Star Wars- Revelations (Free Indie film)

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Star Wars- Revelations (Free Indie film)

Post by Scott Gardener »

http://www.panicstruckpro.com/revelations/

Did you know that George Lucas has officially allowed non-profit independent film-making of Star Wars spin-offs? This has led to a huge number of parodies and semi-serious film shorts, but it's also inspired some more professional jobs.

I discovered Revelations, a 47 minute production available for free download. It's remarkably good, limited only by some moments of dead-pan acting and the fact that they couldn't get the original voices for Vader and Palpatine. (The people they got, however, weren't bad.)

Visually it's quite fantastic, on par with contemporary TV sci-fi and pretty good at matching the flavor of the Star Wars movies. In terms of story, some might argue that it's better than some of the actual prequels.

It creates a nice, extensive subplot within the Star Wars universe between the old and new trilogies, perfect for role-playing gamers who want to run campaigns with Jedi without contradicting the official storyline.

There are numerous mirror sites for downloading the movie, both directly and as BitTorrents. But, the most reliable one I've found is on the host site itself. I downloaded the Quicktime version at:

http://www.panicstruckpro.com/revelatio ... movie.html

Note that this movie is both free and legal, but it would become illegal if sold for profit, and therefore the producers themselves insist that you go out of your way not to pay for it. To that end, it's a great example of how P2P technology like BitTorrent do have legitimate uses.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Wow, that WAS pretty good. Though, the video quality could have used some work. Often times (esspecially with the Hand) the character would move their mouths and words came seconds later. And some scences were really dark. '

But great overall. :D
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Aki wrote:Wow, that WAS pretty good. Though, the video quality could have used some work. Often times (esspecially with the Hand) the character would move their mouths and words came seconds later. And some scences were really dark. '

But great overall. :D
You watched it allready?!... Image

I started dowloading it as soon as I got the link, and it will be another HOUR before it finishes. (And I have BROADBAND!)

...maybe I just chose the wrong website to download from...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

"...HOLY $%#@!!!!..."

...the acting was unimpressive, the story was uninteresting to me, and the lighting and live camera work was only par for a fan film....but the sets and costumes were top notch, the characters were actually fairly likable and almost memorable, (I can't remember ANYONES name now...but that is typical of almost any movie I watch), and the SPECIAL EFFECTS ... Image

...some scenes looked almost as good as Lucas's films!

All in all, this is definately the BEST Fan Film I have ever seen.

...it boggles my mind though that they would take the trouble to make the CG SFX so meticulously spectacular...and then compose the (actually not bad) music in MIDI.

I mean really...if you are going to put that much effort into the project, you should at least try to make the music sound a little better.

The music was still well utilised and the original stuff (mixed in with all the classic themes) was quite good...and would have been "Great" if they had used better sound quality.

Not quite a refined work of art...but still...Very Nice. Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

hmmmm...now you got me interested in watching it.

*downloading*
JonathanBaine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JonathanBaine »

ok....alright for a shorty. I've seen worse, certainly haven't seen better.

Here is a site with a few funny stuff. Check out the star wars spoofs. There's one really stupid one with some kids and lightsabres....

http://www.newgrounds.com/collections/starwars.html
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

After downloading it, I set it aside so I can watch it later.

It sucks.

*deletes*