werewolf culture?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

werewolf culture?

Post by Anubis »

what if werewolves have a culture of thier very own. what would you think what it would be like.
i personally think it be a mixure of native american and camilot worrior society. thing and japan's obsseision with honor and tridition.
THE GAME

My Armory
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

first of C-A-M-E-L-O-T there got that out of the way. Second are you asuming that normal people would still exist, because if they did I'am quite convinced that there would probably be like the Chinese and wall themselves in so that there culture isn't ruined (of course the Chinese only did it because the English gave them Opium),
The whole honor thing would most likely end in a fight to the death(much like the Japanese :kasa: )
here is a question i couldn't answer (I was playing "Rise of Nations" and came up with this question) every civilization has there own building prefrences and style so if the ww had there own culture what would their structures look like?
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Werewolves would proably have a culture from where they live. Have a Japanese culture in Japan, and African culture WWs in Africa, ect.

Hmm, if WWs made their own, uniqe style houses, it could be den-like. Stairs leading downward into the den. Proably have slanted roofs... :D Fun to make up your own culture :wink:
Wynd
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wynd »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62095559@N00/2015264/

Just a thought...someone said Den-like and this came to mind. Also, there are things now called "EarthShips", which are solar and hydro powered homes made from mostly recycled stuff...tires, cans, etc. I personally think it's an awesome idea and would love to one day build an Earthship/hobbit hole home with my mate. They are almost entirely self-sufficient depending on how they are built, and can allow you to live "off the grid", with no need for city water, electricity, etc.

Self sufficient wulfies? Sounds about right.
"Sometimes I think I've been bad an' God sent me to Hell."

"This isn't Hell but you can see it from here..."
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

A lot of the culture would by design center around maintaining secrecy, and thus I agree that the tendancy would be to retain the general culture of the humans around them.

I say human instead of wolf cultures, because humans tend to be more dominating of the landscape and terrain, so as an adaptive survival technique if for no other reason, it would make sense to integrate with or remain integrated with human society. That, and most of us if turned would still want our air conditioning and broadband Internet.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
JonathanBaine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JonathanBaine »

Werewolves don't exist. :D
Last edited by JonathanBaine on Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Wynd wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/62095559@N00/2015264/

Just a thought...someone said Den-like and this came to mind. Also, there are things now called "EarthShips", which are solar and hydro powered homes made from mostly recycled stuff...tires, cans, etc. I personally think it's an awesome idea and would love to one day build an Earthship/hobbit hole home with my mate. They are almost entirely self-sufficient depending on how they are built, and can allow you to live "off the grid", with no need for city water, electricity, etc.

Self sufficient wulfies? Sounds about right.
Well... First and foremost, this is under the assumption that there actually are enough werewolves to have a society. For the numbers we're talking about, werewolves would have to blend in with crowds and stay low under the radar unless they want to be exposed, but if werewolves were a big enough demographic in a specific country to have their own population, the Hobbit holes don't sound too farfetched as the preferred werewolf living space; they have all the accomodations of human living and the general structure and security of a wolf den. All they'd need to do is make them a little bigger.

As for the society... Well, by current modern-day terms, the only werewolves that could have survived through the Northern hemisphere's centuries of violence and paranoia would be those that do their best to stay as discrete as possible. Of course, if we're just talking about some fantasy world where werewolves would prosperous enough to develop their own architecture, their societies could be as diverse as many human societies are, from promoting peace and welcoming visitors, to isolating themselves in remote locations to psychotic domineering wardances -- it's all open to interpretation.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Okay, in a fantasy setting if there were enough wolf-men to create thier own culture and they had enough land to develop semi-independent. I could possibly see a somewhat honor boundfamily centric culture going on. Though saying it'd be styled after native americans, the japanese, or camalot, is kinda silly. Every culture is unique in it's own way, chances are a culture of wolf men, would be a even more unique.

However, in a more realistic setting, werewolf culture would pretty much be non-existent. Simply put there wouldn't be enough werewolves to form a culture distinct from the culture surrounding them.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

cultures generaklly develop in isolation- so there probably wouldn't be any one culture.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

This is an idea I had (anyone read it before, lmk so I can abandon it before I fill it out any further)

They have their own settlements, in a remote mountanous area, they provide their own electricity(wind & water), their own food, etc, and purposefully isolate themselves from the rest of the world. They live in 'normal' houses, as it would be hard to explain a cave away if a normal human dropped in.

They are not allowed to intermate. . they must go outside the clan. . .and to do that, they have to mate with humans. . upon the age of 18, those who have control of the change, are sent out to live with 'mentors'. These are retired pack members who are part of the 'normal world', to help provide monetarily for the items the clan can't provide for themselves(medicines, clothes, etc). They go to college(were home schooled before), get jobs, and explore the 'normal' world until such time as they find a perfect mate.

This is where it gets fuzzy, but I'm still working on it. . .They don't believe in Birth control, and aim to get pregnant fast and furious. . .If female, as soon as the deed is done, they move back to the clan, to whelp it with their own nursemaids(nothing is discernible as were in an infant, not until hormones kick in). If male, they have the choice of marry, and procreate as many as possible, before kidnapping them all and moving back to the clan(effectively disappearing without a trace), or just kidnapping the infant as soon after the birth as possible.

Like I said, i'm still working it out.
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

I was going to make a new thread about Pack size and society, but got the feeling someone would say it was already, done.

Although my thoughts are very different than the flow here so far.
I wouldn't think of werewolf towns like Furre villages in Canada in some strange universe or something.

But for more fewer numbers wild werewolves.

I see small packs, with few children, no litters but maybe born as one or two. which makes sense for larger longer lived life forms.

I would see a society set on survival and just existing, with only passing interest in human affairs. only worrying about avoiding the "lights" as human settlements would smell terrible and at night be displeasing to the eyes. With only occasional encounters as people encroach on werewolf territory. But thanks to disbelief in them and that humans don't always know what they have seen they would remain safe.

I would also forsee them as nomadic rather than staying in any one area. which would minimize the chances of too many sightings rakeing up in any one area. and they would follow prey migrations. Or seasonal travel.

Those that mix themselves into human society I would see as very small groups like maybe four at the most (a small family unit) and only one per city or so. Extremly territorial regardless of pack size.
But with things like Social Security cards, credit cards, birth certificats and such I can't see them mixing into society all that well. Maybe hideing around in old buildings and park areas, and staying in a human form more often than they might like.
Which would make the wilderness alot more desirable.

Of course people say, "okay disbelief and all that but how can they stay secret when they hunt and move about?" simple answear, they are nocturnal, avoid the smell of cars and avoid lights. So they travel where you are not. and when few are awake. Many rare animals near habited areas stayed that way because the were simply nocturnal and they weren't trying to avoid being seen.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Werewolves =/= Independent religion.

My main point of concern: "You have very little vestiges of humanity, sire, and what's more, you have the wolf muzzle. The muzzle of our god."

How many car jocks and poacher junkies do you think would laugh at something like that? They'd think you run cults or something...

I can, however, see a kind of broad relationship between lycanthropes regardless of species. Like the homie respect kinda thing. Say, you have a buddhist were-rooster and a hindu were-snake. They respect each other because they're more than just human. And either one of them can best the other in a fight too.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I am with those that say they would be of as many different cultures as the regular humans around them.

Some Groups/Packs may develop thier own traditions over time...but I think they would all be off-shoots of existing religions and sub-cultures, with variations and ammendments to accept and perhaps provide various religiously centered explanations for thier existance.

Some Buddhist Werewolves...Jewish Werewolves...Cherokee Werewolves...African Bush Werewolves...Wiccan Werewolves...

...Geek-Furry-Otaku-Christian Werewolves...

As many different kinds as there are different cultures in the world.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

JonathanBaine wrote:Werewolves don't exist. :D
Shesh. Ruin the fun. :D :wink:

I think the cultures would vary but I think they might have close knit groups and stronge social orders and defiantly a lot of pride.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

yeah. i think that it would be greatly based on the nearby people population. still, the den-like houses sound reasonable, too.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

possibly quite barbaric.....maybe....a little...down to earth.(while in human form).....loners....drifters....um..... :D