What should get a remake / adaptation?

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

What should get a remake / adaptation?

Post by Terastas »

Just so you know, this isn't a completely useless thread. I just got a second position at the Examiner -- on top of being the America's Got Talent Examiner, I'm now going to be the Bad TV Examiner (yes, that's right, they're actually going to pay me to rant about sucky TV programs).

Absolute first thing I thought I should write about was the upcoming (and unquestionably s***) Smurfs movie that's soon to come out. But rather than just count all the ways the movie is liable to blow, I thought maybe I should write an article about the trend of remakes and movie adaptations based on cartoons we watched as kids.

That in turn made me think I should start off with an article that's actually positive to some degree. So what I'm thinking of doing right now is writing a list of programs that, if Hollywood is so absolutely intent on creating nothing but remakes and adaptations, they might want to consider remaking instead.

Right now, I can only think of two for the list: Gargoyles and the Sonic SatAM series. Or at least those are the only two I could think of that are A) old enough to be considered nostalgic, and B) that I could actually write an argument in support of such (as opposed to just relying on my fanboy instincts).

I can't really make a list article with just two names on it though, so. . . If you can think of any programs you watched when you were young that you think need to be remade / adapted for the big screen, deserve to be remade / adapted, or would greatly benefit whoever did the remaking / adapting of it, please don't hesitate to mention them.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Re: What should get a remake / adaptation?

Post by alphanubilus »

Vultron...(the one with the robot cats). As a small child, I loved Vultron. Then again, I think they might already be trying to get that one made.

Dragon Slayer - The original film was a technical marvel for the day. It was the crown achievement for the old school stop-motion film making. Vermithrax Pejorative is still considered to be one of the greatest film dragons every concieved. In the day of age where dragons are cute and cuddly, I think Vermithrax needs to return to show the world just how fearful dragons can be, once more.

Kingdom Hearts - Square has done a fantastic job blending Disney and Final Fantasy together. To date, Kingdom Hearts remaines one of Square's top selling franchise, only being outdone by Final Fantasy, and more pointedly to FF7. I think it is high tide for Disney to return the favor, and create a full length motion picture!

"The Wolf Prince"... because I'm writing it... and it needs to be made. (I know... I know... shameless plug!)
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

Although not a cartoon from my childhood, I've found that "The Pirates of Dark Water" has gotten quite a lot of praise from those who review it. It's early episodes were unusually mature for the time it came out - something today's audiences would be much more ready to accept. It also possessed a long story arc that never reached it's conclusion, leaving fans rather upset.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

I definitely agree on Gargoyles, but

I also would enjoy seeing a lot of the Toonami lineup make a comeback. Not even remakes, but just reruns would make me happy.

The Transformers series, Beast Wars, etc.
FLCL
The Powerpuff Girls
Dexter's Laboratory
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Gundam Wing
Thundercats (except this one is already happening :P)
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Cyborg 009
ReBoot
Kiba
Blue Submarine no. 6
Record of Lodoss War
Tenchi Muyo! (Ryo-Ohki)
Batman and Superman animated.
Outlaw Star
Big O
Zoids
Gundam Wing, maybe G Gundam, it had some potential.
Samurai Jack
.hack//SIGN
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yu Yu Hakusho
Freakazoid!
Rurouni Kenshin
Justice League (and Unlimited)
Megas XLR
Teen Titans
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.