Wolf and wolf-dog sanctuaries and rescue-centers...

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Wolf and wolf-dog sanctuaries and rescue-centers...

Post by Berserker »

This is both a real life curiosity and a werewolf-related question. Maybe someone with real life experience can answer it.

What do you suppose the people who work and volunteer at these places actually think about werewolves? Would a wolf sanctuary be a good place for a werewolf to hide, reveal himself, or find a support group?

Maybe they're like most of us here at The Pack, and they like werewolves but disagree with the old monster interpretations. Or maybe they're scientists, working from an academic perspective, and they would be just as frightened by werewolves as any normal people.

I know for a fact that quite a few wolf ranch employees post on werewolf forums, are members of deviantart, etc.

What do you think?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: Wolf and wolf-dog sanctuaries and rescue-centers...

Post by Terastas »

Well, workers at a wolf sanctuary might be more impressionable and more open-minded to the possibility of the civil werewolf, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee that they will be automatically. Wolf sanctuaries deal with real live wolves, and while they will gladly speak out against the legend of the big bad wolf, that says little towards their opinion of werewolves, if they have an opinion at all. Don't forget, most people think werewolves are completely make believe and don't think of them anywhere outside of Hollywood and Halloween. Chances are even the workers at wolf sanctuaries haven't even thought about it.

It would, however, be a great place for a pack to get involved in. It's been mentioned before that werewolves who are identified as humans would likely have to revert to a feral lifestyle, at least temporarily; a pack-sponsored wolf sanctuary could be a good place to relocate their discovered werewolves; instead of just cutting them loose in the wild and wishing them the best of luck, relocate them to the sanctuary with a new (code)name befitting a wolf in captivity, that way they can keep in touch with the feral werewolf through the pack's staff and volunteers and also maintain some possibility of the feral werewolf returning to the human world.

A sanctuary could also serve as a possible spoiler for anyone attempting to stalk them. Werewolf hunters that are either rookies or meat-heads might start at the sanctuary, but presumably anyone that starts there will be easily outsmarted. A hunter worth his salt, on the other hand, would be looking for werewolves trying to blend into the crowd and think a wolf sanctuary to be too obvious.

Theoretically, it could also suffice as a source of income through visitors/donations, as well as a tax write-off for the rest of the pack that donates to it.

The problem would be actually getting the sanctuary, both the land to build a sanctuary proper, and the permits to establish it. That said, I don't think every werewolf pack would have a sanctuary, but any pack that didn't have one would certainly dream about it.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

One of our number actually did work at a Wolf Sanctuary. I won't say who; that is up to the member in question to become involved at their choice.

Remember, though; there are two levels of Sanctuary workers. There are the volunteers, and then there are the people who actually run the place and have a life commitment to the cousins. I suspect there would be two sets of answers or maybe even more (depending on the amount of beer involved). :lol:

What would be interesting would be for one of the comitted ones to say, "Yes, I think they do exist," or flatly; "They exist, and that's all I'm saying." More than anyone else, they would be in a position to know... :evil:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Grey
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Grey »

My biggest concern would be, if it's a pre existing wolf sanctuary, would the current wolf population accept the were in hiding? And if they were accepted, could they pull off the whole thing? "Those 4 over there act diffrent then the others." ??

Plus I doubt many Were's speak Traditional Wolf. :?

I guess though as a group, in an empty section it's doable. Provided you can trust the people working there. Someone could always turn around and say, " Look! Real Live Were Wolves!!"
Life's too short to be sad. So go roll around in the grass.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Another option would be to actually work as a volunteer at the sanctuary as a werewolf to either avoid detection, run around with the other wolves at night or help take care of those who have been detected as werewolves in their human form. Or is that partially what you were saying?

Personally I think werewolves who were forced to live in the wild temporarily would do just fine; after all they can shift back when they come across small towns if the food is scarce and whatnot. They'd also be able to call their friends or pack members to see if it's safe to go back. As for clothing? Hmmm, not sure about that one... Maybe they tie shorts to their backs to at least have those when they walk into town. :lol:
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Celestialwolf wrote:Personally I think werewolves who were forced to live in the wild temporarily would do just fine; after all they can shift back when they come across small towns if the food is scarce and whatnot. They'd also be able to call their friends or pack members to see if it's safe to go back. As for clothing? Hmmm, not sure about that one... Maybe they tie shorts to their backs to at least have those when they walk into town. :lol:
Couple of things wrong with that.

1) Where wolves are native, they are typically watched carefully by wildlife agencies etc., so if wolves are native to the area, what if someone points out the new wolf with no apparent pack of origin?

2) What if wolves are rare in the area or not even native at all?

3) What if animal control gets called in to "relocate the misplaced wolf to a safe environment?"

4) What's to keep Jimbo and Ned from yelling "He's coming right for us!" and blowing his head off?

5) What happens if someone sees a wolf with shorts tied to his back or a human walking around in the buff?

If a pack couldn't keep tabs on their feral pack mates, the safest thing to do would be to cut ties with them permanently and wish them the best of luck. There's really no perfectly safe way to handle a feral werewolf; people hardly ever overlook a wolf when they see one. That said, the safest places for a feral werewolf to "hide" would be in places where people go with the expectation of seeing wolves: a wolf sanctuary.

The next best alternative I could think of would be to try to pass off the feral werewolf as a wolf hybrid and employ him as a still civil werewolf's family pet, but that comes with a load of possible questions they'd need answers ready for: Where'd you get him? Do you need a permit to keep him? Has he had all his shots? He doesn't look like a hybrid. Etc.

As for whether or not a true authentic wolf pack will accept a human-born werewolf posing as a wolf, that's one of many reasons I believe a werewolf pack would try to establish their own instead of working their way into an existing sanctuary. Something else to consider is whether or not it's a wildlife sanctuary or just a park that doesn't accept new residency. The closest wolf park where I live, for example, is not a wildlife sanctuary, rather a haven for a single wolf pack aimed at promoting wildlife conservation. If I inexplicably found a sick wolf in my back yard, I couldn't call and expect them to come pick it up.

It would therefore be in the pack's best interests to have their own wolf park where they can set their own rules and manage as needed. They could eliminate the possibility of infighting between true wolves and feral werewolves by having an entire pack composed of their kin, they wouldn't have to go through the sea of red tape and documentation before relocating a feral werewolf to the park (though they'd have to account for it eventually), it would be up to the pack who and what the feral werewolves shared the land with, and it would allow the rest of the pack easy access to their feral family members after hours.

The catch, of course, is the expense of actually getting their own wolf park, so I'd imagine a lot of packs would save up with the intent of doing something like that, but few would actually accomplish it any time in the near future.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Grey wrote:My biggest concern would be, if it's a pre existing wolf sanctuary, would the current wolf population accept the were in hiding? And if they were accepted, could they pull off the whole thing? "Those 4 over there act diffrent then the others." ??

Plus I doubt many Were's speak Traditional Wolf. :?

I guess though as a group, in an empty section it's doable. Provided you can trust the people working there. Someone could always turn around and say, " Look! Real Live Were Wolves!!"
It's possible to separate them off if necessary without it being the least bit odd. I visited a sanctuary in PA last summer and it had some of the more troublesome or antisocial wolves fenced off from the rest of the pack.
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

I think I know where your talking about.

This is a good question though. I mean by now most Were's would have assimilated into Human culture. Many of todays generation would prolly have no real understanding of basic wolf culture, or customes.

I can picture a young were hiding among a pack of wolves being found out because he helped himself to some of the food out of his appointed order.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Terastas wrote:...Couple of things wrong with that...
You know, I definitely see where you're coming from. I guess I've always thought of werewolves as being loners since I have somewhat of a tendency to be one myself. I also figure that werewolves would be primarily humans, choosing to shift as an escape or to hunt or things like that. If they have any real enemies, they'd of course fight in that form as well.

I know that having a pack or network of fellow werewolves would help out with security and in many other ways. Plus it's always good to know you have people to back you up if you become desperate or just need to know you aren't the only one out there. I also think along the lines that there would be so few werewolves that it would be hard to be able to find another wolf let alone form a pack.

Back to the situation on hand, I don't think anyone has to actually see the wolf. I'm thinking he'd temporarily live in Yellowstone or something and hit up small cities around there when necessary. I've driven through West Yellowstone before, I think it would work. He wouldn't have to join any real wolf packs; the werewolf form would be more than adequate for hunting solo. He could move under cover of darkness and stay in remote areas. The only give away would be wolf tracks, but it is Yellowstone after all.

If it were me, I might temporarily relocate to Ireland or Costa Rica (having lived in both places) and lie low for a while as well.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Regarding the loner thing. . . Well, just in theory, a werewolf could never be a loner because, either through birth or biting, a werewolf could only have acquired his lycanthropy from someone else. :wink: And even if he was the only werewolf in the area, he could always make some new ones, right? It's easy to think of werewolves as being loners because of the "lone wolf" expression, but logistically, every werewolf has to have at least had contact with one other of his kind.

Yellowstone would be a decent place to hide. . . If it was an option. I'm in New England, so if I was a werewolf whose identity had been just been compromised and was now on the run, Yellowstone would be a very long way to go, especially if on foot.

You also need to consider, as I mentioned above, that wolves are still protected in the lower 48, therefore their numbers are presumably being monitored. It would raise a few eyebrows if a wolf appeared in Yellowstone that none of their staff nor any environmental watchdog groups could account for.

I kind of get the feeling we had two completely different problems in mind, however. If a group of hunters were only aware that werewolves were in the area, a werewolf wouldn't need to flee or go into hiding; just maintain a low profile in human form and wait for them to move on. Fleeing and/or assuming a feral lifestyle would be a course of action taking if their identity had been compromised; if they knew who the werewolf was by name and could follow them through their records.

You could theoretically relocate to Ireland, but the hunters could also theoretically have a look at your travel expenditures or airport security footage and find out that's where you've fled to. Then they could follow you there and it'd be even more dangerous because they'd already know who they're looking for; they could form their plan of attack before you even know they're in the same country.

So while going feral is far from safe, it beats the alternative.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Grey wrote:I think I know where your talking about.

This is a good question though. I mean by now most Were's would have assimilated into Human culture. Many of todays generation would prolly have no real understanding of basic wolf culture, or customes.

I can picture a young were hiding among a pack of wolves being found out because he helped himself to some of the food out of his appointed order.
He'd probably be swiftly put in his place. Unless he does anything ludicrously out of the ordinary most people will shrug it off as an unusual but not unnatural occurrence. Not a trouble unless a hunter is studiously watching every wolf.
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

Your prolly safe aslong as the hunters don't know your wolf form too well. And aslong as you don't act too human. Knock over the cooler, don't try to open it from the top. I just think more in terms of small give aways.

Actully. Aren't the yellowstone wolves all chipped? I belive it was part of thier reintroduction into the park.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Aki wrote:Not a trouble unless a hunter is studiously watching every wolf.
Or a wildlife expert. Wolves are social animals with individual personalities that do allow for some occasional anomalies, but they're still instinctive animals that should have at least some things in common. A hunter wouldn't necessarily need to be an expert on natural wolf behavior to identify a werewolf among them. He would just have to listen to any chatter among the people who are experts.

One thing I remember seeing someone on this message board gripe about is that, when people visit wolf parks and howl with the wolves, they typically howl like coyotes, not wolves. It's an honest mistake, but something someone dedicated to the study and preservation of wolves in the wild would likely take notice of. It wouldn't immediately set off the werewolf warning, but it would pique their curiosity enough for them to take a closer look at this mysterious new wolf. More attention would in turn invite more opportunities for them to see him acting out of character, which in turn would invite more attention, and so on and so forth.

There's only two ways I could think for a werewolf to avoid that kind of snowball effect, both of which depend on him planning for this worst case scenario in advance.

The first would be to study wolves himself in his free time. He couldn't become an active participant in wildlife conservation; if one of Yellowstone's staff mysteriously disappeared the same time a lone wolf appeared in the park, that would raise a big red flag, but he could learn all he needs to know just by reading books, watching nature documentaries or looking at videos on Youtube.

The other would be to make sure the people watching his every move as described above are his own people, IE: the private sanctuary approach.

Of course, they both have a severe snag: whether or not a werewolf could easily become a wolf in the wild is dependent on their proximity to said wild, and whether or not they could take haven in a sanctuary is dependent on their pack's financial stability. For most werewolves, going feral would be strictly a last resort.
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

The whole idea prolly seems like a good idea at the time. Hide a tree in the woods. But can you handle it? Chances are after the first night out in the wild, you would go hunting for a bed. And foods gonna be another matter. What options? You couldn't just walk up to a human campsite and beg for food. Chances are they would get in thier car on first sight of you. And even if they stayed, they couldn't feed you.

The dumpsters at yellowstone are animal proofed aswell. Other national parks maybe you could raid the dumpsters, but most empty them out before dusk. And chances are they watch them during the day. And I doubt many were's have ever hunted in wolf form. Let alone actully ate anything raw.

I guess atleaste one advantage you would have is you would be protected by Federal Law, and the rangers would be watching anyone comming into the park with intent to harm wildlife. If you stayed within sight of a ranger station, or naturalist campsite, I guess you would be safe. After all. A wolf is still a wolf. :)
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Terastas wrote:[snip]
Well, yeah, but it's assumed that the experts at the place know what you're doing.

It'd be exceedingly unwise to sneak into a sanctuary and try to blend in with animals these people have been working with for years. Not to mention the resident pack will unlikely take the intrusion well.
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

Hopefully a new wolf showing up in the area will be met with joy, and intrest by naturalist's.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Grey wrote:Hopefully a new wolf showing up in the area will be met with joy, and interest by naturalist's.
Well, it would, but that's the problem.

"A new arrival? Wonderful! I'll call all our neighboring affiliates and see if we can identify him based on his markings, make sure nobody's missing a wolf somewhere. In the meantime, I want someone out there to sedate him, tag him and take a blood sample so we can make sure he's healthy."

People being excited to see you wouldn't be a good thing if you're trying to lay as low as possible. :P Like I said, a hunter could be tipped off just by listening to other people, and just in theory, all it takes is one park ranger sending a "going to be late for dinner because-" call to get the gossip snowball rolling.
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

More for the fact that if your being observed 24/7, that complicates things for a hunter. You could get lucky. He makes a move infront of an observer, and he's caught.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Grey wrote:More for the fact that if your being observed 24/7, that complicates things for a hunter. You could get lucky. He makes a move infront of an observer, and he's caught.
That's true. There are, however, two things you need to consider:

1) This was a guy that had presumably up until then been hunting humans. If he was presumably willing to take the risks associated with killing another human being, the consequences of "poaching" shouldn't be counted on to deter him.

2) If you're being watched 24/7, that more or less means you're stuck there for life.

The only way out would be with the entire faculty's consent and support after revealing yourself, and to the chances of the entire faculty A) not flipping out, B) believing your story, and C) agreeing to take the tag out and letting you escape, and D) nobody being tipped off by this sudden turn of events; to say the odds of such would be slim would be the mother of all understatements.

The reason I keep going back to the wildlife sanctuary is because the only people that could be counted on to not make a lot of noise are also the only people that could be counted on to allow a feral werewolf to return to a human lifestyle when possible: the people that were in on the werewolf's secret to begin with. Think of the sanctuary as being like health insurance: it's expensive and you hope you never need it, but you still always want it there just in case the worst should happen.

Which, just on a semi-related note, is yet another reason I have trouble envisioning werewolves as being solitary. I seriously doubt there are any werewolf millionaires in the world, so the easiest way to afford what they need to stay undetected would be to pool their incomes together and share as needed (you couldn't rightly have a sanctuary with only one wolf in it anyway). :wink:
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

LOL! Just imagine the name they might give you as identification.

" While in observation of the new wolf we here at the center have named Bobo..."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Grey wrote:LOL! Just imagine the name they might give you as identification.

" While in observation of the new wolf we here at the center have named Bobo..."
At Wolf Hollow, the park nearby where I live that I mentioned earlier, two of the wolves being held there are named Weeble and Jelly.

Might be another possible way a werewolf's cover could be blown in the wild: when he finds out what the staff chose to name him. Because they're not supposed to get attached to the animals, and because they have a lot of animals to account for, Wildlife chroniclers are especially infamous for giving out horrible names.

"Bronto Thunder? ?? Is he referring to me?!"
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

Can you imagine though if you started to form a relationship with one of the other wolves?

"Oh look. I think Bobo and Jewel like eachother."
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I spent about 3 months volunteering at a wolf sanctuary.
You get a wide variety of people there, but in general, the people you will find at that kind of place are usually pretty open.
To illustrate my meaning- I do not talk much about my therian spirituality with people offline. Usually I have to know someone for several years and develop a lot of trust before I will share that aspect of myself. However, after only a month at Mission:Wolf, most of the core staff knew about me and were very open to the idea. They never ridiculed or belittled me, they just accepted it and even seemed interested and asked questions. It was the best experience I have had with sharing my beliefs.

So in short, I think that some wolf rescues would be a wonderful place for a werewolf to find sanctuary. I believe that once the workers realized that he/she posed no threat to the wolves or people living there, most would be thrilled to meet a real werewolf. ^^
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

The only thing is if they know your a were wolf hiding in thier sanctuarie, you would have to set up certian ground rules for the keepers to follow. When I'm in wolf form, you have to keep your distance. Don't talk to me like a person, even though I do understand you, a hunter might single me out from the others.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

True. And you would want to get a couple pictures in wolf form to add to their website or scrap book so nobody notices an extra wolf. I'd also think that putting your official enclosure in the back and off the tour route so people would also not notice if you were missing.