Is a werewolf pure evil or not?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Existentialist worms

Post by Scott Gardener »

Not the "good versus evil" bit again!?! Don't humans ever write about anything else?

The whole notions of "good"--things that are likeable--and "evil"--things that are unlikeable--are so subjective and debatable that their existence outside the context of human social mores is debatable. I can hardly believe that they are the two fundamental driving forces of the whole universe.

Case in point--see the previous thread postulating writing or making movies about Nazi werewolves. Nazis are a good example of evil, and yet when you break things down to the level of the individual person, we find that a great many were drawn in gradually, and that the same persons who brutally murdered whole races of people could have instead been ordinary citizens contributing to a happy and productive society (if only Adolf had gotten into that art school--but his work was too harsh, and he "had trouble with the human form"--how's that for an understatement?)--it opens up a huge can of existentialist worms.

Existentialist worms... sure, the early bird gets them, but does it really matter? OK, it's late. I'm going to bed. Good night.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Well then let's all just say it...

Stupidity is the true ambassador to evil.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Night_Hunter wrote:I think that it is what ever the human is. Being a werewolf would be like a new aspect of life to a person. People who tend to be "evil" would see it as a chance of uncontrolled destruction. There are also humans who would vow to never harm another innocent. And good weerewolves fighting bad ones would be awesome. :lol: :x
"Good vs. evil" is about as cliche as you get, but unfortunately, I also have to admit that it might be a realistic turn of events as lycanthropy would more likely than not amplify a human being's true nature.

On the evil side, we all harbor dark thoughts, but we seldom ever act upon them for one very simple reason: We can't. Lycanthropy, however, would give many people a sense of empowerment, maybe even entitlement, and allow them to indulge in their dark desires more readily, or as was mentioned in the Freeborn trailer, use their status as lycanthropy to rationalize otherwise irrational or immoral behavior; otherwise good people could commit evils "for the safety of the Pack" while more selfish individuals would rationalize that they are different from normal human beings and therefore the same rules of rationality and morality do not apply to them.

The negative affects lycanthropy would have on a person are what would in turn amplify the positive. Knowing full well that lycanthropy comes with the temptation to abuse it, other werewolves would regard lycanthropy as a privilege and a responsibility. People that used to regard themselves as just one of a million human beings would instead be one of a dozen or so werewolves and rise to challenges they would have otherwise not have. Instead of asking "what can one man do?" lycanthropy would empower them in a way that would instead force them to ask "if not me, then who?"

So as cliche as "good vs. evil" is, it's a scenario that can be realistically applied to virtually any form of empowerment.

Just one thing: It shouldn't be a "natural" good and evil, or a struggle against a force that is evil just because. Conflict should be the result of conflicting beliefs and personal interests, not just the result of a "blood feud" or the cliche quest for world domination or whatever. I admit I gave into the "good vs. evil" and "werewolf vs. vampire" cliches, but the conflict generates overall as a result of circumstances (most of which were beyond either side's control), the clash is between two "factions" (only one of several werewolf packs and only one of several vampire families local to the area), and the two opposing "alphas" spend more time trying to outthink each other than kill each other; the conflict is more like a chess game than a war up until the very end. It's much more interesting to learn why two forces are opposed than to just set them up against each other and wing it.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer

Post by Black Claw »

Nicely put! :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
War-Ulv
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by War-Ulv »

The same as the humans :D
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Claw »

your right War-Ulv, and that is what probably determines how the werewolf side will react to certaint things, scents, people and to themselves. :howl:  :oo
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Midnight wrote:No.

Is that clear enough?
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
wolf421
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by wolf421 »

I see werewolves to be like humans nether good nor evil. All of us have the ability to be good or evil..
As a old rpg'er that has played white wolfs werewolf game for years off and on among other things, I see the werewolf as the more primal side of us humans.

Good vs: Evil not even close. What I believe to be good overall to some one else many view it as evil.

Werewolves are not good or evil, it depends on the werwolf's preception and those viewing the were's actions from a distance. Just like us humans.

later.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Is a werewolf pure evil or not?

Post by Black Claw »

One thing i've learned is by the decisions you make and making that choice by your own pros and cons and about accepting responsibility of those choices you made now matter how good or evil you in your werewolf form and mastering those instincts that try to rule you. :howl:  :oo
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: devourer of gods!

Re: Is a werewolf pure evil or not?

Post by fenrisz »

my opinion on them is no thy arnt evil at all they are just purely feral they are all insticnt hunters savage and uncontrolled thats all
"the art of forgiveness is not one we're taught"

I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept