An idea I had fro Evil Dead 4.

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

An idea I had fro Evil Dead 4.

Post by Dreamer »

Well, I was just wondering, if the Necronomicon in the Evil Dead series si the same as the one in LOvecraft's stories (At least from what I've heard), couldn't that be used in a possible Evil Dead 4?
I mean, think about it. Wouldn't Ash VS the whole Pantheon of Lovecraftean Dieties be awesome? Maybe they could even finda connection between the Deadites and the Ghouls from Pickman's model.
XIV
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

Some how i feel that thats close at hand. i sure hope it's true and not my mind going out the window. :lol:
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Re: An idea I had fro Evil Dead 4.

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Dreamer wrote:Well, I was just wondering, if the Necronomicon in the Evil Dead series si the same as the one in LOvecraft's stories (At least from what I've heard)
It isn't. Raimi came up with the name before knowing about Lovecraft's Necronomicon. That's what I heard, anyway... And they also do completely different things.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Re: An idea I had fro Evil Dead 4.

Post by Dreamer »

ravaged_warrior wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Well, I was just wondering, if the Necronomicon in the Evil Dead series si the same as the one in LOvecraft's stories (At least from what I've heard)
It isn't. Raimi came up with the name before knowing about Lovecraft's Necronomicon. That's what I heard, anyway... And they also do completely different things.
But, didn't the deadites come up because of the evil spirit summoned by the Necronomicon (At least that's what I know from Evil Dead 2)? And since Lovecraft's Necronomicon contains instructions on how to summon The Great Old Ones, Yog-Sototh and other Lovecraftean deities, one could conclude that the spirit may have been a Lovecraftean diety not mentioned in the writings of HP Lovecraft.

Also, before you judge whether an Evil Dead 4 consisting of Ash versus the Lovecraftean Pantheon would be a good idea, I lieave you with this image: Ash Chainsawing Cthulthu. End of story
XIV
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

There actually was a book called the Necronomicon, according to what I've read...It was supposedly a book of spells for Necromancy: ie; raising the dead from their graves.
It was writen by an Italian in the late 1500's-and I do not (dammit) remember the guy's name.

As for Lovecraft; why would a "mad sheikh" write a Latin-named text, anyway? That always bugged me.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

RedEye wrote:There actually was a book called the Necronomicon, according to what I've read...It was supposedly a book of spells for Necromancy: ie; raising the dead from their graves.
It was writen by an Italian in the late 1500's-and I do not (dammit) remember the guy's name.
I literally posted that earlier tonight then after more researching I also saw sites that said such a thing never existed so I took it down. I guess lots and lots of research is needed. :P
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

RedEye wrote:There actually was a book called the Necronomicon, according to what I've read...It was supposedly a book of spells for Necromancy: ie; raising the dead from their graves.

As for Lovecraft; why would a "mad sheikh" write a Latin-named text, anyway? That always bugged me.
Um, the Necronomicon was originally written in Arabic. It's just that the arabic copy was lost, and that it was translated into Latin.
XIV
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Wikipedia to the rescue again!!!! Directly quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necronomicon :

The Necronomicon is a fictional book from the stories of horror writer H. P. Lovecraft. It was first mentioned in Lovecraft's 1924 short story "The Hound", written in 1922, though its purported author, the "Mad Arab" Abdul Alhazred, had been quoted a year earlier in Lovecraft's "The Nameless City".[1] Among other things, the work contains an account of the Old Ones, their history, and the means for summoning them.

Other authors such as August Derleth and Clark Ashton Smith also cited it in their works; Lovecraft approved, believing such common allusions built up "a background of evil verisimilitude." Many readers have believed it to be a real work, with booksellers and librarians receiving many requests for it; pranksters have listed it in rare book catalogues, and one smuggled a card for it into the Yale University Library's card catalog.[2]

Capitalizing on the notoriety of the fictional volume, real-life publishers have printed many books entitled Necronomicon since Lovecraft's death.
Zombie
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ribbed For Her Pleasure

Post by Zombie »

Allthough Im a huge fan of the ED series and Bruce Campbell, ED-4 isnt going to happen. Bruce has gone on record many times saying that he will not do another ED unless Sam Raimi is the director, and Rami has no interest in reviving the series. Bruce also said that the apocoliptic "alternate" ending was the right one for the series, and not the return to the hardware store.

-Z
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Doruk Golcu wrote:Wikipedia to the rescue again!!!!
Wikipedia is not necessarily always right. And Im hesitant to believe it because it seems that if there was a real Necronomicon before Lovecraft, its not common knowledge. And if it is not common knowledge, its not likely to be on Wikipedia. No offense to you; I always jump onto Wikipedia myself, it's just this time I was sure there was one.

Searching google brings up a few links about a book before HP Lovecraft but who really knows? Websites arent quite the same thing as records.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

I absolutely agree that wikipedia is quite often not an accurate source, although it seems better moderated nowadays, so no offense taken. However, in this respect it is rather hard to distinguish fact from fiction since there would be a lot of Lovecraft-inspired works that people would try to sell as being 'the real Necronomicon'. Our best bet would be to consult an expert, but who knows that would be?