My thoughts on "The Mist"

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

ravaged_warrior wrote:What Doruk said... Good thing I saw it, I was just about to say it myself.
Doruk Gulcu wrote:with maybe only one or two counter-examples (The Shining and Green Mile?)
The majority do suck, yes... But I think that's putting the number a little low, isn't it? I mean I thought that these ones were good:

Carrie
Creepshow (kind of... I liked The Crate)
The Dead Zone (the compression and changes were a little annoying, but it was excellent and it had Christopher Walken)
Stand By Me
Pet Sematary (I'm in the minority here, I know...)
Misery (one of the best... didn't capture the tone of the book completely, but was still very good)
The Shawshank Redemption (the best)
The Green Mile
Secret Window (it's not great, but it wasn't the worst thing ever)
1408 (I really like this one, I'm not sure what people's problem with it is)

Still not a good track record for adaptations, but really, no author has that. As for this movie... I hope I like it. So far I think I've heard mixed reviews.

I left out The Shining because I don't like it.
Ah yes, the problem is that I didn't watch many of these, because the ones I did watch weren't very good. The two that I mentioned were the ones that I do hear most often mentioned as being good, I fell victim to hearsay *dies horribly and painfully*
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

MattSullivan wrote:Pan's Labyrinth was overrated. Some people dont like downer endings..i assume pariah didnt like it for that reason....
Shoot, it wasnt a downer ending! It was bittersweet. She got where she was going...just not in the conventional way. I thought that movie was gruesome but very beautiful. I would watch it more often if it didnt have subtitles. Its one of my favorites! Oh when Pan gives her that second chance! :love: Then again, Im a sucker for faeries...

As for the Mist, I havent yet seen it. I'd be more likely to rent it. I dont know why Stephen King is so renowned. I mean he is a very cool guy but it's basically the same stuff over and over. His stuff works better on the made for tv movie sci-fi channel movies.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

SW-
Hmm...the board seems to not like Firefox. My options end at URL.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Im using Firefox and I see the Spoiler tag way on the right. I dont know if its because Im a mod.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Sounds like a pretty good possibility.

Any of my fellow peons not see it?
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

PariahPoet wrote:Actually, the whole thing was great until the last five minutes. The end just ruined the whole thing for me.
Just saw a review where one of the reviewers said that the ending was different from the book. The assassination of Stephen King would be unwarranted.

And I don't see the tag, either...
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Ooh thats not good; spoiler tag for mods only? I'll talk to joker and Kaebora about this.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

I am not a mod but I do see a spoiler tag... I will try with Mozilla when I am on my other computer that has it.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I don't see it using IE either.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I have seen the Spoiler tag since I first signed on here. Are you seeinig the black border at the far right of the reply panel? Is the slider at the bottom of the screen all the way over? Different systems will get different screenwidths; heck; that happens even here, sometimes.
Check the bottom of your window for a slider, if you can't find the Spolier.

Now, we were talking about Stephen King...weren't we?

One of the problem with King's work is that he is not very film friendly in his novels, necessitating re-writes by some studio hack. That is where the problems start: then add a director that just Knows he can do better than Stephen King at storytelling, and finally an actor that "Interprets" the character (Stanislavsky should have stayed home!).
What you wind up with is pretty much proof that too many cooks spoil the movie.
For another example, I offer Heinlein's "Starship Troopers". Read the book, then watch the movie; and try to spot where they agree. :lol:
[spoiler]They Don't![/spoiler]
King, for all his predictability, at least lets us down gently. The Stand-whether it's the "original" or the "lost pages" version, is predictable from about page fifteen.
Face it: He's a good Genre' Writer whose works just don't film right. Nothing new about that. Hollywood will not learn that the writer is the storyteller, not the director.
And yes; I suspect he's run out of ideas for his winner plot. :roll:
Last edited by RedEye on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I am not that dense, I know to look over.
How about a screenshot?
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

The entire screen is different from the one I have-and had ever since the first sign-on.
What you have looks what I get before I sign in. Wierd. ??
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Just changed my Board Style from CounterStrike Expanded. I just changed it to bsrf and the spoiler tag is there now... As well as the Quick Reply box. I forgot we ever had one.

Well, problem diagnosed. Is there any chance of these features being added to the CounterStrike Expanded style? I like it more.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

And my screen just widened by 20 %. Something's up here.
Try the Quick Reply button to get it at the bottom of the current page.

Wierd stuff happening here.

Maybe Steven King is changing the board styles! :lol:
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Ugh....bsrf gives me a headache. X(
What is the likelihood of just fixing the other theme?
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Ok, well anyway, here's the spoiler if you want it-

What is in the mist-

[spoiler]Lots of creepy demon things, including giant evil locusts, buzzard-bats, mariposa, and a giant tentacle monster as big as a skyscraper. Oh, and giant creepy spiders.
[/spoiler]

Where did the mist come from?

[spoiler]A military base on the mountain decided to open a 'window' to check out other dimensions, but accidentally let in a butt-ton of these monsters.[/spoiler]

The story (plus the anding that I hate)[spoiler]

There's a storm, a guy takes his kid into town to buy stuff to fix his house and leaves his wife at home. They are in the grocery store when the mist comes in. A few guys see a kid killed in the back by a giant tentacle, but nobody believes them. A crazy lady starts preaching that the mist is the judgement of God. Some people go outside and everyone sees them get killed, so now everyone knows there are monsters in the mist. The crazy lady gets a following and blames the protagonist. She demands to have his son to sacrifice to get rid of the mist. An old lady konks crazy lady on the head with a can of peas. (not really important to the story, just funny :lol: ) The main guy and a small group of people fight to get free of the crazy lady's mob and kill her in the process. This group (consisting of the guy, his son, a blonde bimbo, an old guy, and the old lady), makes it to the guy's truck and they drive as far as they can with what gas he has. (all the while in my head I'm screaming "You morons! Debit cards and pay-at-the-pump gas stations are your friend!". They run out of gas and they're still not clear of the mist. They have a gun in the car, but only 4 bullets. The guy shoots the old couple, the bimbo, and his son but doesn't have a bullet for himself. He gets out of the car to let the monsters eat him, and in 30 seconds a tank rolls by and the mist clears to show humans bombing the crap out of the monsters.[/spoiler]
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Ouch... that is a much worse ending than the book indeed, IMHO... [spoiler]We don't see them get clear of the mists in the book either, but the main guy thinks he heard something on the radio, the name of a place, and the story ends with him whisperin 'Hope' to his sons ear.[/spoiler] Roughly the diametric opposite of the message of the movie, it seems :P
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Dangit! Stupid Hollywood screwing up a perfectly decent story!
I'm adopting the "real" ending. :P
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

You will love it and hug it and call it 'George'?
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Yes I shall! :D
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Wow, this film really did have a horrible ending.

This is a film that badly requires an alternate ending.
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

Just watched it a few days ago and thought it was okay . . . interesting concept but they could of had done a better job in some areas, other then that Ollie was kick a**!
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech