My thoughts on "The Mist"

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

My thoughts on "The Mist"

Post by PariahPoet »

I shall now assassinate Stephen King.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

What would be an F minus?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

so it sucks just like I anticipated. Stephen king really needs to retire, hes past hes prime. :P
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

:? What was wrong with it? I thought it was quite good, with a great, albeat depressing, twist at the end. Was the twist the reason you hated it?
XIV
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

After watching this movie, you will want to claw your own eyes out then light your brain on fire while hanging yourself with a live electrical line over a tank of rabid sharks.

It is THAT wretchedly depressing and miserable.

The only good thing I have to say about it is it has cool creatures. But for the love of Bast, leave the theatre five minutes before it ends. Because not only is the ending horrible, but you see it coming from a mile away.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Shadow Wulf wrote:so it sucks just like I anticipated. Stephen king really needs to retire, hes past hes prime. :P
...and they're attacked by an evil...uh....LAMP MONSTER!
OOOOH! WOOOOO!
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

I will view this film once released on DVD, and will most likely dislike it do to the poor ending, I am never a fan of poor depressing endings.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I am cursed with picking bad movies.

It all started when I bought Wicker Man, and I have just made one awful decision after another-
Premonition, Pan's Labyrinth, Bridge to Terabithia, The Mist...

The only decent movie I have rented or gone to see in the past year was Ratatouille.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

I am renting movies with Netflix, Ratatouille was great, Premonition did not have the ending I was looking for, I saw Bridge to Terabithia......... what kind of ending was that?
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

PariahPoet wrote:I am cursed with picking bad movies.

It all started when I bought Wicker Man, and I have just made one awful decision after another-

The only decent movie I have rented or gone to see in the past year was Ratatouille.
Dude, you didn't like Pan's Labyrinth?! :o
I thought it was great! :D Love the faun.

Which Wicker Man did you get? The crappy remake that was unintentially funny? Or the good 70s version? :D
(Did love Ratatouille and hated Premonition as well)

On-topic- I usually always wait for a movie to come on dvd before I watch it. I'll see it then. (I must watch all horror movies :P :wink: )
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Pan was just depressing too. It was a good movie for what it was, but it wasn't what I had hoped.
I thought it would have more cool creatures and stuff. And I never like depressing movies. Life is depressing enough as it is. Image
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

PariahPoet wrote:It all started when I bought Wicker Man, and I have just made one awful decision after another-
The scary thing about this is that three of those movies are in my personal "have had them widely recommended to me and really must see them some time" list. Should I start being a bit more wary of what my friends recommend to me?
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Pan's Labyrinth was overrated. Some people dont like downer endings..i assume pariah didnt like it for that reason...but the Mist was actually entertaining. Hell, it was directed by frank darabont! He directed the green mile and Shawshank redemption ( which is on many movie lists as the #1 film of choice.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

My problem is there was no catharsis in the movie. You feel like crap through the whole thing and you continue feeling like crap as you walk out. I knew half an hour beforehand that they were one short. Had they had enough, it would have just been ironic and you'd think "Man, that sucks" and move on. But as it was, I walked out of the theatre wanting to kill myself out of sympathy....:P
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

though i did like when the crazy lady got shut up for good. man when that happened the whole theator cheerd with an ancore. :lol:
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Heh, yeah, same in our theatre. ^^
That's another thing that annoyed me though, there were no decent religious people. I mean, I guess the rope guy kinda was, but it made it look like all religious people would be irrational and evil in a crisis.

I really liked the old lady and the nerdy grocery guy though. :)
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

hmm... I have to try and see this movie when I can...I'm sure some like it, and some don't, just depends one who your are, and what you like. :)
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Shadow Wulf wrote:so it sucks just like I anticipated. Stephen king really needs to retire, hes past hes prime. :P
hey I liked 1408
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

PariahPoet wrote:After watching this movie, you will want to claw your own eyes out then light your brain on fire while hanging yourself with a live electrical line over a tank of rabid sharks.
Stephen King is like Boring Manilow...he found a plot that worked and just kept using it. Again and again and again... :P

I'll rent it. That way, I can:
>Sit in my comfy chair.
>Eat Pizza and drink Beer.
>Smoke my Pipe
>And make sarcastic comments about the picture all I want.

Really, Pariah-you should try my system. You miss all the fun stuff lilke the yelling kids, the wet baby one row down, the eardrum-busting volume, and the overpriced semi-stale popcorn; but we all must make sacrifices now and then.

:lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

lol, I usually do, but for Premonition I begrudge the meager two bucks I paid to rent it at the red box. :P
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Blue-eyes in the dark wrote:though i did like when the crazy lady got shut up for good. man when that happened the whole theator cheerd with an ancore. :lol:
Same in mine. In fact, I was one of those cheering.
XIV
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

*ahem* maybe I need to present a bit perspective here, so long rant ahead... First of all, I haven't seen the movie yet, but read the novella that it is based on, and it was quite decent, in fact, probably one of the more interesting stories by SK. It was also first published in 1980, just at the point when he was publishing his best works (for example, The Stand 1978, Pet Sematary 1983, It 1986, go wikipedia!!!). Meaning, I do NOT think that any storyline crappiness is necessarily the fault of recent drop in SK's quality in writing (which there has been some, or quite a bit, I agree, I was quite a bit disappointed by the ending of the Dark Tower, for example). However, he has had a track record of crappy movie adaptations, with maybe only one or two counter-examples (The Shining and Green Mile?). I don't know how the ending of the movie was, but the book ended open, so please share behind some spoiler tag, if you don't mind :wink: Of course, this was a somewhat depressing story, with the open ending making it perhaps more so, so if being depressing is an all-around negative criteria for you (I dislike depressing movies myself, I loved Pan's Labyrinth, bought the DVD, but can't bring myself to watch it again :P), then it might be true that it wasn't for you in the first place. All I am saying is, don't be too quick to blame Stephen King for the faults of the movie, which may or may not be his (but boy, didn't the ending of Dark Tower suck?).
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

What Doruk said... Good thing I saw it, I was just about to say it myself.
Doruk Gulcu wrote:with maybe only one or two counter-examples (The Shining and Green Mile?)
The majority do suck, yes... But I think that's putting the number a little low, isn't it? I mean I thought that these ones were good:

Carrie
Creepshow (kind of... I liked The Crate)
The Dead Zone (the compression and changes were a little annoying, but it was excellent and it had Christopher Walken)
Stand By Me
Pet Sematary (I'm in the minority here, I know...)
Misery (one of the best... didn't capture the tone of the book completely, but was still very good)
The Shawshank Redemption (the best)
The Green Mile
Secret Window (it's not great, but it wasn't the worst thing ever)
1408 (I really like this one, I'm not sure what people's problem with it is)

Still not a good track record for adaptations, but really, no author has that. As for this movie... I hope I like it. So far I think I've heard mixed reviews.

I left out The Shining because I don't like it.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I'm not saying the entire thing was bad. Actually, the whole thing was great until the last five minutes. The end just ruined the whole thing for me.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to our spoiler tag option?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

The spoiler tag is still there, its on the very right.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image