Werewolves v.s Rapists

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
lycan94
Legendary
Legendary

Werewolves v.s Rapists

Post by lycan94 »

I know that a lot of media portrays werewolves as monsters who like to rape, pillage and plunder, but I always portray them in my fiction as having the instinct that basicly says "Rapist= Dead". Now that's just my oppinion, but I'm interestted in what others say.
Death is the final reminder of our own mortality.
When all my ennimies die, I hope i have the strength to spit on their graves or the money to pay someone to do it for me
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Werewolves v.s Rapists

Post by Berserker »

Need more justification or explanation to comment. Are your werewolves good/bad/indifferent? So you're saying they hate rapists?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

The whole "werewolf = rapist" thing is a Hollywood byproduct. See, Hollywood thinks all werewolf movies are naturally crap, and that the only people that will watch that kind of crap are teens and young adults. Hollywood therefore has distorted werewolves into an image which they think better fits their target audience, and in this case, Hollywood's impression of teens and young adults is that they are obsessed with sex and violence. Therefore, Hollywood typically provides them with werewolves who are very sexual and very brutal.

You can sort of see the same "sexifying" going on with vampires too, but since vampires are easier for human actors to portray, they haven't been sexified any more than what is typical of Hollywood in the 21st century. The rape element is a result of Hollywood's inability to provide a werewolf that is animated enough to be anything other than aggressive.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Terastas wrote:The whole "werewolf = rapist" thing is a Hollywood byproduct. See, Hollywood thinks all werewolf movies are naturally crap, and that the only people that will watch that kind of crap are teens and young adults. Hollywood therefore has distorted werewolves into an image which they think better fits their target audience, and in this case, Hollywood's impression of teens and young adults is that they are obsessed with sex and violence. Therefore, Hollywood typically provides them with werewolves who are very sexual and very brutal.
Not just Hollywood. The written world as well. Perhaps even moreso.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Rape is a particularly nasty crime, and it's hard to picture anyone doing so justifiably. We can kind of see murder under extreme circumstances--"Of course I did it; he threatened my family, kidnapped my dog, and when I learned that before he moved in, he was a warlord working with the Janaweed, raiding villages in Darfur, well, you know, I had to." But, it's pretty hard to picture any circumstances what-so-ever that would make rape justifiable. It's categorically similar to molesting children.

By envisioning characters who are unlikeable and deserving of getting horribly mangled, our superego lets us off the hook, so to speak, to enjoy picturing them getting mangled and slaughtered horrifically. The werewolf pulls out his intestines and shows it to him while he's still breathing? That's cool. Unless you're a psychopath, you wouldn't feel the same way if the werewolf's victim was a dog groomer struggling to feed three kids.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I would think that most Werewolves would oppose rape (violently), since there is a chance that nine months later...oops, there goes the Secret! :cry:

There is also the chance that the victim would become a Werewolf as well. :femshft Now, what sensible lycanthrope wants to have another lycanthrope looking for him with a desire to "Share the experience?" :x
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

RedEye wrote:I would think that most Werewolves would oppose rape (violently), since there is a chance that nine months later...oops, there goes the Secret! :cry:

There is also the chance that the victim would become a Werewolf as well. :femshft Now, what sensible lycanthrope wants to have another lycanthrope looking for him with a desire to "Share the experience?" :x
Sounds like the begining of a good revenge story :evil:
"Remember me?" :femshft
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

A rapist can only do so much until the moment the victim would break the rapist's genitals mid-erection, bare-handed.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Considering that canids have cartilege in their..."parts", the breakage scene is quite real.

Then it would heal all crooked and bumpy... :lol:
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

Scott got it right. If a werewolf was murdering someone "good" then the audience will feel horrified about it. But if that person is "bad" its A OK! On rare occasions you will get some people where they still don't think the "bad" deserved what they got and this sympathy fails. Though as I said I am one of those view people and I willing to bet its rare. Though you can hardly say to someone "You must find this killing good, the guy deserved it." (I am going to make a thread on this).

If you want to know what werewolves think of rapists then apply what a normal person would think. Werewolves are not going to change on that view at all. Problem is that like any human death, a rapist's death is going to get people looking for the said person which would put the killer in trouble. For this reason they will not be so gung ho in killing or at least more careful about it. If 5 rapists turn up dead due to "to animal attacks" then that is still going to stir up trouble with people looking for these "wild dogs". If a were werre to kill it would have to be quite clean, say snapping ones neck.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

It could go either way. On one hand, a werewolf can't just kill anyone he disagrees with, because eventually the bodies would pile up and the police presence would increase as they start to look for the "brutal vigilante."

On the other hand, it should also be in a werewolf's best interest to keep the rapists, drug dealers etc. from attracting a greater police presence, because the more people are prowling around the area, the harder it will be for him to assume gestalt form without being seen.

So I think it would be in a werewolf's best interest to be the good Samaritan, but counterproductive for them to go all the way to vigilante.
archangel_athena
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: isabella

Post by archangel_athena »

We'r not rapists....well not the current generations at least...now our ansestors came from a more primal way of thinking and were known for that sort of thing....any thing else you want to know? :|
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

archangel_athena wrote:We'r not rapists....well not the current generations at least...now our ansestors came from a more primal way of thinking and were known for that sort of thing....any thing else you want to know? :|
Really? Wolves have one of the most primal ways of thinking in nature, and they aren't rapists. In fact, rape is a human thing.

(Oh, and I think you missed the memo to not pretend to be a werewolf. :wink: )
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Funny ... this topic is not what I thought it was going to be about at all, from reading the title.

The conversation seems to be about what a Werewolves attitude towards rapists is ...

... while the profound question that arose in my mind from the subject title was ... "In what way does a Werewolf differ from a rapist, if he/she bites someone against their will and their life is changed forever as a result of that forced invasion of someone else's body?"

Ponder that one for a while.

If it is a horrid crime for a man to forcefully have sex with a woman and (possibly) get her pregnant (which I agree that it is), [or ManxMan, WomanxWoman, WomanxMan, as all happen] then wouldn't it be comparable for a Human who is host to Lycanthropy to bite/infect another Human being? ... either way, the act has a lasting effect on the person (physically and psychologically).

In that effect ... would a Werewolf attack that resulted in a New Werewolf be considered as bad as an act of RAPE?

Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Yes, Vuldari, but only if we're talking about a much more figurative definition of the word "rape," one that unfortunately allows for a slippery slope. (Do parasites rape us? Viruses? What about nightmares? Even ideas? ...and so forth.)

The most literal and common definition of rape must include sexual intercourse, for which werewolfism may occasionally admit (but more often, only imply.)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Berserker wrote:Yes, Vuldari, but only if we're talking about a much more figurative definition of the word "rape," one that unfortunately allows for a slippery slope. (Do parasites rape us? Viruses? What about nightmares? Even ideas? ...and so forth.)

The most literal and common definition of rape must include sexual intercourse, for which werewolfism may occasionally admit (but more often, only imply.)
I think you misread my point.

I was not suggesting that being infected with Lycanthropy IS "Rape" (I never said that in my argument, though that in and of itself is an interesting suggestion), but rather that a bite from a Werewolf (if it happens against the will of the person being bitten) would logically be as cruel as an act of Rape, and thus a crime in the same League and Category as said act.

Even if one argued that Lycanthropy is a "Blessing" and not a "Curse" and that they personally believed that becoming a Werewolf would only improve the bitee's life ... the same could be said about Sex Being pleasurable, and becoming pregnant being a "Blessing" as well ...

The fact remaining in the end that, if it was forced upon the person against their will, the act becomes a CRIME ... and a cruel and traumatizing one at that.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Oh. Well yeah.

The act of the bite itself? Maybe not as psychologically traumatic as rape, I don't know... depends on the circumstances.

The unexpected transformation afterward? I would think it would be a more cruel thing than even rape would impose! What a shock! Enough to drive someone insane.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

From the wolf side, specifically the female's:

Female wolves control the mating game. They and they alone decide when and who they'll have sex with, and God/dess help you otherwise. Watch what happens if a male wolf, even her own mate, tries to mount her when she's not in the mood: it's three seconds of pure, pitched, fangs-flashing, shrieking incarnate hell on earth! That goes double if it's not her mate that's making the attempt: as for him, he'll be right there fixing to hand the cad his liver in a brown paper bag.

You don't rape a female wolf! She'll rip you like a pillowcase! And remember, it's the young females who accomplish the larger percentage of the pack's kills.

So. We've established that rape is a crime most severely punished in wolf society. They come down heavier on rape than humanity does.
ImageImageImageImage
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Vuldari wrote:I was not suggesting that being infected with Lycanthropy IS "Rape" (I never said that in my argument, though that in and of itself is an interesting suggestion), but rather that a bite from a Werewolf (if it happens against the will of the person being bitten) would logically be as cruel as an act of Rape, and thus a crime in the same League and Category as said act.
The difference, however, is that infecting someone can be excusable the same way murder can.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I actually have to agree with Vuldari on this one; "giving" lycanthropy to an unwilling recipient is a violation of one's body, so the point is made.

But, before the topic took this direction, another interesting point was also brought up. It would be dangerous for a werewolf as a vigilantee to kill criminals. One body mutilated by an animal gets a picture in the paper. Five bodies mutilated by an animal gets on the nightly news and spawns a hunt for the animal at large. Five mutilated bodies with something in common that should not matter to wild animals draws investigators suspecting foul play. For werewolves wanting to avoid drawing attention, that's bad... really bad. That's drop what you're doing, change your name, and get out of town forever bad, especially if there are other werewolves around whose also in fear of getting exposed.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
heartlessfang
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: I'm a manga artist/comic artist/writer. I've taken martial arts for about 11 years. Never played any of the Werewolf card games.
Mood: RAR!

Post by heartlessfang »

That's where specialized werewolf "erasers/asassins" come into play! instead of mangling them, which after the second one would draw too much attention, just one nice slash to the jugular, or a nice punch to the chest to shatter ribcage and impale vital organs,(*insert various ninja killing techniques here*) etc,etc.....can solve that little animal attack thing :D . Okay I'm done.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

- Train werewolf in martial arts. Toughen the body, seal off any vulnerable gaps, blunt striking and grappling only. Gi and other uniforms not needed in street fights, it might save people of their hysterical laughing.

- Be sure werewolf is willing to file off every claw so it's blunt. Put on a muzzle just in case habit kicks in.

- Confirm werewolf can provide means to cut with man-made tools.

- Remind werewolf to tell other werewolves that this isn't about betraying the so-called bestial values of being a werewolf.

Just to name a few.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Howzabout: One Werewolf complete with a great, big, club (spike optional)?

For that matter, part of a car or truck grill would work nicely when attached to said club, as a distraction.

"The marks on the body look like he was hit by an old Chevy pickup."

"Yeah, but we found him on a rooftop!"

"Must'a been a real hard impact, then." :roll:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:"The marks on the body look like he was hit by an old Chevy pickup."

"Yeah, but we found him on a rooftop!"

"Must'a been a real hard impact, then." :roll:
"Then how do you explain the marks being on his forehead. What, was he doing a handstand in the middle of the street?"

"I've seen stranger."
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

All this killing is still going to raise a question on who did it and if someone goes missing the thats still going to atttact a lot of attension. Something werewolves do not need. It does not matter how you kill as you are still raising suspesion and forensics are going to pick up SOMETHING. I am not saying they are 100% but something is bound to be found on the body. I doubt that would be good for any werewolf.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."