My list of sad movies.

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

My list of sad movies.

Post by fredriksam »

Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

There are only three movies I can remember honest-to-god bawling over, one of which you've already listed: Big Fish.

The other two were Pom Poko and Powder.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I dont think I've ever done any heavy crying during a movie. But misty eyed/a few tears, yes. :D
-Titanic
-The Plauge Dogs
-Edward Sissorhands
-Bridge to Terabithia(they made that look like such a happy kid movie too :P )
-A Dog of Flanders(anime version)
(Watched the old live-action one a couple months after watching this one. It got to the end and I was expecting the same ending and started getting all misty eyed again. But then it ended up being a happy version. Just got mad then. lol)

Thats all that I can think of right now...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Stand By Me. To this day a big influence on my own work.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

The Notebook (Need I say more)
Chonicles of Narnia The Lion, the Witch, the Wardrobe
Life is Beautiful (Kills me every time)
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Homeward Bound (When Sassy goes over the waterfall, and the scene when Shadow gives up)
What Dreams May Come (Most of the movie)
Artificial Intelligence: AI (Please blue fairy... make me into a real boy.)
Bicentennial Man (Became real, and died like a human.)
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by *nagowteena* »

what was it...I think it was called The World According to Garp

love that move, it's so sad.

and The Theory of Flight

that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

EDIT: I looked through all of my DVD's and video tapes and found more...

Braveheart
Eight Below

what els....
Where the Red Fern Grows
Patch Adams
Old Yeller
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Terastas wrote:...and Powder.
Oh my. Thats a very sad movie!

Pan's Labyrinth always makes me cry when the faun tells her that she messed up and can never come back and is stuck in the human world. Along with several other parts in the movie.

By the way, fredriksam, I love how you always alphabetize things. :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

The cat sequence of Allgo Non Troopo got me all teary.

I also cried at the end of Premonition. Right when I realized I wasted an hour and 40 minutes of my life :wink:
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

"Flight of the Fireflies" was pretty sad. The two kids struggling to the very end.

"Angela's Ashes" One word....Depression

"Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" It was a tragedy that the two lovers could not be together and the youth jumping over mountain top, as you don't know exactly what happens, whether the magic was real enough for a wish to be granted for such a fantasy world as that.

"Last of the Mohegans" This was a very emotional movie at the end. A son is lost as the father walks his final days knowing that his people have been extinguished.

"The Last Samurai" It was a terrible battle between tradition and progression. And knowing the history around the actual people, I know that he did die from his wounds on his trip back to America. Gun powder poisoning was common in those days, especially from those types of weapons. One shot would kill you without amputation.

"My Left Foot" An artist loses his hands, the source of all his income and ability to paint powerful images, and has to learn how to make due with what he has left.
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

Silverclaw wrote:The cat sequence of Allgo Non Troopo got me all teary.

I also cried at the end of Premonition. Right when I realized I wasted an hour and 40 minutes of my life :wink:
I agree with you there that wasn't worth my dime. :D :lol:
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Avareis wrote:"My Left Foot" An artist loses his hands, the source of all his income and ability to paint powerful images, and has to learn how to make due with what he has left.
Wasn't it instead that he was born with a severe form of cerebral palsy that left him with a speech impediment and unable to move anything but his left leg? I actually thought that was kind of touching and lighthearted.

Hmm. . . It didn't necessarily make me cry, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest yet.

And I'll confess that, yes, I did get a little teary-eyed during the second hospital scene in The Eye. You know, the one with Yingying? That will stick with me for life.
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

Temp's list of movies that guys can get choked up watchin':

Brian's Son
Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart
Old Yeller
The End of Gladiator
Remember the Titans
The Natural
Field of Dreams

Dogs, War and sports.
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

One picture had me bawling, practically- at the end.

It was "Mists of Avalon", when Avalon faded away, to be replaced with the invader's religion.

Yeah, I'm Pagan. The sense of loss in that scene is overwhelming. Everybody's loss...not just Arthur's and Morgan's.

Everybody's... :(
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth »

Sad movies...

The Lion King: When Mufasa died, i was about 5 when i saw this movie and i absolutely balled my eyes out

Braveheart: FREEDOM!!!

Bridge to Terabithia: I thought it was a fantasy movie... me wrong :(

King Arthur: The Clive Owen As Arthur version... When Tristan died

Dog Soldiers: The Sarge sacrificing himself and taking out most of the Werewolves

I'll try and think of somemore
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Grave of the Fireflies
:(
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

You've already covered most of the ones that came to mind offhand. Let's not forget Pan's Labyrinth.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Bridge to Terabithia: I thought it was a fantasy movie... me wrong :(
Most people agree that it was marketed completely wrong.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Scott Gardener wrote:Let's not forget Pan's Labyrinth.
I already mentioned it but glad to see that you agree. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

'Der Untergang' is by far the most depressing movie I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

I also thought the movie 'Alone in the Dark' was sad, but thats a other kind of 'sad'. :D Not recommended, obviously.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Nobody has mentioned Citizen Kane.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

ravaged_warrior wrote:Nobody has mentioned Citizen Kane.
I never saw that as being sad. Yeah, the last image of the only happy moment in his life was when he played with his slay, Rosebud. It's not exactly a spoiler if anyone didn't see it. But yes, it was a sad movie.

One movie I remember as being sad was Cocoon 2. After the old man's wife saved a kid from being hit by a car she ends up in a near death comma. The old man, who knows he's dying of cancer, gives some of the alien life force so that she can live as long as him, but then decides to give it all to her so that she can live a better life. She wakes up. There's a sad scene, as she realizes what he did for her. The old man dies by her bedside.
There are other sad elements in this movie. There usually is with movies about the elderly.

Another movie that no one has ever mentioned to my surprise is Million Dollar Baby. It's a type of movie that you only want to watch once. It's such a good movie. It's quite the emotional roller coaster in the end. Tragic.
Another movie that has boxing in it is the last Rocky movie. I thought that was kind of sad, the issue with his wife and a fighter realizing that he is old. He was living in a dream that he couldn't get out of. He stuck to doing something he was born to do. Fighters fight, no matter the age.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I never saw that as being sad. Yeah, the last image of the only happy moment in his life was when he played with his slay, Rosebud. It's not exactly a spoiler if anyone didn't see it. But yes, it was a sad movie.
Well, to be fair, I only got to see the end, where

SPOILERS!

his wife gets fed up and leaves him, he fires his best friend, and he dies alone and unhappy. And THEN they bring out the sled and burn it without anyone being able to understand what Kane had meant. No, it isn't an out and out crying sad movie, but the final third of the film is depressing and anticlimactic. It was very well done, however.

End spoilers.

I really need to see the entire thing at some point.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Avareis wrote:I never saw that as being sad. Yeah, the last image of the only happy moment in his life was when he played with his slay, Rosebud. It's not exactly a spoiler if anyone didn't see it. But yes, it was a sad movie.
Not that this is a debate thread, but I think the significance of the sled was his childhood innocence -- the time before he'd had any exposure to the worlds of business and politics. The sled was just the one thing he had left of his childhood, so it might've also signified that he was still lost in a consumerist mindset when he died.

Thing is that the whole movie is an obituary, so it's not really that sad to watch. It's not a spoiler to say that Kane dies in the movie. :grinp:
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Terastas wrote:
Avareis wrote:I never saw that as being sad. Yeah, the last image of the only happy moment in his life was when he played with his slay, Rosebud. It's not exactly a spoiler if anyone didn't see it. But yes, it was a sad movie.
Not that this is a debate thread, but I think the significance of the sled was his childhood innocence -- the time before he'd had any exposure to the worlds of business and politics. The sled was just the one thing he had left of his childhood, so it might've also signified that he was still lost in a consumerist mindset when he died.

Thing is that the whole movie is an obituary, so it's not really that sad to watch. It's not a spoiler to say that Kane dies in the movie. :grinp:
Citizen Kane is a Must See if you want to understand the artform of Making Movies...not just critiquing them. So is the surprise flick called "Casablanca" (It was just a "B" movie when it came out). "African Queen" is another masterpiece of cinema, as is "Lonely are the brave".

Citizen Kane held the record for the longest continuous pull-focus scene in any picture, ever. It still holds that record for Black and White pictures.
It was directed by Orson Welles ( who also starred as Kane) and financed by Howard Hughes.

Black and White pictures are the most difficult film format, in that you must hint at colors with gray-tones, and the actors have to be good: there is no distraction from "mood-colors" to set the atmosphere in the picture. It has to be the acting that does it. Black and White is a separate art-form compared to color pictures, and the two do NOT mix well.

I offer as example: any motion picture in Color watched on a black-and- white TV comes off as "missing something"; while a picture made in black-and-white views as complete and intact.
Those of you who like movies as an ART form, try some of the old black-and-white offerings; you'll see what I mean.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...