My rage cannot be contained.

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

My rage cannot be contained.

Post by Terastas »

Garbage Pail Kids movie in the works

. . . .

:pissedoff: What?! WHAT?!!!

Why?!! Why is this a good idea?!! More than that, why is it somehow a better idea than everything every single member of the Pack has ever produced!!!

:supermad:
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Re: My rage cannot be contained.

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

{has an asbestos umbrella to deflect molten brain chunks} Because people are stupid and will pretty much make anything they think they can make a quick buck on.
Our ideas, that would require dealing with people who refuse to allow others to change their visions for the sake of money making or making it as cheaply as possible to avoid putting any real work in.
Look at this way: original ideas cost too much for Hollywood to buy. They prefer the cheap crap, which always breaks/fades after a time.

And i've seen some of those cards. Who do they think will go watch that?
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

The people who used to collect those cards.... considering how many "remakes" or "revivals" there has been based in the fact that we who were kids then are job-aged adults now?
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

They gave Freeborn, Camp Lycanthrope, and Hour of Darkness the run-around but are making fraking this!?!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!

Post by Trinity »

Sickening isn't it? But I understand why even if I don't agree with it. It's all about the money.

Innovative NEVER gets the billing it deserves because too many big corps don't want to take the "risk". They go with a "known thing", and retro-toy-based-movies do bring in money, even if some are bombs they still get their money's worth.
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Oh boy....grab a seat and popcorn everyone, this is gonna be BAD. Image
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

Trinity wrote:Sickening isn't it? But I understand why even if I don't agree with it. It's all about the money.

Innovative NEVER gets the billing it deserves because too many big corps don't want to take the "risk". They go with a "known thing", and retro-toy-based-movies do bring in money, even if some are bombs they still get their money's worth.
I agree whole-heartedly with Trinity.
They've madea movie based on Dark Shadows, but have turned it more into a comic spoof. My mom is a fan of the classic one, and i've seen a few episodes. I think if they tried to make it serious, they would have done a better job of it...
but that's hollywood for you... screw up everything anyone loves to make a few bucks... :roll:
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Jeez, Terastas. They made Battleship: The Movie, and this gets you to blow chunks?

C'mon. We all know that Hollywood execs use the following logic pattern:
[fill in the blank] was popular in the eighties. If we do a movie based on [fill in the blank], then it will be popular too.

The thing that incenses me is when some movie industry "expert" bellyaches about how it's harder to get people to go to the movies anymore, and blames DVDs and videogames for the competition. The fact that their movies are cr@p, clearly isn't part of the equation (yeah, right).
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Battleship?!? What's next? Connect Four?

We have to act now! Don't you see? Three discs have aligned? If they get in place a fourth one, it's over!

I can't take this anymore! Ahgh! Grrrh! Hrrragh!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Jeez, Terastas. They made Battleship: The Movie, and this gets you to blow chunks?
More so than Battleship, not just because this is a horrible idea, but because this is a horrible idea THAT'S BEEN TRIED ONCE ALREADY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otqf_v1rHYE

See, that formula that you mentioned has already been proven wrong when applied to GPK. . . But they're going to do it again anyway.

So this isn't an example of "[subject] used to be popular, so lets make a [subject] movie." This is either "this is the cheapest $#*! we can find" or "I'm going to prove to those artsy-fartsy booklearny types that Hollywood can do whatever we want!"

This would be the Hollywood equivalent of giving AIG a third bailout. It was a miserable failure then, but they're going to do it again anyway. That is what makes it so infuriating.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas wrote: This is either "this is the cheapest $#*! we can find" or "I'm going to prove to those artsy-fartsy booklearny types that Hollywood can do whatever we want!"

This would be the Hollywood equivalent of giving AIG a third bailout. It was a miserable failure then, but they're going to do it again anyway. That is what makes it so infuriating.
It's probably the latter. They're relying on the formula which follows: economy in toliet, people want to forget, let's bring out stupid {bleep} that reminds them of happy not crappy times.
Sadly, people will probably fall for it...
V, from V for Vendetta.

JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Scott Gardener wrote:They gave Freeborn, Camp Lycanthrope, and Hour of Darkness the run-around but are making fraking this!?!
I'm surprised you're surprised about this.

Forgetting the fact that all of those works you've mentioned have their own... issues, which I can't be bothered debating about specifically, for fear of "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING HOW DARE YOUUUUUUUU", these xenophobes also don't like to gamble their wealth on what they think are duds.

Do it once, rage. Do it twice, realize it's a known pattern and just grumble.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

kitetsu wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:They gave Freeborn, Camp Lycanthrope, and Hour of Darkness the run-around but are making fraking this!?!
I'm surprised you're surprised about this.

Forgetting the fact that all of those works you've mentioned have their own... issues, which I can't be bothered debating about specifically, for fear of "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING HOW DARE YOUUUUUUUU", these xenophobes also don't like to gamble their wealth on what they think are duds.

Do it once, rage. Do it twice, realize it's a known pattern and just grumble.
I am aware that they have issues. Still, they each have their strengths as well; each have some strong concepts that, to a production studio, they should have some value.
Or at least as much value as freakin' Garbage Pail Kids!! :pissedoff:

Imagine that you are a studio executive faced with this scenario: Writer A never went to film school and doesn't know how to properly format a script, and it absolutely shows in his writing. However, he's created some very interesting, multidimensional characters and an intriguing and original concept for a movie that, if he were only a little more experienced, would do very well in theaters. Writer B, on the other hand, does know how to properly format a script and maintain the desired flow and pacing, but never had an original thought in his entire life, counts Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer among his idols and doesn't understand why Keanu Reeves has never received an Oscar nomination.

What do you think would be the better course of action:

#1: Offer Writer A a long-term contract with an "entree level" salary and hire Writer B as the co-writer on Writer A's movies.
#2: Spend ten as much on a licensing agreement, then pay Writer B to produce some total crap about it.

I would have thought that Hollywood would have the most interest in ideas; that they would continuously be on the lookout for new writers (who will presumably work for less) with new ideas that they could groom to be the next Christopher Nolan, the next James Cameron, the next Neill Blomkamp or the next Aaron Sorkin.

Instead, it looks like the exact opposite. They aren't just not interested in smart people with new ideas. They're OPPOSED to new ideas.

And if this doesn't drive the point completely home, nothing ever will.

But just to further the point home, let me remind you that the first Garbage Pail Kids movie was released in 1987. This lame throwback to 80s nostalgia was an abysmal failure the first time they tried it, even though the first time they tried it was in the 80s! This is the point where even Uwe Boll could start to look like a pro by comparison.