Strength of a werewolf, for both sexes

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How strong, generally speaking, would you like the male and female werewolves to be?

able to lift and throw a human
28%
able to lift but NOT throw a car
53%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
19%

Total votes: 99

Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

(before I used this next example, let me be blunt, there will be NO KUNG FU WEREWOLVES in this movie!
:lol:

Anybody seen Wayne's World 2?

Kung Fu werewolves would look stupid. I haven't voted, not really in a thinking mode; I'd say able to lift a car if strong as a human but nothing stupid, no enormous strength.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Fight or flight response. All senses are alert and strength possibley increased. Every living creature has this response when they are threatend.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

I think that naturally the males would be stronger in areas of say... defence of thier pack and hunting........but on the other hand females would show quite decent strength in caring for young, giving birth, defence of thier young,etc.

............... im not saying this to be sexest but the males of the species would show more strength characteristics in more fields than the females... :|
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

White Paw wrote:I think that naturally the males would be stronger in areas of say... defence of thier pack and hunting........but on the other hand females would show quite decent strength in caring for young, giving birth, defence of thier young,etc.

............... im not saying this to be sexest but the males of the species would show more strength characteristics in more fields than the females... :|
In the wild, the Males job is to look tough and defend the territory, but it is usually the females that do the majority of the hunting...since they are better at it. Swifter...more precise...more lethal.

...it's true.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

ah see i didnt know that about the females but i guess so they have thier pups to fend for......to feed :|
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

:D Rowr! Believe it.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

In truth, the alpha can be male or female, and then their mate is considered the alpha as well. Yes, we generally think that males would be the alpha, but in the wild and in wild preserves it isn't the case. There was a special on Animal Planet called "Growing up wolf" The alpha was a female called Rosolin and the leader of the pack. So really, testosterone doesn't really matter. Adrenilin, as someone said before, plays a part. Wolves tend to have have a higher adrenilin output than dogs and higher brain develpement. That is why wolves are interesting to me, because they are so much like humans.
Adrenilin is the key here. Women also have a higher production of adrenilin than men, giving them a higher threshold of pain and a much higher endurance than men. It's pure function is for child birth, but as we have heard or witnessed mothers can pick up large trucks and win marathons with men in them.

Side Note: I'd personally like to see one of the werewolves in the film pick up a car and throw it, even through it unlikely. But hey, Anthony does his own stunts! He'd be perfect for that kind of scene! Comeon, what do you say? :lol:
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Consider the sled dog. Eight of them can haul a good four hundred pounds of sled and dunnage at a decent clip and they're having a blast at it too. They could probably pull more. Native Americans used dogs as beasts of burden before horses came along; not ridden, of course, but they would pull loads.

Now consider a wolf. I'd put their snap-strength at at least half again that of a sled dog.

I saw a video of a guy who did a liberty act with two Andalusian horses. He was obviously a weight-trainer but at one point, he slipped his shoulders behind one horse's elbows and LIFTED the horse's forelegs off the ground — on his shoulders — that's GOTTA be at least eight hundred pounds right there.

Now let's synergize the wolf's strength with that of a human. Let's assume a gestalt werewolf would have musculature similar to the liberty-trainer/weightlifting guy. Add the power of the wolf and you have a critter that could probably bench press the whole horse instead of just lifting its forehooves a foot or so off the ground.

I would imagine a whole pack of werewolves could tumble a car, just like a mob of twenty or so protestors could roll an SUV.
ImageImageImageImage
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Kirk Hammett wrote:
(before I used this next example, let me be blunt, there will be NO KUNG FU WEREWOLVES in this movie!
:lol:

Anybody seen Wayne's World 2?

Kung Fu werewolves would look stupid. I haven't voted, not really in a thinking mode; I'd say able to lift a car if strong as a human but nothing stupid, no enormous strength.
They would look stupid if they were in a cartoon. But then again, it's very hard for most people to mash both elements together without having it to end up looking like that horrible Karate-Kid play.
Aree
Custom Title: Furrball.

Post by Aree »

I've been reading over these forums and also have a 'slight' interest in werewolves. :lol:

The stregnth of a werewolf. You all seem to take it for granted that all of thier race would have about the same stregnth. Or at least it seems that way in your conversations. Now werewolves are essentially modified humans or children of werewolves. I'll take one of those powerlifters I saw mentioned. The one who lifted the horse. He's got to weigh at least 250lbs by himself. Yes? Now lets take me. I weigh 121 lbs. Less than half that. I am sure even if I was trransformed I probably could lift one, maybe two, wheels on a volkswagon off the ground. I wouldn't gain more massive muscles in a large degree I would get what I call the wild physique. Have you ever touched a wild animal? Those of you who have know the feel. How hard the muscles are. It goes along with thier lifestyle.

So the stregnth of a werewolf is a hybridization of these things and more. A highly complex set of base properties. The human you were, the lifestyle you lead, the general care of your stregnth and the hieghtend metabolic rate that leads to the increased recuperative ability.

If I tend to bounce around in my explination I apologize. <.< I tend to think a bit too fast even for how quick I type. Just ask for any clarifications if I wasn't clear somewhere.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Aree wrote: You all seem to take it for granted that all of thier race would have about the same stregnth. Or at least it seems that way in your conversations.
We have had similar conversations about this in the past, and back then I was quite vocal about my insistance that not all werewolves should be hugely muscled, mega strong body builder type creatures, but that small, meek humans should make smaller, sleeker, less brutish werewolves.

...and naturally, if that guy who lifted the horse were to be bitten and made a werewolf, HE would quite possibly be able to lift and maybe even throw an automobile. But ONLY if the person was extrordinarily strong to begin with.

A person the size of Aree and I (123 lbs. 5'7") would NOT turn into the "Wolfenator" and start tossing cars around.
(but we could probobly smash one up pretty good, and toss some motercycles impressively far, perhaps...maybe...if we were REALLY mad.)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
wolf_demon_666
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by wolf_demon_666 »

a male werewolf would be most likely to be the stronger of the two (I'm not sexist just looking at the biological facts) but if the pack leader was an alpha female she would probably be slightly stronger than most of the males in order to keep her position as leader.
Also strength depends on how the person is built in their human form. For instance there are some guys that look like twigs and have almost no physical strength and in that case an average female werewolf would be much stronger that him for instance. It also depends on other factors like adrenaline or the type of strength that the person has (uppeer or lower body)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I hope I'm not coming across as sexist with this remark, but I think they would be evenly matched in terms of combat because, though men are typically faster and stronger, women are more unpredictable.

Ever seen those Wildest Police Videos shows? Whenever a male suspect resists arrest, he usually does so in one of two ways: by fist-fighting or by running. Women resisting arrest will bite, pull hair, kick to the crotch -- whatever it takes. I think guys just have this subconcious mentality that their naturally stronger and therefore don't need to overdo it, whereas women have a subconcious mentality that they're at a disadvantage already and need to give it all they've got.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Terastas wrote:I hope I'm not coming across as sexist with this remark, but I think they would be evenly matched in terms of combat because, though men are typically faster and stronger, women are more unpredictable..
Males are bigger and stronger and females are faster because of less mass. (generally)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

females use there intelligence over there brawn...and males use there brawn over there intelligence... :)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

White Paw wrote:females use there intelligence over there brawn...and males use there brawn over there intelligence... :)
Often, but not allways true...

I've known alot of Wise men and Ditsy Women. :wink:

=^.^'= ~
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

good point ....i for one have also....unfortunately.. :P
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Present of Darkness

Post by forsaken_wolf »

I would just say it would be better if a WW would just throw a human because just lifting up a car or even throwing is just kind of over doing it BUT it would be okay if a WW could could actually push.... well actually ram into a car if it was chasing some helpless poor person who's going to die from its fangs and claws. bleh : P
"lolis"
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

ANYTHING can ram into a car. :P

I guess I can imagine a werewolf able to scoot a small car...maybe. I don't know about that.
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

A guy in Austrailia was able to pull a 747 a good distance, he didn't look like a body guilder, but then again, it is an extreme, but with that said, I could see a WW lifting a compact car over his head.
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Fang wrote:A guy in Austrailia was able to pull a 747 a good distance, he didn't look like a body guilder, but then again, it is an extreme, but with that said, I could see a WW lifting a compact car over his head.
Lifting and holding a car (even a GEO Metro) over thier head seems a bit much to me...but grabbing the side and flipping it I could totally see.

Also, in the case of a large, extra strong werewolf, I could see them getting down on all fours, getting underneath a car (with enough ground clearance) and pushing up with thier back to lift all four wheels clear off the ground, to heave it away, or maybe over a road barrier, or the wall of a parking ramp.
*CRASH*

...but not standing up, holding the whole thing in thier hands, over thier head like Superman. That's going too far, IMHO.

=^.^'= ~
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Here's some good news for anti-"oh god, she's got 30 more popping veins coming out of her pectorals...": Karl Gotch, a wrestler who became super popular in japan, says that he gains his strength without gaining muscle mass by lifting your own weight in correct methods of exercise, thanks to indian Pehlwani grapplers who taught him the same thing. Do a little tweaking for lycanthrope in question, and oh my! An exercise regime for a werewolf without the risk of looking "ludicrous" with all the canteloupe biceps.

Of course, anyone who still thinks human inventions are "for the weak" can keep their opinion... With the expense of said loss.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

kitetsu wrote:Here's some good news for anti-"oh god, she's got 30 more popping veins coming out of her pectorals...": Karl Gotch, a wrestler who became super popular in japan, says that he gains his strength without gaining muscle mass by lifting your own weight in correct methods of exercise, thanks to indian Pehlwani grapplers who taught him the same thing. Do a little tweaking for lycanthrope in question, and oh my! An exercise regime for a werewolf without the risk of looking "ludicrous" with all the canteloupe biceps.
I'm suprised to hear this from you...the artist who draws characters with biceps four feet in diameter.

It's true though. I've actually been thinking about starting on a similar kind of strength training program so I won't be such a wimp any more...but it's really hard to find information on how to do it right. Most male fitness programs are all about "Bulking Up"...which you all know I HATE by now. My best bet might actually be to look up the average training schedule for a Gymnist or, (don't laugh) a Ballet dancer.

Signing up for some kind of Maritial arts training program would probobly be a good idea too.
kitetsu wrote:Of course, anyone who still thinks human inventions are "for the weak" can keep their opinion... With the expense of said loss.
...Inventions?...expense of What loss?...

=^.^'= ~
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

That aside...bodybuilders will tell you that they get the striations in their muscles for shows by not drinking anything. They DEHYDRATE themselves.

:( :scream: :cry:

Uhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnooooo, that's not good. Bad thing to do to your body. Just be active, push your envelope from time to time, and your body knows what it can handle and what it can do.
ImageImageImageImage
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Yeah. Never laugh at the ballet dancers. Those people are strong.

(EDIT) I was responding to Vuldari, BTW. Hi, Vrikasatma. Nice to see we keep the same hours.