What Are Lycans

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Wolf Gal
Banned
Custom Title: Werewolf.... Howlllllll
Mood: Depressed

What Are Lycans

Post by Wolf Gal »

What r lycans?
Any1 suggests anything PM me... :)
Grrrrrr........ Dragons or werewolves i am so in..........
http://world7.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=113179143
go to this website to become a werewolf
Pet's name: Shana
Adopt your own!
http://new-moon-movie.net/forum
go to this if you like newmoon and twilight and all that stuff
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Re: What Are Lycans

Post by Gevaudan »

Why is this in the artwork thread? Are you drawing a Lycan?

EDIT: Ignore that. Thread moved.
Last edited by Gevaudan on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

"Lycans" are the werewolves from the Underworld series.

Anything else you'd like to know? :)
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Like the guy said; they are an invented term used in the Underwhirled movie series.
Lycos is Greek for Wolf. Therefore Lycans are Greeks...or something like that.

Lupus is Latin for Wolf. Thus Roman Werewolves Lupans; if we use the same name setup system.

And Lichens (pronounced Ly-kens) grow on trees and under rocks.

Nuff sed?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

1337: The Number of the Beast

Post by Scott Gardener »

What r lycans?
Any1 suggests anything PM me...
Are you posting this from a cell phone? If you've got a keyboard, don't be afraid to use real words! It's only a few extra seconds.

"Lycan" is a term recently coined for werewolves, taken from "lycanthrope." The term was popularized by the Underworld movie series, though it has also been heavily used afterwards in low-budget B-movies, such as Lycan Colony.

By the way, anyone remember way back in the early days of the Pack, back in 2004, when Figarou had 300 posts and I was just introducing myself? There was a movie in the works titled "Lycan Rising." The project ultimately fell apart, but the title seems to have survived somehow, since the new Underworld movie is "Rise of the Lycans."
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Berserker wrote:"Lycans" are the werewolves from the Underworld series.

Quoted for truth yo. :P

Lycans are a fictional race of werewolf-like creatures from the Underworld-movies.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
wolfward
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Therian and you'll never stop me.
Mood: Angry

Post by wolfward »

Actually, underworld got the name from the fact that it has been used for years before it even hit the movies, as underworld would explain, they are werewolves, just Lycan is the more proper term for them. Lycanthrope,being their full name comes from the Greek king "Lycan" who, legend has it,was turned into a wolf by a god he insulted. He became the first werewolf or"Lycan" and since then the name has lived on. I think that story originates from the 1st century...I'm not sure. Any way, hope that made it plain and simple.
Therian(The Animal Inside)
Why do people say they care?
And never ask of your despair?
Why do people say they know?
Then off the cliff and down they go.
Why do people think they're glad?
When deep down inside they're truely sad?
Why am I the only one who sees?
I guess that no one else believes. :(

by Me
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

wolfward wrote:

Actually, underworld got the name from the fact that it has been used for years before it even hit the movies, as underworld would explain, they are werewolves, just Lycan is the more proper term for them. Lycanthrope,being their full name comes from the Greek king "Lycan" who, legend has it,was turned into a wolf by a god he insulted. He became the first werewolf or"Lycan" and since then the name has lived on. I think that story originates from the 1st century...I'm not sure. Any way, hope that made it plain and simple.
Right, we all know this.

The word "lycanthrope" has been used for years.

But only Underworld used the term "Lycan" specifically to describe its werewolf race. As far as I know, no other author or source described werewolves as "lycans" prior to this film. Underworld and Underworld alone is responsible for people on the internet going around calling werewolves Lycans.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

lykos: ancient Greek (except using the closest modern letters available) for "wolf"

anthropos: ancient Greek for "man"

The two words run together, using ancient Greek concatenation methods, is lykanthropos.

"lycanthrope" is the term in English, from Renaissance days and up, when we English-speakers started using Greek words

"Lycan" then came about because of that movie, the one in which sexy black latex serves as the armor of choice when fighting giant werewolves...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Latex armor of +5 sexy is far better than normal armor that lacks sexy, even if it is still +5.
The real genius behind her catsuit is that the curves are design to foil radar, making her appear about the size of a raisin. Plus, they also serve to deflect lasers. It's sad that they had to cut the radar-using, laser-eyed werewolves from the movie, but the critics said that they stood no chance against her.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Khuwwa
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Khuwwa »

RedEye wrote:Like the guy said; they are an invented term used in the Underwhirled movie series.
Lycos is Greek for Wolf. Therefore Lycans are Greeks...or something like that.

Lupus is Latin for Wolf. Thus Roman Werewolves Lupans; if we use the same name setup system.

And Lichens (pronounced Ly-kens) grow on trees and under rocks.

Nuff sed?

Lichens :D
blackwolfhell
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Black Wolf Hell
Mood: RAR!

Post by blackwolfhell »

lycan can refer to the word lycanthrope which is either a werewolf or a person with a psycholigical problem thinking their a wolf. But lycan refers to any creature that shifts with the moon. It's kinda dtfferentiates depending on your countrys legends and orgins. Also of your nationality. But Lycan was applied when Underwold came out.
Release all that you hold dear, and become the night.
Werewolves don't get high on drugs, they run

Pet's name: Heyoka
Adopt your own!
Sheekaka
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Sheekaka_Sannin
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Sheekaka »

I personally think the term is far more descriptive than just the usual "werewolf."
Pets name: Avid
Adopt your own!
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Then there is "Lupan", a term I use in the novel as a descriptor for Werewolves. It uses the Latin Lupus as the base, rather than the Greek Lycos.

Among themselves, I am told the term is "George" or "Fred" or even "Alec". Lupan, Lycan, etc; are all Smoothskin names for them.
They simply call themselves by their own names... :lol: :P
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

lycan is name of human/werewolf hybrid in underworld movies

but i heard that Lycan is a Transylvanian based creature similar than WW but smarter,able to shift when you want,and is not afected by silver and more wolf like with man posture
silver1
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: guardian of wolves
Additional Details: When it hurts to look back,and your scared to look ahead you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.
Mood: Happy

Post by silver1 »

To be brutally honest with you,i think the term lycan is an insult to all of werewolf kind,just call them werewolves and be done with it. :roll:
If you talk to the animals,they will talk to you and you will know each other.If you do not talk to them,you will not know them and what you do not know you fear,and what one fears one destroys.

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend.

You say werewolf like its a bad thing.

http://cmrpg.net/turn.php?cid=131877&serv=1
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

silver1 wrote:To be brutally honest with you,i think the term lycan is an insult to all of werewolf kind,just call them werewolves and be done with it. :roll:
The Lycan is a Transylvanian based creature. The evidence is strongly supported, but it is nothing similar to a werewolf at all.

difrences betveen WW and lycan:

Lycans are more wolf based. They can shift appearance when they want, night or day. They represent more of a large walking wolf with a mans posture, and of course much more muscular than werewolves.

The Lycan is a Transylvanian based creature. The evidence is strongly supported, but it is nothing similar to a werewolf at all.

The Lycan is also much smarter than a typical werewolf.

Werewolves are of old English folklore. They started up in the Americas after the Spanish settled here. The werewolf transforms randomly on full moons only. They represent more of witchcraft and curse, unlike the Lycan; which is said to be Religious practice.

Werewolves resemble a man with a wolf-man like posture and a wolfs' attitude and appearance.

Lycans are also different in the way to kill them. To kill a Lycan, you must sever the spine from the body. It is ineffective to Silver substances.

Werewolves must be killed with a Silver object to the head or heart. This will only rid the curse of shape shifting, and bring the victim back to consciousness.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

lovec1990 wrote:
silver1 wrote:To be brutally honest with you,i think the term lycan is an insult to all of werewolf kind,just call them werewolves and be done with it. :roll:
difrences betveen WW and lycan:
Lycans are more wolf based. They can shift appearance when they want, night or day. They represent more of a large walking wolf with a mans posture, and of course much more muscular than werewolves.
The Lycan is also much smarter than a typical werewolf.
Werewolves are of old English folklore. They started up in the Americas after the Spanish settled here. The werewolf transforms randomly on full moons only. They represent more of witchcraft and curse, unlike the Lycan; which is said to be Religious practice.
Werewolves resemble a man with a wolf-man like posture and a wolfs' attitude and appearance.
Lycans are also different in the way to kill them. To kill a Lycan, you must sever the spine from the body. It is ineffective to Silver substances.
Werewolves must be killed with a Silver object to the head or heart. This will only rid the curse of shape shifting, and bring the victim back to consciousness.

Where the heck did all this come from?
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

historical books i have them plus im european i knew about lycans before movie
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

lovec1990 wrote:historical books i have them plus im european i knew about lycans before movie
I'm sorry, this stuff doesn't sound like it came from "historical books."

Werewolves were not referred to as "Lycans" until Underworld came out.

Werewolves are primarily an Indo-European myth and did not originate in Transylvania.

The idea that werewolves are vulnerable to silver comes from modern fiction and is not historical.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

lycans arent WWs that is known they are similar but not the same thing
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

lovec1990 wrote:lycans arent WWs that is known they are similar but not the same thing
So what book did you read that told you this?
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Berserker wrote:
lovec1990 wrote:lycans arent WWs that is known they are similar but not the same thing
do you think all historical books are in perfect condition some books are in poor condition do you know what i do for living?
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

lovec1990 wrote:
Berserker wrote:
do you think all historical books are in perfect condition some books are in poor condition do you know what i do for living?
*checks Lovec1990's profile* A mythologist. Unfortunately you've not been disclosing sources, which is something that honestly I'd expect a mythologist to do when when citing paraphrased excerpts from them, some of us might want to find these sources and read them in their entirety, or check the facts as the book tells it, or that they even exist. As a friend a while ago said to me, Nietzsche is a great source for quotes, but when you go read his stuff in full, you realize the guy was stark raving bonkers.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Meeper wrote:
lovec1990 wrote:
Berserker wrote:
*checks Lovec1990's profile* A mythologist. Unfortunately you've not been disclosing sources, which is something that honestly I'd expect a mythologist to do when when citing paraphrased excerpts from them, some of us might want to find these sources and read them in their entirety, or check the facts as the book tells it, or that they even exist. As a friend a while ago said to me, Nietzsche is a great source for quotes, but when you go read his stuff in full, you realize the guy was stark raving bonkers.

The Meeper.
you know i will not argue but lycans are real as are WWs