Disney owns Star Wars now?

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Disney owns Star Wars now?

Post by Uniform Two Six »

That's -- um -- interesting. Supposedly the day after Eisner (or whoever it was) OK'd the deal, Disney announced that now Lucasfilm was under their control, they're moving forward on a new Star Wars trilogy project. I wonder who they're going to get to direct the silly thing. I'm not sure that I want to see a Star Wars movie without Lucas involved. Okay granted, the last (first?) three weren't as fantastic as the first (last?) three (episodes IV, V, VI), but can you imagine the nightmare that could result if they did things in typical Hollywood fashion? Star Wars Episode VII directed by Michael Bay anyone?
:(
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Re: Disney owns Star Wars now?

Post by FoxKnight »

George Lucas will be working on the new movies and Michael Bay never directed anything involving Disney.

The Corellian trilogy wasn't very good, but they talked enough about it in the original trilogy to warrant the production of it. The Clone Wars animated movie did suck, though. Good thing they didn't make it a numbered episode.

I really hope they do not just start making up new characters and expect us viewers to love them like the original characters. Maybe expand on the bounty hunters and the Madalorian Wars? That'd be really interesting. Another good idea would be to direct them about stories in the comic books, which I've heard are amazing and might repair the Star Wars reputation.

And, this is big news, so I'm kind of surprised no one has posted this topic before o.O
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

FoxKnight wrote:George Lucas will be working on the new movies
Oh, THANK GOD.
FoxKnight wrote: ...and Michael Bay never directed anything involving Disney.
To quote Leonard Nimoy: "For everything, there is a first time". Let us all hope that Disney isn't dumb enough to try to apply that principle to Michael Bay.
FoxKnight wrote:I really hope they do not just start making up new characters and expect us viewers to love them like the original characters.
Actually, I had the exact opposite issue with the prequels. Why the heck did C3-PO need to be in any of those flicks? Greedo? Boba Fett? Chewbaca? Even R2-D2 was a bit of a stretch for me. Aside from Jar Jar, I didn't really have trouble warming up to any of the new characters.
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Post by FoxKnight »

Well, I should have elaborated on that

I meant more like the animated Clone Wars movie where they added Asoka to the mix. She's alright, but I don't really like her...nor that baby Jabba thing

Edit: It appears I was wrong. George Lucas is only a creative assistant for the next movies, or something (haven't really read all of the news). Star Wars VII will be written by the director of Toy Story 3, Michael Arndt, which might be a good thing. No news yet on the director
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

FoxKnight wrote: It appears I was wrong. George Lucas is only a creative assistant for the next movies, or something (haven't really read all of the news). Star Wars VII will be written by the director of Toy Story 3, Michael Arndt, which might be a good thing. No news yet on the director
Harrison Ford is supposedly showing interest in resurrecting Han Solo for the new movie (which might be interesting -- or might truly suck). With regard to the director being up in the air, and Lucas apparently not having much creative input, I'm having a sinking feeling like this is going to be Terminator 3 again.
:(
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Disney has been partnership with Lucasflim since 1986 with the attraction at Disneyland, 'Star Tours.' After its success, many Lucasfilm based attractions such as Indiana Jones Adventure and Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular are found in Disneyland in California and Disney Hollywood Studios at WDW. Now there are many Star Tours found around the each Disney Park around the world! Star Wars Weekends is heavily featured in WDW and now DL. Also, there is a Star Wars Jedi Academy show at Tomorrowland.

The old Star Tours is a classic attraction that brought in many new generations of Star Wars fans during the late 1980's to 1990's. As the old one get replaced with the new Star Tours: The Adventures Continue which first opened at Walt Disney World in May of 2011. The attraction became an instant hit like the original one did.

So, Disney with Lucasflim makes a great partnership and it is good that George Lucas sold it to them. I'm glad he is retiring, perhaps the original Star Wars trilogy unedited can be released on Blu-ray by Disney!
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Lucas said many times in the past that he wouldn't do films VII through IX.

Now he says he has passed Star Wars to a new generation of directors, that it had become "larger than him."

So, what he said was true... From a certain point of view...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Meh. I am already way, way beyond caring about anything Star Wars at this point. Disney might be renowned for its cash-grabbing, especially when it comes to sequelitis, but could they possibly do anything worse to the Star Wars license than. . . Oi. . . This?
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I grant you that the three prequels were not masterworks of the cinematic artform. That said, a game is a whole different kettle of fish. You sort of expect that any game based on a movie will generally suck (and any game based on Kinect just multiplies that factor -- as Fable III has amply demonstrated). If it does, indeed, turn out to be crap, then you are not surprised and there is no major sense of loss. If it's a movie and a sequel to an awesome movie -- and it turns out to suck, any anticipation you might have felt is rewarded with this big letdown. I also think it almost sort of detracts from one's enjoyment of the first movie. The crapulent sequel taints the original installment.

I loved the original three Star Wars movies.
I liked (mostly) the three prequels.
I'm not even going to go see any of the sequels if Michael Bay (or someone equally useless) does them.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Uniform Two Six wrote:I grant you that the three prequels were not masterworks of the cinematic artform. That said, a game is a whole different kettle of fish. You sort of expect that any game based on a movie will generally suck (and any game based on Kinect just multiplies that factor -- as Fable III has amply demonstrated). If it does, indeed, turn out to be crap, then you are not surprised and there is no major sense of loss. If it's a movie and a sequel to an awesome movie -- and it turns out to suck, any anticipation you might have felt is rewarded with this big letdown. I also think it almost sort of detracts from one's enjoyment of the first movie. The crapulent sequel taints the original installment.
True. Though there are some exceptions. And more often than not, those exceptions come by way of movies that are franchises in of themselves.

Star Wars is, in fact, responsible for several exceptions to the rule. Super Star Wars, X-Wing, Rogue Squadron, Knights of the Old Republic, Battlefront, etc. So even though movie games are, as a rule of thumb, mediocre at best, it's not unfair to expect better of the Star Wars license. After all, Star Wars first came to the big screen in the 1970s. It's not like game developers are forced to rush a game out to match a release date.

Still, my point in bringing it up was that it's highly unlikely that Disney will deliver unto the Star Wars license the worst stain in its existence. They would have to try to screw up more phenomenally than LucasArts has on their own already.
I loved the original three Star Wars movies.
I liked (mostly) the three prequels.
I'm not even going to go see any of the sequels if Michael Bay (or someone equally useless) does them.
Well, I've got good news and. . . Well. . . News, I guess. The good news is that Michael Bay will not be directing the sequels.

Instead, they got J.J. Abrams. Who, to his credit, has been a part of some pretty solid movies (Cloverfield, as well as the reboots of Star Trek and Mission: Impossible), but who is much better known for his work on the small screen.

So. . . Honestly, I don't know what to make of that. Except to say, once again, that he can't possibly do anything worse than what's been done to the Star Wars license already.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas wrote: Instead, they got J.J. Abrams.
Well, in that case, I'm cautiously optimistic. I was actually rather taken with the Star Trek reboot (with the sole exception of his perplexing preoccupation with those extremely annoying lens artifact effects -- why is there shiny crap on the lens when Chris Pine is doing nothing more dramatic than walking from one side of the bridge to another? God that was obnoxious.).

If we're lucky, he'll do at least as good a job as Lucas did with episodes I, II, and III (admittedly a low bar, I acknowledge).
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

On that note, latest rumor mill is that J.J. Abrams is directing the next Star Wars franchise movie. If he does both Star Wars and Star Trek, the U.S. Justice Department may have to investigate a monopolization of geekdom.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Just so long as the Jedi don't suddenly gain the ability to "mind-meld". If one is writing at three in the morning and under a tight deadline, it gets easier to cross-contaminate.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Yes, we're looking at you, Mr. President.