Underworld: Awakening

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Re: Underworld: Awakening

Post by Scott Gardener »

Finally saw Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, so I'm now officially only one behind. I see what everyone means about it being murky and hard to see. You have to rely on your hearing and acute sense of smell to keep up with what's going on, since it's filmed in wolf form... washed out colors and no green.

We see that the vampires' posturing and not following the advice of their tactical leaders is not new; Viktor has full mastery of strategic ignorance long before the modern age. He is completely astonished and vaguely disappointed when his empire crashes around him in spite of painfully obvious warnings.

Still, it has more story than the first Underworld and better-looking werewolves than the second. It's the least worst so far. I can feel for Lucian and want to see him succeed, so the connection with the movie is more there than in any of the previous ones. It does seem a bit odd having an Underworld movie without Kate Beckinsale in latex battle attire--I guess the vampires had not yet figured that werewolves are into that sort of thing.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Scott Gardener wrote: It does seem a bit odd having an Underworld movie without Kate Beckinsale in latex battle attire
I don't know. I thought what's-her-name being in that medieval armor get-up was sort of hot.
:lovestruck:
Hmmm...

Maybe I shouldn't have just admitted to that...
:oops:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote: It does seem a bit odd having an Underworld movie without Kate Beckinsale in latex battle attire
I don't know. I thought what's-her-name being in that medieval armor get-up was sort of hot.
Hmmm...

NO no, I agree with you 100%. One thing you can count on Underworld movies is that it has some very attractive female casts. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Louve_Lillith
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Moonlight Bard
Additional Details: I am published poet and author. I have a dark and quirky sense of humor and love fantasy writing.
Mood: Happy

Post by Louve_Lillith »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
Hmmm...

There's nothing wrong with liking the eye candy! :wink: hwlwnk Besides Beckinsale and Rhona Mitra (Sonja) are beautiful and from the female side Lucian and Michael are definitely wonderful! :lovestruck: :oops:
Through forests deep and Winter's cold my soul follows the eternal song...Leading me home!
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Alpha »

Louve_Lillith wrote:There's nothing wrong with liking the eye candy! :wink: hwlwnk Besides Beckinsale and Rhona Mitra (Sonja) are beautiful and from the female side Lucian and Michael are definitely wonderful! :lovestruck: :oops:
Ditto on this! It's not like I would be complaining if I were to see Megan Fox as a vamp or a she-wolf. :love: Speaking of which, I really hope that in the next Underworld they'll have some female Lycans with actual speaking roles. Other than a very brief (non-speaking) scene in the first movie, and Lucian's birth scene from Rise of the Lycans, they've been totally absent from the films.
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

This one was actually my second fave of the series, which i'm a huge fan of. SPOILERS AHEAD>

For me, the best thing about Awakening was that in the first few minutes, you get to see lycans and vamps getting hunted down in a variety of situations, and it is stated that many people lost loved ones to "the purge". This opens up the Underworld universe and shows that there were vamps and lycans not associated with the war, trying to live among humans peaceably, which i think is great. Furthermore, the Lycans being bad guys didn't bother me that much, as they were doing it mostly for survival, and Selene is the main character so vampires kind of have to be good. The writing and direction of this installment were by far the best in the series, much thanks to writer J Michael Stracynski (creator of Babylon 5, comic book legend), a personal hero of mine. And the action and effects were superb as always.
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
Sharpfang
Custom Title: The Lone Wolf
Additional Details: I've loved werewolves with a passion since I was six years old. I'm also a werewolf myself.
Mood: Happy

Post by Sharpfang »

I looooved Underworld: Awakening. :) I can't wait to get it on Blu-ray. The werewolves are awesome in those movies.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

This film was a big let down in so many ways.For me anywho.Key points to the movie are the child and the scientifically enhanced werewolves which were really the only interesting parts of the story.Graphics were decent of course but left a little to be desired.Movie was def missing any real depth.I saw it twice just to give it a fair viewing, but prob wont bother seeing it again.Hopefully, since the movie did leave you with the assumption there will be another,they will take the time it needs so that it holds up to the standard of the other films.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

Movie was good but lycans were somehow weak meybe because starvation.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

I think I'll need to take a break from movie watching and watch Underworld Awakening with a fresh pair of eyes, since I'd watched a bunch of hollywood (Incredible hulk, Fantastic 4, X-Men, and some others I forget at the moment) leading up to watching this, I think I overdosed on stories about powerful beings, and with all the talk and implication of upping the werewolf power ante, it made my eyes glaze over and brain go to sleep.

First impressions though, another mixed bag, I'm pleased with how CG characters continue to progress, particularly with character animation, slowing it down, but inconsistencies remain. It seems the TLC in the art department could have been cherry picked to create something truly spectacular, sadly it didn't quite happen. Quint's werewolf form wins points for much improved facial wolfiness, and loses them again because of permasnarl, I'd love to have seen that face relax just once somewhere so we could get to enjoy it, the rest of him, forget about it, I love muscle bulk as much as the next guy but there was little to enjoy here, but he's a freak's freak, so I guess it worked :P .

The sick (CG) lycans were interesting, again mostly nice animation but it looks like they skimped on the sick lycans to make Quint's face relatively "pretty", pity, but not unexpected.

The girl: *scratches head* I've no idea.

Jacob I thought was probably the most interesting in his transformed state, as if to say "there's variety at the other end of the scale", he had reasonably good practical effects, but the CG they used for him was the worst of the bunch, I think someone somewhere said something about video game graphics, umm, yeah.

I don't know what happened to the practical effects, but a lot of the regular lycans had something wrong with their heads, they seemed more lifeless than usual.

I can't comment on story, I'm useless with that stuff. Overall it was entertaining, but I think I'll pass on the next film if/when it comes out, I think I've realized it's not my cup of tea.
Scott Gardener wrote:Finally saw Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, so I'm now officially only one behind. I see what everyone means about it being murky and hard to see. You have to rely on your hearing and acute sense of smell to keep up with what's going on, since it's filmed in wolf form... washed out colors and no green.

We see that the vampires' posturing and not following the advice of their tactical leaders is not new; Viktor has full mastery of strategic ignorance long before the modern age. He is completely astonished and vaguely disappointed when his empire crashes around him in spite of painfully obvious warnings.

Still, it has more story than the first Underworld and better-looking werewolves than the second. It's the least worst so far. I can feel for Lucian and want to see him succeed, so the connection with the movie is more there than in any of the previous ones. It does seem a bit odd having an Underworld movie without Kate Beckinsale in latex battle attire--I guess the vampires had not yet figured that werewolves are into that sort of thing.
Yeah, if I had to pick a favourite, Rise of the Lycans would be it.

The Meeper.
Last edited by Meeper on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Meeper wrote: I don't know what happened to the practical effects, but a lot of the regular lycans had something wrong with their heads, they seemed more lifeless than usual.
i saw a video how they changed lycans for this movie they look less alive because they decide to use simpler mechanism for head movment.

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsa3NyyH_Nc
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

lovec1990 wrote:
Meeper wrote: I don't know what happened to the practical effects, but a lot of the regular lycans had something wrong with their heads, they seemed more lifeless than usual.
i saw a video how they changed lycans for this movie they look less alive because they decide to use simpler mechanism for head movment.

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsa3NyyH_Nc
They made the heads lighter, and the performers carried on with the bad habit of whipping the head up into the camera frame, making the new improved lighter heads bounce on top of the performer's noggin even more like twanging a heavy ruler off the edge of a school desk. That's what has been killing it for me all through the series.

The only way I can see to do it is give the werewolf head an actual proper load bearing neck structure to carry the head, give it it's own support (it's own vertebrea and muscles, so to speak) that bypasses the performer's neck and anchors to, say, the shoulders, that way no weight would be resting on the actor's head, releaving them to point the heads, rather than whipping and using momentum generated from the body to move the head around, and the sense of weight (not necessarily actual weight) of the animatronic head gear can be dialed in better.

OH, and stop the lion trainer routine guys, one of these days I'll expect to hear a whip crack come from one of those werewolves :lol: .
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I have to say that the movie was almost a dissapointment for me (but was saved from that fate by the fact that I had very low expectations going in). Nevertheless, I have to praise it in one way: The final fight scene where she kills him with the grenade, using the werewolf's regenerative powers against him. I thought that was actually pretty inventive (although it did crank up the chunky-salsa-yuck-factor by a few notches), and I totally didn't see it coming. I think it would've been pretty crappy in any other context, but the rest of the movie was sufficiently mindless, that I think it actually improved it (although I'm not exactly sure if that last statement is complementary or damning).
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

this Underworld series on general have intresting way of presenting each side(lycans and vampires) story itself is as usual vampire centric and potrays lycans as bad guy or monsters and vampires as good guys and in first,second and fourth movie we only see lycans in combat but vampires get much more attention but in thirth movie is lycan based so there we have a little understanding of lycans.But turning Michael into hybrid was a bad move it would be more intersting too se vampire/lycan love story.For selene i will not waste my words
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Saw it! I'm now up to speed.

Spoiler paragraph!

So, basically, Dyson from Lost Girl gets a really huge Crinos form; my character Scott Gardener's worst nightmare comes true, and humans go on a genocidal campaign to eradicate the "diseases"; and, Selene decides from time to time to accent her dominatrix armor with a jacket, because it's really cold outside, where she's not frozen naked inside a block of ice. And, it's in 3D, so when Megawolf throws cars, he's throwing them at me, personally. And... lots of broken glass shards. And... clouds of silver nitrate.

I liked it better when the werewolves were the good guys. It was fun to watch, a guilty pleasure, but thankfully I went in without much expectation. I did with Rise of the Lycans as well, and was stunned when I ended up with a pretty good movie. This one, however, backslid to the original, ending up mostly running and jumping, and worse yet, trying to make me root for vampires hunting werewolves. They made the non-house-sized Lycans look kind of frog-like in their slick hairless skin, hoppy movements, and lack of tails.

And yet, I keep wanting to see the next one. It's a guilty pleasure.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Eh...

I actually liked the Twilight movies better (and that's REALLY saying something).
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Eh...

I actually liked the Twilight movies better (and that's REALLY saying something).
Ouch.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Uniform Two Six if you like it good so in what team are you?

im in team Guy Who Almost Hit Bella With A Car
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Actually, I didn't say that I liked Twilight all that much. I was making more of a comment on how mediocre most of the Underworld movies were.

Team Jacob (even though werewolves who walk around the Olympic Peninsula half-naked in winter will catch cold -- but at least he didn't sparkle).
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

but if you ask me underworld did use probably most realistic design
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Eh.

I liked the fact that the werewolves in Twilight at least looked wolf-like (although the shifts left much to be desired). Aside from the progenitor werewolf thing (can't recall it's name right now -- the thing that crashed the helicopter by yanking on it's tether), nothing much in those Underworld movies actually looked like a wolf.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

william and werewolfs were little wolfish lycans are hybrids half WW half human but their design is realistic lets take head design of lycan:

they didnt youst stick wolf head on body but they create hybrid head design isnt WW supose to be half man half wolf?
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Well, even the Lycans in Underworld had features that weren't really a good blend of the two. For instance, they were entirely humanoid in basic structure (a practical necessity given that it was still an actor in the suit). I prefer the White Wolf Crinos form for werewolves in that there are elements that are primarily or entirely canine and other elements primarily or entirely human, rather than a homogenized blend of the two. Besides, I like actual fur on my werewolves. Naked werewolves look silly.
:D
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

but if you look this way:
they are hybrids and 75% of mixure is human 25% is wolf so lack of fur is possible, chest design is closer to canines and so are neck, legs and head.

but i didnt like that idea of riping pants while changing in reality you wouldnt rip them because legs dodnt change that much you would probably wear them because lack of fur would it made possible or necesery during winter but upper part is not posibble because of neck and chest design .

but you know each of us prefer one design i prefer lycans design too me is most realistic design but im awere of flaws potraid in movies(spiderman powers and healing)