The Grey - (2012)

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

The Grey - (2012)

Post by FoxKnight »

This may not exactly be a werewolf movie, but it does involve wolves as an overshadowing danger throughout much of the movie.

Anyways, not to give out too many spoilers, this film will keep you on edge and does a very good job of evoking real fear. This premiered yesterday and is definitely worth watching
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Re: The Grey - (2012)

Post by Fullmoonstar »

I have never heard of the movie before and need to do some research before I can say more to it than this. But what you say, sounds interesting and so I will see what I can find about it...
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
werewolf-woman
Legendary
Legendary

Post by werewolf-woman »

this movie bothers me to the core.. just more anti-wolf propaganda :roll:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I see the previews and keep thinking how screwy it is to show wolves attacking people, even out of hunger. Wolves have to be pretty desperate to resort to hunting humans.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Something you should know.

Source. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grey#Controversy

On January 19, 2012, The Province featured an article about the movie buying four wolf carcasses from a local trapper, two for props for the movie and two wolves for the cast to eat. This angered environmentalists and animal activists, who were already irate that the movie depicts wolves in a negative light, specifically at a time when gray wolves had recently been removed from the Endangered Species Act in many western states.

In response to the portrayal of wolves in the film, groups including PETA and WildEarth Guardians started drives to boycott the film.

Open Road has responded by placing a fact sheet about the gray wolf on the film's official website, with cooperation from the Sierra Club. Carnahan has responded by downplaying the significance of the violent wolves portrayed in the film, instead highlighting the significance of man's interior struggle for survival.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Yup, already heard about it. Me and Pariah were talking about it on facebook.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Post by FoxKnight »

One of the spoilers I didn't want to reveal was that. I'm not familiar with wolf behavior or anything, but I could tell something was wrong about them when they attacked the survivors. But that wasn't what the movie was really about. It was more about facing one's fears and overcoming overwhelming obstacles to survive. It's kind of like a "stranded" themed story with the wolves added to create an extra sense of urgency. No matter how annoying the wolves are portrayed, that's not what the whole movie is about. (The last line of the "Controversy" section of the link explains my point too)

Maybe I shouldn't have brought this topic to a group that loves wolves so much...
*re-evaluates his decision making again*
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Wolf attacks are rare, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. They're almost unheard of in North America, but they're far more common in Asia. Is The Grey's depiction unfair or unrealistic? I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility.
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fullmoonstar »

During my research about this movie, I have found a lot of controversy too about the topic of wolves attacking humans, which is definately pretty unrealistic. We are talking about some kind of horrormovie here, but I agree with the critics in a lot of points. Of course there are wolf-attacks on humans....but this is natural. The wolf is a predator and so it can happen that "human-and-wolf-confrontations" end with the death of the human, even if it is pretty rare. In movies the directors often use the fears of the people and prejudices against wolves to show them as bloodthirsty vicious beasts who can not wait to kill the next screaming highschool-girl. As I have already said in my previous post it's very interesting again. We do not have to wonder where all the prejudices come from now. A lot of people know that wolves are completely different, than the most movies with them in want to tell us. But there are even much much more people who still believe what movies and wolfhaters always tell them. They just draw a blurry, distorted and scary image of the real animal. Even where I live, where the wolves slowly try to come back, there are tons of people who try to stop that and fight the wolves back with all they have...and that is sad....
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm not yet sure if I'm boycotting it or not, since I wasn't planning on seeing it. I'm not sure boycotting it is even meaningful. It's kind of like my protesting the oppression of people in Myanmar by not visiting there. I wasn't going there in the first place, but if I can turn "meh" into a force for good in the world, then all the better.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kigai Holt
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Busy

Post by Kigai Holt »

I went and saw this movie, loved it. Just go in knowing that what is being portrayed in the wolves is very inaccurate. It's like the great film "The Edge," monster-izing a real world animal to make a thriller movie. No harm intended.

As long as you don't take any of the information from this fictional motion picture as fact, then go see the movie, it's well worth anybody's time.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Im more interested in another moving coming next week. "Safe House" involves Danzel Washington who is an ex CIA agent being hunted down.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fullmoonstar »

Kigai Holt wrote:I went and saw this movie, loved it. Just go in knowing that what is being portrayed in the wolves is very inaccurate. It's like the great film "The Edge," monster-izing a real world animal to make a thriller movie. No harm intended.
As long as you don't take any of the information from this fictional motion picture as fact, then go see the movie, it's well worth anybody's time.
Well...in my opinion there are still some things which disturb me about it. Even if the are a lot of people who know that the wolves in that movie are "monsterrized" and exaggerated there are a lot of others who don't know. Besides that there are still a lot of reasons for me not to like the movie or watch it, especially if the wiki-article Figarou posted here is right.
I know that boykotting the movie will not make it any better. But why should I watch it in the first place if I don't like several things of it? Maybe it is a solid and good horror-movie which would be worth to be watched...but I personally do not have the requirement to see it right now. Maybe later for research about what they did exactly....

@Shadow Wulf: I have not heared of it but it could be interesting too..
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Alpha »

I couldn't help but think of Jacob and his pack whenever they showed the wolves (especially that huge black alpha male). Damn you Twilight!
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

I boycotted it, not because the wolves are monsterized (that's par for the hollywood course), but because they actually ordered four wolf carcasses from a trapper; two to be used as props, and two were actually eaten by cast and crew, because there is a scene in the movie where they eat wolf meat, and they were curious as to how it would taste. Disgusting human beings, one and all. :(
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24