What to do with a human who knows too much?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Oh no, a human has just seen you shift! What would you do?

Kill him
8%
Bite him so that if he tells anyone he will be putting himself in danger too
26%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
7%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
3%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
25%
Report the incident to your pack’s leaders and let them decide what to do
15%
Do nothing and hope that he will assume no one would believe him
8%
Other
8%

Total votes: 61

Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

What to do with a human who knows too much?

Post by Leonca~ »

A thought that just occurred to me last night that might offer some fun discussion. :)
I think if I was out in the woods or something and accidentally let a human see me I would panic and run away. :lol: I’m not too good at making quick decisions, so I would probably learn who the human is and then go to another member of my pack (assuming I belonged to one) and get their advice. I would probably go along with whatever the alpha instructed me to do, with the exception of killing. Don’t think I could ever do that.
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Re: What to do with a human who knows too much?

Post by RedEye »

I picked "Other" simply because there is no sensible single response to a Human's realization that some legends are in fact, real.
In my novels, there is an organization called the "Kindred" which is made up of people who know that Werewolves exist and are willing to help them in their need to remain hidden.
These human "Kin" gain protection, support, and in the case of certain illnesses can be "Crossed" into the Fuzzy side of life when there is no other cure available.
The Wulf "Kin" gain safe-houses, non-Wulf friends, and people who will actively discourage discussion or investigation of the "Werewolf" phenomenon, should somebody be seen when fuzzy.
The Wulfen also have "Servants" (Priests, Healers, and such) who can make an encounter seem "Unreal and Dreamlike" by managing the memories of someone who has seen someone they shouldn't.
Like any sub-set society, both groups gain from this alliance.
Note: My Wulfen are not the usual movie Werewolves. They are simply people who can do one thing that others can't, and have to hide themselves as a result. While they can be violent if necessary, they are no more naturally violent than their "cousins"; the real wolves.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
heartlessfang
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: I'm a manga artist/comic artist/writer. I've taken martial arts for about 11 years. Never played any of the Werewolf card games.
Mood: RAR!

Post by heartlessfang »

It all depends on the intent of the human with the information. I'd let them know that I know that they're onto me, and try to figure out the person's intent by talking to them and observing them. But killing them right off the bat if definitely out. :P

In a sense arent all of us in the category of knowing too much, that is, if they were real? I wouldn't want to be killed regardless of my intent if I found out.

well for the record, I chose other.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

To me, the problem isn't the human who knows too much... it's the human who knows too little!

I wouldn't want someone to think they had seen a monster, or to think they were going insane, or to ruin their own lives by going around blabbing to people about something crazy. In this case, ignorance is not bliss.

Regardless of the danger, I think I would have to make every effort to educate this person.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I voted "mess with their heads," but I think "get inside their heads" would have been more accurate because, as Heartless and RedEye already said, different people will respond in different ways. A werewolf would need to know exactly how much that person knows, if and how they have filled in any of the blanks that they do not know, and what they plan to do about it if anything at all.

Like RedEye, the werewolves in my writing have uninfected human associates they can turn to as well. They call them "familiars" instead of kindred (because werewolves watch movies too), but they'll typically refer to werewolves and familiars alike simply as "packmates" or "family" to intentionally blur the line between human and werewolf. One of the two main characters is a reformed hunter, and the fact that he can never tell the familiars from the werewolves unless they tell him directly makes him feel less threatened and more socially awkward.

Which is pretty much the effect the pack was shooting for; they're smart enough to assume that if they told him directly they were just people like everyone else, he wouldn't believe them, so they let him observe and figure it out for himself.

The common response to catching a glimpse of a werewolf is actually to either assume they were just seeing things and file it in away in their memory with all the times they thought they saw a ghost or a UFO, or to assume nobody would ever believe them and keep it to themselves, so the pack is not hyper-paranoid when it comes to people seeing them. It would therefore either take some effort on the human's part, or a major blunder on a werewolf's part, for someone to ever "know too much." How they would respond would depend on how they wound up in their predicament to begin with.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I voted for the "bite them, and make it their problem, too." It's really the safest approach, unless the other person isn't somebody you'd want to have becoming a werewolf...

Still, it's fun to think of ways to "mess with their heads."
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Probably the sliding scale of "oh, damn, we've been found."

Depends. How much of "too much" does he or she know? Smaller amounts of knowledge are easy to dismiss... too much and you'll have to ensure their silence or come out about it. Silence is probably easiest to convert them or convince them to be quiet... but This strikes me as highly situation dependent.
Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

Post by Leonca~ »

I like the idea of the kindred/familiars. If you are trying to hide your existence from the majority of society a small group like that would be useful as allies.
So far I have been all over the place with this in my own character’s universe. In the past it was culturally acceptable for them to use the “bite them or kill them” rule, but that is no longer upheld so they have had to get more creative.
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Leonca~ wrote:I like the idea of the kindred/familiars. If you are trying to hide your existence from the majority of society a small group like that would be useful as allies.
*nods* The best part of having uninfected humans in the pack is that they can say 100% truthfully that they are not werewolves. Whatever a crazy person tells them (or the cops) will prove that he is absolutely a werewolf, he can play along with and prove the crazy person wrong right in front of him.

Wouldn't necessarily guarantee their silence, but it would at the very least take them off of "Chicken Little" mode. It would raise a million questions that they couldn't answer, which could pique their curiosity and encourage them to try and learn more, but more likely would force them to second-guess themselves.

This, of course, would only work with humans that accidentally discovered the existence of werewolves. People that knew about werewolves before they knew about the local pack would require a different approach, and again, that would depend on what they know and how they came to know it.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

In Wulfen Blood, the "Kindred" are both invitational (seen too much or something like it) and generational (Families of friends and protectors).

Remember, that while the Wulf has to hide, they still can protect their Smoothskin friends; and vicea-versa.

Think the Masons or other similar organizations.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

A human saw me shift?

I let them run off. Who the hell's going to listen to them? Furthermore, even if they got video they'd not be listened to - photo shop and all that make video a dodgy means of claiming truth since it's fairly easy to edit in stuff.

I avoid the spot where I was caught for a while and keep an extra watch on suspicious activity for a month or so in case the person happened to be a real loon or knew some loony friends and decided to start monster hunting. A healthy little bit of paranoia, heh.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Aki wrote:A human saw me shift?

I let them run off. Who the hell's going to listen to them? Furthermore, even if they got video they'd not be listened to - photo shop and all that make video a dodgy means of claiming truth since it's fairly easy to edit in stuff.
*nods* As an extra precaution, you could wear a wristwatch whenever in in wulf form. That's what screwed up the last bigfoot sighting, right? :wink:
WolfeGuardian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Guardian
Additional Details: Guardian the moon pale wolf with golden flaming eyes never to be tamed,
Mood: RAR!
Location: The Dark comforting forests that welcome my presence...

Post by WolfeGuardian »

If a human saw me shift my first reaction would be to strike but like others stated who would believe him anyways for the longest time no one but most have truly believed, even so i would report to my alpha and ask for guidance on the situation
“Doubt that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.”

Shingmanituu
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Ever wild,never free
Mood: Happy

Post by Shingmanituu »

Modern society is so dissmised in the ways of the supernatural.That its likely anyone reporting a werewolf sighting would be deemed nuts for feeling so.Not to many would believe the legend is real in this senerio. Even so, they would have no real ''sane'' way to approach it to anyone. It would most likely be a 'rumor' and precieved as an intoxicated hallucination,rather than a reality.
Pet's name: Ashe
Adopt your own!Sometimes the wolves are silent,and the moon is howling.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

ok, well is this question for when you shift back into human form or can it be applied to the beast.you can do any of these things while in human form,but could you do them after the beast has emerged.after all after it has emerged you are preditor and when faced with threat you may do what any wild animal would do,attack.why not just eat them,unless thier chinese,then you'll just be hungry an hour later and whats the point.(thats not racial)its a joke on chinese food.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Shingmanituu wrote:Modern society is so dissmised in the ways of the supernatural.That its likely anyone reporting a werewolf sighting would be deemed nuts for feeling so.Not to many would believe the legend is real in this senerio. Even so, they would have no real ''sane'' way to approach it to anyone. It would most likely be a 'rumor' and precieved as an intoxicated hallucination,rather than a reality.
More like the majority of society, though there is very much a subgroup within society that eats, sleeps and breathes the supernatural (there wouldn't be any money in faking a UFO or bigfoot sighting if there weren't). Look what happened to Burkittsville after The Blair Witch Project came out.

The thing is that even if only 1% of Americans are hyper-paranoid and/or will believe everything and anything you tell them, that 1% still equals about three million people. They may be small compared to the rest of the country, but they still outnumber the werewolves by a wide margin.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Sevena wrote:ok, well is this question for when you shift back into human form or can it be applied to the beast.you can do any of these things while in human form,but could you do them after the beast has emerged.after all after it has emerged you are preditor and when faced with threat you may do what any wild animal would do,attack.why not just eat them,unless thier chinese,then you'll just be hungry an hour later and whats the point.(thats not racial)its a joke on chinese food.
Um, because you're still part human and still sentient. Killing and eating another sentient is a pretty monstrous thing to do. Murder isn't something that should be undertaken lightly. Not to mention it's hard for the police to dismiss anything when hikers come across a half-eaten corpse who's bones are scored with lupine teeth despite the region not having had wolves for at least a century or such.

It's a poor idea, both ethically and in terms of effectiveness.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

dont get me wrong, i dont think murder is something to be taken lightly, but you assume that the human part of the beast can still have some control,i assume the beast has control.that was my point.once changed is the beast controlable,if not , it makes no difference how we view such things as murder.to the animal it is not considered murder.when something like this is to arrise the human part may be able to debate with the beast as to what action is best, that does not mean the more rational human side will win.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

But the problem with that is that losing control their "animal" side and killing someone is one of the worst possible things they can do. As it has been mentioned, killing someone in a place with no wolves in a brutal manner is going to alert some at best and set of a small panic at worst, even more so if these attacks continue. Therefore it is logical for a werewolf to make sure that this cannot happen as it can cause a serious risk of cover being blown.

Oh and for the question? It depends, if the person had one lone sighting or I bumped into the guy so to speak, I'd just run as fast as I can. At best I will knock him out and make sure he cannot use any video or photographic evidence against me. If I can use my paws to do this; simply deleting the photo's and putting the camera, phone, camcorder etc back where it was would be good enough. Who is going to beleive someone if they don't even have a simple photo? Besides even photo's are not instant proof as many cases have shown.

Though to be safe, laying low for a while is also a good idea it does not happen several times and a a pattern is not formed.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

i totally understand the views on a killing in an area where wolves have not been in some time, that idea was not part of the original question.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

I have but one thing to suggest here:

Tranquilizer darts loaded with LSD.

THAT way, they ARE hallucinating, and thus anything they saw cannot be taken seriously.

This is probably a good approach for removing credibility in many other situations where you do not want viable witnesses. :lol:
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

And you can use the darts on yourself to liven up a dull evening!
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I voted for "mess with his head" but it all depends on the situation of course.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Depends on the situation and environment.

Bright sunny day with little or no cover and no chance to quickly hide? Probably bite them.

Dark forest at night with trees to quickly hide behind? Just jump behind a tree and get out of there, then do nothing else.

I'd resort to killing only if they either tried to kill me, or in if in escaping they would most definitely compromise my security.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Hmm, I kinna dont think just one choice.. I kinna look at the list there as a scale, you go up backwards.

Biting just to keep someone quiet is just as dangerous.. Then you have a bitter werewolf on your hands, maybe bitter enough to turn himself in, or expose everyone for what's happened.

The last resort is death, after everything else has failed. You canNOT let this get out. Reality itself would come crashing own all around us. Religions would fail, science would flouder, not to mention the legal, and governmental complications. no no, just too much, Us humans need our mystery, we need to have questions as yet unanswered. Otherwise, we become bored very quickly.

Maybe werewolves one day will be able to live 'amongst' us openly. But that day is a long ways off methinks. So yeah, I'd go backwards up the list, and find something that worked.

AB