Strongest animal a werewolf could go toe to toe with?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Strongest animal a werewolf could go toe to toe with?

Post by Rhuen »

Okay yes, this another how strong should a werewolf be type of thread. But rather than using comic book comparisons such as :should they be able to punch super-man, or how big a car should they be able to lift?

I would like to move this topic into real world physics. (assuming aside how a werewolf could exist in real world physics) I am talking strength, stamina, and agility vs real world large predators and other animals.

recently I saw that old video floating about of the unfortunate (yet granted very foolish) man who got out of his car and got eaten by lions. One of my thoughts (after the more realisitic thoughts) was about none-human supernatural predators such as werewolve and vampires against real world natural predators of human beings.

Vampires, werewolves, seducers such as the Lorelie and Succubi, zombies, ect....prey on humans. but humans are physically weak creatures, and many natural animals with zero supernatural powers can easily prey on people in a natural setting (no guns or what not) such as Lions, tigers, crocs, sharks, bears, ect...

so what if we take something like a werewolf and move it outside of the cities and towns, and far away from the areas people have "cultivated" for their own survival and into the deep woods, the swamps, and the savannah, placeing them against man's natural predators.

so how well should a werewolf be able to fight or compare to such animals?
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Rosiewolf »

You are saying that if the werewolf were to fight tigers, lions, etc, that the werewolf would be in his or her's wolf form, correct?
If that is the case, then I would say it would depend on how strong and how good of a fighter a werewolf is. It might also depend on the size of the werewolf in human form, because, of course, that would affect the size of the werewolf's wolf form.
I would say that maybe the werewolf might have a fair chance; the chance would be a lot better then a regular wolf's chance because I highly doubt a wolf could stand up to a lion.
So I really don't know what would happen.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Yes, I was implying the werewolf would be in is "werewolf" form, or Gestalt as folks around these parts insist upon calling the hybrid form.

and the question was basically how strong should a werewolf be? using real world animals as examples on if it should be able to go toe to toe with them, or how big or how strong an animal should be a (werewolf's limit in being able to face off against).
Irish Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sneezy
Mood: Meh...
Location: If I told you...well let's just say it wouldn't be good

Post by Irish Wolf »

I think it depends on your idea of a werewolf. If it's a massive Gestalt with super human strength very few animals will have a chance, but if it's similar to a wolf with slight differences then it will have about the same chance as a regular wolf.

Thats the only problem with discussions like this, we have different ideas of what a werewolf is.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

As I said in the last thread concerning the strength of a werewolf, I attribute their increased physical capabilities, not to the werewolf form itself, but to their regenerative capacity, and with it, their increased threshold for pain. Human beings are much more capable than we give ourselves credit for, but we can never actually push ourselves to our real physical limits because the pain is too great.

Werewolves, being regenerators, would have an increased threshold for pain, but it would still vary from one werewolf to another.

Also, whether or not a werewolf could contend with a lion or tiger doesn't depend on which is stronger. Even a normal human being could lift a lion assuming it would let him (demonstrated here at 0:06 and here at 0:32). However, big cats don't kill by overpowering their prey, they kill by targeting the vitals in its neck.

So if a werewolf were to contend with a lion or some other big cat, it would be less about strength and more a matter of how exposed the werewolf's vitals are and how well he guards them.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Lemmesee... the strongest animal that a Werewolf could go toe to toe with...
That lets out whales; no toes.
Ditto the Were Giant Squid...no toes again (but lots of tentacles...) :lol:

How about a Were Mammoth? Toes, check. Strong, check. Ability to turn Werewolf into a tent peg...check... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

In human form, they have greatly increased abilities, so they could at least defend themselves or escape from any animal. In the wolf form, while they may not be a match in size, they do have human intelligence which will also allow them to defend/escape. In werewolf form, they could take down any animal-bears, lions, alligators, elephants (I know I'll get flack for that one), what have you. They're extremely powerful and intelligent! :howl:  :oo
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

If they can deal with those animals, can a werewolf kill a Tyrannosaurus Rex?
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

IndianaJones wrote:If they can deal with those animals, can a werewolf kill a Tyrannosaurus Rex?
Sure, if they can:

- Drive around the head, legs and tail without dying.

- Climb up to the head with their nails.

- Gouge the eyes before detonating C4 stuffed inside the sockets.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Lazywolf wrote:In human form, they have greatly increased abilities, so they could at least defend themselves or escape from any animal. In the wolf form, while they may not be a match in size, they do have human intelligence which will also allow them to defend/escape. In werewolf form, they could take down any animal-bears, lions, alligators, elephants (I know I'll get flack for that one), what have you. They're extremely powerful and intelligent! :howl:  :oo
If the werewolf was Jon Talbain I could see that,

but on average, the average werewolf shouldn't be too overpowered. Honestly I feel it takes away from the species for every one of them to be able to crack and elephant's skull or throw cars around.

I'd say for my tastes the average werewolf should be able to go toe to toe with a lion, but not with out getting seriously hurt in the process.

human sized, about as strong as a lion and as fast, and with claws and fangs.
Much higher than that and it goes from "werewolf" to "demonwolf".
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

IndianaJones wrote:If they can deal with those animals, can a werewolf kill a Tyrannosaurus Rex?
As long as he stays still right up until the moment he attacks. 8)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Infinite_Path
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Time's Riverbed

a theory

Post by Infinite_Path »

It seems to me that a werewolf, and were's in general, should be slightly weaker than the source animals combined.

I.E. a werewolf would lose if pitted against a wolf and a human working together.
Life is like Pi, it goes forever, yet never repeats. (and is best served with ice cream)
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: Strongest animal a werewolf could go toe to toe with?

Post by Volkodlak »

Ok,

Fear we all have it and if werewolf have human mind when changed he could freeze when he see charging animal or fight worse because hes afraid,but not all have same amount of it so not all WWs would be afraid. And you can have bruce lee fighting skills and superhuman strength witch wont help you if you are afraid or if you freeze.
So if we take away fear and emotions things that will matter are skills,intelligence and experience we all know that human can kill a bear,lion and tiger with a spear so if we are capable of killing them why werewolf wouldnt be able too. Werewolf could battle a lion, tiger and brown bear with grappling and cutting their neck with claws,but hes in disadvantage because lion, tiger and brown bear are weighting more, but even with superhuman strength werewolf would need a weapon too defeat bigger bears like grizzly, kodiak and polar bear because weight difference is too big.

heres my shorter answer: Werewolf can go without weapons against brown bear,lion and tiger, but with weapons he can go against grizzly and kodiak bear.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

That's only if you assume the werewolf is of an equal intelligence to the lion or bear.

Which I don't. Ergo, a werewolf wouldn't necessarily need to be fast or strong to kill a lion or bear. All he'd really need is good timing and good aim.

He wouldn't even need claws or fangs. A well-timed punch to the throat could easily have the same results.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Terastas wrote:That's only if you assume the werewolf is of an equal intelligence to the lion or bear.
im not assuming that in my opinion werewolf is intelligent as you and i without any new instincts clouding his mind a so he is suspicable too fear,freezing and panic as normal human.
Terastas wrote: Ergo, a werewolf wouldn't necessarily need to be fast or strong to kill a lion or bear. All he'd really need is good timing and good aim.

He wouldn't even need claws or fangs. A well-timed punch to the throat could easily have the same results.
i agree with you here, but enemy will not stay still and werewolf needs too know what too do just becoming werewolf does not gives you combat skill or knowlage of where too strike your target.

Other thing if werewolf seeks fight with animal he would be prepared for fight, but if he ecounters it and needs to defend himself he would need to do create a plan fast how too deal with danger while animal is starting to attack.
Last edited by Volkodlak on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Keep in mind also that regeneration can play a part here. Most wild predators try (to some extent at any rate) to avoid conflicts with other predators that would wind up injuring them. Even if they win the fight, they can very easily wind up too injured to hunt effectively. That can be a death sentence in and of itself.

Werewolves have less to fear from that sort of thing. It doesn't necessarily mean they can take down a Grizzly bear, but it might mean that they can hang in the fight long enough to drive it off. If that seems unreasonable, remember that banging a couple of pots together is usually enough to scare off the average bear. Predators are into survival, not comic book combat.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

uniform good post and i agree with you, but i think OP was kinda looking into comic book fight
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Well, if it's a comic book fight, then just have the werewolf pick up a bus and hit the bear over the head with it -- then use his Cyclops-Laser-Blaster power to incinerate it just for good measure.
:thpt2:

Seriously, if I were a werewolf and was worried about lions and tigers and bears (oh my!), here's what I'd do: Do what everybody else does and buy a big gun and keep it over the mantle.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

uniform ecounters with animals do happen in forests and i belive OP wanted too know with what wild animal WW can go toe to toe without human made weapons.
I had ecounters with bear and wild hog, but im not sure what was worse taking out trash and come face to face with young bear or wild hogs charging at you from the bushes.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Wild hogs. Absolutely wild hogs. I'd rather take on a bear any day instead of wild hogs. Those damn things are evil. Granted, I'm talking about Black Bears, here. Grizzlies or Polars, might change the equation some I guess. Anyway, even if I were a werewolf, I'd still take a gun if I were walking in a forest with any of those things. You can't tell the charging Grizzly Bear to wait 30 minutes so you can finish your transformation. And if I were living in a place with Grizzlies, I'd have at a minimum a .44 Magnum...

...unless I also had the Cyclops Laser Blaster power. Because, that would totally be awesome.
:cyborg3:
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

uniform i would take the gun too, but i think OP meant transformed WW so i belive gun would be kinda painful for WW ears so no guns
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

In my opinion werewolves would be like wolves. Wolves are not loners like cats, they are social animals. So I think that after transforming, if the possibility of forming a pack is there he or she would take it.

Just like with normal wolves, I don't think werewolves would just take on other animals by itself. Wolves are clever animals and work together, so I think werewolves should reflect that.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Morkulv wrote:In my opinion werewolves would be like wolves. Wolves are not loners like cats, they are social animals. So I think that after transforming, if the possibility of forming a pack is there he or she would take it.

Just like with normal wolves, I don't think werewolves would just take on other animals by itself. Wolves are clever animals and work together, so I think werewolves should reflect that.
i see diffrent opinions on werewolfs in my view werewolfs have human mentality so each werewolf is diffrent some are loners some are not.

lets forget about this social stuff here is question about one werewolf.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I think it would go back to what the powers of the werewolf were. If it's the comic book werewolf that can tear apart a car, then I think you just answered your own question. If it's more like the werewolves of Freeborn or when transformed is "just a wolf", then it would get closer to whatever an ordinary wolf would willingly fight -- black bears (but not Grizzlies), other wolves, and the like.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

uniform you are right. besides my ideal werewolf(lycan) would have serious troubles with taking down anything bigger than black bear even domestic horse would couse problem to him becouse of weight diffrence