Weak points

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Weak points

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Now here's something different... weak points. No, I don't mean the dead horses people call silver and chocolate bars. I'm talking about the weakpoints of a werewolf's body, much like a human's.

Now, I'm aware that the gestalt variant of a werewolf pretty much has vitals much like ours on the body that can be exploited against - the groin, solar plexus, diaphragm, spleen, kidney, liver, throat, etc etc. In fact it'd help if you guys made a list of theoretical weak points for the body.

But it's the head I'm more curious about. Maybe there's still some parts that are still pretty human, like the base of the skull or the temple, but I don't know what the weak points of a wolf's head are. :/

Any ideas?
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Re: Weak points

Post by Gevaudan »

Well, the eyes for one. Goes without saying. Being hit on the muzzle or injuries to the ears would probably hurt the most due to sensitivity. I also think the tail would be prone because it's an extension of the base of the spine, a naturally sensitive area (I hate it when I sit down on seat-belt buckles).

It also depends on a person's vulnerability while shifting. If the shift is really painful, then any more injuries could be lasting, or just even more excruciating. However, if it's a fast or experienced shift, it might not hurt as much but it would still be painful, especially if the werewolf couldn't defend itself mid-shift.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Gevaudan wrote:It also depends on a person's vulnerability while shifting. If the shift is really painful, then any more injuries could be lasting, or just even more excruciating. However, if it's a fast or experienced shift, it might not hurt as much but it would still be painful, especially if the werewolf couldn't defend itself mid-shift.
For this occasion I'm referring to weak points a werewolf's head would have when it's already shifted, aside from eyes and ears.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Gevaudan wrote:I also think the tail would be prone because it's an extension of the base of the spine, a naturally sensitive area
It's also the one part of the body the werewolf will not have had before shifting. Just as it would be impossible to know what it feels like to shift until we've done it, none of us could ever know just what it feels like to have their tail stepped on or pulled on.

But going back to the head. . . Well, I'm not keen on the idea of a werewolf's skull being able to stop bullets and such, so I'd say the head in general would be a weak point. However, any openings in the skull will be a weak point no matter what it is -- the eyes, mouth and nose especially.

Something else we once touched upon while arguing where a werewolf's "extra mass" comes from was the possibility that a werewolf's bones don't grow or shrink, but elongate and become hallowed out more like that of a bird's bones (which won't do much to deter an animal's strength -- anyone that's ever seen (or been kicked by) an ostrich will tell you that). If that is the case, the werewolf's jaw/muzzle might be more susceptible to breaks than the rest of his skull on account of the elongation.

I know you only asked about the head, but the same thing I said about a werewolf's muzzle could also apply to a werewolf's ribs. If the werewolf does get taller and more broad-chested after shifting, it might be safe to assume that a werewolf's ribs are more susceptible to breaks and/or that there are wider gaps in between them.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Another "Weak Point" would be the Wulf's BODY while the shift is going on. Remember, there is a lot of re-mapping and re-shaping that happens at that time, and in almost every movie and a lot of books; the Wulf is down on the floor while the shift is going on.
That is both a Movement weakness and probably a weakness in the whole body, during Shift.

Then, too, why does a bullet have to bounce off the WWlf's heaf or anyplace else? My take is super rapid Healing; not bullet resistance. A load of shot or a 1oz. shotgun slug anywhere in the Wulf's body could kill by simply damaging said body past restoration before death happens.

Specific weak points? Same as human; but with less permanence as to the injury. Possibly, there would be weaknesses in the tail and genetalia, since in canids, said items are more exposed than in humans.
Forget choking though, since in canids, the neck is super strong. The musculature would protect the windpipe and blood vessels from strangulation in most cases, since it's a lot thicker than on a human and the said structures are set more deeply inside the Wulf's body.

In game-speak; Werewolf is =Human, but with +5 or 6 to save. They are rather tough creatures.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

It's a stretch considering the neck as part of the true head of a werewolf, but it's for answer's sake. I'm sure punching a werewolf in the throat would be just as bad as if it happened to a human. Unless there was a lot of fur covering its throat, wouldn't the air get shoved out of its lungs?

I'd imagine a "beep in the nose" like we do in the Pack chat wouldn't be so fun either, haha.
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

The head, depending on how werewolves handle the brain thing (ignore the sudden ...lack of space for a big brain via handwavium or roll with it and have the gestalt's skull somewhere between a human head and a wolf one) might have some interesting weak points or strong points. The curvature of the human skull is in one way a lot of it's strength. There are a number of folks who probably ended up surviving being shot in the head purely because the bullet followed the curve of the skull rather than impacting directly as it would have on flat bone.

Which means certain areas that feature curves would be stronger than the flatter portions of the skull, which would be a rather unfortunate place to catch a bullet/baseball/knife to.

Damage to the legs/paws of a gestalt would probably also yeild more dramatic results than those to a human leg/foot. A plantigrade foot is far more stable so it'd take a lot less damage to a digitgrade foot to disable that limb. It'd also probably be a lot harder to try and force yourself to walk on such a damaged limb since it's not as straight forward and column-like as a human limb with a straight leg and a flat foot.

And of course there is the tail, though I can't imagine anyone targeting it unless an opportunity presents itself or the tail is in someway significant (maintains the lycanthropic condition or such). But it is a limb of sorts so severing it would cause a good deal of pain and bleeding.
Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

Post by Leonca~ »

Many physical weaknesses have been mentioned, but how about sensory weaknesses? If a werewolf has enhanced senses that could end up being a weak spot. Really bright lights, loud noises, or strong unpleasant smells could prove incapacitating, at least temporarily.
I’ve even used that as a plot device for my characters. A small pack was trying to defend their turf from invasion by a larger pack, and since they were outnumbered they resorted to trickery. They lured the bigger group into an area where they could ambush them and bombed them with tear gas. Then they calmly came out of hiding wearing gas masks and finished the other guys off while they were rolling on the floor in agony. :lol: I figure if stuff like that is irritating to humans it might be even more so to werewolves, especially if they keep their enhanced senses in human form like mine do.
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Leonca makes a good point; those heightened senses could easily become liabilities. I don't know if the same stuff that works on us would work on werewolves; a canine's sense of smell doesn't really register odors as being just simply "bad" like ours does, Still, anyone that knows their zoology might be able to come up with something that is only mildly offensive to our senses but absolutely burns a canine's.

Sound might be a more effective and more readily exploitable weapon, however, taking into account how much more sensitive a wolf's hearing can be.

Remember the sound the Incubus makes in the first Silent Hill game? Imagine if someone played that at full volume. :shudder: Or the "most annoying sound in the world" from Dumb & Dumber -- that would do it too.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

For the nasal based defense, I suspect the same stuff that is used IRL as a "Keep Off" spray for furniture would keep a Werewolf from sitting in your lap or humping your leg. It is mild to us, but very annoying to creatures with better smell senses than we have.
As a Space-Making system, Hydrogen Sulfide gas would work very well; since the "Rotten Egg" odor is super strong and the stuff turns to Sulphuric Acid when it contacts water (like inside the nose). Tear Gas would work as an even more powerful repellant.

Sonically, any sound above human hearing would still be audible to the Wulf; so something really nasty could be played at a fairly high volume and the Humans wouldn't really hear anything. Think "Nails on a blackboard" as an example, at 100 db pressure. Humans wouldn't hear it, but the Wulf woulf be extremly repelled by the sound it heard. Add in that high-frequency sounds are very directional, and you get a "Sound Gun" that could be pointed in a given direction and only affect those in front of the weapon's muzzle; rather than everyone in the room or space.

Photon weapons anyone? Bright strobed light in the Wulf's eyes would have the same effect as on a human, namely disorentation and nausea. Since the Wulf/Gestalt is more light sensitive than humans (as a rule) the effects might be even more profound than in human responses to the same thing.

Then there's electricity. My Lupans in the Wulfen Universe are more sensitive to shocking than humans are. Why? To do what a WW does, the nerves would have to be more sensitive than in their Human baseform. Thus, a Taser could well Kill, rather than stun; and a Stun-Gun would be equally hurtful to the WW, since that's concentrated in a very small space.

It would seem that Werewolves are not as tough as they make themselves out to be...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:Then there's electricity. My Lupans in the Wulfen Universe are more sensitive to shocking than humans are. Why? To do what a WW does, the nerves would have to be more sensitive than in their Human baseform. Thus, a Taser could well Kill, rather than stun; and a Stun-Gun would be equally hurtful to the WW, since that's concentrated in a very small space.
It could also be that, since werewolves are shapeshifters, their bodies could be more fluid than that of a normal human being. What might just leave a human's fingers singed might conduct all the way up the werewolf's arm and into his heart and/or brain.

Just a thought.
blackwolfhell
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Black Wolf Hell
Mood: RAR!

Post by blackwolfhell »

Watch out when you hit the ears, then that pisses them off even more. One other place. The inside part of the knee. Its a little hard to hit, but the muscles there are weaker than humans. It's one of those wolf traits. Just watch out about those ears.
Release all that you hold dear, and become the night.
Werewolves don't get high on drugs, they run

Pet's name: Heyoka
Adopt your own!