees, but most likely not as high as 102. Conceivably, werewolves in arctic environments might need to supplement their warmth just like humans, either by building fire or wearing clothing. At what point does a poor werewolf's toes get frostbite in the tundra? How dangerous would hypothermia be?
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I think that would depend on the Werewolf. Some (like Underworld) wouldn't have enough fur for a Chihuaha, while some (Wulfen Blood) have three layers of fur.
There is also the matter of body fat: That insulates better than fur (Seals, walruses, etc.)
So , it would depend on both the Werewolf and the Universe it inhabited.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

I would say it depend, some of the werewolves I have in mind would have no problem with higher level heat or cold, then again, I tend to think of characters being a little too strong, which would make everything too easy.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Varies. Most I would say with the shaggy fur look to only have one coat, so only a little better than people, like people wearing sweaters.

if they had wolf and other canine layers of fur, then much colder temperatures. Arctic wolves would be even colder than that.
However if the werewolf acts like a normal wolf than the layers are based on a seasonal change, the causes could vary, The Bowman's wolf from Freefall does this as an ageing thing, but with a human life span causes them to have many months of winter fur and summer fur even when not needed.
but if done as a response to temperature and such as would be more natural even with a human life span it might work against them be exposed to extreme cold during the summer or heat during the winter.

However looking at bog breeds that stay indoors all the time we can see some not developing the right fur when not exposed to the needed constant stimulii.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Rosiewolf »

I would also depend on if the werewolf were to be able to change into a full wolf as well. With all the fur I would say so. But if they are like in Underwolrd (like RedEye said) then they probably couldn't.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

It's too cold when the pads of the feet split and the wolf is lacking enough pack mates to sustain warmth for life. Wolves are enduring creatures, but there is a limit.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

If the Wolf can survive in the bitter cold, so as their Werewolf Cousins.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Also depends on the shape of the werewolf. The skinny Harry Potter werewolf isnt going to be able to keep much heat in. But the Van Helsing with its stocky body and thick fur should be a lot warmer...though their ears should be shorter to keep in heat.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend