Hairy palms??

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Verborgen Tierinmir
Pack Member
Pack Member

Hairy palms??

Post by Verborgen Tierinmir »

so i just watched "never cry werewolf" and aside for it being nothing but i B movie i found it hilarious that the werewolfs have hairy palms in human form.... anyone else have this problem?? :lol:
A wolf may lose his teeth, but ne'er his nature. - Scottish proverb

Wolves do change their hair, but not their hearts. - Ben Johnson
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

It's a silly throwback to genuine werewolf folklore.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

yeeeah....

you know, you *can* get a tan on your palms though.
Irish Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sneezy
Mood: Meh...
Location: If I told you...well let's just say it wouldn't be good

Post by Irish Wolf »

or shave... :lol:
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Hairy Palms? That is a throwback to the real olde Were-wolf stories and legends. According to the stories, Hair growing on the palms of the hands was proof that you were up to no-good as a Were-wolf (note the ancient hyphenation that is also part of the old stuff). :(
Nowdays, it just means that you've had skin grafts. :P

There just isn't any romance these days...sigh... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Post by Black Claw »

Sounds stupid! :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

It's only worse because it doesn't shoot lightning.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Alot of people ahve hairy palms, and a few have unibrows and an index finger that is just as long as their middle one. All of these were "signs" that people were werewolves... All of it crap too. But i feel sorry for people who have a long index finger...
(Why? ... As i didn't know)
Because when ever they point someone thinks their flipping them off...
(oh, stop, stop... That joke was worse than Figarou's...)
Yeah, except his are mostly funny...
(Agreed)
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

I agree with Werewolf Keeper. Some movie makers just base werewolves off legends and don't come up with anything creative themselves.
Personally, I think that the whole hairy palms thing is kinda weird. Plenty of people have excessive hair growth on their palms (well, also their whole body basically) and it doesn't make them a werewolf.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

i can just see it

"Night of the Hairy Palmed guy, with a unibrow and an index figner as long as his middle finger." OOOOOOHHHHHH! Scary. :roll:

And there is also the "Werewolf Disease", where people have overactive hairgrowth that causes hair to cover their entire bodies. They're called werewolves too, and are staples in some Mexican circuses.
All because of a little more hair than everyone else...

Oh and Rosiewolf? Thanks.
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

I never understood the hair palm thing in the folklore. while wolves have fur between their "fingers" for warmth the equivalent area to the palm has pads.

Now that would be a weird trait if it remained in human form, to have pads on one's hands. try explaining those (uh really thick black calusis)
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Rhuen wrote:I never understood the hair palm thing in the folklore. while wolves have fur between their "fingers" for warmth the equivalent area to the palm has pads.

Now that would be a weird trait if it remained in human form, to have pads on one's hands. try explaining those (uh really thick black calusis)
half the time i don't understand the legends
Why can't werewolves cross running water, but can swim?
Why can't werewolves stand red roses?
Why is silver the only metal that can kill a werewolf?

Legends are stories that start off as true, are warped through telling from mouth to mouth, and ended up as what we have now... I didn't get the hairy palms either. Nor did i get the whole unibrow thing. I'm guesing the index finger thing is because that is true.

but the rest... well i think i did hear something about silver being the moons light turned against the wolves or something. But that came the book Blood and Chocolate, so i doubt that is true...
V, from V for Vendetta.

RedEye

Post by RedEye »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:
Rhuen wrote:I never understood the hair palm thing in the folklore. while wolves have fur between their "fingers" for warmth the equivalent area to the palm has pads.

half the time i don't understand the legends

Legends are stories that start off as true, are warped through telling from mouth to mouth, and ended up as what we have now... I didn't get the hairy palms either. Nor did i get the whole unibrow thing. I'm guesing the index finger thing is because that is true.

but the rest... well i think i did hear something about silver being the moons light turned against the wolves or something. But that came the book Blood and Chocolate, so i doubt that is true...
Running water was supposedly uncrossible by something totally evil. Hitler crossed a lot of running water without ill effect.
Red Roses supposedly represented the "Passion" of the Christ, and were a symbol of his mother-Mary. The "Passion" I'm not so sure about, but you do NOT want to get on the bad side of a God's MOTHER. ANY God's Mother, for that matter...
Silver was symbolic of the Moon, which gave Werewolves their ability to Shift. Getting shot with your power-metal is gonna hurt...bad. Getting shot with anything isn't much fun, either... :cry:

Remember, a lot of legends have been rendered strange by the power of the great charlatan, Hollywood. Mix & Match, whatever sells the film... :roll:
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

The silver bullet I understand was added on by hollywood, based on the folklore that throwing silver over a werewolf's head would cause it to revert to human form.

guess its kind of an expansion on that folklore, that a direct piercing hit by a metal able to do that would be fatal.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Also heard that hollywood was the one who came up with the Full Moon thing. If i remember, most of the legends never even spoke of the full moon turning humans into werewolves... Did i just repeat something someone else said on the boards a while ago, and i just completely forgot about? ??
(Maybe... but that helps... not surprised RedEye knows that either.)
What doesn't he know?
(the winning lottery numbers? :D)
V, from V for Vendetta.

MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Arent hairy palms what church leaders warn teenagers about getting for their "inappropriate behavior" when they're alone?

:lol: Sorry. Hope that was broad enough a way of putting it.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

MoonKit wrote:Arent hairy palms what church leaders warn teenagers about getting for their "inappropriate behavior" when they're alone?

:lol: Sorry. Hope that was broad enough a way of putting it.
If that were fact, there would be a lot of bald guys who wouldn't need Rogaine. :lol:

Actually though, according to the Wiki, there are a lot of conditions that might cause hair growth on the palms of the hands...of both genders. The follicles are there, apparently; but they are just inactive, like the ones on the non-beard areas of the face and soles of the feet. Most people who do have follicle activity in those areas wear the hair off in daily activity.

Isn't the Wiki fun?
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Rhuen wrote:The silver bullet I understand was added on by hollywood, based on the folklore that throwing silver over a werewolf's head would cause it to revert to human form.

guess its kind of an expansion on that folklore, that a direct piercing hit by a metal able to do that would be fatal.
Silver is, additionally, oft considered a holy metal.

Holy metals are oft choice for creating something to repel an unholy creature.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Aki wrote:
Rhuen wrote:The silver bullet I understand was added on by hollywood, based on the folklore that throwing silver over a werewolf's head would cause it to revert to human form.

Silver is, additionally, oft considered a holy metal.

Holy metals are oft choice for creating something to repel an unholy creature.
in Catholocism (whome we must look at as the source more Medeval European myths)
Gold=God the Father

Silver=Jesus Christ

Glass=The Holy Spirit.
Distorted Realism
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Thinking with portals

Post by Distorted Realism »

Hmm no fingerfoods for weres then...
If sleep is an escape for us, than we are all cowards. We spend one third of our life trying to get away...
-The Dark Dimension
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re:

Post by Terastas »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:
Rhuen wrote:half the time i don't understand the legends
RedEye pretty much hit the nail on the head with all of these.

Werewolves were said not to be able to cross running water for the same reasons vampires could not: because running water was thought to be cleansing and wash away one's sins, therefore an inherently evil creature like a werewolf or vampire could not cross it.

Early Christians identified the five petals of the rose with the five wounds of Christ, adopted the red rose as a symbol of Christian martyrs and further associated it with the virgin Mary. The red rose was thought to be pure/holy, and it was therefore thought that inherently evil creatures could not withstand it.

Silver has two separate interpretations. On one hand, it's the lunar metal (opposite gold, the solar metal), and since werewolves are associated with the moon, it was thought that the lunar metal would have a greater affect on them. Silver was also thought to be pure, and just like with the red rose and running water, the assumption was that inherently evil creatures would be opposed to anything pure or holy in nature.

Hairy palms, on the other hand, are an old wives' tale and are supposedly a consequence of masturbation. Back then, the assumption was that all things were completely black or white, so anyone who was sinful in one way was sinful in every way, so many self-proclaimed indicators of bad character or bad behavior were in turn attributed to the vampire and werewolf legends.

Unibrows were considered a sign of bad character in general. I guess the idea is that, while not all bad people are werewolves, all werewolves are bad people, so the unibrow was included as well.
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Re: Hairy palms??

Post by LunarCarnivore »

ok this is kinda ridiculous, hairy palms? unibrows? werewolf folklore is messed up. the only time the old folklore was any good was in the movie "the Company of Wolves" or w/e its called. I have a unibrow, i shave it off. hell i have hair everywhere! its ridiculous to think that ppl who were hairy like me were actually persecuted in the old days. stupid humanity. the really stupid thing is, we haven't even really grown up. if we found out werewolves were real humanity would freak out! i even started a thread on the subject: http://thepack.network/thepackboard/vie ... =41&t=7447

but please, lets just throw some of this nonsense out the window! Hairy palms! gah!
(sorry if i ranted there, im in a bad mood)
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Wolf-man-24 wrote:ok this is kinda ridiculous, hairy palms? unibrows? werewolf folklore is messed up. the only time the old folklore was any good was in the movie "the Company of Wolves" or w/e its called. I have a unibrow, i shave it off. hell i have hair everywhere! its ridiculous to think that ppl who were hairy like me were actually persecuted in the old days. stupid humanity. the really stupid thing is, we haven't even really grown up. if we found out werewolves were real humanity would freak out! i even started a thread on the subject: http://thepack.network/thepackboard/vie ... =41&t=7447

but please, lets just throw some of this nonsense out the window! Hairy palms! gah!
(sorry if i ranted there, im in a bad mood)
Hey, I'm all for throwing it out too. It's total crap for the most part.

Part of it was just general superstition and paranoia running rampant. The other part of it was the monarchy, clergy etc. making up imaginary evils to keep the people afraid and under their control.

Some things, such as a werewolf's relation to silver and the full moon, are harder parted with than others because they did solidify in the modern mainstream perspective, but those few elements are just as well founded as everything else and therefore just as easily discarded.
Konietzko
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Konietzko »

I'd heard this before, and often found it entertaining that it was also connected to self-gratification. :lol: Always figured if it was true, everyone in the world would have sasquatch hands.
"Unchained,
Unrestrained,
Unbroken,
In my world...
The Gods have fangs."
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:Also heard that hollywood was the one who came up with the Full Moon thing. If i remember, most of the legends never even spoke of the full moon turning humans into werewolves...
Although the folklore doesn't seem to mention any connection between the Moon and Werewolves, this motif can be found long before the first Hollywood Werewolf/Wolfman movies. Specifically in the writings of a 13th century canon lawyer - Gervase of Tilbury, who was likely to be the first person to do the association.

The discussion reminded me of "Hairy Palms" picture from http://www.deviantart.com (by Bay-Silver-Werewolf).
:lol:
I'd rather not post the link itself. Some people might consider it inapropriate.