Star Trek 11

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Star Trek 11

Post by Avareis »

Well, I can say that I'm a trek fan and not be ashamed. I grew up as watching the show. I enjoyed seeing it on the big screen.
But, as time went things could have play better for the franchise, but it has alway been a rollercoaster. The first Star Trek was never popular at the star, but when fans emerged it became known that such a genre had potential. It grew and a fanship grew with it. The same was felt when J.J. Abrams was given the opportunity to make Star Trek 11.

The site is now up. You can now see the teaser for the film. You will see the construction of the Enterprise NCC-1701 and a familiar voice from the past.
http://www.paramount.com/startrek/
You can also see the original, but younger crew of the Enterprise on the Star Trek main site.
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/n ... 12154.html
Lenard Nimoy is going to be in it, as well has his younger self. You will notice that some other well known figures have been replaced by younger, but well known actors that come from distinctly different roles than this. Some are best to fit the shoes. Others just don't have the chin. But, only time will tell if they can play it out and grasp people's attention once more.

There are other things about the film that I found interesting, like who plays Spock's mother, the possibility of Shatner having a short conversation with Spock, the movie stills floating around and of course the rekindled feeling of actually hoping for another Star Trek movie to come out, something I haven't felt in a long time and for some time dreaded.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I was going to say that it was kind of weird that Pike is somehow older than he was in the original series, but now that I think about it, Spock is the only regular crew member I remember being in that pilot, so it makes sense. As for Scotty... As much as I like Pegg, I don't know if he's really right for the role, but at the very least he'll be entertaining.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

I will be watching this film and quite sure I will enjoy it, however, I hope they do not stay back in previous Star Trek history for more then this one film, or have items that were dated twenty years ago, let alone two hundred years from now.
Well, I can say that I'm a trek fan and not be ashamed.
I like Star Trek as well, not a crazy fan, I have seen every episode for each series from Next Generation on.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

The only thing I liked about Star Trek was the movie First Contact, and Nemesis because of the badass-looking spaceship the enemy has (this one: http://www.moviemaze-wallpaper.de/image ... -6-800.jpg).

Enterprise still has a few good episodes, but Voyager truly bored me to death. I never saw so many screen-fillers in a row...

I think some things are better off sticking with the movie(s), same goes for Stargate.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Voyager is considered the worst of the lot. I couldn't really tell you, I stick with the original series and Next Generation.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm avoiding the debates about which official franchise series was better. I will say that seeing the Internet-released fan-made "New Voyages" has shown that other people can play the iconic characters. If you haven't seen it, I recommend watching the episode "World Enough and Time." They've gotten their acting down a bit better than the earlier episodes, and the visuals look as good as any of the official Trek shows, if not better. Most importantly, its a story worthy of Star Trek, with the emotional pull of some of the better written Next Gen episodes, something Trek has been missing for awhile outside of the big screen.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/episode_weat.html

I'm very much looking forward to the new movie. It looks like they're giving it a badly needed refresh, while keeping faithful to the existing storylines. I was encouraged by the first season of Enterprise, but when they spent an entire season looking for the Xindi weapons of mass destruction, I was a bit disappointed. By comparison, the Original Series and the Next Generation had some really great mind-expanding stories that didn't hinge heavily on reoccurring villains. Yes, they had Klingon and Romulan episodes, too. But they weren't afraid to have intellectual ones, with computer gods, evolved alien insignts, and philosophical jolts in between. It was, contrary to the "wagon train to the stars" metaphor, real sci-fi and not just space opera.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

I didn't watch Enterprise. It was damn boring to me. I watched Voyager and was amused, but also confused as to why they were aimlessly yelling during an action scene. All of them were yelling. At least the plot was more orchestrated than the previous shows.
Deep Space 9 was alright. The ending sucked though.
Next Gen. was fun. It had that corny flare in the beginning and the cloths they wore were ridiculous, but it was interesting none the less and I watched it because I like it.
The Original series was my where my fanship came from. The truth was that the series wasn't scifi. It was about modern day problems and how they are addressed in a utopian culture. Think about it, when the show was being shown. 1960s. They had a jew as a science officer, a Scottsman, a RUSSIAN, an Asian and a black woman as the crew. If it took place in modern day, in that era it would not have been aired. The 'final frontier' actually refers not to space, but what occurs on their journeys through space.

I wonder how this is going to play out. I think all these actors can pull off their roles, but I wonder how it's all going to play out. Anyway, here's a link from that site if you didn't click on the red dot.
http://www.ncc-1701.com/
Four video links will show. One is always off. 02 shows some welding, but when it is off and you leave it alone for a while and you'll see a corridor of the ship. It'll show for a few seconds and then it'll go away. I just happened to stumble upon it when I didn't close the window and I went back to see what that sound was. It's something small, but you get to see the look of the ship. I think it happens with all 4 screens when they're off, but I'm not that avid to find out.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

All the Minbari souls fled to the Gamma Quadrant

Post by Scott Gardener »

Deep Space Nine stole heavily from Babylon 5 in the final two seasons. The ending is a blatant rip-off of Babylon 5's end. Part of the problem is that people who wrote for one series and left ended up working on the other. B5 was conceived beforehand, with the entire series concept laid out, from the Shadow War to the bit with the Psi Corp, before the show aired its pilot. Therefore, we know that in any context where the two series overtly duplicate each other, B5 most likely had it first. It shows; B5 flows pretty smoothly, whereas DS9 feels crammed and rushed, trying to squeeze well-developed, pre-existing storylines that point in different directions into the forced B5-knock-off storyline.

As a side note, both shows had a tendency, perhaps as an inside joke, to name incidental background characters after characters from the other. I first noticed this when a first season Babylon 5 episode featured a person, overtaken by an alien technology, proclaiming himself to be a being named "Odo." (In DS9, that's the shape-shifting security officer.) In DS9, there's a reoccurring "Dabo girl" (Ferengi gambling game table assistant) named "Leeta." Although Elfquest fans might first think of Cutter's lifemate Leetah, the name also matches Babylon 5's Leeta Alexander, a psychic who works with Kosh and the Vorlons.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

Since we are here, was there a time period and character cast you would have liked for Star Trek eleven, or are you happy with the current films direction?
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

Xiroteus wrote:Since we are here, was there a time period and character cast you would have liked for Star Trek eleven, or are you happy with the current films direction?
I think it's good as is. But, for the next film I hope it takes place with the next generation and that it is even more dark and gritty than 11. It should also be rated R.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

For now, all I know is I want it to take place after the latest events from Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager.

I doubt there will ever be an R rated Star Trek.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

That would be the logical thing to do. It wouldn't hurt to see someone from each of the series, including the original. Spock is still around at that time. It would be nice to see how everyone wound up from their promotions and end of service. Bring some new faces into the emerging conflict within the Federation, some mutiny and face offs between ships. It'll set up for some series after that. All has been going too well for humanity in the 24th century. I think its time for some failure and some reconstruction before the 25th century comes around.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Never give up; never surrender!

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm glad they didn't do it back in 1995, when they were threatening to in lieu of doing Generations. Now is a much better time to do it.

I still would like to see what happens next in the Trek timeline after the end of DS9, Voyager, and Nemesis. Granted, it'll take a bit of work reinventing Trek and the direction it was going, getting it back on track as an intellectual and story-driven saga rather than a heroes vs. villains space opera. The 25th century implies even more advanced technology, and I'm discovering that as technology gets more advanced and out-there, it's harder to write stories that keep a sense of thrill or risk. Still, with challenges such as forming a galactic version of the Federation or revisiting some of the less-explored Trek phenomena out there, like Balok's civilization from the TOS episode "The Corbomite Manouver," there's plenty of creative opportunity, not to mention the idea of exploring beyond the Milky Way. I'm sure they'd want to name the first intergalactic ship Enterprise. (Yes, technically they already did, since both the TOS ship and Enterprise D at various points got hijacked and taken or accidentally flung through warp drive accidents to other galaxies.)

The series Andromeda, billed as a creation of Gene Roddenberry, was originally conceived as a Trek spin-off set a thousand or so years in the future. At that point, everything had broken down--the Federation split up, Vulcans reverted to their Romulan, warlike ancestory, and Klingons had gone back to being Klingons. The Andromeda was to be instead a new Enterprise, with her crew containing a hodge-podge mix of characters who remembered or knew about the old days and strived to bring back the ideals of diplomacy, peace, and exploration. It was an interesting premise. I could easily see it done wrong--Sci Fi is already swamped with "dark and gritty" shows about demolished worlds and fallen civilizations. We don't need Trek to be another, and that's where Deep Space Nine after a few seasons really went wrong for awhile. But, done right, with a healthy emphasis on healing those fallen worlds, it could also be Sci-Fi's reaction to this trend, an overt declaration that it's time to bring back the hope.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

Just remembered that Star Trek has technology from thirty years in the future after the events of Voyager, wonder if they would address that when there is a series or film that takes place after Nemesis.
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

Being a fan of J.J. Abrams productions (Lost and Cloverfield) I am most definitely watching this. Plus Syler from Heroes will be playing as Spock and Shawn of the Dead will be playing as Scotty. A must see film.
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I hate to rain down on any Trekkie bliss like this, but Trek movies are kind of like Waynes Bros. movies in that they know people will line up to see them no matter how bad they are. Heck, in the case of Trek movies, people will actually camp out to see it. The Trek series died with Data at the end of Nemesis if you ask me, but they continued onward because they know they can.

Best movie was Insurrection if you ask me. The space combat was never all that great, but it was the exploration, the politics and the diplomacy that made The Next Generation so good if you ask me, and that was one of the few movies that focused more on the political side of the universe instead of trying to be an action flick. It had its weak points, but it had something a lot of sci-fi movies typically lack: a decent plot that you actually had to pay attention to. :grinp:

Sylar as Spock? Shawn as Scotty? Sorry, I'm expecting the least out of this one. :P
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I have to thank Terastas for acknowledging that Trek is best when it remembers being Star Trek instead of yet another generic space opera. I had high hopes for Enterprise, but when they spent an entire season trying to find the Xindi Weapons of Mass Destruction, it became yet another "good vs. evil" gag without much real thought. Compare that to the intellectualism of "A Taste of Armageddon" from the Original Series, and, well, you can't. (Granted, the Original Series had more than it's fair share of corny moments, like the giant white ape with the horn. But, sometimes that kitchy goofiness was overlapped with deep intellectualism--take "Shore Leave," for instance.)

I just hope they don't make this too formulaic a 2000s decade piece, in which no one can hold a camera still, rock or rap music is always blaring, and everything is yellow-filtered.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

One of my Burning Man friends is choreographing and playing an alien. His name is Paradox Pollack. He was also one of the vampire-zombies in <i>I Am Legend</i>, so I guess he's a hot property now.
CyberWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CyberWolf »

Terastas wrote:Best movie was Insurrection if you ask me.
It is hard to compare the movies based on TOS crew, compared to TNG crew.

In my opinion, Wrath of Kahn was the best movie made with the original crew, and [img]First%20Contact[/img] with TNG crew.

I wanna see a DS9 or voyager movie.

DS9: What happened to Sisko? Did he ever return?

Voyager: Ending was a bit abrubt after the Borg Sphere exploded. I at least wanted to see an epilogue in which you can see parts of the NEW future (since the old one vanisched). Seven and Chakotay marrying, Admiral Paris forgiving his son and seeing his grandchild, are the Borg realy defeated this time?

Enterprise S4 got better. A shame it got canceled. Also, I hated the producers for making the final episode a Enterprise-D Hollodeck adventure...
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Re:

Post by Xiroteus »

CyberWolf wrote:
Enterprise S4 got better. A shame it got canceled. Also, I hated the producers for making the final episode a Enterprise-D Hollodeck adventure...
Series final to Enterprise was one of the worst episode of the last four star trek series, being a holodeck adventure, lets say they got their facts wrong had half of it did not really happen, of course everyone from enterprise is long gone by the time of Star Trek The Next Generation, unless Enterprise got stuck in a time wrap and sent forever into the future.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Star Trek 11

Post by Avareis »

I just clicked on the link again. They did some updates. You get to see how the actors look as they fit into their new roles. It's in the download section.
It's coming out in May of 09. How come those movie makers alway push the date further away and never earlier?