A Werewolves Hands and Claws

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Re: A Werewolves Hands and Claws

Post by Wingman »

How I would use my werewolf claws depends on several factors, such as how sharp they are, and how flexible and quick I am, and what the delay on my regeneration is. If they're not sharp or long enough to inflict substantial wounds, then I'd prefer a knife, club, or other weapon. If it also takes me half a day or longer to heal minor cuts and bruises, then I'm going to instead favor weapons and tactics that will reduce the likelihood of me being injured.

In fact, I'd make a horrible movie werewolf, as I'd spend half the time hiding, and the other half of the time lurking around unseen. I'd probably carry a crossbow too, rather than risk my neck engaging in fisticuffs.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Werewolfdragon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Werewolf Lives

Post by Werewolfdragon »

Aki wrote:Because a werewolf probably has honest-to-god claws, made for ripping flesh into itty bitty red strips, I doubt that would be much a problem. While human nails are made of keratin and thus not very strong, as is plainly visible on a skeleton, wolves' claws are made of bone. While wolves do not use their claws, these reason is twofold:
- Lupine limbs do not work that way. A wolf's legs are not flexible enough to lift and paw-swipe like a cat. This is because they endurance hunt and such capability isn't necessary. When the time to strike comes, they dogpile the prey and drag it down with the weight of their bodies rather than simply catching up to it and batting it over or ambushing it and then batting it in the face with claws.
- Wolf and dog claws are dull. This is because they're constantly walked upon. This is no problem for a werewolf - his claws are new every time he shifts. They'd be sharp enough to make most cats envious.

So, all this on mind, I'd slash with my claws. Because they can work for that, because they're claws and not nails and while not designed for offensive use, they're still claws.

They're only good for defense against another werewolf, against prey animals like deer (knocking away dangerous hooves or the like), or if for some reason you get some incredibly foolish or Bad a** human who decides he wants to try and punch you out. A human with a weapon isn't likely going to care about your defensive posture. You aren't going to be able to parry or block those attacks well (or at all, in case of a firearm equipped hunter). The only real option is to try and evade damage (Staying out of reach, namely) entirely and strike fast and hard when you get an opening.

TL;DR: Claws are not nails, claws kill things, and claws are weapons and thus poor defensively (humanity invented shields for a reason - weapons make poor protection!)
Very well said! I like that explaination alot... you covered all points and I can't argue with you anywhere... Ok so how is it that they, a werewolves claws, can slice as shown through things like a knife? Only the points are sharp. In order to do this wouldn't the entire length of each claw requirer having an edge like a knife? If they are shaped at all in the manner of a cats claws, those of witch I have been scratched by and while very painful i can't see them doing any form of cutting, this would only be good for pokeing, and scratching, so what is it that makes this cutting. Is it the force of witch they are used? or is it more of a ripping that accure's?
Werewolfdragon
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Werewolfdragon »

Wingman wrote:How I would use my werewolf claws depends on several factors, such as how sharp they are, and how flexible and quick I am, and what the delay on my regeneration is. If they're not sharp or long enough to inflict substantial wounds, then I'd prefer a knife, club, or other weapon. If it also takes me half a day or longer to heal minor cuts and bruises, then I'm going to instead favor weapons and tactics that will reduce the likelihood of me being injured.

In fact, I'd make a horrible movie werewolf, as I'd spend half the time hiding, and the other half of the time lurking around unseen. I'd probably carry a crossbow too, rather than risk my neck engaging in fisticuffs.
Off topic:
LMAO! I can tell you really are a true game master LOL! However I can compleatly understand I wouldn't wish to come to blows either if it could be helped LOL...
Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

Post by Leonca~ »

Ok so how is it that they, a werewolves claws, can slice as shown through things like a knife? Only the points are sharp. In order to do this wouldn't the entire length of each claw requirer having an edge like a knife?
Movie physics/“rule of cool” wins out over realism nine times out of ten when most people are designing monsters. Werewolves in movies are usually portrayed as scary monsters, hence they can do things such as slice their way through metal. :P
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com
Werewolfdragon
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Werewolfdragon »

Well in any case, I still beleave that it would make really great werewolves, if they where to be made on a more realistic scale. So I beleave I have said all their is to say on this topic my self. So i will leave this topic to everyone elts, Remember Explore, Enjoy and ubove all always have fun, Bye all.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Werewolfdragon wrote:
Very well said! I like that explaination alot... you covered all points and I can't argue with you anywhere... Ok so how is it that they, a werewolves claws, can slice as shown through things like a knife? Only the points are sharp. In order to do this wouldn't the entire length of each claw requirer having an edge like a knife? ?
Perhaps ripping would have been the better term. I don't think anything save perhaps talons have sharp edges like a blade - both felines and canines alike seem to settle for having a pointed tip to their claw and that being good enough.

So:

1. Force points in,
2. Use strength to rip open flesh
3. ?
4. PROFIT!

(Bonus points to anyone who recognizes that aging meme)
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

Aki wrote:1. Force points in,
3. ?
4. PROFIT!

Shouldn't there be three question marks? :D
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Gevaudan wrote:
Aki wrote:1. Force points in,
3. ?
4. PROFIT!

Shouldn't there be three question marks? :D
There should, but two question marks turns into this: ??

So if I do three it turns into this: ???

See the problem? :lol:
AriesWolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by AriesWolf »

I personally believe a werewolf would use its hands and claws as its weapons of choice, because anything that has hands would use them. Plus, since I assume we're talking about the gestalt form here, they would still have the human capacity for reason and logic. i.e., "Hmmm, claws. I bet I could really slice someone up with these." Just my opinion.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

fighting as werewolf:

if fighting too kill: i think with werewolfs strenght i would just punch the guy in precordial region like kung fu masters at breaking bricks and that should couse Commotio cordis, besides slashing could also be used, but is too messy in my opinion. more specific fighting tactic i would use would depend on werewolf design.

Not to kill: i would just overpower and disarm and then grab human and throw him into something, but without full force just enough too knock him out.

i would use my strenght,speed and agility as primary weapon, claws would be secondary weapon, but bitting would be out of the question for me becouse animals do it and thats not me.
Teena singh
Custom Title: Coyote

Post by Teena singh »

Werewolf are creature of the earth.. I know they are real,, they have been created for good reasons... They are good and bad too... May be they are to save the people.. Or to take the peoples life as well...