Genes and Shifting

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Genes and Shifting

Post by Rosiewolf »

Do you think, in order for a were to change that a gene would need to be turned on--and that would enable the shift from human to another animal? Most authors of were's (or just regular people) say that adrenaline is a big factor of the Change. Well, I was thinking, that the chemical reaction (adrenaline) could cause a repressor protein to leave the gene, and therefore turning the gene "on" (the gene would be expressed in other words), and that would cause the shift? (Er... please tell me if I confuse you, or I'm completely wrong with my biology). And when the shift back to human would turn the gene off, by having a different chemical reaction cause the repressor to come back onto the gene (turning the gene "off"), which would mean that the werewolf would be back in human form.
I hope this made sense. And please tell me if someone has already posted this or something related to it.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Re: Genes and Shifting

Post by Vagrant »

That's actually an interesting idea, and I think given the circumstances of the story, it would be a great way to explain the nature of the Hulk's shift. As the Hulk angers, he suffers a serious adrenaline boost which flips the gene and triggers the shift.

As for Werewolves, if adrenaline is a factor, then I'd imagine the Werewolf in question would probably be Hulk like, and not able much to control their transformation until they'd gotten a good handle on their emotions. Meditation to that kind of Werewolf would be incredibly important, I'd think.

An interesting topic, Rosie, thanks for bringing it up!
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

In a sense, the Wulfen Blood series uses that concept.

The Lupus Inceptor Viroid does a number of things, but the thing that makes the shift possible is that the Viroid rewrites the cell's DNA "template" to make the infected Wulf-to-be into a two phase (Bimorphic) metamorph.
That means that the person can shift between two forms, that of Smoothskinned Human and the Wulf (Gestalt) body. There are a number of potential triggers, but yes; fear and adrenalin are the most common.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
RongYao
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Believe in everything .

Post by RongYao »

The hulk example is good from one side .
Look at the stories with native americans and some shamans, they use meditation to find the way to change .
There may have some differences about the way how people do something , sometimes this thing happens unconsciously under agression or adrenalin , but in other people know how to start this process consciously under meditation or just relaxing .
Ok, human's bodies are around 75 percents water , there have science fact that approve that the human can change the molecules structure of the water when they are sad or happy .
If we take that theory for truth you must have great mind power and control to change yourself into something else .
But human body is not 100% water , that why you may change only 75% of your body .
That is the reason to be half-human , half-wolf !
What you think ?
:)
I really think that there have something in the dark , Im gonna check this out ... Ill be right back and dont panic if something going wrong or just dont go after me !
p.s. You dont need to know what happens .
My deviantart page
My furaffinity page
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

The emotional behavior and arrangement of water molecules, as featured in the documentary movie What the Bleep Do We Know?, is controversial and strange, but it may be a bit of a stretch to say it can itself turn a person into a wolf. Still, it's an area where science is still sorting the details out or coming to terms with a discovery, so there's room for the idea. But, if you did use it as a plot device, try to avoid getting too specific, because otherwise there'd almost certainly be factual nits to pick.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Rosiewolf »

Scott Gardener wrote:The emotional behavior and arrangement of water molecules, as featured in the documentary movie What the Bleep Do We Know?, is controversial and strange, but it may be a bit of a stretch to say it can itself turn a person into a wolf. Still, it's an area where science is still sorting the details out or coming to terms with a discovery, so there's room for the idea. But, if you did use it as a plot device, try to avoid getting too specific, because otherwise there'd almost certainly be factual nits to pick.
Yes I would have to agree with you, Scott, that many people would say that you are trying to prove that werewolves exist and just throw you're book out the window.
(sidenote) The movie What the Bleep Do We Know made me go about insane.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
RongYao
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Believe in everything .

Post by RongYao »

I don't want to prove anything, just looking for other options, theories about that, if you take a look on science, there have many variants to say how someone shape-shifting himself ... for me it's interesting to discuss this things but my English is bad and the conversations on threads like this one is hard for me .

Over the myth and books have a thousands fan theories about shape-shifting or werewolves like separate thing of shape-shifting, some of them are sci-fi, other are just a fantasy .
And why we don't suggest that at some time in the past people really used shape-shifting , where is the line that you must not cross in this theories ?
What can be real and what not !

And by the way in Bulgarian myths have good stories about werewolves .
There have one myth for a hero , which enemies think that he is a werewolf and that why they couldn't kill him .

Sorry about that , goes little offtopic .
:)
I really think that there have something in the dark , Im gonna check this out ... Ill be right back and dont panic if something going wrong or just dont go after me !
p.s. You dont need to know what happens .
My deviantart page
My furaffinity page