Wolf Children

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Wolf Children

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nliVCC3DRo

Apparently it's by the same guy who made Summer Wars. From the looks of it, the story revolves around a werewolf and a human falling for each other and giving birth to 2 werepups, and the rest of the story being a laid back slice-of-life story.

I would honestly see this solely because I'm getting sick of werewolf media being all about the same rehashed concepts about shoehorned philosophical debates about mankind's instinct control problems or pack wars or routine amnesiac cannibalism, or other serious and bloodily gritty subjects they often don't handle particularly well. I don't recommend this to anyone who takes serious werewolves too seriously, because surely the thought of a laid-back werewolf family story would border blasphemy.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Re: Wolf Children

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Sweet!
This looks really cool.
And i like how the transformations aren't painful or explicit, just... completely natural.
Though it does make me wonder... did the father die after his second child was born? You don't seem him much so...
Anyway, thanks for posting this. :D Definitely going to see this.
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

I'm not so good at understanding japanese... when does this come out and where will i find a dubbed copy?
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Wolf-man-24 wrote:I'm not so good at understanding japanese... when does this come out and where will i find a dubbed copy?
July 21st, according to the trailer. No idea about a likely English dub. Depending on its popularity, fansubs may be the only way.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

I loved Summer Wars. Their animation and storytelling is some of the best Japan has to offer. I'll definitely be anticipating this. =}
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'll have to keep an eye out for. A fan-sub; I am an old-schooler who prefers sub over dub, anyway.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Ditto... there are a lot of things the dubs take out, and besides, their voices are perfect for the characters.
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well. . . It's Japanese animation, so I wasn't really expecting it to be a traditional werewolf story to begin with.

Actually, it's a lot closer to what I would have expected from anime. Japanese folklore and media more often involves animals that can appear human than humans turning into animals (Wolf's Rain, InuYasha, etc.). So I'm not really expecting this to have any real impact on werewolves in the media. I'm just expecting it to be a slightly-warped but otherwise charming slice-of-life story.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I hardly see anything "traditional" to the idea of a "traditional werewolf story" to begin with. A story is a story, and a werewolf just happens to be a character with a pretty rich personal history.

That said, it's lamentable just how valid your point is about this potentially being a dud in werewolf media. With people so used to overly-serious pack feud dramas and amnesiac man-eating wolf-man thrillers and schlocky horror stories that isn't very scary in hindsight, I'd be surprised if more than a few of us people in the werefandom gushes about this, much less acknowledge its existence at all.

Me? I'm just worried that all my gushing for this movie might all be for nothing the minute I realize the whole thing's a bigger dud than expected.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

kitetsu wrote:I hardly see anything "traditional" to the idea of a "traditional werewolf story" to begin with. A story is a story, and a werewolf just happens to be a character with a pretty rich personal history.

That said, it's lamentable just how valid your point is about this potentially being a dud in werewolf media. With people so used to overly-serious pack feud dramas and amnesiac man-eating wolf-man thrillers and schlocky horror stories that isn't very scary in hindsight, I'd be surprised if more than a few of us people in the werefandom gushes about this, much less acknowledge its existence at all.

Me? I'm just worried that all my gushing for this movie might all be for nothing the minute I realize the whole thing's a bigger dud than expected.
Now granted, I don't know any Japanese and I don't know anything about this movie other than what I saw in the trailer. But if I had to guess, I would say that this isn't really a werewolf movie period. Like I said, Japanese legends tend to focus more on bakemono -- animals with the capacity to appear human. So my expectation is that it isn't a werewolf, but rather a "wolf spirit," as it were.

Like InuYasha if it didn't have the Shikon Jewel or any of the crazy-go-nuts demon hunting stuff.

I think the fact that my original point was "lamentable" says more about us than it does the media. Why was everyone so quick to dub this a werewolf movie? I didn't say it would be a dud in werewolf media -- I said it wouldn't have any impact on it.

Because, really, it isn't werewolf media at all. The similarities are there, but I hardly think that's what they were going for at all.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Old article, but relevant anyway.

http://www.neomag.co.uk/art/anime-manga ... f-children
His latest movie is about Hana, a college student who falls in love with a young man who turns out to be a werewolf. They have two kids, Ame and Yuki, but when Hana loses her husband, she leaves their home in the city to try to raise her two lupine kids in the countryside by herself.
So he really did die. Those f*** werewolf poachers. ;__________;
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

WELP, 21 July came around. Got told that it's going to take a looooong while for this to come to DVD and get translated.

Which might mean 2-5 months of waiting. Probably longer.
Sheba
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Shy
Mood: Happy

Post by Sheba »

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

Its funny how the werewolf guy just keeps his normal human voice after he wolved out.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Werewolf »

Yeah I'm looking forward to this anime, looks cute and hopefully a really good story as well :D

I did find these though, they gave them out with the first showing of the film 8)

JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Morkulv wrote:Its funny how the werewolf guy just keeps his normal human voice after he wolved out.
There might be an explanation to that: Based on the blurb, he's the "descendant of ancient Japanese wolves", likely that he's a Youkai or Hanyou, supernatural spirit things or half-spirits.

So the menu on this werewolf film is one of the supernatural cuisine.