What kind of fur/skin does a werewolf have?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

What kind of skin/fur does a werewolf have?

Long Shaggy unkept fur
7%
Medium and more even fur
88%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
4%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
1%

Total votes: 89

Calypso Blue
Site Admin
Site Admin

What kind of fur/skin does a werewolf have?

Post by Calypso Blue »

Now its time for polling.

First set of polls will be in regards to the look.
Tigerwolf
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Fur

Post by Tigerwolf »

There's way too many movies where werewolves look like somebody splattered them with glue and rolled them in fur remnants. Look at the real animal for guidance here. Generally, wolves keep their coats reasonably clean and groomed. If the intent is to have some sympathy for the character, then having them look disheveled and mangy certainly won't help, either.
=^_^= Tigerwolf
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Gonna agree with Tigerwolf here.

Wolves are fairly well groomed animals and simply put, the hidious ape-like werewolves seen in a lot of movies simply bother me because they really don't look like wolves or humans, but rather look like disfigured apes.
Goldenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Yes, -that- Goldenwolf

Post by Goldenwolf »

Wolves have gorgeous pelts, all that shaggy, thick fur is heavenly. There need to be more werewolves with FULL pelts, like the ones in VanHelsing. Whether they are perfectly groomed or shaggy and unkept doesn't really matter to me, as long as fur covers all of their body.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I'd say the style of fur should variate in order to reflect a character's personality. A lazy devil-may-care kind of werewolf could have shaggy and unkempt fur, while a charismatic pack leader would take more care in grooming himself.

EDIT: Spelling error.
Last edited by Terastas on Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runningwolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by runningwolf »

Terastas wrote:I'd say the style of fur should variate in order to reflect a character's personality. A lady devil-may-care kind of werewolf could have shaggy and unkempt fur, while a charismatic pack leader would take more care in grooming himself.
Took the words right out of my muzzle ^^
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I agree that it depends on character on how they keep their fur. A evil werewolf could have shaggy unkept fur while an alpha keeps him/her self looking good.

But their MUST be fur all over the body. I hate seeing bald werewolves or with just patches of stringy fur.
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Werewolf »

Definately more even and well kept, wolves are pretty clean animals and the same if not more so for werewolves :wink:

Also one thing I have a complant about most werewolves in movies is that they are most often a solid dark brown (some are black and a few grey), but most wolves are not a solid color all over their body, the closest would be either the white artic wolf or a black wolf but even they have some slight variation in coat colors more then often.

I like the fact that you are going with more wolf like fur coat colors ^..^
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

I totally agree with TigerWolf, look to real wolves for coat variations. While the genes that make a particular color coat are passed from parents to cubs, it is not unusual for two tawny wolves to have a mostly black offspring.

No brown werewolves!

Something that could be used to designate age is the fact that wolves grey out as they get older. This is particularly noticeable in mostly black wolves. By 5 or 6 they will have noticeably white chests and muzzles. If they make it to 14 they are likely to be nearly all white.

I don?t think that a were?s character would affect their coat condition much, especially if it is assumed that they will stay in their wolf form for relatively short periods. Each time they shift their coat would be regrown. However, I can see where such a designation would make it easier to designate good from bad wolves.

Post by Guest »

I believe that the thickness of the fur should not hide the gender characteristics the werewolves, that is to say, that they have so much fur on their chest that we cannot tell if they have breasts or not. I prefer not for them to have noticable muscle definition under their pelts.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Treads Lightly wrote:I totally agree with TigerWolf, look to real wolves for coat variations. While the genes that make a particular color coat are passed from parents to cubs, it is not unusual for two tawny wolves to have a mostly black offspring.

No brown werewolves!
But what happens if the werewolf has brown hair in his or her human form?
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

Long hair should still be present. Hair should overall lengthen a bit and get wilder. Thicker/longer fur about the neck, upper chest, shoulders, and upper back.

Definite bushy tails.
ANTIcarrot.
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by ANTIcarrot. »

I'd say the style of fur should variate in order to reflect a character's personality.
Disagree. The only things that should affect a wolf's fur coat are seasons and health. So in winter it's thicker, and if they're infested with mange or not eating properly it'd look clumpy. IIRC, wolves in the wild don't spend much (if any) time grooming. I'm pretty sure theri fur just looks like that naturally.

A society of werewolves might doo all sorts of wierd things to their fur, but that's a different issue. ;)

ANTIcarrot.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

ANTIcarrot. wrote:Disagree. The only things that should affect a wolf's fur coat are seasons and health. So in winter it's thicker, and if they're infested with mange or not eating properly it'd look clumpy.
Bear in mind we have two genomes of variance combining into this form, at least if we're dealing with a hybrid bipedal form.

You have humans with thinner hair, thicker hair, occasionally curls, greasy or dry hair, and so forth.

So I see a lot of room for characterizing werewolves this way. Humans are a lot less uniform than wolves are.
ANTIcarrot.
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by ANTIcarrot. »

True Lasthowl, but just just for once I'd like to se a werewolf that looked even vaguely like an actual wolf. Because let's face it, on average, humans are nowhere near as photogenic. For it to be vissually recognisable as a wolf you need the right muzzle, ears, tail and fur.

And a big reason it *should* have fur: Without it the were will look like just another Buffy demon or Star Trek alien. Which is something we really want to avoid. ;)

ANTIcarrot,
Nirvelli Shaddir
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Nirvelli Shaddir »

Wolves are clean beautiful creatures and their fur in most movies is allways shown to be ragged and unkept which isn't true and should be fixed to make them look more elegant .
Nirvelli Shaddir
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

I agree, id prefer to see something elegent as well, especially for the females, who knows, we may get a scene where a female is combing her hair, and her fur.
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

Apokryltaros wrote:But what happens if the werewolf has brown hair in his or her human form?
What I was referring to was that I would not like to see solid colored werewolves. Brown is one of the more common colors found in wolf coats, along with cremes, grays and black. The “typical” wolf coloration, as seen on the index of the forum (look up), is tawny. Wolves that are all black are extremely rarely all black but rather have white or some other coloration that is a minor part of their coat. Darker wolves, in particular, will fade as the age. Once again our thoughtful admin has provided a good example of this in the same place.

As to what happens to hair during the transformation, this hasn’t been discussed yet to my knowledge and this seems an appropriate place to do so.

My aesthetic opinion is that I do not like the look of werewolves with “human” style hair. I know that many artists draw weres this way or with long manes. There was discussion of a werewolf in Ginger Snaps (sorry, I haven’t seen the movie myself) that was easily identified because she had bright pink hair in her human form which stayed behind in the wolf form.

Since the hair is dead, it seems reasonable that it would not be consumed as part of the transformation and therefore remain unchanged. It could be argued that since a werewolf obviously has far more follicles than a normal human the formation of those fur follicles is part of the transformation and the normal hair follicles remain unchanged.
Bete
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bete »

Hmmm, this is another hard one, I went with "Medium and more even fur," but Iwould think that the density of the fur would depend on the season and the climate of the environment that the werewolf is in. I envision that the werewolf would have to have fur similar to real wolves.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

I went with the shorter fur option. I believe that werewolves should have full manes just like in van helsing with heavy amounts of fur running down their back and onto their fluffy tails. The front torso area should have minimal fur or really fine fur to outline the major muscle areas (not THAT muscle!). Basically, I guess what I'm trying to say here is that Van Wolfie was near perfect in my opinion. (not sure what was up with his mane though).
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Think-Harder wrote:I agree, id prefer to see something elegent as well, especially for the females, who knows, we may get a scene where a female is combing her hair, and her fur.
Man, if you thought a human woman with a bad hair day was grouchy, can you imagine a werewolf b****'s attitude if she's having a bad fur day? Yikes.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
What Mafia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Mafia? Not that I'm aware of...
Mood: Depressed

Post by What Mafia »

Let's face it, werewolves shouldn't look like naked mole rats, should they? X3 :wink:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

What Mafia wrote:Let's face it, werewolves shouldn't look like naked mole rats, should they? X3 :wink:
The creative staff for Devoured know for a fact that if they were to try and pull off a stunt like this, the Pack would be out for their blood, while I would be out setting up a roast...
What Mafia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Mafia? Not that I'm aware of...
Mood: Depressed

Post by What Mafia »

Apokryltaros wrote:
What Mafia wrote:Let's face it, werewolves shouldn't look like naked mole rats, should they? X3 :wink:
The creative staff for Devoured know for a fact that if they were to try and pull off a stunt like this, the Pack would be out for their blood, while I would be out setting up a roast...
Naked mole rat lo mein for all? :lol:
It's a shame an entire family can be torn up by something as simple as wild dogs.
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

Heya, I'm new on this board. *waves*

And as for fur, well, this is just my opinion, but...

Ok, a pureblooded werewolf, or one who was born a werewolf, would have a full pelt of fur, and a slightly more lupine structure. The Van Helsing werewolves, the AWIL werewolf, and

This would be examples of a pureblooded lycanthrope.

Werewolves that were humans and then bitten and turned would be different, either more gangly or less fur and such, and their forms based somwhat on the werewolf that turned them.

Example: A person whose form looked similar to the AWIL wolf bites someone, their form would look like the Ginger Snaps form, or even the AWIP wolf, due to the fact that it's a quadraped, with a similar shape, but sleaker limbs, and a more stunted snout.

A person who was bitten by one of the VH wolves would probably have a form similar to the Underworld wolves, a powerful beast, but nearly entirely hairless except for the long mane down the back.

Don't ask where the Dog Soldiers form would originate from, cause I have no clue. ??

Maybe from this one

But again, just my input. And again, hi everyone. *waves*