Wolf Cop (film). $1M budget.

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Wolf Cop (film). $1M budget.

Post by Uniform Two Six »

"...Dirty Harry -- only hairier..."
The main character is named Lou Garou...
:roll:
Click here. Seriously, you won't believe this thing. Words fail me. Where's Terastas? *grumble, grumble, grumble*...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Re: Wolf Cop (film). $1M budget.

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'll waive my right to remain silent...

Is he K-10 Certified?
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Uniform Two Six wrote:"...Dirty Harry -- only hairier..."
:roll:
Heh...I can top that. :eyeroll3:

:jester:
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Like, I'm afraid to bad-mouth this thing too much because:

A. I haven't seen it yet.
and
B. The guy who came up with it might actually be on the board.

But seriously? How come Brownrigg is screaming for funding, and this guy gets $1M? Even more perplexing: This was apparently a scripting contest -- and this was the best thing submitted? :?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Like, I'm afraid to bad-mouth this thing too much because:

A. I haven't seen it yet.
and
B. The guy who came up with it might actually be on the board.

But seriously? How come Brownrigg is screaming for funding, and this guy gets $1M? Even more perplexing: This was apparently a scripting contest -- and this was the best thing submitted? :?
If he is a member of this board, then he would've picked up a lot of good information. Judging from the title, I seriously doubt it.

Since its a "wolf cop," I wonder if he'll sniff out clues like the female wolf cub in the film "Hotel Transylvania."

Here is the scene I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcG-2QhdLns

:jester:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

"Occasional blackouts" tells you that this is definitely NOT a Pack production. The most it could possibly be is the work of somebody who was a Pack member for a few weeks before storming off in a rage because we were "trying to destroy werewolves."

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is precisely the reason I'm not trying to write Inhuman as any kind of script anymore. While we were trying to write interesting stories about compelling characters and scenarios, they were looking for cheap crap written by gullible idiots. Lowell Dean isn't a talented up-and-coming writer / director. He was just desperate and/or stupid enough to promise them a full werewolf movie on a budget not even half that of Dark Wolf.

Yeah, remember Dark Wolf with its special FX sequences stolen from a PS2 game? That had a budget of 2.5M. Think about everything that was wrong with that movie, then imagine if they didn't even have the capacity to produce half of that. That's what Wolf Cop is going to look like.

So I honestly don't think they picked this guy's script because they thought it was good. Either their strategy is to produce a movie so cheaply that even people who know it will be bad but can't help themselves anyway (let's face it: horror fans are desensitized to having the genre crapped all over to the point that it's practically expected) will be enough to make it profitable, or this is some kind of "Springtime for Hitler" scam where part of the plan involves producing a surefire flop.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

well im gona see this film im not gona judge it just by trailer and budget well for WW design if im curently enjoying watching Teen Wolf(2011- ) i will have no problem with this design so i will watch it and then i will decide if its good movie
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas wrote: Either their strategy is to produce a movie so cheaply that even people who know it will be bad but can't help themselves anyway (let's face it: horror fans are desensitized to having the genre crapped all over to the point that it's practically expected)...
And:
lovec1990 wrote:well im gona see this film im not gona judge it just by trailer and budget well for WW design if im curently enjoying watching Teen Wolf(2011- ) i will have no problem with this design so i will watch it and then i will decide if its good movie
:blink: ...

Okaaaay, well Terastas, I think you've met the target audience, so to speak.

Sorry lovec, I'm going with Terastas on this one. My finely honed sense of smell is picking up the stench of this steaming pile of feces a mile away.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

sorry but i dont quite get it what do you have against this movie.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Uniform Two Six wrote:"...Dirty Harry -- only hairier..."
A corny film title and protagonist name, cooked and buttered up just the same. Nibble it up from one end to the other, bin the waste core and ask for another. When it's all eaten ask what it should be? A low budget feature for mainstream TV.

Sorry, it just...happened :P .

*Adds to his list of media he's unlikely to see* :(

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

lovec1990 wrote:sorry but i dont quite get it what do you have against this movie.
Warning sign #1: It's a comedy horror. Which, more often than not, translates to "bad horror." Unless it's a horror spoof like Scary Movie, a psychological comedy-horror like Red Victoria or a completely over-the-top concept like Sharknado, comedy and horror do not mix outside of Rifftrax.

Warning sign #2: Lou Garou. Unless it's a deliberate spoof of the genre like Shanghai Noon or it's intended to be just a poorly chosen alias like in Identity, no character's name should ever be a pun. I seriously pity Lowell Dean if he thought naming his character that was clever.

Warning sign #3: Budget half that if a laughably terrible movie.

And look, it's okay if you're a sucker for bad movies. . . But you still need to be willing to admit that it's a bad movie. Go see the movie if you want, but don't pretend you expect it to actually be good.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas wrote: And look, it's okay if you're a sucker for bad movies. . .
And on that I absolutely agree. Some of my favorite movies were sort of stinkers. Case in point: Tremors and Big Trouble in Little China. Loved both and they were what a friend of mine once termed "delightfully crappy". I just don't see Wolf Cop ever quite reaching "delightful". I'm having trouble imagining it getting much beyond the "crappy" part.
Seth Fharlay
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Mood: RAR!

Post by Seth Fharlay »

Just to point this out, Cinecoup - the contest this film was entered in - was an Advertising/Concept-Pitching Contest, not a scripting contest; basically, the contest was a "Show us your film ideas and we'll pick which one we'll fund based on your pitching campaign!" That's why this won, not because of the script itself.

That said, I feel this looks like a fun little film - certainly no A-grade movie, but fun none-the-less. I'll probably see it at some point - not in theaters upon its intial domestic release, as I don't live in Canada.

I get that it's not going to particularly memorable or even half-decent, but it should still be a reasonably entertaining distraction for the most part. Besides, this film doesn't look like it's taking it too seriously either and it's for that reason I have no real problem with it. If you don't want to watch it, by all means, don't watch it; and if you don't like it, then that's your opinion, man. As for me, I have a fairly good idea of what I'm going into and I don't mind either way. This is my theory on watching movies: Always leave your brain at the door. Most movies make it worth your while. A great movie makes you bring your brain back. :)
BewareTheFullMoon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by BewareTheFullMoon »

I'm surprised to see that so may people here are against this movie! I think it looks hilarious! Has anyone here seen it yet? Unfortunately, I think the only way I'm going to get to see it is to wait for the USA DVD release.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Apparently it just recently came out. As much as I hate to admit it, this thing may not be as bad as I think we all assumed at first. It uses practical effects instead of CGI, and several reviewers (including Rotten Tomatoes) felt it was actually okay. I'm still having issues actually believing that -- it just sounds too corny (including it's new tag-line "Here comes the fuzz"). I think I'll wait to see it on Netflix.
BewareTheFullMoon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by BewareTheFullMoon »

LOL, yeah but I think they were purposefully going for cheesy and over the top ridiculous. Although I have been known to enjoy terrible movies so I may not be the best person to judge by anyway. (Sharknado anyone?) Anyway, apparently it's done well enough so far that they are planning a sequel. I would be stoked if they had it on Netfilx. :D
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Oh God! You actually -- intentionally watched Sharknado?! :sickpup: I... I... I may not be able to continue this conversation... :splodey:

Also, I had not heard about the sequel... :sickpup:

And I agree: Having this thing on Netflix would be good. Since getting Netflix, I have been slowly reacquainting myself with the (for me) lost art form of crap-movies. For the longest time, I was forced to pay $15 for matinees, and I just stopped going eventually. Now I pay a pittance, and can watch all of the pure-garbage movies I want -- and can actually enjoy doing so since I'm not constantly ruminating about my $15 the whole time.

But I'm still not going to see Sharknado. :P
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Uniform i watched Sharknado and its sequel and had fun watching them
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Did you enjoy Mars Attacks too? :P

Wait a minute... Sharknado has a sequel?! ??
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Uniform i did enjoy mars attack and yes there is a sequel for Sharknado
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

lovec1990 wrote:Uniform i did enjoy mars attack
ACK! ACK! :D
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
lovec1990 wrote:Uniform i did enjoy mars attack
ACK! ACK! :D
??
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Dude, it's the Martian language. :D
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Apparently it just recently came out. As much as I hate to admit it, this thing may not be as bad as I think we all assumed at first. It uses practical effects instead of CGI, and several reviewers (including Rotten Tomatoes) felt it was actually okay. I'm still having issues actually believing that -- it just sounds too corny (including it's new tag-line "Here comes the fuzz"). I think I'll wait to see it on Netflix.
I spotted this on DVD at my local supermarket today....*Grins*. No I didn't get it, but I might. Should I get it and write a review? ?? . Honestly, the box art almost reminds me of the '80s low budget effects flicks. Some small part of me wants to see an intentionally stupid movie :lol: .

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Meh. I like stupid-funny movies, but it's really hard to not miss stupid-funny and hit just-stupid instead. Dragnet is my perfect example of a stupid-fun movie. The Naked Gun is still enjoyable, but it's just beginning to drift into just-stupid territory. I'm having difficulty believing that Wolf Cop is going to avoid that little pitfall...

But by all means, take one for the team and watch this thing for review purposes.

Too bad there aren't any DVD rental places left. Maybe Netflix will have it at some point.
:D