Disgaea Anime

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Disgaea Anime

Post by WolvenOne »

I wasn't entirely certain where to post this, but ultimatly decided this place was the best fit for such a topic. Now this is one month old news but it's news to me so bare with it.

Rondo Robe, a division of Geneon Entertainment Japan, announced at the 2005 Rondo Robe event that an anime based on the Disgaea PS2 game is in production. More details regarding the anime are expected to emerge at the summer Comiket.

Okay, for those not in the know, Disgaea is a somewhat lower budget video-game title that had fairly old-school sprite based graphics. So when it came out in the US with no advertising campaign people didn't expect much from it. Low-n-behold, the first week it came out it was one of the top-ten gaming titles in the US, despite very strong competition and still has a strong following to today.

The basic story follows an adolescent demon prince named Laharl whom fell asleep for two years only to awake and discover that his father the king had died and that every demon in the netherworld is duking it out for the throne. The game's plot already plays out like an anime so it should translate into animated form very well.

Suffice to say, I'm excited. I am a HUGE fan of the game and have often thought to myself that they NEED to make an anime out of it. So this is a dream come true to me. :)
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Okay, just gonna post some pictures of the characters to give people an idea what sort of show we're talking about here.

http://wolf0013.xepher.net/temp/disgaea/Pub_07l.jpg <- here's a less chibi-rendition of the cast.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I'm familiar with Disgaea; it's an excellent game. Even so, I just can't get excited over an anime based on it. In my eyes, their chances of producing something decent are much too low for me to bother getting my hopes up.

We'll see.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

When it comes to anime in Japan, they'll base it off of anything. that or pull the idea out of the air.

It may get popular in Japan and not here. Or it could be reversed.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, it appears Geneon is going to be co-producing it so that may be why they chose to make it. The way I see it is that it'll either be very good or very bad, it depends on exactly what animation team they put in charge of it.