I have an interesting question

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
The Only Girl
Mood: Ruthless

I have an interesting question

Post by The Only Girl »

I know this might sound a bit strange. But during the beginning of a vampires awakening, the need for blood is absolutely unbearable. Lets say a vampires first feed was from a werewolf. Do you think that would have some kind of effect on his or her at all?

I know, strange question, but im just wondering.
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Re: I have an interesting question

Post by Wselfwulf »

I suppose that depends if werewolf blood is unique or has any special properties at all. You might posit it has microorganisms that protect from disease and it had trillions of platelets to heal faster, but maybe a vampire wouldn't metabolize microorganisms as such since they are dead.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Personally, I think it would depend more on the vamprire. Also, it depends if this is a question for the sake of asking the question, or a question because it could come up in a World of Darkness game (or other role-playing system).

Personally, since the werewolf's power is found while it is alive, simply drinking it's blood is not going to transfer it's power. It would probably piss off the werewolf though. As for actual power transfer, I don't see potential there, because the sources of power are completely different.

One being that I would say that vampires would get an interesting effect would be from 'immortals' (such as from Highlander: The Gathering). Elsewhere, in the online world, it was stipulated by some random schmuck that an immortal's blood would satiate the vampire three times longer than a regular human's.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

If one presumes that the contagious part of "Lycanthropy" is contained within a werewolves bloodstream, then I would suspect that ingesting a large quantity of Werewolf blood would be as much, if not more certain to infect oneself with it as being bitten by it.

So, I guess the answer would be ... depends on what you think would happen if someone is a Werewolf and a Vampire at the same time, or if that is even possible.

I remember an old "The Real Ghostbusters" cartoon episode where that happened. A whole clan of Vampires and a whole town of werewolves had a street brawl, and by the end, every single one of them was a bat winged wolf with huge fangs.

"Underworld"s take on it on the other hand was that being both would simply kill you, (unless you were a direct descendant of the father of the original Werewolf and Vampires).

My opinion ... that vampire would find out on the night of the next Full Moon that, being a newly reborn vampire is not the ONLY thing they will need to get used to quickly ... and they will not only need to remove all of the crosses and garlic from their apartment, but all the silver too. It might not be a bad idea to sell all their silver and buy a new comb, a good razor, lot's of shampoo (maybe Flea Bath Shampoo, just in case), and then take themself out to a late night dinner for a good, rare, bloody STEAK. ... that should help ease BOTH of his/her new hungers.

:shift:

... sorry ... I'm not all that familiar with Vampire mythology, and can't really think of, nor am aware of any special different effects drinking different kinds of blood would have on a Vampire. Werewolf blood would be the same as any other human blood, except for possibly variant Red/White blood cell counts, maybe extra protein and oxygen content within the blood stored for metamorphosis which may make it more sustaining and satisfying ... and then of course, the inherent probability of transferring lycanthropy to it's new host. That's really all I can think of.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Something you may want to consider is that, the way they're being described, lycanthropy and vampirism are opposites. Vampires are classically thought of as being undead; while lycanthropy increases the hosts regenerative capabilities, vampirism works by killing and reanimating the host.

So what we've essentially got are two viroids that work in opposition to each other.

What I usually presume is that the two viroids would conflict with each other since they are programmed to do perform two completely different actions, but one of them would always fight off infection from the other. Which one kills the other would depend on the host, or more accurately, whether the host in question is already a werewolf or a vampire. Assuming lycanthropy can only survive in a living host and vampirism survives inside a reanimated host, the dominant virus would be the one first acquired.

In my own writing, whenever a vampire bites a werewolf or vice versa, it usually results in both biter and bitten becoming ill while their respective viroids are fighting off infection of the other.

I never really got that whole Underworld hybrid-thing because they contrast each other as such, so I think if a vampire did bite a werewolf, he'd live to regret it even though he'd feel like he wouldn't.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Let's see:
First, since a Vampire is not alive, I question the Wulf Viroid having any effect at all. Viruses and Viroids only enter living cells, which lets Mr Lestat out of the running for special effects.
That aside, I wonder at the additive effects Vuldari mentions regarding the cartoon show. I doubt the effects would be that...convenient.

Now, lets think about Terastas' version. This has possibilities. The Vamp Viroid fights the Were Viroid to a standstill; and suddenly the Vampire turns back into a middle aged man with a beer belly and bad teeth. :lol:
Who's very pxssed off. :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:Now, lets think about Terastas' version. This has possibilities. The Vamp Viroid fights the Were Viroid to a standstill; and suddenly the Vampire turns back into a middle aged man with a beer belly and bad teeth. :lol:
Well. . . No, not really a standstill. What I figured was that, since vampires are classically regarded as being undead, the vampirism viroid would have to be one that can only survive in a dead (or at least near-dead) host. To the contrary, since we typically attribute enhanced regeneration to werewolves, I figured the lycanthropy viroid would have to be one that can only survive in a healthy living host. The viroids could fight off infection by the other, or one could simply just die out after too long in an incompatible environment. Either way, one always emerges dominant.

So it wouldn't be a standstill in the literal sense, but which one would be dominant would depend on the conditions of the host. Lycanthropy would be better conditioned to a living host, so if a vampire infected a werewolf, or if a person was simultaneously infected with lycanthropy and vampirism simultaneously, the dominant viroid would be lycanthropy.

Likewise, vamprisim would be better conditioned to a nonliving host, so if a werewolf infected a vampire, a vampire infected a dead werewolf, or the two viroids were mixed together in cold storage, the dominant viroid would be vampirism.
Did that make sense, or did I just make it even more confusing? :|
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Very subjective, since those of us who even picture any sort of vampire physiology other than the basic "drinks blood," "avoid direct sunlight," and "allergic to garlic, holy water, penicillin, and codeine" probably have pretty wide-ranging notions, particularly since most of us, being more werewolf-oriented, haven't put as much thought into vampire physiology. (or, antiphysiology, or whatever one calls the post-metabolic activity occurring inside one who is undead) I would think, in agreement with the White Wolf World of Darkness (1.0 system of the 1990s) that drinking werewolf blood would give an extra vitality and energy boost to the vampire, that werewolf blood would be more revitalizing and sustaining than regular human blood, on average. As to whether a vampire could contract lycanthropy, I'm not touching that one for now, but I wouldn't recommend calling a lycanthropic vampire an "abomination" for fear of a trademark lawsuit.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

Scott Gardener wrote:Very subjective, since those of us who even picture any sort of vampire physiology other than the basic "drinks blood," "avoid direct sunlight," and "allergic to garlic, holy water, penicillin, and codeine" probably have pretty wide-ranging notions, particularly since most of us, being more werewolf-oriented, haven't put as much thought into vampire physiology. (or, antiphysiology, or whatever one calls the post-metabolic activity occurring inside one who is undead) I would think, in agreement with the White Wolf World of Darkness (1.0 system of the 1990s) that drinking werewolf blood would give an extra vitality and energy boost to the vampire, that werewolf blood would be more revitalizing and sustaining than regular human blood, on average. As to whether a vampire could contract lycanthropy, I'm not touching that one for now, but I wouldn't recommend calling a lycanthropic vampire an "abomination" for fear of a trademark lawsuit.
If I remember correctly, in the New World of Darkness, werewolf blood causes vampires to frenzy, so that might be something to look into.
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Bloodyredbaron wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:Very subjective, since those of us who even picture any sort of vampire physiology other than the basic "drinks blood," "avoid direct sunlight," and "allergic to garlic, holy water, penicillin, and codeine" probably have pretty wide-ranging notions, particularly since most of us, being more werewolf-oriented, haven't put as much thought into vampire physiology. (or, antiphysiology, or whatever one calls the post-metabolic activity occurring inside one who is undead) I would think, in agreement with the White Wolf World of Darkness (1.0 system of the 1990s) that drinking werewolf blood would give an extra vitality and energy boost to the vampire, that werewolf blood would be more revitalizing and sustaining than regular human blood, on average. As to whether a vampire could contract lycanthropy, I'm not touching that one for now, but I wouldn't recommend calling a lycanthropic vampire an "abomination" for fear of a trademark lawsuit.
If I remember correctly, in the New World of Darkness, werewolf blood causes vampires to frenzy, so that might be something to look into.
That's old WoD.

New WoD werewolf blood just makes them more prone to anger or giving into the beast or somethin' for the next few nights. Something not quite so dramatic as instaneous frenzy. Plus it gives the Storyteller more time to put characters into a situation where it could prove to have been a bad decision, heh. :lol:
Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Inquisitor

Post by Goliathe Dark »

Contrary to what Teristas had said before, I'm pretty sure that since the werewolf blood probably contains strong antibodies like a wolf, they would still overpower the vampire even if the vampire was to bite the werewolf mostly because the vampire blood is dead blood cells that have no ammunity to anything; especially antibodies.
I'm not absolutely sure how legit this information is, so if anyone can clarify anything I have stated, it would be much appreciated.
What is the difference between an optimistic man and a blind one?

Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Those who beg for death are destined to live forever.

I see you. I know of your intentions. I'd ask you to leave but that wasn't in the cards.....so I'll ask you to die.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Goliathe Dark wrote:Contrary to what Teristas had said before, I'm pretty sure that since the werewolf blood probably contains strong antibodies like a wolf, they would still overpower the vampire even if the vampire was to bite the werewolf mostly because the vampire blood is dead blood cells that have no ammunity to anything; especially antibodies.
I'm not absolutely sure how legit this information is, so if anyone can clarify anything I have stated, it would be much appreciated.
That's actually pretty close to what I'd said earlier. The assumption I made, however, was that the lycanthropic viroid may be programmed to heal its host because it cannot survive outside of a 98.6 environment (Darwinism on the cellular level, you could say). Dead blood cells in a werewolf's body would indeed do nothing, except maybe make the werewolf sick when his immune system flushes them out.

This, of course, is assuming that the host in question is alive. Like I said, in the cases of a werewolf being infected with vampirism, or a human being given both simultaneously, I would expect lycanthropy to be the dominant viroid.

What I sort of envisioned was not specifically two viroids fighting each other, but two viroids going through the body continually undoing the work of the other; vampirism shutting down the immune system and spreading through it, and lycanthropy repairing the immune system and flushing impurities out of it. I figured which viroid would remain dominant would therefore depend on the status of the host before infection, or more simply put, how much of which viroid's work had already been done before infection. If the host was alive and healthy, that would be lycanthropy, but if the host was dead or close to it, that would be vampirism.

The only way I could envision one becoming the other would be in the event of a dead werewolf, one that had been killed and left in the freezer long enough for his lycanthropy to have died as well. Maybe then it could be infected with vampirisim, but it would be a vampire that used to be a werewolf, not a hybrid of the two.

I don't a transition in the other direction would be possible though, at least not at present. Maybe some day in the future when Disney walks again, but for now, dead is dead.
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

Terastas wrote:The only way I could envision one becoming the other would be in the event of a dead werewolf, one that had been killed and left in the freezer long enough for his lycanthropy to have died as well. Maybe then it could be infected with vampirisim, but it would be a vampire that used to be a werewolf, not a hybrid of the two.

I don't a transition in the other direction would be possible though, at least not at present. Maybe some day in the future when Disney walks again, but for now, dead is dead.
This reminds me of several legends and stories of werewolves becoming vampires after death.
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

"Abomination..." And, a trademark lawsuit from White Wolf Studios...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

The reason for the "Vampire Frenzy" upon seeing a Werewolf is caused by the realization that there won't be enough hair-dressers to go around. :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

RedEye wrote:The reason for the "Vampire Frenzy" upon seeing a Werewolf is caused by the realization that there won't be enough hair-dressers to go around. :lol:
(Which is why Werewolves usually go to the groomers in wolf form. Vampires usually have things set up they have appointments years in advance... decades in one case... and yes i'm kidding. Can you imagine a werewolf going to the groomers? Come on people...)

Really? So you've never gone to the groomers, even once?

(... ... ... Shut up...)

That's a yes... :lol:
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Werewolves don't need groomers, their hair is already perfect.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
FormicHiveQueen
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: I'd put something clever here, but you'd expect that.

Post by FormicHiveQueen »

Probably nothing special happens. Werewulf blood might be more nutritious, but I can't imagine there would be any benefits besides that. In most stories blood is just a vampire's food, so all that actually happens to the blood is it gets digested. Any microorganisms that assist the werewulf would probably get dissolved in the stomach (which it would almost have to do anyway if a vampire wanted to avoid contracting things like AIDS; unless we're talking about the undead variety, I can't see AIDS being at all good for a vampire's health).
Give a man some fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for life.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

It's difficult to answer an open-ended question like this, since there are countless variations of vampires and werewolves both, and there's almost no way to know which ones someone is taking about beforehand.

Me, personally, with the biological vampires/shifters I'm working on, yes the blood of a "werewolf" would have a special effect, since they don't actually have the same type of blood as a human does. They've got super bloodcells, that can basically do everything a white/red blood cell or platelet can do, up to selective movement(even against the direction the blood's flowing in, or when the heart has stopped pumping). So, at the most basic level, their blood is "worth" twice a human's, and may even have drug-like effects.

Of course, since these shifters/vampires are built with the same template, but with a select few different traits, they both have "The Hunger", save that shifters inherently have it lessened. It can even be negated entirely, or a sort of "once a month" thing. The shifters are not sensitive to UV radiation, and have lessened hunger, but some of their abilities are not usable in human form.
And the thing is, using the same template for the both of them just works, since they've got 95% of the same traits anyways (strength, speed, senses, etc).
http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... f=1&t=7718
That's what I'm talking about, and everything's explained in much more detail there.

Then, with a different type of "vampire" I'm developing, they're a lot more supernatural in nature and drain lifeforce. Shifters and "werewolves" just have more of this lifeforce, though they're certainly not the only ones with higher than normal reserves of magical energy.

Though, I can certainly imagine a type of vampire that gains its traits from whatever creature it first drains of blood. Say, nature-based powers from animals, transformation powers from werewolves, the classic mesmerizing gaze from the opposite sex, enhanced strength and speed from members of the same sex, and so forth.
Hmm, now I want to design such a type of vampire. Where's my notebook...
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Inquisitor

Post by Goliathe Dark »

I honestly have a hard time buying into vampires. Most of the historical accounts of them have either been simple cannibalism or have actually been connected to cases of werewolves.Also, their tranformation into bats is simply rediculus. It is impossible for a anything to compress it's entire body and still have the abiliy to fly. But, for the sake of argument, lets just say vampires are probable. For a vampire to suck someones blood for sustanance makes enough sense because it is technichly dead and it need to keep the muscles moist enough to function; but for it to be able to drink the blood of some sort of special being and gain that beings strength is simply a sweet dream, especially for werewolves. Think about it, vampires are essentially the reanimated dead............zombies. Vampires don't obtain the abilities of werewolves just as zombies don't become intelligent by eating humans. Not to mention the antibodies in regular wolves, which are probably in werewolves, would eat away at the vampire because it is dead.

Sorry everyone for the pessimism. :)
Last edited by Goliathe Dark on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the difference between an optimistic man and a blind one?

Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Those who beg for death are destined to live forever.

I see you. I know of your intentions. I'd ask you to leave but that wasn't in the cards.....so I'll ask you to die.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

FormicHiveQueen wrote:Probably nothing special happens. Werewulf blood might be more nutritious, but I can't imagine there would be any benefits besides that. In most stories blood is just a vampire's food, so all that actually happens to the blood is it gets digested. Any microorganisms that assist the werewulf would probably get dissolved in the stomach (which it would almost have to do anyway if a vampire wanted to avoid contracting things like AIDS; unless we're talking about the undead variety, I can't see AIDS being at all good for a vampire's health).
Well yeah, it does start off in the stomach, but what digestion does is break down all substance and separate the nutrients which are then absorbed into all other parts of the body. At the very least, a vampire and/or werewolf that drank the other's blood would get a severe case of the runs when his system sends the whole load straight to his colon. Viruses are microscopic; they won't dissolve the same way a cheeseburger will (so a vampire could get AIDS, it just probably won't phase them much since they're technically already dead).
FormicHiveQueen
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: I'd put something clever here, but you'd expect that.

Post by FormicHiveQueen »

Terastas wrote:
FormicHiveQueen wrote:Probably nothing special happens. Werewulf blood might be more nutritious, but I can't imagine there would be any benefits besides that. In most stories blood is just a vampire's food, so all that actually happens to the blood is it gets digested. Any microorganisms that assist the werewulf would probably get dissolved in the stomach (which it would almost have to do anyway if a vampire wanted to avoid contracting things like AIDS; unless we're talking about the undead variety, I can't see AIDS being at all good for a vampire's health).
Well yeah, it does start off in the stomach, but what digestion does is break down all substance and separate the nutrients which are then absorbed into all other parts of the body. At the very least, a vampire and/or werewolf that drank the other's blood would get a severe case of the runs when his system sends the whole load straight to his colon. Viruses are microscopic; they won't dissolve the same way a cheeseburger will (so a vampire could get AIDS, it just probably won't phase them much since they're technically already dead).
Some stomachs, like a vulture's, can break down viruses and bacteria. As I said, a vampire's stomach would almost have to be capable of this unless it's your typical undead variety in order to avoid blood disease. Regardless of which it is, though, werewulf blood will only give a nutritional benefit if it gives anything at all.
Give a man some fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for life.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Goliathe Dark wrote:[snip]
I find it amusing that you find issue with "realism" over the ability to turn into a bat but not with the vampire being undead. A state which - beyond being impossible by anything resembling normal biology - is not sustainable with blood. Your muscles need far more than to be "moist" work. They need various chemicals to trigger them to relax and contract.

Also antibodies don't eat dead things. That's various strains of microbes.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Aki wrote:
Goliathe Dark wrote:[snip]
I find it amusing that you find issue with "realism" over the ability to turn into a bat but not with the vampire being undead. A state which - beyond being impossible by anything resembling normal biology - is not sustainable with blood. Your muscles need far more than to be "moist" work. They need various chemicals to trigger them to relax and contract.

Also antibodies don't eat dead things. That's various strains of microbes.

Seriously though, to explain why vampires need to drink blood would require us to define what it means to be undead, or at the very least to answer the "how do you kill that which is already dead?" question and decide whether vampires actually are dead or not.

I never bought into that "turn into a bat" thing either, but then again, that's one of the many aspects about the original vampire that I often forget about. The last vampire in film or literature I can remember turning into a bat was Leslie Nielsen in Dracula: Dead And Loving It. :P
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Terastas wrote:
Seriously though, to explain why vampires need to drink blood would require us to define what it means to be undead, or at the very least to answer the "how do you kill that which is already dead?" question and decide whether vampires actually are dead or not.

I never bought into that "turn into a bat" thing either, but then again, that's one of the many aspects about the original vampire that I often forget about. The last vampire in film or literature I can remember turning into a bat was Leslie Nielsen in Dracula: Dead And Loving It. :P
It was not my intention to bring about such a debate, merely to point out that crying "unrealism" and then spouting technobabble (or would it be more accurate to say medicalbabble?) to support one's point about a creature that is inherently unrealistic is silly.