Don't Look in the Basement

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Don't Look in the Basement

Post by Scott Gardener »

I recently discovered this cult horror classic on a DVD compilation that I had bought at a discount, because it also had Werewolf in a Girl's Dormatory. I decided to give Don't Look in the Basement a look, because I learned that it's directed by an S. F. Brownrigg, and I also hear his son is pretty good...

It's an amazing piece, actually. In true Brownrigg fashion, it does a lot with very little. Imagine what Stanley Kubrick would have done given a B movie budget. Brownrigg Sr. splurged on excellent actors and a great cinematographer, and made the simplicity and minimalism of the set look intentional. I'm wanting to say it was honestly intended to appear the way it did, in spite of my having attended Anthony's film-making forum at A-Kon, where he openly admitted that sometimes low budget cleverness is accidental. This really looked composed.

Great plot twist; I won't spoil it. Basically, the story involves a new nurse showing up for work at an asylum, who finds on arrival that the physician who hired her was killed by one of the patients. We also learn that his methods were rather unorthodox, actively seeking to amplify rather than surpress the emotional disturbances of the seriously mentally ill.

The cast of mentally ill characters was also surprisingly plausible, especially considering when the movie was made. No fake Napoleons wandering around; the characters are instead people who are fairly similar to actual mental patients I've met. At least one, a woman who has dealt with emotional rejection so often that her craving for affection has driven her mad, really felt as though she were based on a real person.

The actors each portray the mixture of emotions very well, too. The expressions and the eyes look very genuine.

The music is a bit cheap, but it's not intrusive. In fact, they make good use of something we recently discussed elsewhere--that sometimes the best musical score is none at all.

Film quality was 70s-ish; a good digital remaster would certainly be deserved.

Certainly worth a look. You shouldn't look in the basement, but you should definitely see this film. (OK, I can't help it. I've got to say it. All your basement are belong to us...)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Don't Look in the Basement

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:I recently discovered this cult horror classic on a DVD compilation that I had bought at a discount, because it also had Werewolf in a Girl's Dormatory. I decided to give Don't Look in the Basement a look, because I learned that it's directed by an S. F. Brownrigg, and I also hear his son is pretty good...

It's an amazing piece, actually. In true Brownrigg fashion, it does a lot with very little. Imagine what Stanley Kubrick would have done given a B movie budget. Brownrigg Sr. splurged on excellent actors and a great cinematographer, and made the simplicity and minimalism of the set look intentional. I'm wanting to say it was honestly intended to appear the way it did, in spite of my having attended Anthony's film-making forum at A-Kon, where he openly admitted that sometimes low budget cleverness is accidental. This really looked composed.

Great plot twist; I won't spoil it. Basically, the story involves a new nurse showing up for work at an asylum, who finds on arrival that the physician who hired her was killed by one of the patients. We also learn that his methods were rather unorthodox, actively seeking to amplify rather than surpress the emotional disturbances of the seriously mentally ill.

The cast of mentally ill characters was also surprisingly plausible, especially considering when the movie was made. No fake Napoleons wandering around; the characters are instead people who are fairly similar to actual mental patients I've met. At least one, a woman who has dealt with emotional rejection so often that her craving for affection has driven her mad, really felt as though she were based on a real person.

The actors each portray the mixture of emotions very well, too. The expressions and the eyes look very genuine.

The music is a bit cheap, but it's not intrusive. In fact, they make good use of something we recently discussed elsewhere--that sometimes the best musical score is none at all.

Film quality was 70s-ish; a good digital remaster would certainly be deserved.

Certainly worth a look. You shouldn't look in the basement, but you should definitely see this film.
I've heard of this film. Not sure if I seen it. Can't remember. Mind is blank.

Scott Gardener wrote: (OK, I can't help it. I've got to say it. All your basement are belong to us...)
Bad pun...have some duckies!! :ducktoss3: