Lets talk about fear and lycanthropy

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Last edited by Midnight on Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: Lets talk about fear and lycanthropy

Post by Vuldari »

Terastas wrote:
Vuldari wrote:The best stories are about EXTRA-Ordinary people anyway ... right?
I'm inclined to disagree. While readers/viewers would rather read about extraordinary circumstances, ultimately what they really want is a character they can connect with on some level.

My personal take is that the temperament of the average werewolf shouldn't be any different than that of the average human being. . . But come on, are we as human beings really so calm and composed? If you think we are, turn on the news: people snap and kill each other all the time.

Like I've been saying, the human element accounts for all levels in all directions. Anything the human element is applied to does not need to be made more evil by default for it to still be absolutely terrifying.

It's not that we're wise enough to know better than to kill someone in the peak of anger. Some of us are, but for the rest of us, it's less a question of will than it is a question of capacity. Werewolves, on the other hand, always have the capacity. Lycanthropy is a gun they can't put a safety on if they're worried about it, put under lock and key if they're afraid of it, or pawn away if they decide they don't need it anymore. Someone may be the most passive guy on Earth, but it doesn't matter; give him five minutes to turn into a werewolf and he could tear your spine out through your ear.

You know it, he knows it, and he knows that you know it. Comfy?

That's my view anyway: Not necessarily savage, but unquestionably dangerous, not much different from anyone with an unlicensed firearm. After all, just because someone has it doesn't mean they'll use it, but that doesn't mean they won't use it either.
:wink:
I agree with this whole post. (That's a first between you and I)

... what is it that you were disagreeing with me about?

What I was saying is that, a story about a Good/Hero werewolf should/would be a story about an extraordinary person, because an ORDINARY person would logically be all of the things you just described if made host to Lycanthropy. ... only a very special person would be able to overcome all of that and come out on top.

... An ordinary person rising to the challenge of an extraordinary situation, and becoming an extraordinary person as a result. Ordinary people don't do much. Being someone worth telling a story about generally means doing something that most people don't normally do, which inherently makes the person doing story worthy things an extraordinary person by definition. ...out of the ordinary...

I think your comparison to a loaded gun that one can never lock or give away is PERFECT. No matter how kind and trustworthy a person may be, there will ALWAYS be a good reason to be nervous about taking a loaded weapon everywhere you go, (in hand and ready to fire) knowing that all it will take for a moment to turn into tragedy is for someone (anyone) to Pull the Trigger.

It is the unquestioned understanding and awareness of the ever present Danger that Lycanthropy inherently creates that I feel is the distinguishing mood and theme that defines the character of the WEREWOLF. (IMHO) ... and why I think the element of FEAR is elementally inseparable from the characters mystique and mythos. (Even if the werewolf never does anything truly EVIL in the story)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Fastenjaw
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Fastenjaw »

People have been killed while raising tigers, lions, pythons, and other animals where instincts are unknowingly triggered. That is a risk you always take when being around these dangerous animals. And the wolf is no exception. I just feel that not every were you come across is going to be a failed case. OR a successful one. Balance is something I think we can all strive to bring to the table.
Killa Tofu!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Vuldari wrote:What I was saying is that, a story about a Good/Hero werewolf should/would be a story about an extraordinary person, because an ORDINARY person would logically be all of the things you just described if made host to Lycanthropy. ... only a very special person would be able to overcome all of that and come out on top.

... An ordinary person rising to the challenge of an extraordinary situation, and becoming an extraordinary person as a result. Ordinary people don't do much. Being someone worth telling a story about generally means doing something that most people don't normally do, which inherently makes the person doing story worthy things an extraordinary person by definition. ...out of the ordinary...
True. My dilemma, however, is that someone extraordinary enough to battle all of the urges and temptations of lycanthropy and never falter, an audience may find him/her to be equally as unbelievable as a werewolf scaling walls or juggling vending machines. Besides, doesn't someone being a werewolf make them extraordinary enough? Just because someone isn't a remarkable example of a human being, that doesn't mean they couldn't have a remarkable story to tell (Arthur Dent anyone?).

Going back on the gun comparison, using a gun involves the following steps:
#1: Acquiring the gun.
#2: Loading the gun.
#3: Concealing the gun.
#4: Deciding (consciously on instinctively) to use the gun.
#5: Drawing the gun.
#6: Aiming the gun.
#7: Firing the gun.

The damage only really becomes permanent at the last step; the person with the gun may compose themselves, put the gun away, and if they play their cards right, may be able to continue onward as if nothing happened. With a werewolf, the chances of them blowing it completely are heightened since they're metaphorically stuck at #3, but there's still some room for error before it becomes irreversible. A protagonist should be allowed to make mistakes, at least as long as either A) he lucks out, B) another character steps in, or C) he has a chance to correct or redeem himself (ideally B or C, because too much dumb luck takes realism away as well).

I know it's not the best possible example, but the one I kept coming back to in my mind over and over again while I was writing this was Peter Parker when he became Spiderman. Even though he had very unrealistic powers and performed with them to an even more unrealistic level, he was still a very human character. When he first acquired his powers, he misused them to his advantage, and as we all know, he payed dearly for it, but that still didn't deny him from continuing his life nor any chance of redemption.

We all do dumb things. Being a werewolf should indeed be a huge responsibility, but it still shouldn't be such a burden that even a slight miscalculation could have catastrophic consequences.

So if lycanthropy is a test, it's not one that a protagonist should be expected to ace. He just has to pass. By the skin of his teeth if need be. Hell, maybe not even that; if he just stays alive until five minutes before the closing credits, that could still be enough to make for a decent movie.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Terastas wrote:So if lycanthropy is a test, it's not one that a protagonist should be expected to ace. He just has to pass. By the skin of his teeth if need be. Hell, maybe not even that ...
See ... now THIS is the perspective I've been trying to protect and promote.

"It's not (a test) that a protagonist should be expected to Ace".

This is my primary opposition to werewolves with too much self-control. It just doesn't even feel like the same creature if control is easy enough that it becomes natural to presume a Werewolf WILL behave themselves under all but the most Severe circumstances.

My personal preference (with Lycanthropy) is that the "Challenges" that the state of being presents are difficult enough that the person is generally expected to FAIL at conquering them. ... not that success is presented as impossible either, but merely felt and perceived as being Unlikely, for Valid, Real, and Proven physical, psychological and circumstantial reasons.

Also ... there are many levels of Grey between "Merciless Monster Rampage" and "Innocent Tail Wagger". "Failure" of control need not mean "Total Failure".

A Werewolf who has managed to keep his/her self out of serious trouble ... but only MOST of the time. (for one example)

Or ... A Lycanthrope who has struggled with their Wild side their whole life, living month by month and year by year a mere breath from unfortunate mishaps turning to complete disaster, spared only by stubborn determination and exceptionally forgiving (even for death and harm) and understanding peers and loved ones.

... and many levels and situations somewhere in-between.

Bringing the whole conversation full circle once again (Linking it back to the Subject of the thread), this again is my feeling and rationalization as to why I prefer that people do, and have good reason to be AFRAID of a Werewolf, as well as why even the most Pro-Wolf human beings should be afraid to BECOME one themselves.

... not because bloody disaster and/or insanity is CERTAIN (which it isn't, NOR would I want it to be) ... but merely disturbingly LIKELY (and Common).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... anyway ... if Terastas finally understands what I mean, (my most outspoken positional opposition here), I think I can FINALLY stop repeating myself so much.

It seems like most of you "GET IT" now ... even if it's still not your preference.

(I just wish it hadn't taken two years to get us all on the same page)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~