Bitten

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Thylo
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Ruthless

Bitten

Post by Thylo »

Stumbled across this today...looks very very interesting. Syfy has picked this up and will be airing it sometime in 2014.

http://screeners.eonetv.com/production.asp?id=643
"There is no good or evil...there is only power, and those too weak to seek it."
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Bitten

Post by Uniform Two Six »

The plot sounds like the Kelly Armstrong novel by the same name. I didn't think the book was all that great, but maybe Syfy can do something with it and it won't be so -- oh, wait a minute, we're talking about Syfy here. It will probably be about the same quality as other great Syfy werewolf masterworks like Battledogs.
:roll:
Thylo
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Thylo »

It is the adaptation of the book I believe. I've never read the books, but hey...still looks neat.
"There is no good or evil...there is only power, and those too weak to seek it."
Shysf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Shysf »

There is a promo video out for Bitten. the transformation looks well done. http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32585 ... lf-series/
there is also Wolfblood series out too.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It took until Episode 3 before it really got into motion. But, it's worth hanging in there, as you need the background story build-up.

Conceptually, it's the closest thing yet to anything like Freeborn. Werewolves are lead characters and supporting characters, and the "good and evil" bit isn't the one dominant overriding theme. There are enough similarities to Freeborn that on the one hand, it could prove that the time has come, but on the other, there's the risk of "this is just another." Still, Bitten is showing along-side Being Human (the American version) and Lost Girl, both other paranormal shows that also have a lot in common. So, there's obviously plenty of room. And, it's not like we don't have enough vampire shows and movies out there.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Alpha »

Shysf wrote:There is a promo video out for Bitten. the transformation looks well done. http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32585 ... lf-series/
there is also Wolfblood series out too.
Mmm... that's one hot looking she-wolf! :lovestruck: I just wished the werewolves would've been of the bipedal variety, and not the dire wolf kind. Reminds me too much of Twilight.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like they're trying to stick fairly close to the book, and that's how Kelly Armstrong's werewolves are. Besides, it's easier to CGI a wolf than a Crinos/Gestaldt/whatever. It's actually sort of cool: They just put a motion capture harness on a German Shepherd and turn him into a wolf in the computer (behind the scenes on The Day After Tomorrow).
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fredriksam »

I,m following this series. Its quite good. Theres some differences from the book. They dont follow it perfectly, however in some episodes theres more drama than in the book so thats cool. The effects are good. We havent yet seen a complete transformation with tail growing and that but maybe it doesnt matter. Its all good the things we DO see. And a She-Wolf is in it too.

To anyone saying a werewolf on four legs wouldnt be as scary as one on two, well four legged werewolfs can kill and scare people. They just dont look extremly big. I like the idea of that they didnt used twilight kind of wolves. They sometimes looked wrong when they were so big.
Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

I'm loving this series. It's essentially everything I wanted a Werewolf show to be. It feels like Freeborn actually got made. The transformations are fantastic, you can tell they really did the research to get the anatomy stuff right. The CGI wolves don't look too bad and the storyline is fairly compelling. Honestly I think it's my new favorite TV show and definitely my new favorite werewolf series.
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

its very good show i just seen 9th episode im looking foward how will Logan explain too Rachel about what he is
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm afraid I lost interest and stopped watching about the 7th episode. It's un-Freeborn-like in a very critical aspect: the characters weren't that interesting. If you ignored that they were werewolves, they were not particularly memorable. I had the same problem with Defiance, a show about different aliens living in a post-apocalyptic town.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I'm not too far into the first season, so I'll hold off on too much criticism at this point, but yeah... I agree, the characters aren't all that great. Then again, I didn't think much of the characters in the book either. Nonetheless, I'm going to take LunarCarnivore's advice and watch the whole thing (eventually). On a happy note, it's on Netflix and thus, next to free.
:D
BewareTheFullMoon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by BewareTheFullMoon »

I realize this is kinda an older thread but figured I'm put my two cents in (hope that's alright). I just finished watching the whole season on Netflix, and although it was a bit slow to get going I really enjoyed it. It's been a long time since I read the book, but I remember enjoying that as well. Although I wish there were more female werewolves but I guess that is sort of a major plot point for the series. Apparently there is going to be a season two and I have high hopes that it will be good as well. I think the wolves could have looked a little better, but I can over look some of the not quite right animation to finally have a show that is werewolves and not all about vampires. (I've never understood why vampires seem to be more popular) I'm really hoping this will open the door to more shows that would be specifically starring werewolves and not just have them as sort of an afterthought.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

BewareTheFullMoon wrote: (I've never understood why vampires seem to be more popular) I'm really hoping this will open the door to more shows that would be specifically starring werewolves and not just have them as sort of an afterthought.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Vampires are easier (and thus cheaper) to produce since they don't really require all that much in the way of special effects. Cheaper is always a draw with Hollywood.

Well, except when it comes time to fund Michael Bay, for some reason.

EDIT: Please excuse the negative tone of my post. Some of us have gotten a touch cynical regarding Hollywood after watching Freeborn writhing in limbo for ten years.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

we
Uniform Two Six wrote:
BewareTheFullMoon wrote: (I've never understood why vampires seem to be more popular) I'm really hoping this will open the door to more shows that would be specifically starring werewolves and not just have them as sort of an afterthought.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Vampires are easier (and thus cheaper) to produce since they don't really require all that much in the way of special effects. Cheaper is always a draw with Hollywood.

Well, except when it comes time to fund Michael Bay, for some reason.

EDIT: Please excuse the negative tone of my post. Some of us have gotten a touch cynical regarding Hollywood after watching Freeborn writhing in limbo for ten years.
im not sure this is the reason, but i belive its because vampires are mainly depicted as attractive and seductive, whereas werewolves are depicted as hairy beasts. So most people are more drawn towards the vampire's charm and allure, rather than the beastly werewolf.

But there is also Twilight :x
BewareTheFullMoon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Both seem like good reasons to me. I honestly hadn't even considered the cost of producing a good werewolf but now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense that it could cost quite a bit to do them right. I actually was really irritated in the way they did the shifting in Teenwolf, because they pretty much just made him morph into a mean furry elf. I'm sure money factored into that one as well.

I also agree that the choice to make vampires sexy and alluring probably factors a lot into it as well, I just still think it's weird. Maybe it's just me, but I assume that part of the appeal of supernatural creatures and superheros and such, is the fun of imagining what it would be like to be a part of that world and have those powers and abilities. With the case of vampires though, they are still basically reanimated corpses that need to ingest blood to sustain themselves. So even with all the cool powers and attractive people playing them in the media, I still can't help but think of vampirism as a horrible disease that nobody should want, ha ha.

As a side note, I remember hearing about Freeborn several years ago and I'm also bummed to see that it seems to have died off. It seems like the perfect time to produce such a show because people are still gobbling up the supernatural like crazy.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

lovec1990 wrote: But there is also Twilight
What offends you more? Sparkly vampires or Taylor Lautener walking around bare-chested throughout practically the entire thing?
:thpt2:
BewareTheFullMoon wrote:As a side note, I remember hearing about Freeborn several years ago and I'm also bummed to see that it seems to have died off.
It's not dead, but it's essentially in hiatus due to cold feet by investors. The latest issue seems to be that they wanted Brownrigg to do a full transformation scene (arguably the most expensive scene in the movie) out of pocket as a proof-of-concept thing before they'd invest. If we could crowd-fund something like that, what would AB need investors for? But, then again I'm using logic, and this is Hollywood we're talking about here.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
I was discussing this only yesterday with someone I know personally (who's actually a special effects artist funnily enough). We were having a laugh over the "Making of" extra on the Underworld(1) DVD. This poor guy got to stand in front of a camera and gloat how they made the underworld werewolves "Sexy", these greasy grungy blokes who turn into giant frogs with mangy hair and cat-monkey faces, and how they thought they "Pulled it off" (Keep telling yourselves that boys). In contrast, the vampire MO of luring victims with tall dark and handsome, sweeping off their feet with a mixture of power and grace, and then daintily biting their neck, it's all a rather a physically intimate affair when you see it played out on screen. That's the appeal that vampires have had for a long time in films. Werewolves on the other hand, they tear people to shreds, it's not subtle, and while it does share some commonality, it's hardly appealing, let alone in the same way.
Uniform Two Six wrote:*Snip*Well, except when it comes time to fund Michael Bay, for some reason.

Michael Bay. I didn't know who he was till a few weeks ago. The more I see the name, the more I see negative comments, and the more I learn, the more I tend to agree.

*EDIT* Hey Lovec, doesn't a tired old man like me get a chance to edit the misteaks out of my post and sign it first? As much as I admire your enthusiasm, your post pouncing can be really bloody annoying. What if I wanted to pull it? I can't, you're getting in my way you silly sausage.

I sure hope you don't drive a car the same way you respond to posts on here.

The Meeper.
Last edited by Meeper on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

meeper i belive that guys who said sexy are head designer and screenwriter so they were paid too do their job, but if director doesnt like the design it would not be in the film dont you think?

uniform sparkly vampires are worst because there were no werewolfs on screene only mentioned.

EDIT: Meeper i just hate when somebody tells something that isnt true and im sorry i made a mistake myself it was the screenwriter who said it.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Eww, hate, I don't hate, but I do find things mildly tedious, like when someone makes a mountain out of a mole hill :thpt2: .

Even if it wasn't written into his contract to do the interview and have it factored into his paycheck, so what? It's still a reasonable speculation to make. You do a film, plus the "making of" which takes up your time experience and "expert" opinion, you expect to get paid.

Not like it matters to the point I was making anyway.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Meeper wrote:Eww, hate, I don't hate, but I do find things mildly tedious, like when someone makes a mountain out of a mole hill :thpt2: .

Even if it wasn't written into his contract to do the interview and have it factored into his paycheck, so what? It's still a reasonable speculation to make. You do a film, plus the "making of" which takes up your time experience and "expert" opinion, you expect to get paid.

The Meeper.
look meeper i know you dislike how they look and im fine with that, but if you post like that about poor guy being paid for saying that without evidence its kinda provoking for me. and you are right we are going off topic.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

lovec1990 wrote:
Meeper wrote:Eww, hate, I don't hate, but I do find things mildly tedious, like when someone makes a mountain out of a mole hill :thpt2: .

The Meeper.
look meeper i know you dislike how they look and im fine with that, but if you post like that about poor guy being paid for saying that without evidence its kinda provoking for me. and you are right we are going off topic.
Hey, I qualified my comment as some light hearted banter with someone I know. I wasn't presenting it as gospel truth, it was a bit of flippant commentary in private with someone I like to joke around with. It's actually referencing an old joke of professional acting, that after they do something hitherto humiliating for the sake of their craft and profession they comment "They had to pay me to say that.". It's just a joke, amusing smack talk, it wasn't meant to be factual.

I brought it up because that's the way the conversation went, and it fairly introduced my real comment about what's appealing about vampires as compared to werewolves.

As to "That poor guy", did you see the look on his face as he was saying it? I don't think even he believed he just said that, but like a trooper he ran with it. There were a few awkward looking moments in that interview :lol: .

The Meeper.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Hey, Meeper. At least he wasn't having to make that pitch about the "super-lycan" in Awakening. That thing was fugly.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Hey, Meeper. At least he wasn't having to make that pitch about the "super-lycan" in Awakening. That thing was fugly.
well i agree with you on this one uniform
BewareTheFullMoon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Uniform Two Six wrote:Hey, Meeper. At least he wasn't having to make that pitch about the "super-lycan" in Awakening. That thing was fugly.
I actually thought the super lycan looked pretty good. I mean, it wasn't my ideal werewolf, but I've seen a lot worse. I thought the one in Ginger Snaps was pretty gross looking (although I really enjoyed the movie overall). Now that this thread has completely run off the tracks, ha ha...