Loew's to advertise actual movie start times.

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Loew's to advertise actual movie start times.

Post by Akugarou »

Hey! I started a Topic! Only been here a month.. give me a break...

Click link. Read Article. Then read my thoughts afterwards:

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,16483,00.html

There are no Loew's Theaters in my neck of the woods, but I can see other chains running with the idea. This may seem like a good thing, but as an avid moviegoer, I think it sucks.

Yes, ads and previews may be annoying, but not as annoying as people trying to find seats after the house lights have been dimmed in preparation for the feature. I can't count the number of times I've shown up before the lights go down, and found a great seat to view the movie from, only to have some inconsiderate a** park their screaming brats right off my left elbow. Joy level zero. Movie enjoyment lost (at this point, I get evil thoughts of shifting into a werewolf in order to remedy the situation).
:evil:

Thanks for letting me rant. Comments?
Rogue_A
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Der amerikanische Steppenwolf

Post by Rogue_A »

No Loew's either around here. There's one AMC, which the previews aren't so bad aside from when they decide to show advertisements for Fanta (GOD THOSE ADVERTS ARE SO ANNOYING!!!!!). The rest are Regal Entertainment theaters, which unfortunately as I think was stated in the article, has "The Twenty" block which is nothing but 20 straight minutes of advertisements and behind the scenes gobble gook. Luckily they only show "The Twenty" during the evening showtimes. (And I like never go to the movies in the evening, my mother doesn't like nighttime movies and me and my friends don't hook up enough to go see a movie, nor the money.) But...there a few more commercials than what AMC shows.

I could see AMC doing the same as Loew's too, but Regal....yah, they enjoy twisting us with their annoying commercials. And finally, trying to find a seat after the previews start (especially if it's a popular movie)= sucks. Luckily, most people don't park their brats near where me and my mom sit, but trying to find a seat after the previews start is bad because my mom has problems with her night vision and, yes, there's hardly any good seats left. So I think I'll keep on showing up for the annoying previews too.
"In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other."-Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Post by Akugarou »

Rogue_A wrote:advertisements for Fanta (GOD THOSE ADVERTS ARE SO ANNOYING!!!!!).
You mean the ones that go: "Fanta... You wanta?" I'm so happy they don't show those around here anymore.

There are Carmike Theaters here. Where you get a solid 20 minutes of TV ads :cry: and Previews :) . Wheeeeee!!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It's actually been five-or-so years since I was dragged to a big theatre (there's this little old-fashioned $6.00 theatre back in my hometown that I frequent though, though I know everything you are talking about. For some strange reason, some people actually have arguments about where they should sit in the theatre, and for some reason, they always think the middle of center aisle is the best place to discuss this.

And of course, there's the screaming brats you mentioned, which I don't mind nearly as much as the parents that seem completely oblivious to their children's antics. Unless, when that movie starts, I see captions for the hearing impaired at the bottom of the screen, there's no excuse.

And of course, some of the adults are just as bad. People always ask me why I always sit at the absolute back row in either the center seat or against the wall, and I tell them it's because then I won't have to be bothered by the guy that drank a whole gallon of soda thirty minutes before the movie started.

And finally, the ones that go only for social time. There's truly nothing like watching the opening sequence of Gladiator while two highschool freshmen in front of you are talking smutty to each other.

So when Madagascar and Freeborn hit theatres, I'll only contribute my statistics to it's first-week ratings at the latest showing available.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Well, you guys should already know why I don't go to the theaters by now. I wait for the DVD. :D

But I WILL see Freeborn when it hits the theaters. I don't want to miss out on all the fun when everyone here starts chatting about it. I'm also tempted to see see Star Wars Ep. 3 on the big screen (Still waiting for the secret decoder ring.)