What to do with a human who knows too much?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Oh no, a human has just seen you shift! What would you do?

Kill him
8%
Bite him so that if he tells anyone he will be putting himself in danger too
26%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
7%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
3%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
25%
Report the incident to your pack’s leaders and let them decide what to do
15%
Do nothing and hope that he will assume no one would believe him
8%
Other
8%

Total votes: 61

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: What to do with a human who knows too much?

Post by Terastas »

ABrownrigg wrote:So yeah, I'd go backwards up the list, and find something that worked.
*blink-blinks* *goes up the list*

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. Funny how it just sort of got arranged like that, huh?

It's not perfect, but you could arrange that as a sort of step-by-step how-to list. If I had one, it'd probably look like this.
1: Report to your immediate packmates or a designated familiar. Determine as a group whether or not the target should be handled as a group or if ties with the exposed werewolf should be temporarily cut until further notice.

2: Silently observe the target, in person and/or electronically. Abandon the target if it does not demonstrate any warning signs.

If target demonstrates intent to prove existence of werewolves, move to Step 3. If target demonstrates intent to hurt pack interests, move to Step 4. If target demonstrates intent to kill werewolves, move to Step 7.

3: Use whatever information was gathered during the observation period to screw with any attempts to discover or prove existence of werewolves. Attempt to discredit or convince the target that werewolves do not exist. Employ human familiars as needed.

4: Upgrade mind-games to include intimidation.

If target backs down off of intent to reveal but still maintains belief, move to Step 5. If target continues with intent to reveal, move to Step 7.

5: If target backs down after discredit or intimidation but retains belief in existence, offer a truce via a familiar.

If truce is accepted, move to Step 6. If denied, move to Step 7.

6: Arrange a meeting with pack volunteers to discuss the nature of the pack. Apologize for the way target was treated but stress the necessity of it. Offer employment as a familiar if required.

(NOTE: What ensures the silence of a lot of the familiars in my writing is the fact that the werewolves are effectively employing them. They aren't literally payed a salary, but one way or another, they are all very much dependent on the pack for stability. One of my protagonists works as a photographer, for example, but his packmates are the only ones that ever buy his ho-hum framed photographs, so even though they aren't literally paying him, he needs them).

7: Abduct target and take it to a designated location. If abduction is not possible, skip to Step 9.

8: Infect target and offer final compromise. If accepted, assign target as an omega to the exposed werewolf, or if exposed is deemed unqualified, a designated "tamer" to ensure compliance with the final compromise (in other words, keep a short leash on the target until deemed trustworthy).

9: Kill and dispose of target before the next full moon.
Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

Post by Leonca~ »

I have but one thing to suggest here:

Tranquilizer darts loaded with LSD.
:lol:
Reminds me of something I sometimes see in stories about aliens, where a person who is abducted and returned is left drunk or at least smelling like alcohol so that no one would believe him.
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Kodos: "I'm afraid we'll have to dispose of you..." *pushes button*
*Strange liquid sprays over Homer Simpson*

Homer: "What are you spraying me with?"

Kang: "Rum. So no one will believe your story. Hahahahahahaha..."
*Kicks Homer out of porthole of spacecraft*

(Simpsons, episode 4F02 "Treehouse of Horror VII")
:D
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Leonca~ wrote:
I have but one thing to suggest here:

Tranquilizer darts loaded with LSD.
:lol:
Reminds me of something I sometimes see in stories about aliens, where a person who is abducted and returned is left drunk or at least smelling like alcohol so that no one would believe him.
Heh. Hey, don't rag it if it works. :wink:

I gotta' say though that alcohol would probably be easier than LSD, if only for the fact that its legal. It's more common for the police etc. to find someone drunk in public than someone tripping. Also, if the werewolves used LSD or some other illegal substance, that could land them in trouble with the law and charged with possession and/or distribution. Alcohol they could keep in large amounts in plain sight just as long as there aren't any children around.
Shadowsong
Custom Title: Performer to the Night

Post by Shadowsong »

If a human knew saw the shift, only part of it at least, the best thing to do is to probably just run away and leave them wondering what they saw. No one will believe them most likely.

But if they saw enough to fully identify the werewolf's human form or they recorded it on video, the thing I would do is chase them down and knock them out with a blow to the head. Then take the camera or any other evidence and destroy it. Just hope that when they come to, their memory will be fuzzy or they'll be frightened and confused to the point that they wouldn't make sense.

Now, if they've become absolutely certain that you are a werewolf after picking up subtle clues over a long period of time; just cross your fingers and hope they don't squeal.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Post by Black Claw »

If they were my friends, i would prove to them that i will not harm them and protect them when in danger. Now if it was someone i didn't like, that's a different story. I would probably scare them and make sure that they would not tell anyone.
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
Grey
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Grey »

We are Wolves, not Killers.

When that day comes that we show ourselves to the human race as a whole, we want them to welcome us with open arms, not open fire.
Life's too short to be sad. So go roll around in the grass.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

ImageImageImageImage
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

You make a good point, vrikasatma. It not only 'messes with their heads' but gives the local Wulf population a chance to evaluate this potential threat.

Lure him into the woods and watch what happens. Maybe, he/she will just put it down to funny lighting and imagination. That gets rid of the curiosity seekers and the "Reality TV" crews.
Suppose, though, that this person comes back to where the first contact happened and waits to see who's out there. Again, watching them (maybe letting them know they're being watched) will tell you whether they are a threat or potential ally.
A threat will try setting traps, cameras, or maybe carry a larger than necessary gun (only n00bs enter that sort of forest without some sort of protection; there be things with teeth that see humans as an aperitif out there).
A potential ally will just wait. Maybe they will leave something other than food as a contact helper. Maybe they will simply state their curiosity out loud, to see if there is something that understands them.
Maybe too: They are already accepted by another Pack elsewhere, and have had to move for work or other reasons.
Messing with their heads is a start. The ball is then in their court. What they do with it can determine the outcome.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

ImageImageImageImage
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

vrikasatma wrote:Talk and try to reason with them: No. You screwed up, don't compound the error and complicate things by making contact and identifying yourself. You might be able to talk them out of going to the cops (or the media) but there's at least even odds that they'll lie through their teeth and out you — and by extension, all Werewolfdom — anyway. For the money, for the lulz, or simply because they now have power and want to stick it to a lot of people, whatever. DO NOT make contact if you can possibly help it!!
I don't remember the option actually MEANING all that you said, especially the "oh sorry, here's my wolf license and registration" part. Ever heard of being vague?

EDIT: You've also confused me with wolves having no pride. There *is* such a thing as humans not bothering to know what pride is, so what do you think a werewolf is? An animal, a human, or both? And if a werewolf does attack a human because he/she was sighted, wouldn't panic also come into play? Apart from lying, misjudgment is also another weakness for any organism with a brain and a personality. I'm sorry, I'm not a wolfologist like you, but i'm feeling holes in your opinion. Plus you're saying it like as if it's already set in stone when it's about a yet-to-be-non-fictional creature, so that kinda irritates me a lot.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

The Vrika look at humans in a bar on a Saturday night, their jaws go slack with absolute bewilderment, and shake their heads.
Are your werewolves endowed with some mythical nobilty from beyond? I find it a little odd. I assume "Vrika" are your idea of werewolves. Yet, you said that if a werewolf goes off the deep end its the human part of it. Your confusing me I am afraid. On one hand you make out that your werewolves seem above petty bar things yet on the other you seem to imply that a werewolf is acting off human instinct.
The wilds are my friend and I know them better than most humans do, and would. Humans don't do well in the wilds if they're not prepared, and even if they are prepared it's a dicey proposition.
This hinges on the idea that A. The forest is deep enough to get lost in. In countries like England where a lot of the land has been claimed by people, forests are small and are not as awful to get lost in then a massive forest in Alaska. B. The fact that seeing a real werewolf clearly several times would fade from his mind. If its a strong image then it will stick. C. The person is not used to forests. D. The person wont just call it a day and come back later with new finds. E. That they wont take some pictures which they may do. Phone cameras are getting better and digital ones are too. It would be easy to get a shot if you stood for a moment to lure him.
Good. He's bad news, we were hunting him and he got away, feel free to ventilate him!"
I am not sure but I think you mean hunt him to kill/disable. This idea could be very dangerous because a disspearance would spark much concern in some areas and may make forests VERY unsafe. Foresnic teams, aircraft, all could come into play. On top of that, if he is armed, he could kill a werewolf. Though it would be easy to bury, its still going to hurt to lose a member which could ALSO spark a manhunt. If it was a lone wolf then that old person may just drag the were back and show the police and the thin viel of werewolves is gone.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Silent Hunter wrote:Are your werewolves endowed with some mythical nobilty from beyond?
Uhm yeah, actually, they are.
Their progenitor (as well as all 25 bloodlines of the Pashunara) was changed from a normal wolf into a Wolf-shifter by Shiva. And along with the other bloodlines of the Pashunara race was charged with protecting sacred territory, so yeah. There's a bit of nobility to them.

Without quoting the rest of your point, the reason the Vrika would look at a bar full of humans on a Saturday night and shake their heads isn't because they have a moral objection to getting drunk. Pashunara like to hit the bottle every now and again and some of the bloodlines — the Monkeys, for example — do it regularly. They just think the humans are stupid for attacking each other with guns and knives.
I assume you're in the UK, since you mentioned England's forests. Probably not a lot of that happening there but it happens here in the States fairly often.
This hinges on the idea that A. The forest is deep enough to get lost in. In countries like England where a lot of the land has been claimed by people, forests are small and are not as awful to get lost in then a massive forest in Alaska.
Or California. Or Siberia. Or Canada. Or Tibet. Or Colorado. Or Norway.
B. The fact that seeing a real werewolf clearly several times would fade from his mind. If its a strong image then it will stick.
Point taken.
C. The person is not used to forests.
A lot of people aren't, especially urbanites. Remember that chap from C|NET that got lost in southwest Oregon and died while walking out to civilization when his car got stuck? Southwest Oregon is fairly rugged but he was only twenty miles from a town.
Anyway, you don't have to be hundreds of miles from the nearest habitation to get in deep kimchi in the forest, you can do it within eyeshot of a ranger station if you don't know what you're doing.
D. The person wont just call it a day and come back later with new finds.
Did you mean "friends?"

And meanwhile, sneak back and cover tracks. This comes under "mess with their head."
E. That they wont take some pictures which they may do. Phone cameras are getting better and digital ones are too.
One word, "Photoshop."
ImageImageImageImage
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

vrikasatma wrote:Go to the alpha: And what, pray tell, is keeping the alpha from killing you for screwing up and betraying us all?
What happens if you don't and they find out anyway? Then you're really screwed.

Though I don't think either case would result in the exposed werewolf's death, as killing off the members of your own pack isn't exactly a very sound survival strategy. The pack may distance themselves from the exposed werewolf to make sure they aren't fingered as potential packmates to the exposed werewolf, but the pack would have an absolute interest in the well-being (or at least the anonymity) of all werewolves. The discovery of one werewolf, after all, opens up the possibility that there could be more, so it's in every werewolf's best interest to ensure that every werewolf remains anonymous. Killing a werewolf for any reason does not accomplish that.
Grey wrote:We are Wolves, not Killers.

When that day comes that we show ourselves to the human race as a whole, we want them to welcome us with open arms, not open fire.
That's assuming that day will ever come.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

real life werewolf
Custom Title: a werewolf

Post by real life werewolf »

i would bite him, the condition probably comes with a healthy survival instinct so there's no reason why he would turn himself in just to get at you :wink:
the important thing is to HOWL, remember that.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Trashdog
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Trashdog »

So I, in my apparent unending desire for pariah-hood, am the sole voter for "kill him".

Dicey? Sure! But generally when threatened animals (and humans are animals too, remember) take one of two options: fight or flight.

I picked fight because I think that is how I would react (were I a werewolf who got spotted). Evidence would have to be done away with - eating it seems the obvious choice to me, and my view of werewolves. Ethically reprehensible? To some. But as a werewolf, I am not human. I currently consume pork and pigs are pretty damn smart. People around the world eat all sorts of animals - dogs have been proven capable of the process of elimination. And of course, humans are no strangers to cannibalism.

So there's my answer. I'd kill him, eat him, and clean up whatever I couldn't finish. I might tell my pack leader if I have one. I would likely tell my best bud if he too is a werewolf. Would I beat myself up over it? Yeah, probably I would. Well, unless I liked the way he tasted... :wink:
Trashdog

avatar thanks to http://www.andreirobu.com
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

No, no; you aren't a pariah. She's somebody else. What you are is a Hollywood middle-budget Genre Werewolf.
:P
That's worse... :lol:
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Trashdog wrote: So there's my answer. I'd kill him, eat him, and clean up whatever I couldn't finish. I might tell my pack leader if I have one. I would likely tell my best bud if he too is a werewolf. Would I beat myself up over it? Yeah, probably I would. Well, unless I liked the way he tasted... :wink:
Have you considered how difficult it would be to consume even half of the average human? That's going to be around 50 pounds of peoplemeat for half a person(I'm totally guessing here, but it seems like a nice number), along with various crunchy bones. Even if your werewolf has a prodigious appetite, and substantial bone-gnawing abilities, that's going to be quite a task for something still within the realm of human-sized. Unless they are part snake and can dislocate their jaws to swallow their prey whole, in which case you'll have a very rotund werewolf who'll likely be sleeping it off for the next few days or weeks, or be reduced to waddling around like a pregnant walrus, or getting the pack to push him around in a wheelbarrow.
Unless, of course, your werewolves have some sort of superfast metabolism that can break down meat and bone at a vastly faster rate than anything I've ever heard of.

In all likelihood, eating enough of someone for there to be only scraps remaining would take several days, and be a very messy procedure. Unless you've got a prepared room, or some rolls of Dexter-brand plastic wrap handy, that's going to leave all sorts of evidence lying around. Having a missing person is bad enough, but a missing person and a room that looks like said person was torn apart in it is even worse, and absolutely guaranteed to call all sorts of authoritah down on your head if it is found. If your werewolf is the type of person who's capable of doing that and methodically cleaning up after himself, chances are that he's already going to have his eye on some people he files under 'good eating'...you know, for an emergency. That's only a hop, skip, and a crunch away from him deciding to pick out some fat accountant to drag into the basement to save a trip to the grocery store.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

WOW,i suggested eating them as well and it got turned into me condoning murder,or being a murderer.Trashdog only got a hop,skip and a crunch from being that,NOT fair.hehehehe :P :lol:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Wingman beat me to it. Even if a werewolf were capable of gnawing and digesting bone, that's still on average going to be 150 lbs. of mass you're going to have to make disappear. Even cartoon physics can't explain how that would work.

See, that's the problem with the so-called "easy way" of doing things: the bodies (or in your case, the missing person reports) would eventually begin to pile up. That will eventually have the FBI combing through your territory.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Vampires are creatures of deceit.

Werewolves are misunderstood and sensitive creatures.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Grey
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Grey »

The last thing were wolves need is more negative publicity.

Were wolves live by the rule of descretion. And Codes of Honor that must never be broken.
Life's too short to be sad. So go roll around in the grass.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

IndianaJones wrote:Vampires are creatures of deceit.

Werewolves are misunderstood and sensitive creatures.
Grey wrote: The last thing were wolves need is more negative publicity.

Were wolves live by the rule of descretion. And Codes of Honor that must never be broken.

Ugh lets not gloss things over...werewolves are not somehow morally better than regular people. Most folks don't live by some pie-in-the-sky "code of honor," nor are they misunderstood and sensitive; werewolves, like anyone else, would be more than capable of acting out violently, even killing people to protect their survival.

Add in a wolf's instinct, and well... lets face it. Wolves are dangerous predators. I think we tend to make them a little bit more noble than they actually are. They're not bloodthirsty killers, but they are certainly not safe by any means, not unless you tame them (and even then, you'd better be careful.) A werewolf, as in one of my stories, might get an instinctively mixed signal in their head that tells them, "this person is food," especially in a survival situation. Morality becomes an illusion at that point; yeah, they might feel remorse after the fact of killing somebody, but they see the world through a different set of lenses than you or I.