What TV shows did you watch when you were a kid?

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Doctor Who! :o
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

Morkulv wrote:He's allergic to dirt... Come on, how gay can it get? :P
Ok you got a point there. :lol:
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Morkulv wrote: MacGyver
:lol: Me, my mother, and my sister all had such a crush on him! :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Bweh. :P Well, I just thought it was awesome to see somebody make a bomb using kitchen-things.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

MoonKit wrote:
Morkulv wrote: MacGyver
:lol: Me, my mother, and my sister all had such a crush on him! :lol:
OMG. I watched MacGyver too! I played hockey and grew a mullet to be more like him....That was when I was four, of course. The mullety mullet is gone. Though, I still carry around rubber bands and safety pins in my pocket just in case I need to fix my cell phone or have to pick a lock while poking my eye out. Good times...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

We're off to outer space; we're leaving Mother Earth...

Post by Scott Gardener »

Two of the first shows I watched, I kid you not, were "Jolly Bible Time" and "Introducing Biology." Needless to say, I grew up confused about the world and reality, and something had to give.

I also watched "Cosmos" with great fascination, as well as episodes of "Nova." I loved science documentaries, particularly ones about space or dinosaurs. If it was about the KT boundary event, I was in hog heaven.

But, you'll be glad to know I did watch kids' shows, too. Bear in mind that this was maybe 1980 or so, so my kids' shows predate many of your existences. Those of you in your thirties and over might remember some of these, or may have seen some of these in rerun...

"Gigglesnort Hotel"--a mixture of live action and puppetry, in which a weekly social skill or commentary theme is brought up by the interactions of a front manager, an eccentric elevator operator, an elderly owner with the delusion that he's captain of a ship, an amorphous clay bellhop that the manager could shape to fit moods, and a dragon in the basement. Highlight episodes include one reenacting the witches' cauldron scene in MacBeth and a three-parter in which an alien plots to destroy the world through pollution.

Krofft Superstars--A compilation of several series, with a different show each day of the week. Most notable was "Land of the Lost"--which is well-enough remembered and loved that it's been remastered on DVD. It had a surprisingly sophisticated Sci-Fi element about it, with alien relic pylons and reptilian creatures known as "Sleestaks," as well as, here's the deal-maker for me--dinosaurs. The main characters were a family that was paddling along rapids when they fell down a waterfall and into an alternate dimension, where they struggled to make a new home in a mostly primitive setting, with the noticable exception of the alien pylons and other artifacts. Several other series stand out in my mind. "Far Out Space Nuts" featured "Gilligan's Island's" John Denver and a cast mate as two maintainance workers accidentally launched into space (during a review of food pods, the word "lunch" was mistaken for "launch"). "The Lost Saucer" featured two kids and a pair of quirky androids wandering through space. One particularly good episode (or, at least I remember it as being good from the perspective of a kid who was maybe four or five) involved their arriving on a planet suffering from a fuel crisis--it might have been set on Earth in the future, maybe 2060 or so. The androids themselves were running out of power. Again, heavy stuff for a kid's show, but remember, I was also watching Carl Sagan showing me the sun engulfing the Earth five billion years from now.

Sci-Fi also figures prominently in my upbringing. I was into hard core geekdom long before it was fashionable. I saw the original Battlestar Galactica when it came out, and a few years later, the Gil Gerrard version of Buck Rogers. I saw syndicated versions of Star Trek before there was a Next Generation, and I saw the original Star Wars trilogy and every Star Trek movie except the first Motion Picture in theaters with their initial releases. I also had a goodly share of early Americanized Anime--I saw "Battle of the Planets" (a dub of "Ninja Science Team Gachaman") and "Star Blazers" ("Space Battlecruiser Yamato"), and later "Robotech" (an edit/remix of three different Anime series hacked and dubbed into a continuous storyline). In the nineties I would rediscover Anime in its unaltered state (aside from subtitles in English), about six or seven years before it became readily available over here in the U.S. outside of cult circles.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

I'm suddenly remembering Mr. Wizard. Does anyone else remember that old guy. Now that was a cool teacher. The several Timmy's that mysteriously came and went were pretty smart, but Mr. Wizard made the show happen.

Then there was Bill Nye The Science Guy.

Star Trek, I watched. Back in the day the graphics on the show were well done. Looking at them now one can only laugh at the once convincing images of planets. Looking at hair styles and skimpy outfits that they were made to wear....Well, I can't wait for the next movie that's coming out this years. We'll just have to see.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Ahh, yes: I did watch Mr.Wizard back when it was:Live, unrehearsed other than for the lines of dialogue, and was in stunning black and white.

On a Motorola television set with a huge 15" screen and in winter it doubled as a house warmer...
Like in the 1950's folks... :lol:

Odd facts that I found out: both Mr. Wizard and the first Timmy are dead. Mr. Wizard was originally an engineer at General Electric: the show was his idea. It was tested at Macy's over the Christmas holidays in 1953. It started production in 1954.

Now I DO feel old! :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

We didn't even have TV in the 1950s... not until 1959, anyway; I think that was when AKTV2 started up. (This is for values of the variable "we" which include "other people living in this country").

I've remembered something else I watched when I was young... "Clutch Cargo". Don't remember it being much good (in fact I remember the animation as being particularly wooden, even for the 1970s) but it was one of the few cartoons they played on DNTV2 back before there was a national network.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Clutch Cargo was about the worst of the worst...
Wooden? The lips were filmed off voice actors and then inset into the faces of the characters, the same way that heads are pasted onto bodies nowdays. There were no facial expressions to speak of.

On the other hand, though; they could make two episodes a week- which was two episodes too many, most of the time.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I remember watching Sonic the Hedgehog anime and G.I. Joe which I wanted to be one when I was little. :drillsgt:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

RedEye wrote:Wooden? The lips were filmed off voice actors and then inset into the faces of the characters, the same way that heads are pasted onto bodies nowdays.
I now feel an inexplicable urge to track down a still from the show and caption it "MY LIPS ARE PASTEDE ON YAY"...
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

I just got a dvd set of a show I watched when I was a kid " The Littles" oh man this is bring back memories :)
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Dinosaucers baby. CHEEZY, bad show but i liked it anyway. Big talking dinosaurs from outer spaaaaace!
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Midnight wrote:I've remembered something else I watched when I was young... "Clutch Cargo". Don't remember it being much good
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

Samurai Pizza Cats :D
Mummies Alive
Tom & Jerry
The magic schoolbus
science court
Sam & Max
the tick
Freakazoid
the mask
Loony toons
Fritz the Cat
The Rocky and Bowinkle Show
Aniamaniacs
Gabby.
Last edited by Blue-eyes in the dark on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

Freakazoid
Tom & Jerry
Rocko's Modern Life
Doug
Dinosaurs
and many more
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

I'm suddenly remembering certain TV shows that rotted my brain, but thrilled me when I was a kid.
Fantastic Max - Show about a baby who's catch phrase was "Dirty Dipers!" He went on adventures with his elephant doll and woodblock robot. He always saved the day with his safety pin without having to poke anyone in the process.

Mighty Max - Kid...Destined One...Saves the Universe with a Barbarian named Norman and a wise chicken...I mean fowl.

Duck Tales - An average of four spoiled ducks, a bad pelican pilot and a large amount of money at their disposal.

Dungeons and Dragons - Short lived animated show about some kids that go on a roller coaster ride and end up in a magical world. Never had a finale, so the kids are still stuck there from 80s.

The Snorks - A show much like the smirfs, but it takes place under the sea. They look a lot like the Teletubies, equipped with phalluses.

Look up your old TV shows on this site. It's a good reference and it even has some clips from the shows.
http://www.retrojunk.com/
l0b0h0mbre
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Re: What TV shows did you watch when you were a kid?

Post by l0b0h0mbre »

Here'z one that no one thought of and i loved it. FANGFACE! The crazy scooby doo clone, which I watched before speed buggy... In the late 70's, early 80's..... God, do I feel old.... :lol:
Attachments
ff-fceb3.jpg
The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma. - Abraham Lincoln
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re:

Post by Terastas »

Morkulv wrote:He's allergic to dirt... Come on, how gay can it get? :P
Actually, I seem to recall anything natural being able to heal him.

And while Capt. Planet did have five young sidekicks, only 3/5 were the same gender and none of them wore tight tight rubber spandex like the Capt. himself, so really he was one of the most straight superheroes to ever see the light of day.
:grinp:

Never watched Capt. Planet much myself, but his theme song was one of my high school's four class songs (along with "Pinky & The Brain," "Sponge Bob Square Pants" and "Salute Your Shorts"), so I feel obligated to defend him whenever applicable.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Which cartoons did I watch, or which do I still watch?
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Chance
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: There is joy in everything you do, you just have to realize it's there so you can embrace it.

Post by Chance »

Oh goodness this is gonna age me, here goes:

Cartoons:
Gummy Bears
Rainbow Bright
She Ra
He Man
Winnie the Poor
Garfield
Smurfs
The Snorks
Thundercats
Transformers
Gi Joe
Muppet Babies
Gem and the Holigrams
Pound Puppies
Flinstones
The Jetsons

Kid shows:( can't really remember a bunch of these)
Fragel Rock
Mr Rogers Neighborhood

Tv shows:
Night Rider
Wonder Women
A team
Simon and Simon
Magnum PI
Cheers
Taxi
Star Trek reruns

That is not a comprehensive list, just what I can recall off the top of my head. Also , it's what I can remember from kid to about pre-teen. I do remember fondly the saturday morning cartoon block. Oh, and the california raisins holiday specials.