About all these medical test scenarios...

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: About all these medical test scenarios...

Post by Volkodlak »

i was x-rayed for yaw pain at our hospitals they x-ray you for any broken bone
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Maybe they're really clever or really stingy in the UK, they didn't x-ray me for my neck injury when I got sick, passed out, and slammed my head into a wall as the floor rose up to meet me.

Maybe they looked at my record though "Previously admitted for head injuries sustained in a road accident. Deep laceration to the temple, 4 stitches, no fractures. Bah! This kid has a BSA approved skeleton, he'll be fine, he only fell on a wall this time, send him home" :lol:
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I wound up with internal bleeding once upon a time, and despite the fact that I was seeing really neat colors and having difficulty understanding basic questions like "What's your name?" due to blood loss, I nevertheless walked into the ER at Naval Medical Center San Diego. What do they do? Give me over a dozen x-rays to make sure that I don't have a broken leg.
:eyebrow:
Scott will probably have a much better idea of why that makes sense (medically speaking).
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

lets say you are attacked by WW from behind so you didnt see him you are bitten and knocked out so you wake up with bite wound and head hurts you go too doctor will he found anything unusual beside your story?
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Uniform Two Six wrote:I wound up with internal bleeding once upon a time, and despite the fact that I was seeing really neat colors and having difficulty understanding basic questions like "What's your name?" due to blood loss, I nevertheless walked into the ER at Naval Medical Center San Diego. What do they do? Give me over a dozen x-rays to make sure that I don't have a broken leg.
:eyebrow:
Scott will probably have a much better idea of why that makes sense (medically speaking).
Different angles, right? I got like three or four angles taken of my big toe when I dropped a dolly (small anvil) on it, and after my cycling accident they took I think two of my skull (frontal and side), they usually take several images to cover the bases or triangulate the images for a suspected bone break, it's necessary for a proper diagnosis, but what I really meant is they know bone takes weeks/months to heal, they won't be taking more x-rays 3 days later or whatever for the same injury.

*Edit* I just remembered, even though you could walk, if you had any swollen bruises on your legs, they'd probably use x-rays to look for so called "green stick" fractures, this is when the bone hasn't completely failed, like the name suggests, it's like when you try snap a green tree branch, some fibers keep the two halves together, similarly bone doesn't always just snap completely into pieces like glass, I had my forearm x-rayed for this reason along with my head, they thought I had a green stick break near my wrist because it was swollen.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Yeah, the internal bleeding was pooling in both legs, and one had cartoonishly swollen and turned black. And, yes the over one dozen x-rays they took were of the same place, but from different angles. I still don't get it, though. Even if it was green-sticked, the pain would've been more than enough to make sure that I wouldn't have been walking on it with anything less than a gun to my head (and probably not even then). I've never had one, but fractures are supposedly an eleven on the one-to-ten pain scale.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Well, that's what I've always been told, that bone breaks smart like the devil, but maybe not always, I don't know. In my case they thought I might have green sticked it, they did the x-ray, and told me it was fine, and while it didn't really hurt me, I could tell it was a pretty damn hard knock I'd taken, I put my weight on it when I hopped over the wall to drag my bike back out of the field it bounced off into, I felt something from that and thought "uh-oh", but I can't be sure if the sensation was coming from the muscle or the bone.

I can say that it did feel different than any other hard knock I've received, it felt different to the one on my temple, my sprained ankles, it could have been a hairline green stick that didn't show up on the x-ray (and might be why they gave you the hulk dose), small enough not to hurt, but big enough to cause tell tale symptoms, but I'm just guessing on that.

I take it they didn't find any broken bones then?

The Meeper.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Meeper wrote: I take it they didn't find any broken bones then?
Not a one. Soft tissue damage only. Nonetheless the leg apparently just looked bad enough that they automatically assumed that the thing had gotten an advanced stage of cellulitis, and they actually called in their resident expert on amputations in anticipation of lopping it off (somewhere above the knee). Fortunately for me they decided to wait on a blood work-up first.
:roll:
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

i had to take a medical test because my real job demands it after it i was starting too think if WW take this test he would fail it reason:

high body temperature would rise doctors concerns he would probably do aditional test and things can get compliated.

i would fail it even when i woud have to give blood sample because i have needle phobia and fear could couse shift.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It depends on the doctor. If your body temperature shows a fever, you might just get told that you've got a cold. Come in about a month ago, and you might get treated for the flu. A particularly detail-oriented physician might order a CBC--blood labwork to see what your red and white blood cells are up to. Assuming you don't wig out and shift when the lab tech comes to get a specimen, you'd next be found to have a rather high white blood cell count, and thus you'll next get treated with antibiotics. Just don't let them check your amylase and lipase, or they'll try to hospitalize you for pancreatitis; canine amylase and lipase are normally about twice what they are in humans who aren't suffering from an acute inflammation of the pancreas.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

lets say WWs normal body temperature is 39C so you will go to hospital with 41+C doctors will diagnose you with Hyperpyrexia and will start too cool you down and couse Hypothermia because doctrors will try to cool you down to 37C witch is 2C below your normal temp. doctors would be confused what would they do next scot?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I routinely get normal people with temperatures between 97 and 99.5 (Yes, we actually use Fahrenheit even in medical records here in the U.S.) If someone has a temperature of 101 to 102, the normal core body temperature of a wolf, we'd worry about fever and try to find the cause. In someone with no obvious sore throat, cough, or positive flu test, we'd check for pneumonia (chest X-ray, which I would expect to be normal in the lycanthropic person), urinary tract infections (urine analysis, which would be normal other than rather concentrated), and then a check of general blood labwork. That's where things would get messy. A CBC (count of blood cells) might show elevated WBCs (4-10k in a healthy adult genetic-standard human outside of pregnancy, but 6-18k in canines), so we'd then have to check for other causes. If you're clinically fine and not hurting, we might just tell you to see your regular doctor in a few days. But, if you're on the verge of the dreaded involuntary first shift, you might get a more thorough workup, misdiagnosing you with a severe and rather peculiar case of pancreatitis when your amylase and lipase come back elevated (each about 50-100 in healthy genetic-standard humans, but about 200-300 in canines.)
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

scott if they diagnose that you have severe pancreatitis you would probably be taken to ICU woldnt treatment couse more problems because your readings are higer than normal humans so they will try too lower it to normal level of a human,but your levels are allready normal so it will go bellow normal?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Drugs to control fever, like acetomenophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen, will not cause hypothermia. And, we have nothing that specifically lowers amylase and lipase. We lower those by treating pancreatitis. If we treat for pancreatitis and you don't have it, then we're basically giving you lots of IV fluid and pain medicine--both of which probably wouldn't be a bad idea for someone in acute lycanthropic pre-metamorphic syndrome, but neither likely to "fix" the "problem."
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

scott thanks for answer,but i have another one but its not so medical question lets say im in process of first TF if i somehow manage too get my phone and dial 911 and dispatcher answers but all he/she hears that im in severe pain and unable too answer, will he/she send paramedics to my location?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Yes; they'll send trained first-responders to any location there is a medical 9-1-1 call (in the U.S., but likely similar rules in most developed countries with emergency service networks). If a call is so vague and ambiguous that the dispatcher cannot tell what is going on, the police will be sent first. In your example, though, a mention of pain will have them send an ambulance, though police may get sent as well, especially if the call suggests any potential situational disturbance, such as from a fight or risk of harm to self or others.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Scott Gardener wrote:Yes; they'll send trained first-responders to any location there is a medical 9-1-1 call (in the U.S., but likely similar rules in most developed countries with emergency service networks). If a call is so vague and ambiguous that the dispatcher cannot tell what is going on, the police will be sent first. In your example, though, a mention of pain will have them send an ambulance, though police may get sent as well, especially if the call suggests any potential situational disturbance, such as from a fight or risk of harm to self or others.
Scott thank you for answering my question, So you have a problem you will need to leave house because if you dont they will probably see you transformed