Cloverfield Yeah awesome movie!!!!!!!!

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Cloverfield Yeah awesome movie!!!!!!!!

Post by fredriksam »

Right now i,m not home. Where i am? In australia with a friend. Last night we saw a screening of the newest movie Cloverfield. The movie premires 18 january (tomorrow) in Usa, but it premired in Australia a few days earlier. My girlfriend says hi, shes here too.

Anyway. This is not a movie you go and see if you cannot handle shaky cameras and that kind of stuff. Even i felt a little dizzy afterwards. Anyway it was a rocking great good movie that i KNOW many will enjoy.

It has a wicked cool monster. The movie is about some guys in New York that have a party. One of them is going to work in Japan. Thy have a nice time. Then suddenly the ground shakes and the power go off.

Later the power comes on again, they go out and suddenly the head of the staue of liberty comes crashing down. They see something monstrous coming at them. The rest of the movie is about them trying to survive or die.

All is filmed with shaky hand camera. Like it was in Blair witch, but in this it happens ALOT more stuff. Dont worry i wont spoil it for you.

There were scenes i jumped high when i saw them, because they were so damn scary. LOL a little change of underpants and it was nice.

This is one to watch in the cinema, trust me on this!!!!
Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

The ad campaign for this movie sort of pissed me off. They gave out only a little bit of information at first and then instead of giving out more information they tried to lead everyone who was paying attention to it through a load of nonsensical crap that didn't have anything to do with... well, anything. In fact, the only new bit of information given after the first trailer was the second trailer months later. Anyone who ignored it up until that point had the right idea.

It does look like a decent movie, though, I'll give it that much.

By the way, will the movie not be as good if you see the monster beforehand? Because I just saw a sketch of it.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

It pissed me off too. I don't think it built any hype either. After the deal with the Blare Witch Project you kind of get tired of that sort of thing. It gets kind of boring. At least you jumped in the movie. I'm sure it's a good flick to watch and enjoy though.
I'll see it, but only if I have a free rental. Other than that I can't say I'd spend 15 US dollars to pay for a ticket. Yeah, that's how much it costs where I live.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Why on Earth would it piss you off? It's making you TALK about it, hence, it's a successful and EFFECTIVE campaign. if any of you worked in marketing you'd do whatever it takes to sell yer product.

Yes. Cloverfield should be fun. I'm seeing it tomorrow. Can't wait!
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

But I didn't talk about it. At most I talked about it with people who had already looked at it themselves. The only reason I haven't given up on it entirely is because it does, in fact, look like a pretty cool movie. I followed the ad campaign for about a month before I realized that they weren't giving out information, they were just bullshitting everyone with sites like Slusho.jp and even the official site, 1-18-08.com, which they slowly updated with pointless crap like flipping the pictures to see messages that didn't mean anything. It just seemed obnoxious. I understand the trailer part of it, getting people interested because they don't know what it is and they would think about it and guess, but what was the point of everything else? Seriously, if you're gonna pull that kinda crap, make it relevant. If they had released relevant stuff it would have been cool.

What I'm trying to say is that if you followed Cloverfield (another thing, they made a big deal out of not saying what the title was and it turned out to be something people were calling it within the first week) at all during the time between the first trailer and the second trailer you wasted your time and learned nothing about the movie, and that's what pissed me off.

Kind of an unfortunate connotation for such a cool looking movie.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

"It just "SEEMED" obnoxious"

As opposed to really being obnoxious? You gotta clarify.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Ugh....when will they let the shaky camera style die? That irritates me no end. I get motion-sick at any movie I go see because a combination of very poor eyesight(even with corrective lenses), and a very sharp sense of balance gives me a hair-trigger when it comes to motion seeing/not feeling.
Making a movie like a home video is not clever, it just leaves me cursing you while throwing up in the bathroom and missing the movie I paid for.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Re: Cloverfield Yeah awesome movie!!!!!!!!

Post by Anubis »

fredriksam wrote:Right now i,m not home. Where i am? In australia with a friend. Last night we saw a screening of the newest movie Cloverfield. The movie premires 18 january (tomorrow) in Usa, but it premired in Australia a few days earlier. My girlfriend says hi, shes here too.

Anyway. This is not a movie you go and see if you cannot handle shaky cameras and that kind of stuff. Even i felt a little dizzy afterwards. Anyway it was a rocking great good movie that i KNOW many will enjoy.

It has a wicked cool monster. The movie is about some guys in New York that have a party. One of them is going to work in Japan. Thy have a nice time. Then suddenly the ground shakes and the power go off.

Later the power comes on again, they go out and suddenly the head of the staue of liberty comes crashing down. They see something monstrous coming at them. The rest of the movie is about them trying to survive or die.

All is filmed with shaky hand camera. Like it was in Blair witch, but in this it happens ALOT more stuff. Dont worry i wont spoil it for you.

There were scenes i jumped high when i saw them, because they were so damn scary. LOL a little change of underpants and it was nice.

This is one to watch in the cinema, trust me on this!!!!
let me ask you this,

do we get to see the freaking monster!! ?
Last edited by Anubis on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE GAME

My Armory
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

ravaged_warrior wrote:By the way, will the movie not be as good if you see the monster beforehand? Because I just saw a sketch of it.
I don't think so. I've already spoken with someone that saw the midnight showing who said seeing the monster was the biggest letdown of the movie because it looked "kinda' retarded." So to answer your question Anubis, yes, you do get to see the freaking monster, but it's that damn shaky home camera, so you'll only get glimpses of it. :P

So I'm going to pass on this one too, both because it looks like all the secrecy wasn't worth it, and because I'll be in the bathroom stall right next to Pariah puking up my milk duds. That home video style is OK for home theater, but on the big screen, it's a migraine.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, CLO-O-O-O-O-VERFIELLLLLLLLLLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:scream: :VERYcaf: :scream: :VERYcaf: :scream: :VERYcaf: :scream: :VERYcaf: :scream: :VERYcaf: :scream: :VERYcaf: :scream: :VERYcaf:

Sorry for the caps and multiple exclamation points but this movie elicits no less. It's a tour-de-force. Fredriksam speaks the entire, untrammeled, crystal-clear truth.

I caught the midnight showing last night with some friends and it was four hours before my heart-rate went back to normal enough to sleep, and I still tossed and turned for an hour after melatonin and lights out. I'm still kind of twitchy, almost twelve hours later.

The monster is unspeakably cool, hideous and after a fashion, incredibly elegant. The way it moves is elegant, and yes, Anubis, you get to see a <b><u>LOT</b></u> of it. And not at the end, either, you see it at various times throughout the film. The director wasn't coy about it at all, he didn't cheat us. When you first see it, I promise, you will jump out of your seat and scream.

The direction and acting are top-drawer. They shot it without a soundtrack so it reads as "real."

One thing, <i><b><u>DO NOT</u> SEE IT ALONE!!</i></b> Have someone to hold onto. This film tops everything for intensity — I'm including <i>Alien</i>, <i>Predator</i>,<i>300</i>, <i>Blair Witch</i>, <i>Hellraiser</i>, <i>Silence of the Lambs</i>, it even blows Godzilla and King Kong out of the water. The only film I've seen that's more intense is <i>Titus</i> with Sir Anthony Hopkins and <i>Aliens</i>. :splodey: :saiyenwolf: :dizzy:
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Yes. CLOVERFIELD was AWESOME! One of the best stompy rawr-ish crazy a** films I've seen in a while. Don't let the shaky-cam worry you. The movie stands on its own

BTW why the hell are some of you so ANGRY at this film? See it, THEN decide if you wanna be angry about it.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I'm seeing it tomorrow. There's a matinee that usually doesn't have a screaming baby two rows down from you and a couple of teens on their cellphones in the row above you and a fat person between you and the aisle who won't get up.

The fact that I'm even going to the theatre-as opposed to waiting for the disk-is because of the good reviews given here. I generally dislike intensely going to the theatre-right up there with teeth cleaning; as a matter of fact.

Yet, some things are best experienced on the big screen (mine's only 42") and with blow-out your eardrums sound levels. This is one of them. :D
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas wrote:it looks like all the secrecy wasn't worth it
Not really. Even not showing the monster beforehand was no big deal, they showed the hell out of that monster in the actual movie. The secrecy and viral marketing was a load of crap, it had no meaning to the actual movie and even gave out faulty information (the movie takes place in May, NOT on January 18 as the pictures on the main site suggest).

Overall... I liked it. It was pretty cool and even though I had my doubts about the handheld Blair Witch style, it actually turned out to be the best idea of the movie, especially one thing that happens towards the end. I did not see that coming and it really throws you off for the rest of the movie. It seems like a gimmick, and it is, but it made the movie a lot more effective than it would have otherwise been.
-Jack Handey
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

Well, in that case, if it really is that scary I'll just have to go alone and buy a whole lot of food to support me.........And no, I'm not being sarcastic this time. Scary and gross films make my hungry. Seriously. Watching something like Slither made me have a craving for Chinese dumplings and lo mein.
The only reason why I'd have to see it alone is because it gross people out when I'm eating and watching a gore scene...I can't help it! Call me weird. It helps me concentrate too.
:roll:
The theater now serves pizza. I think I'll have to get a pie with everything on it for this one. It takes place in New York after all.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

There's some gore, but mostly it's visceral terror.
Gore's one thing, buildings and urban infrastructure crumbling like dried meringue around your ears is another.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Am I the only one who never had any desire to see this movie? :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Then don't go see it.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

MoonKit wrote:Am I the only one who never had any desire to see this movie? :lol:
Not in theaters anyway. It kinda' irritated me that they were trying to overhype a movie they wouldn't even reveal the name of, and then when they finally revealed it was home camera style, I finalized it. As much as I loved The Blair Witch Project, I almost launched my lunch watching that shaky home camera on the big screen. That style of film is great to add realism, but unless you can see the full frame of your TV while you're watching it, it's too nauseating.

So I'm waiting for the DVD because I want to be able to enjoy it. Really, to those of you who have seen it, if I have to turn my head to the side once every ten minutes, how much of the true Cloverfield experience am I going to miss?
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

No one's trying to OVERHYPE a movie. It's called PROMOTION! Much in the same way this website is "overpromoting" Freeborn.

Oh and trust me, you'll enjoy this more in a theater. Really. go now, with a group of friends. TURN OFF YOUR BRAIN, and you'll love it.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Matt- you can't "turn off" getting motion sick.
People who don't get it can't understand. It is miserable.
Would you willingly go do something that you know will result in you spending the rest of the night on the floor in front of the toilet trying to invert your stomach? It's not fun.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Well then pariah, anyone prone to motion sickness shouldn't complain about Cloverfield, because that automatically puts them in a defensive and angry "I CAN'T SEE THAT! iT'LL MAKE ME SICK! "As if we who DON'T get sick should feel guilty about it or something.

If you don't wanna see it, don't come onto a message board where people are talking about the movie and hijack it by pointing out that you or other people MIGHT GET SICK. You'd be better off just not sayng anything about it, because you're not gonna see it anyway. Let the people who can see it ( or have ) be the ones to talk about it on its CONTENT

So sick of all the whining on this board. :x
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Matt- you are the only person I have ever met who can be pretty decent in real life and such a complete a** online.
Terastas said he was going to wait and watch it on dvd because the theatre will make him sick. Why do you feel the need to call him a baby for not seeing it in theatres?
I still intend to see the movie (either od'ed on Dramamine or on dvd).
But it's stupid to tell someone to "suck it up and see it in theatres" when you don't understand how horrible it is? What is wrong with him waiting to see it on dvd anyway?
But if someone doesn't want to see it, then why the devil is it your business anyway? They don't have to see it.
Not everyone is going to agree with you all the time. Deal with it.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Pariah, i'm just responding to an unnecessary anger. People are fuming over this movie for no reason. "I don't like the hype" etc. Well, if you buy into the hype its your own DAMN FAULT! "i dont like the shaky cam" Then go see a goddamn non-shaky movie! it's STUPID for people to come on here and point out how FURIOUS" they are about a friggin monster movie, which, if they'd keep their traps shut until they actually SAW IT, might figure out it was ENJOYABLE!

that's all I'm sayn P.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

I have been thinking about seeing this film, I am not a fan of shaky camera work, if it has no effect on me I can look past it and focus on the movie.