In Human Clothes

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
RodolfoGurenaito
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: First Grey Knight

Re: In Human Clothes

Post by RodolfoGurenaito »

Lycans wear cheap, comfortable stuff. Cheap because duh, comfortable so they're closer to their true nature.
[Error 391] - You are not were enough to read this sig
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I would think most werewolves would wear simple, easy-to-remove clothing. Nothing like long, tight leather coats with a million buckles. :P If they shift a lot, they wouldn't want to tear up any expensive clothing, or loose expensive clothes somewhere in the forest.
Vampires would be considered more well-dressed cause their only powers is living off human blood and dying in sunlight. They have lots of time to make themselves all pretty :wink:
Werewolves would need to be able to get their clothes off for a shift quickly, unless they don't mind destroying their wardrobe.
Things like jeans, tennis shoes, T-shirts, jackets would be good. All depends on the individual though.
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.
Mood: Excited

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

true. but its better than being nude.
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

why does everyone assume that a werewolf has to lose his clothes to shift? grab the shirt you're wearing and pull it out as far as you can. T-shirts are stretchy people! my jeans have almost six inches of extra leg room. if a werewolf grows so much as to burst their clothing, they are cartoon big. way too big to be believable. IMHO.

and to respond to the original question....
i dont think werewolves would be predisposed to wear a certain style. but if i were a werewolf id be a walking cliche i guess because i wear t-shirts, jeans, work boots, and a brown leather jacket. sometimes a hoody. and i have large mutton chops right now. so if werewolves could be identified by their fashion sense....i'd have met a silver bullet by now lol.
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
Grey
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Grey »

I think it all depends on the level you usually change to. Most of us would prolly just change to the classic wolfman mode. This way thier's very little physical change, but you do get some of the increased strength and senses. Plus the tail would prolly just force the back of your pants down. If you had to change to full were wolf mode, I think you would prolly be wearing clothes that you could drop in a hurry.

As for footwear, Myself I keep my shoe's laced up, but loose enough to slid off like slippers in a hurry.
Life's too short to be sad. So go roll around in the grass.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

There's a lot of variety among humans, and if lycanthropes occupy a large gauntlet of different human niches, then one would expect a similarly broad mix of clothing. Choice of attire is one of the quickest ways that humans establish their equivalent of rank and pack associations. Work uniforms such as a police officer's badge establishes socially dictated privileges and responsibilities. Pricier dresses and business attire imply wealth and formality, but in certain contexts (such as the "I'm a Mac" / "And I'm a PC" commercials) can also imply stodginess, particularly to those outside of the privileged echelon. Conversely, untucked soiled shirts and oversized pants hanging low, exposing underwear suggests camaraderie among some adolescent and young adult cultures, particularly among the under-privileged, while the stodgier old folks who "don't get it" find this look laughable at best. At the extreme end, choice of attire can reinforce racial stereotypes--dressing up like a "gangsta" with layers of metal chains will tend to invite profiling, especially if one enhances the look with the appropriate hand gesturing, accenting of every other word, and repeated rhetorical query, "you hear what I'm saying?"

One might be tempted to suggest that werewolves would wear something to help each identify other werewolves--maybe duck-themed jewelry, or a pendant with a certain moon ray logo. But, scent alone should be enough, and it's something humans overlook except in extreme cases. Still, if werewolves ever were to go public, I'd expect within a decade or two, werewolf pop culture would introduce clothing elements, ranging from "mutton head caps"--sheep head-shaped caps that one wears while in Gestalt form--to T-shirts with Autobot and Decepticon logos from "Transformers."

Still, whatever it is, it should work with instead of against shifting. If one's werewolves undress, the clothes should be easy-on, easy off. If your werewolves are more socially reserved, the clothes should either stretch or otherwise still fit.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Wolf-man-24 wrote:why does everyone assume that a werewolf has to lose his clothes to shift? grab the shirt you're wearing and pull it out as far as you can. T-shirts are stretchy people! my jeans have almost six inches of extra leg room. if a werewolf grows so much as to burst their clothing, they are cartoon big. way too big to be believable. IMHO.
Don't look at me, i'd rather have a wolf's clothing meld together into its pelt.

But now that you've mentioned it, what articles of clothing ARE at risk of bursting? Shoes? Gloves, maybe?
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

Clothes? What's the fun in wearing clothes when you just transform through them anyway? :wink:

No, I've had this issue with my characters before, actually. One of the hardest parts of writing the transformation scene in my novel was deciding the logistics of what clothes for the character to wear and such. I keep a consistent "outfit" for her, which isn't anything special. Just a snug, but flexible, layered shirt, jeans with a belt, and generally socks and skate shoes that you can kick off easily, plus some jewelry. At least in this case, she's a high school student, so she's not gonna run around naked... though if she intentionally goes out into the woods on a full moon night and knows she's going to transform, she anticipates it and strips down when she gets there. I think it kind of adds to that factor of humiliation and uncertainty.

That goes for any werewolf. I guess "accessibility" would be optimal, or rather "ease of motion" as far as removing the clothes goes. Something you can take off easily before a transformation (if you intend for it to happen), or something that isn't so heavy and constricting in the case that a transformation catches a lycanthrope by surprise. Though this all depends on how large the person gets, like Wolf-man-24 said. Personally, I'm a fan of massive werewolves (you can see why I worry about what clothes my were' wears, hehe: she goes from 5'8", 156 lbs. to 7'6", 300-some lbs.), so anything stretchy is good - until it rips.

Eh, I prefer to add the motif of ripping through clothes when I write or draw a transformation happening. I think it adds to the feeling of raw power and entering a new dimension of freedom - shredding the clothes symbolizes that both literally and metaphorically.
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!