Cure

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Cure

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Okay...

Let's say someone actually comes up with a cure for werebeasts in general.

Let's also say that, said werebeasts are known to the world.

What do you think would happen?

And i haven't found something like this... and it's just a thought that's eating away at my brain...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Re: Cure

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Two words: Bicentennial Man (film).
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

1) Skepticism: The miracle cure is one of the oldest con games in the book. There would probably be hundreds of people out there claiming to have the cure for lycanthropy, half of which would be con artists trying to exploit the desperate, and the other half would be religious nuts and human supremacists who would likely "cure" lycanthropy by killing off the population. If someone did discover a cure for lycanthropy, it would doubted, and possibly even met with hostility.

2) Discrimination: Developing a "cure for werebeasts" implies that there's something wrong with werebeasts. It would almost be like if someone claimed to have a "cure for gays."

No matter what the nature of lycanthropy may be (even if it's a Vuldari-brand curse), people will defend themselves for having it (one thing I think would happen before the cure and after public awareness is that legions of therians, emos, Twilight fans etc. would line up to get infected). Some werewolves would refuse the cure, and any attempts by any public official to mandate it would be met with hostility. After the "victim" werewolves have cured themselves, any KKK-ish anti-lycan groups would become that much more vocal against what is presumably now a population entirely consistent of people who chose to be werewolves.

3) Reverse Discrimination: Law & Order had an episode once where a doctor who had developed a possible cure for deafness was murdered by someone who could only be described as a deaf supremacist. No matter what the condition may be, as long as it can be lived with, someone will always insist that they're a better human being because of it. While the "victim" werewolves line up for a cure, other proud-to-be werewolves will come together in their own exclusive communities where they make it an effort to keep all non-lycanthropes out. Some, like in the L&O episode, may take those feelings of lycanthrope pride to an even greater extreme and deliberately attempt to spread lycanthropy, destroy the cure or murder the people that discovered it. That, of course, will only give the anti-lycans more excuses to push for a radical agenda.

The snowball will keep getting bigger until the anti-lycans and lycan-supremacists upgrade to gang warfare. That will ruin either group's chances of having their agenda ratified, but tensions between humans and werewolves will remain high as innocents from both groups get caught in the crossfire.

4) Isolation: The idealistic scenario would be one where werewolves become a recognized minority, but with a cure available, there would always be pressure against them. At that point, any werewolves who hadn't taken the cure when it was new would not take it now, because even if they did "become human" again, they'd still have to live with that negative association of once having been a proud werewolf, which would leave them isolated from both the human population they'd previously been opposed to and the still proud werewolves whom will feel betrayed now. Sooner or later, they'll do exactly what the Pack and/or Freeborn werewolves have done: isolate themselves and live as werewolves in secret; leave the human majority to think all the werewolves in the world have either been cured or killed off and move on. When all the other werewolves in the world have been cured or killed, those will be the only ones left standing.

The only difference between now and then is that they'll think lycanthropy is simply extinct, not that it never existed to begin with. That will leave more than just a handful of conspiracy nuts for werewolves to worry about, but I still think within a generation or two, the public at large will have left it out of their minds completely. At least, of course, until another werewolf decides to come out again.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Well, in part it depends on if the creation of the cure is open or secret. If it's perhaps something open, like the search for the cure for cancer or AIDS, then that's different than if some private agency creates it. Also, it depends on how it works. If it gives 60% of everyone affected by it fatal heart attacks, then that's different from if it's undetectable until the next time the person tries to transform.

This especially depends on who is a were, and what the goals of those doing the "curing" are. Because, death is just as much of a cure as the removal of symptoms is. In fact, it's the traditional method, even by those people who publicly condemn murderers.

And again, it depends on low this cure takes to work, and what dosage is required. If you can slip it into their food and poof they're humans, that's different from if each and every were needs to be brought in to the lab for testing and controlled dosing.

I suppose, if anything, a temporary fix, similar to birth control pills, works easier than a permanent cure. Especially in the face of getting it accepted. Some women might be happy to be rendered infertile now, but five years from now and they'll be breaking down the doors trying to get the process reversed. The same with lycanthropy, I imagine a fair percentage would be happy to not be hairy, but there would not be mass approval for a permanent irreversible thing, especially if you are now immune to lycanthropy now.
Then again, it all depends on what types, whether it can be controlled, who's involved, and so forth.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

1: Cure is public, and, has been verified as working.
2: There are no side effects to the cure.
3: I confess, and please do not hate me for this but... i got the idea from an X-Men comic, where a cure for mutation was found.

I was curious to see if there would be any differences between what occured in the comic, and what people think would happen with the werebeasts. Apparently, there isn't... my other question is, do you think any government might turn said Werebeast cure into a weapon, like what occurred in the X3 movie...

Please don't hate me for wondering...

I honestly am wondering...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:my other question is, do you think any government might turn said Werebeast cure into a weapon, like what occurred in the X3 movie...
Absolutely. Like I said, a lot of people would consider killing off all known werewolves to be a legitimate way to cure them.

Regardless of how effective the actual cure is, werewolves should be skeptical of it, both because others will have definitely offered fatal cures before then, because the motivation for creating such a cure will be subject to scrutiny, and because even if the original cure was 100% safe and efficient, there would still be no accounting for the intent of anyone that agrees to distribute it.

The legitimate cure would be attacked by both sides; werewolf supremacists will try to sabotage it so that it doesn't work, and anti-lycans will try to sabotage it so that it kills every werewolf that takes it. Knowing that, even werewolves eager to be human again would be hesitant to take the cure.

There would also be additional skepticism because of its guaranteed 100% effectiveness with no side effects. The last miracle cure for an incurable disease I'd ever heard of was the cure for cancer / zombie virus from I Am Legend. As the saying goes, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Mmm... i kinda thought so...

Even if the distributor is the actual company that makes it, there is no guarantee that someone won't "accidentally" ruin it.

However, about anti-lycanists... whether it's religious reasons or just plain hatred, if the cure works and makes a werebeast into a human, you'd think they wouldn't bother to make it lethal, since the ones who are taking it no longer want to be werebeasts. It would look bad if they did, as they cure was made to help people.

At least, that's the reason i think no one sabotaged the Mutant Cure in the comic... could be wrong...

But thanks for not hating me for bringing this up...
V, from V for Vendetta.

Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

There's another side to this, too, that I'd like to add. I apologise if it's been covered, but I didn't spot it.

The cure could be used without consent.

Consider if it was found out that Werewolves did exist, and a cure was developed. A bit of PR spin-doctoring could convince everyone that this is needed to make those 'poor creatures' right again, it could be made out that Werewolves are unstable, feral creatures, and the cure could return to them their Humanity, allowing them to be free of their torment so that they can live their lives as productive members of society again.

At which point Werewolves could be rounded up by the dozen, and 'cured', they would then be released back into society to function on their own merits. Most Werewolves would go into hiding, at this point, as Terastas suggested with one of his key poinits. One thing that amuses me here is: What if they were to setup an underground railroad?

So that if a Werewolf does get caught, they could find the railroad, and their way back into secret Werewolf society, and get bitten again. That is if the cure isn't resistant to future bites (in which case, this would probably impossible and they'd likely have a lot of suicides on their hands, or a lot of asylum in-patients). Anyway, assuming that a bite could reset them back to their toothy selves, they may want to allow relief for those who've been cured against their will.

There may even be efforts to try and 'stop the railroad', and the people who try may even consider themselves to be Humanitarian, because they might see it as trying to stop a drug flow--that these poor people are just addicted to being a Werewolf, and they simply need medication and rehabilitation. So the railroad could come under a lot of scrutiny, they'd have to be very wary and paranoid in order to make it work.

This could put the Werewolves in a similar situation to a lot of gangs who have to hide their drug trafficking routes; except in the case of the Werewolves, they'd really be the good guys, it's just that no one else could ever realise it, they'd have no way to convince them. People might not be able to live without the Werewolf gift, so there might be those who staff the railroad just to make sure that friends and family don't end up offing themselves after having something so precious removed from them.

In fact, this might even make for a good story...
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

As asked earlier, yeah, a cure could certainly be used as a weapon.

Suppose a some politician was a lycanthrope, and was a supporter for lycanthrope rights. Cure him, whisper that he did it voluntarily, and in the right situation his supporters would turn against him. Suppose some folk-hero soldier or cop was waging a winning war against crime, or some other country, or group, or whatnot. If he looses his powers, he's no more than any other human, even if he is a talented marksman and investigator.

Wolverine is usually a pretty quintessential example of some werewolves, now take away his claws, healing factor, reflexes, strength, and enhanced senses. See what it can do?
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

Yep, I saw that turning it into a weapon was mentioned; I didn't really want to use it that way though, like I said, in the idea I had in mind, most people wouldn't think of it as a weapon. In fact, there might only be one or two (who aren't Werewolves) who actually see it that way.

And mostly, it was just a lead-in to the Werewolf underground railroad idea that I wanted to share. I didn't go too well about leading into the idea though, I admit, but it's something I might actually write for the anthology, should I take part in it. Not necessarily the first shift, but the first shift again after being forced to be a Human for a while, and the psychological torture and trauma that would bring to a once-Werewolf who wanted to stay as a Werewolf.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

kitetsu wrote:Two words: Bicentennial Man (film).
Wow. You just made me want to rent that.

(Sorry for being off topic!)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Since the unanimous perspective being presented here (once again) is that Lycanthropy is the greatest thing EVER, and the suggestion of being cured is being treated like cutting off a manly mans genitals (removing their perceived personal identity) ... essentially just a mean thing to do and something that almost NO werewolves would ever do ...

... the fact that my personal perspective on Lycanthropy, what it is and how it works (that Lycanthropy is, and always has been a BAD thing ... whether it be forcefully induced, or something that only evil people induce on themselves) is the complete polar opposite from everyone else here makes me realize that there would be almost no point to even posting my thoughts and ideas here in this thread, because they would almost all be glossed over and ignored anyway, or brushed aside.

Anything I say would not even be about the same subject as what the rest of you are talking about (you see it more like the "Cure for Mutant Superpowers" from the "X-men" or "Heroes" series' than a cure for a 'Disease', as I see it).

[Though, to sum it up briefly ... IF Lycanthropy worked the way everyone but daydreaming, blindly enthusiastic Wolf Lovers understand it to *cough*, a CURE would be gratefully embraced by all but the delusional, twisted or insane ... complicated only by those who would rather no one knew they used to be a werewolf, even after being cured. Knowing a Werewolf used to babysit for your children, even if nothing ever happened, would probably freak some people out. There would be a lot of retroactive anger towards those former werewolves for "putting others in potential danger without anyone knowing it", simply by keeping their "condition" a secret for years. That would give even those eager to be cured reason to hesitate coming forward ... either after the fact, or even risk exposing themselves by pursuing the treatment at all.]

This is me just rolling my eyes again at the suggestions of "Secret Werewolf Societies" and "Underground Railroads" and "Werewolf CULTURE Political Leaders" (like it's some sort of RELIGION or something) ... which all seem very silly to me ... and walking away, shaking my head.

Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

A cure would be seen with a great deal of skepticism, considering that no one really understands what makes werewolves to begin with.

If it was proven to work, there would be a mixed reaction. While there are few sentient were-animals that actively hate what they've become, being one is still kind of like having a mental disorder, taking medications for years, and then suddenly going off your meds. You might feel a lot better, and experience many new and powerful sensations, but you have to live with the gnawing fact that you are now controlled by instincts that are not entirely rational, and some of those lurking instincts very well might urge you to do something horrible.

This fear is something that never fully goes away, even if a werewolf thinks he's come to grips with his instincts for a long time. Some werewolves might grow so weary of wrestling with themselves that becoming human again--even if it's a dull, short-range state by comparison--would be preferable.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:However, about anti-lycanists... whether it's religious reasons or just plain hatred, if the cure works and makes a werebeast into a human, you'd think they wouldn't bother to make it lethal, since the ones who are taking it no longer want to be werebeasts. It would look bad if they did, as they cure was made to help people.
That's making the assumption that anti-lycanists were rational beings. And personally, I feel that if they were rational, they wouldn't have resorted to killing in the first place.

The religious approach would be a crusade against sin and immorality, as it were. Lycanthropy from a religious perspective would be a curse, and regardless of whether they feel it was a result of activity with the devil or a punishment by God upon a sinner, they'd still consider a cured werewolf to be a sinner/monster worthy of nothing but death. They might even push that fanaticism further and condemn the people that developed the cure for "enabling sin" or "questioning God's judgment" as it were.

People that kill for religious reasons were never rational to begin with.

And hatred? Why would someone motivated by hatred want to help anyone? In this case, the crusade against lycanthropy wasn't something they perceived as a worthy cause; just a good excuse for them to go out and kill somebody. You see people like that all the time: people mad at themselves for being unable to justify their own miserable existence but who take it all out on the entire world around them. From the Neo-Nazis to all those idiots that refer to the Columbine kids as martyrs, the world is full with angry miserable people that would love nothing more than an excuse to kill as many people as possible.

So regardless of which is their motivation, the killing would always be more important to them than the curing.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Berserker wrote:A cure would be seen with a great deal of skepticism, considering that no one really understands what makes werewolves to begin with.
I would think the answer to that question would be a prerequite to the creation of a "Cure" in the first place. How could one find a cure if they don't even know what they are curing? ... mix random chemicals and see what happens? Make up random magical incantations until one of them works?

I think some knowledge of what it is and how it works is presumed if someone has a "Cure" and has developed a system for applying it effectively.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas: Good point...
Vagrant: that's what i thinking about when i said it could be used as a weapon. In X-3, they turned the cure into a weapon.
Vuldari: I wouldn't have minded you posting something here. It's just my version of werebeasts are different than yours, that's all...

Also: I am very surprised people actually continued to talk about it... it is an interesting question though...

Hmm... i wonder...
V, from V for Vendetta.

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote: Vuldari: I wouldn't have minded you posting something here. It's just my version of werebeasts are different than yours, that's all...
I did share at least a little something:
I wrote: [[slightly rephrased]] IF Lycanthropy worked (the way I understand it), a CURE would be gratefully embraced by almost all but the delusional, twisted or insane ... complicated by those who would rather no one knew they used to be a werewolf, even after being cured. Knowing a Werewolf used to babysit for your children, even if nothing ever happened, would probably freak some people out. There would be a lot of retroactive anger towards those former werewolves for "putting others in potential danger without anyone knowing it", simply by keeping their "condition" a secret for years. That would give even those eager to be cured reason to hesitate coming forward ... either after the fact, or even risk exposing themselves by pursuing the treatment at all.

=^.^'= ~
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

There was a point brought up wherein the "cure could be administered without consent".
At that point, it becomes less a cure than a device of oppression in "somebody's" hands...and that "somebody" knows better than you, what it is that you need. You're a Were-whatever; therefore you need to be "cured" of your disease.
Welcome to the Stalinist era, everybody; where the State decides what you need, and you live with that "largesse". Or die from it.
If the action of choice is removed from a situation, it becomes a dictatorship. Even the most benign of situations becomes totalitarian when the option of saying "no" and making it stick is removed from the equation.
And sadly, it is the easiest thing to sell to the public at large. Nobody wants to go against the "public good" even if it isn't. :(
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Never mind Bicentennial Man; X-Men 3 nailed this one.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Scott Gardener wrote:Never mind Bicentennial Man; X-Men 3 nailed this one.
I brought up Bicentennial Man because it's the Lite version of X-Men 3. So basically we have 2 sides of the extreme.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

RedEye wrote:There was a point brought up wherein the "cure could be administered without consent".
At that point, it becomes less a cure than a device of oppression in "somebody's" hands...and that "somebody" knows better than you, what it is that you need. You're a Were-whatever; therefore you need to be "cured" of your disease.
Welcome to the Stalinist era, everybody; where the State decides what you need, and you live with that "largesse". Or die from it.
If the action of choice is removed from a situation, it becomes a dictatorship. Even the most benign of situations becomes totalitarian when the option of saying "no" and making it stick is removed from the equation.
And sadly, it is the easiest thing to sell to the public at large. Nobody wants to go against the "public good" even if it isn't. :(
Yeah... in the comic, a kid who loved his powers was forced to take the cure. In later issues, he committed suicide...
V, from V for Vendetta.

RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Hmmm... You've either been reading some really OLD X-Men comics, or they've re-used the idea again. I suspect the latter.

Whether it's Lycanthropy or Mutational Power or even some non-harmful deviation from the norm; people forget that we are all the sum of our parts. If some of those parts are "legendary" or "impossible"; it makes no difference. We are the sum of those parts whether Society likes it or not, and those parts are what makes up our nature and the basic "who we are".

Delete those parts, whether for the "good of society" or worse, "your own good" and you're as good as raped, only you can recover from rape. Once part of you is taken away, it's gone for good. That is not recoverable.

A perfect example is found in the American Indian. Okay: for the most part he was a stone-age man with a hard and short life ahead of him. Society "upgraded" him with education and X-tianity* by taking him away from his "degenerate" parents and sending him to missionary schools. In the process, this Society destroyed his culture, his history, and his sense of having a "People" he was a part of.
Of all groups, American Indians have the highest suicide rates here in the United States. Alcoholism is rampant among many tribes. Many young people don't see themselves as part of any group; although that is changing now, thank the Goddess.
There are your Werewolves. There is your cure. There is the result.
*X-tians: People who act the way Christ never would have acted, claiming to do so in His name. This is NOT a slam at Christians!
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
heartlessfang
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: I'm a manga artist/comic artist/writer. I've taken martial arts for about 11 years. Never played any of the Werewolf card games.
Mood: RAR!

Post by heartlessfang »

^well said. A sad situation indeed.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

RedEye wrote:Hmmm... You've either been reading some really OLD X-Men comics, or they've re-used the idea again. I suspect the latter.

Whether it's Lycanthropy or Mutational Power or even some non-harmful deviation from the norm; people forget that we are all the sum of our parts. If some of those parts are "legendary" or "impossible"; it makes no difference. We are the sum of those parts whether Society likes it or not, and those parts are what makes up our nature and the basic "who we are".

Delete those parts, whether for the "good of society" or worse, "your own good" and you're as good as raped, only you can recover from rape. Once part of you is taken away, it's gone for good. That is not recoverable.

A perfect example is found in the American Indian. Okay: for the most part he was a stone-age man with a hard and short life ahead of him. Society "upgraded" him with education and X-tianity* by taking him away from his "degenerate" parents and sending him to missionary schools. In the process, this Society destroyed his culture, his history, and his sense of having a "People" he was a part of.
Of all groups, American Indians have the highest suicide rates here in the United States. Alcoholism is rampant among many tribes. Many young people don't see themselves as part of any group; although that is changing now, thank the Goddess.
There are your Werewolves. There is your cure. There is the result.
*X-tians: People who act the way Christ never would have acted, claiming to do so in His name. This is NOT a slam at Christians!
The comics did come out recently, like the last two-three years in fact.

I agree whole heartedly on everything you said. In the same comic, Beast aka Henry McCoy was contemplating taking the cure... despite the fact they did call mutation a disease, and him taking it would be admitting everything negative anyone ever said about mutants was true, he was ready to give up everything he had: his friends, his family, the respect of the mutant community, just to be what humans consider normal...

(Now for WWK3's dictonary.
Normal: What you perceive to be okay, everyday, etc. that does not harm anyone or anything.
Abnormal: Trying to be like everyone else in the world, just so people won't notice you.
Weird: what people who don't like you and don't care about you, think of you if you act differently from them, which in that case, would be a good thing. :D )

Question: In the case of Werebeasts, wouldn't taking the cure technically be killing and/or injuring severally, the inner animal? Or would that just be my thinking?

As for the Native Americans... just another example of why some days, i don't want to be human anymore... hopefully, it'll get better for them...
V, from V for Vendetta.

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

[ [ Alright ... I just can't stay quiet about this topic ] ]

I still just don't and prefer not to see the WOLF part of a Werewolf as PART of WHO/WHAT the person is, the same way the heritage of of someone of mixed decent on their mothers side is a part of who they are.

If you are a plain, ordinary Human whom already has two heritages (both parents) ... and then are bitten by a Werewolf ... Suddenly the Wolf that they start turning into (whether they are thrilled by it, or despise it), which was previously not a part of them in any way, is now suddenly a third heritage, which they should be insulted by the suggestion of being separated from, and would be a crime to remove from them??

WHAT??

That doesn't make any sense.

Even if your Parents Were already Werewolves, and you were born with it because of that ... how is that any different than being born with HIV, or other Birth Transferable Infectious conditions?

Lycanthropy, by nature, is a condition induced by foreign influences (be it Viral/Biological or Magical), and not a RACE, or a CULTURAL HERITAGE (Unless you are making up something new, which is different from what Werewolves have EVER been in any of the stories you are basing this new thing off of).

By that reasoning, people who contract Virus's and/or any other infection that sticks with them for their entire life should consider their disease to be part of their heritage too. (I can think of Millions of people who would not be fond of that particular mindset)

Even if someone is forced to grow into a stronger willed, and more spiritual person in order to deal with having AIDS, and becomes a better person overall because of it ... the HIV virus in their blood (whether caught in their own life, or inherited from their mother) is not part of WHO/WHAT they are, but merely a circumstance of their life.

IMHO ... regardless of the feelings of the person(s) in question about how being host to Lycanthropy has effected their outlook on life, and personal identity, it is still a foreign influence, and not part of themselves, and I'm pretty sure that most who actually had to live with it (even if lacking the usual downsides I personally prefer the creatures have) would come to see that to be the truth as well ... unless they were delusional Wolf Lovers who prefer to be in denial about being human, etc.

It seems more likely to me that a very small minority of Lycanthropic Hosts would share the attitudes prevalent here in this thread. Some may argue different reasons for feeling their Lycanthropy is in no need to be "Cured" (physical benefits, etc.), while others may willfully accept the treatment while still looking back at the experience as a beneficial challenge and personality building event for them which they have few or no regrets about ... but I seriously can't see very many SANE people CLINGING to Lycanthropy (as an identity almost more important to them than their HUMAN identity) the way the rest of you seem to suggest that MOST would.

I think most of you are very confused.

Take this into consideration.

Do you really think that ONLY Wolf Lovers would become host to Lycanthropy? ... as if, only people who think the way the WOLF CRAZY people in the web forum think would be/become werewolves, and that the popular mindset of people here is in any way, shape or form even REMOTELY close to the attitude, mindset and perspective of the AVERAGE human being?

Here is a news flash ... to most people outside of this forum, based on the things we say here, we are all NUTCASES.

In reality ... most people would not do as or see the situation anywhere NEAR the same way you would ... and that includes the people who end up contracting or being born with Lycanthropy (if it actually existed).

The sad truth would be ... those who would be the most vocal and visibly opposed to being cured would probably be those who want to stay (or become) werewolves for many of the wrong reasons, and would just seemingly prove the points of the overzealous fanatics who would prefer to see it erased from existence by any means necessary. ... thus making both sides the BadGuys (both truthfully and stereotypically), and leaving those looking for a balanced, reasonable compromise quietly picking up the pieces as wiser but overwhelmed minority, as is usually the case in such situations.

It surely would not be a simple as: "Werewolves = Misunderstood, Oppressed Good Guys" and "Cure Evangelists = Ignorant, Wolf/Freedom hating Bad Guys".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me ... I would probably be standing somewhere in the middle trying (I can't claim to KNOW the right answer than no one else knows, but I would surely try to find it) to be a good mediator.

*Speaking Online to a Lycanthrope in Human form, Wearing an oversized T-Shirt with a Wolf Print on it, and a Native American headband, (even though he is clearly of African Heritage) ... and a Fanatic White Woman Wearing an elaborate Rosary and All White, who goes around wielding a Tranquilizer gun in one hand loaded with shots of "The Cure", and holstering a Magnum Pistol on her hip loaded with Silver Bullets, and wearing a Button that says "The BEAST is the DEVIL 666"*

- [Snippet/Summary of what I have to say to the Werewolf] - " ... if you think you need Fur, Claws and a Tail to be WHO you are ... I don't think you really understand what 'Personal Identity' is ... However, if that lifestyle is that important to you, you should accept that most people don't want to risk the chance of becoming host to Lycanthropy, and are not comfortable or happy with someone who could rip them in half in a heartbeat living next door, and should respect their own freedom and wishes by making some sacrifices in what you can and can not do to ensure they are able to have an equal chance to live the lives the way THEY wish to as much as you do. Being a Werewolf does not give you more right to hunt, act, howl as much, or in any way or any time you want. If that is who and what you want to be, be respectful and do it far away from those who are afraid of you in an appropriate area where you have room to do it ... and show the personal responsibility to EARN that, same as anyone else, and don't expect anyone to just grant you a Werewolf sanctuary in the best places for nothing. You want 100 acres to run wild and naked in? ... fine ... but you've got to buy and pay taxes on the land like anyone else. As far as I'm concerned, you are still a Human citizen of your home country, and I'm going to treat you like one. No special favors or exceptions. No Better ... No Worse ... with as much a right to live and be happy as anyone else. I think it would be best that everyone do the same."

- [To the Anti-Werewolf Fanatic] - " ... I know that you are on this crusade of yours with none of the best Intentions Miss. I whole heatedly agree ... what happened in California spring of 05 was a crime against moral decency and a tragedy. That was a perfect example of why Lycanthropy needs to be regulated and closely monitored. No matter how anyone feels about the crimes of humanity, or how much they love animals, killing those 13 people was inexcusable, and forcing all those others to become werewolves to 'open their eyes' ... including your poor sister who has been deathly terrified of Wolves since she was a child ... I hope you find and bring to justice that man who did that to her. I'm glad to hear the second treatment went well, in spite of her attempt to commit suicide after the first one failed, and send her my best wishes to get out of the Recovery center soon. However, as much as I agree that this man here could use a reality check, he is a good man, has never hurt anyone, and I have no reason to believe he ever intends to. Though a little obnoxious, I think he deserves to have a chance to live a full life, and for him Lycanthropy (what he calls the "Blessing of his True Spirit") is the only means for him to do so. He would have died at the age of ten of his genetic degenerative spinal cord disease had he not been treated in that controversial Medical Study, and all his doctors agree that if you Cured him, he would only have a maximum of 7 months to live before it set in again. I'm afraid I just don't agree that he is better off dead than living out his remaining years as a Werewolf. ... and I don't think he agrees either. Don't judge him by the actions of others who have abused and corrupted this strange thing we don't yet fully understand. Let him be judged by his own merits and faults."

Would I expect either of them listen to me or change their opinions based on what I said to them ... not likely. No one EVER listens to me. ... but I wouldn't know what else to do but try.

[BTW: In this scenario, I wouldn't want to be a Werewolf, and if I already was, would likely take the cure ... but would still be fascinated by Lycanthropy and would surely express great interest in learning how it works, and possibly reverse-engineering its functional components to repair and enhance the human body in more subtle and controlled ways, as well as exploring alternatives to a FULL 'Cure', such as maybe Nutritional supplements or minor surgeries which would repress the more extreme elements of Lycanthropy while allowing its beneficial components (assuming it has any) to still function.]

(I suppose I would be more than a little curious to learn if the same principles could allow one to experience being OTHER animals for a day as well ... that would certainly be a fascinating experience, if I knew it was Precisely Controlled, and 100% reversible)

=^.^'= ~