In Human Clothes

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Grey
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

In Human Clothes

Post by Grey »

How would a were wolf dress when thier in human form? rvt
Life's too short to be sad. So go roll around in the grass.
Noir-Okami
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Troper
Mood: Excited

Re: In Human Clothes

Post by Noir-Okami »

Probably something normal, to blend in. Because I think someone would attract weird looks if they always have wolf t-shirts and duckies.

(Fig's rubbing off on me with the whole duckie thing.)
I'm working on a werewolf novel, while liking to stay up late at night and going to college. I'm going to be sleep-deprived when this is all said and done. :sleepy:

Anthony Brownrigg, I hope you have the best of luck with Freeborn. RedEye, I also wish you the best of luck with Wulfen Blood. And for a bit of luck for both of you... :ducktoss3:
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I suppose you're suggesting that they wear special expandable clothes?

In previous discussions, we concluded that the most likely possiblity is that werewolves would wear normal clothes during the day, and often undress in anticipation the change. For emergencies there would be plastic vaccum-sealed bags of clothes hidden out in the nearest wooded area for when they changed back.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

I guess, I ment whats Wolf Style? I picture Wolf style being minimalist. Nothing really flashy, or over the top. Simple styles.

Odviously a leather jacket of some kind, prolly brown.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

If that's what you mean, then its more likely just a case of their personal preference.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

I know. But I figured thier was like a universal wolfish mindset. Or just a way wolves think that explains why they dress like they do.

But i guess I'm more a brown leather jacket, boots, and fingerless gloves kinda person.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Grey wrote:I guess, I ment whats Wolf Style? I picture Wolf style being minimalist. Nothing really flashy, or over the top. Simple styles.

Odviously a leather jacket of some kind, prolly brown.
Assuming a werewolf's foremost concern is his anonymity, then yes, werewolves would likely avoid particularly eye-catching clothing and encourage other werewolves to do the same.

That's not saying much though. Not all suits are pimp suits, not all summer shirts are Hawaiian shirts, and so on and so forth. Apart from avoiding the flashy Hollywood clothing, a werewolf's attire should fit the individual in question.

The only exception would be if you're thinking of clothing a werewolf would wear with the expectation of possibly shifting in them, which we've covered in other threads before, and there are plenty of outfits a werewolf could wear that would not tear while shifting, and which would likely just be brushed off as a typical fashion blunder if seen on them in human form (sweat pants, for example).
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

I can't get what I mean out right.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

Are you, perhaps, implying clothing markers? An item of clothing that works similarly to the duckie, so that one werewolf might become suspicious that another is? Such a thing would be easy to hide in a sea of trends, if they changed it frequently enough.

This reminds me of the blank badge that certain members within cells of the Invisibles use, which is basically just a badge with nothing printed upon it, it's very nondescript but it's also a great indicator. I also remember that the Illuminati in Gargoyles used a clothing pin for similar reasons.

I think, however, you might be trying to ask if there's something more subtle to it. That they may choose a certain style, wearing this or that a certain way, in order to let other werewolves know that they too are a werewolf. The blank badge worked back in the 90's, but society today is so paranoid that it might pick up on even that, so they'd probably need something even more subtle.

The thing is though: How does one imply in clothing styles whether one is a werewolf as a marker to show other werewolves this?

Is that what you were trying to get at, Grey?
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

If a Werewolf were trying to (as you say) wear markers; then the items would probably be of a specific color on a specific day of the week.
As in: Monday: Gray. Tuesday: Green. Weds...you get the picture. The specific item might be a tie, an undershirt, or even one of those rubber-band wrist things that advertise a specific philosophy.
Markers would have to be accompanied by specific codetalk, such as "Do you know where there is a (whatever) around here?" Then there would have to be a very specific non-linear response: "It's only open when it rains."

There IS another way, though. Assuming that a Wolf who is of the intelligent variety still has some of his/her Were' capabilities, there is always Scent.
It makes sense that a Werewolf would smell different from a Smooth Human. How different, and how much residual scenting ability there is; is open to discussion.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I really don't think that ALL werewolves would have a natural predisposition towards a single, universal clothing style.

... and leather jackets are Cliche. Making all Werewolves dress the same, (thus taking away the persons individuality) I think is not an appealing concept to ANYONE here.

For the sake of humoring the question though ...

If Werewolves were to have a particular preference in clothing that is uniquely popular among their own ... I think it would not be based on cliche's of how humans see the "LONER" personality of a Lycanthrope, but more likely something subconscious related to things that WOLVES find attractive or appealing.

... Clothing that emulates a Dominant presence perhaps, such as outfits that make them look Bigger and more Confident, maybe?

Or ... how do Wolves pick out more desirable mates among each other? Are Dark colors more appealing than light to a Wolf? ... what about shaggy vs. short/smooth fur? Would Werewolves find tight, form-fitting or baggy clothing more natural and appealing? Might a Werewolf find themselves subconsciously modeling their appearance based on Lupine image standards and not realize it?

Honestly though ... I think a werewolf would dress the same way any other person does ... any way they want.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I would wear those athletic pants that have snaps down the sides. In case of shift, they just come off.

But in response to Vuldari- I can see that happening with some individuals.
I'm no p-shifter, but I do find myself wearing a lot of grey- sweaters especially. I feel more confident when I look more like the way I feel I should look.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Lets assume a Wulfen Blood sized Werewolf population. There are strangers, travelers, and just plain nervoud n00bs out there who for good or silly reasons want to make contact with other Wulfen.
I mentioned clothing and codetalk; there is another way that is just plain simple, cheap, and invisible.
Wristwatches.
You can get them with just about any face, quartz accurate, cheap. The Wulfen organization, the Kindred, uses a barless "A" with a symbolic handshake where the top of the "A" would be.
You can get 100 for as little as $ 75.00, with a specific logo on the face. These are passed out to the Travelers, or the noobs looking for a pack.
Pick a generic area in a town or city; say; the Library. Every tuesday, you wear your special watch and go get a book to read. Perhaps you go to the "Dog Training" section, or the "Wild Animals" section.
You show your watch. Somebody either flashes handsign, or says a codephrase.
Contact made; Smoothskins are no wiser, and the place is good for repeated visits. Lots of people go to the public library.
Or the Bus station. Or the Depot. Or wherever people tend to congregate.
You get the idea. Invisibility by blending in, contact by specifically standing out.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Everyone's suggestions for specific clothing or other items used for identifying oneself as a werewolf are giving me tons of ideas for future stories! Breakaway athletic pants and vacuum sealed clothes for emergencies? Why didn't I think of those!

I am more of a lurker and try to comment only when I have something to say. People here are really creative and I usually just feel like I'd detract. Trust me though; I've spent a lot of time here but only have just over 260 posts... I think I'll start trying to say more and get my post count up (for credibility).
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

RedEye wrote: The specific item might be a tie, an undershirt, or even one of those rubber-band wrist things that advertise a specific philosophy.
Wolfstrong. Tee hee hee...
:evil:
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Celestialwolf »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
RedEye wrote: The specific item might be a tie, an undershirt, or even one of those rubber-band wrist things that advertise a specific philosophy.
Wolfstrong. Tee hee hee...
:evil:
How about this under-were I have in my drawer?
I mean, I know it would be kinda hard to check inconspicuously, but... :lol:
--
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Well, I was always wondering where the canine fixation with sniffing one another's butt came from. Maybe that is the answer for werewolves?
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Grey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Grey »

I think small identifiying objects like a wrist band with the packs symbol on it, or paw print maybe. Something other were's would see and say " That person belongs to the Ayuka Pack."
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Celestialwolf »

Baphnedia wrote:Well, I was always wondering where the canine fixation with sniffing one another's butt came from. Maybe that is the answer for werewolves?
I guess so! :roflmao: What if you accidentally tried that with someone who wasn't a werewolf, though? :hsup :oops:
--
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Grey wrote:I think small identifiying objects like a wrist band with the packs symbol on it, or paw print maybe. Something other were's would see and say " That person belongs to the Ayuka Pack."
It could just be wearing a certain color alot or something. No symbol needed. Or a certain phrase or handshake used.

Like a gang. Except fuzzy and fanged.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I can tell you that I won't ever seriously picture a werewolf being inane enough to wear nothing but pankration thongs and ancient bikinis outside of fighting rings and cosplay groups.

I also don't agree with symbols to distinguish "packmates" from humans, as I'd think it'd be detrimental to the element of blending in with people, not to mention that I may not be the only one with a warped dislike of original symbols made by other people.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

It doesn't necessarily have to be visual though, as Red pointed out, it could just as easily be scent-related. It could be an item that's as ordinary as clothing items come, but coated in something that only a canid would pick up.

I'd imagine that hunters would have a hard time dealing with that. I'm not sure how most of the World would react, but we're a nosy bunch of buggers in the UK. If we saw someone trying to track something with a hound, or someone using a scent detection device, that would inevitably draw a crowd. Not a good way for a hunter to work. That and we're predisposed to getting irate where hunting is concerned, if it looked as though said hunter were tracking an animal... well, I wouldn't want to be said hunter surrounded by a mob at that point.

Though, of course, that could make old Bretonia the perfect place for werewolves to hide out, considering that aspect of our cultural heritage.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I suspect one would want something that can be taken off and hidden fairly easily. One might have various lairs located at strategic spots, with changes of clothing hidden, so that one could undress in one spot, run around, end up in the other, and get dressed again.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Scott Gardener wrote:I suspect one would want something that can be taken off and hidden fairly easily. One might have various lairs located at strategic spots, with changes of clothing hidden, so that one could undress in one spot, run around, end up in the other, and get dressed again.
The only real problem with that is that people will ask how do you manage to change clothes in the middle of the forest (or whatever). You would have to have several exactly identical sets of clothing hidden around about.
Perhaps a messenger bag?
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

well if it comes to me if I become a werewolf...I would wear red pants (kind of baggy), white shirt(short sleeved), a leather belt, and a long sleeve pilot jacket.
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm