What kind of fur/skin does a werewolf have?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

What kind of skin/fur does a werewolf have?

Long Shaggy unkept fur
7%
Medium and more even fur
88%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
4%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
1%

Total votes: 89

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/ ... erwolf.jpg

Nice picture. I like. Could use a tail.
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

It actually originally had a tail, but I edited it out, cause I was using the picture in a story I was writing with werewolves, and none of the werewolves had tails in it, so I edited it out.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

NightSlash wrote:It actually originally had a tail, but I edited it out, cause I was using the picture in a story I was writing with werewolves, and none of the werewolves had tails in it, so I edited it out.

Should've kept the original as is and used the edited one as a copy.
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

I did, but then my computer died, and I didn't have the tailed one saved. I tried to find the original one, but the site it came from had shut down.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

NightSlash wrote:I did, but then my computer died, and I didn't have the tailed one saved. I tried to find the original one, but the site it came from had shut down.
oh, ok. I didn't know you're PC died. sorry.
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

It's ok. PCs are evil things at times.

...ok, now to get away from the off-topic ness. Heh.
Rodentia
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rodentia »

I went with medium and more even, and agree that werewolves should be covered in fur, like real wolves..as far as coloring, alot of that has to do with the basic "where do werewolves come from?"..if they are a variant of wolves, then of course they should follow the coloring patterns and seasonal fur thickness and such. but if they're an entirely seperate creature, then I'd say it would depend more on how the condition is passed on..agreeing with an earlier post that mentioned the coloring of the biter would manifest heavily in the bitee..

just a thought...
To Sleep..Perchance To Scream
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I'd figure medium-length fur with areas of long shaggy fur, like the mane, back, and the forearms and lower legs.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadowblaze wrote:I'd figure medium-length fur with areas of long shaggy fur, like the mane, back, and the forearms and lower legs.
Lets not get carried away with shaggy fur or have parts of the costume looking baggy while wearing it.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Most of it is medium. Only little tufts on the arms/legs. Have you ever seen a Morrowind werewolf?
Suho Wolf
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

What kind of fur/skin does a werewolf have?

Post by Suho Wolf »

Ummm,

First, I understand the love of wolves that runs high on this list. I have also loved them for years and years. They are beautiful animals.

But, I view werewolves as human first, with wolf traits grafted on to that. I try and view the beast from something of a rational approach (itself an oxymoron, I know). One of the best things about "Underworld" was their attempt to explain in 'scientific' terms what made them tick.

Also understanding that we are attempting to explain fantasy in terms of science, it makes it all the more believable for me if there IS a quasi-plausible theory. I think the fur should be short, and the features more human. What could make a human's body change form so drastically as to become a wolf? That is the question for me.

Maybe if a child were bitten while still developing, or a creature born as a werewolf (as has been suggested in posts), the result would be different. Still, most werewolves do not start out as such. The fur/hair should look first to that person's hair for guidance on color and consistency. Most humans are very different from each other in terms of their body hair and the hair on their heads. Why should all werewolves suddenly grow thick identical coats of fur?

I have other ideas for explaining some of the science of werewolves; they are simply possible explanations, but they exceed the scope of this topic.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I love tim's use of fur.

ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Not sure if I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I think you made an excellent choice, picking Mr. Albee as "Freeborn"'s character-effects designer, Mr. Brownrigg.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Re: What kind of fur/skin does a werewolf have?

Post by Howling Fan »

Suho Wolf wrote:I view werewolves as human first, with wolf traits grafted on to that. I try and view the beast from something of a rational approach (itself an oxymoron, I know).

Also understanding that we are attempting to explain fantasy in terms of science, it makes it all the more believable for me if there IS a quasi-plausible theory. I think the fur should be short, and the features more human. What could make a human's body change form so drastically as to become a wolf? That is the question for me.
I have to agree with this guy on this particular topic. In fact, this is the first time I've been disappointed with the project ("Freeborn"). The pic that Anthony posted earlier looks like a large dog to me, not a werewolf. When I think of werewolves, I think of human first, and then wolf (hence, "were-wolf"). To have the characters in this movie actually change into real wolves, instead of a hybrid thereof, is surprising to me, given I've agreed with everything else on this site. For example, I was saddened to learn that the female TF in this movie will have her become a full wolf, on all fours, instead of the hybrid, bipedal wolf form we've been discussing here. I find it a bit odd that everyone wants to see the bipedal human/wolf form, and indeed it's been promoted many times that that is exactly what we're going to get, and then out of left field, we're talking about real wolves, wolves walking on all fours, and TFs that end up with animals from a zoo, as opposed to the walking movie monsters we all know and love. I'm not complaining mind you; anything werewolf related is good enough for me. Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Howling Fan
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

That picture has nothing to do with freeborn, its an old pic of a fur render that tim albee did.. I just like the FUR.. the FUR.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Okay, heres the idea. the story focuses around four friends. All of them werewolves. two humans, And four other werewolves. So thats eight werewolves (main characters)..

In were form, mostly gestalt form. Full wolf will be used when necessary. But I'm sorry, the bipedal werewolf is what we're all here to see I think

This has already been stated, I don't want the film to be about real wolves.. they're only used when necessary, I agree with you to have a bipedal werewolf. totally.

Oh by the way, there are three female werewolves in this story, and all three transform. Only one of them goes to full wolf, because its her first shift. The others go tyhybrid form. JUst in case you're wondering.
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

Sounds awsome... :D
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

O.k., I think I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up, Anthony. And the extra female TFs (that I didn't know about) into hybrid form sound very promising indeed. "The more, the merrier..."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:I love tim's use of fur.

http://www.worley.com/media/examples/sa ... fDance.jpg
Wow! That fur looks real!! 8)
Roxikat

Post by Roxikat »

ABrownrigg wrote:That picture has nothing to do with freeborn, its an old pic of a fur render that tim albee did.. I just like the FUR.. the FUR.
You mentioned Tim Albee! Oh cool! Then you must have seen his solo project Kaze: Ghost Warrior. For working alone, I think Tim's project turned out beautifully.
JB
Roxi
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Roxikat wrote:
ABrownrigg wrote:That picture has nothing to do with freeborn, its an old pic of a fur render that tim albee did.. I just like the FUR.. the FUR.
You mentioned Tim Albee! Oh cool! Then you must have seen his solo project Kaze: Ghost Warrior. For working alone, I think Tim's project turned out beautifully.
Which was why he was put in charge of designing the werewolves.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

As a matter of fact it was Kaze that drew me to contact Tim in the first place. Aside from the design, Tim also has it where it counts as far as story, and content. He believes in this project as much as I do, and thats important.

Kaze will be coming to A-Kon as well. He'll be doing a screening and a panel discussion about it.
Rodentia
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rodentia »

I've noticed people saying they don't want wolves with bald spots and such, but my question is the opposite..what if the person had a lot of body hair normally, would that cause the transformed coat to be thicker than "normal"? what about really long hair or a big full beard? would those translate to a mane or a neck ruff and extra muzzle fur?
To Sleep..Perchance To Scream
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Rodentia wrote:I've noticed people saying they don't want wolves with bald spots and such, but my question is the opposite..what if the person had a lot of body hair normally, would that cause the transformed coat to be thicker than "normal"? what about really long hair or a big full beard? would those translate to a mane or a neck ruff and extra muzzle fur?
Makes sense to me, that any hair-length of the human-side would be reflected somewhat as the wolven side. If your human side is bearded, so is the wolf side.

Now, I'm not saying hair STYLE would be mirrored, just length. So, no wolves with perms or anything like that - that's just silly.

That's kinda also a good way to tell male from female; women typically have longer hair than men, so a female werewolf would have a somewhat more-pronounced 'mane' than a male.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Rodentia wrote:I've noticed people saying they don't want wolves with bald spots and such, but my question is the opposite..what if the person had a lot of body hair normally, would that cause the transformed coat to be thicker than "normal"? what about really long hair or a big full beard? would those translate to a mane or a neck ruff and extra muzzle fur?
If someone had an afro as a human then the werewolf would look like this!!