The Happening

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A life does not have to be human to be great.

The Happening

Post by Sioux »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fwccFTJIdo

So whose excited and jumping up and down in their seat because they just can't wait to see this film! :grinp:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Eh. . . :| I dunno. Half of me is excited to see M. Night Shyamalan didn't drop off the face of the Earth, but the other half of me is getting Deja'vu about some of his previous movies. I know he hasn't made many, but the pattern with him I've noticed is that when he has an idea that isn't that great, the advertising campaign tries to keep everyone in the dark about it. The adverts for The Village just mentioned an unknown "it" out there too, and in this one, it's "an event happening."

So you'll forgive me if I just pester the people that did see it on opening night to tell me about it instead. :grinp:
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

*Sigh*

You were right Terastas.

It was just like The Village - big disappointment!
Last edited by Sioux on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

It was a disappointment? Okay then, I won't waste my money. *Sigh.* It seems that everything after Signs pretty much sucked then...

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Wait for it on DVD, I liked the Village, The Happening was okay, just felt like something was missing, not enough to it.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

The Illuminati's favorite movie for which has lots of symbolism in it. The virus that drives people insane and commits suicide violently. That the image tells you that humans should feel really bad at themselves and decides to kill themselves in serious situations without ever thinking about it or other things. :x :(
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

IndianaJones wrote:The Illuminati's favorite movie for which has lots of symbolism in it. The virus that drives people insane and commits suicide violently. That the image tells you that humans should feel really bad at themselves and decides to kill themselves in serious situations without ever thinking about it or other things. :x :(
You're wrong, its not a virus. Have you seen the movie? I don't think it had any symbolism and if so, it didn't have much at all. Night certainly wasn't trying to tell us that "we should feel bad about ourselves and kills ourselves in serious situations without ever thinking about it or other things".
I think he really wanted this to be a thought provoking film; possibly about ourselves and how we treat this planet. Maybe that wasn't his intention either. Maybe he just wanted to make a good scary film.

Anyways, the film is interesting and thought provoking, just the like The Village. But, like The Village, the commcerials made the film seem more then what it is. When you do find out whats causing the event you're most likely going to think "Aw come on! Are you serious?!"
Last edited by Sioux on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.

Post by IndianaJones »

Yeah....the reason I put that up is because someone from a forum said that to me after I saw the trailer in the link.

RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

There's nothing wrong with M.Night.Shamalan's work...in the $5.00 bin.
That's what it's worth...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

I saw a bootlegged version of it on the internet. I liked the story but overall I have to agree that it was missing something. About it being Rated R, that was the worst Rated R movie I saw. It would be a damn good PG-13 movie though.

All I have to say is: watch it but not at the theaters, watch it on the internet, TV, or DVD.
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Awful film. Awful ending.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Don't waste your money seeing The Crappening in theaters.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

You guys should go blow your money on another movie. How about Postal from Uwe Bowl? :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary

Post by IndianaJones »

Movies like this gets s*** downed.

Watch it again, if you enjoy blood and gore and intense violence.

Don't watch it, if you don't like this canned crap.

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re:

Post by Terastas »

Shadow Wulf wrote:You guys should go blow your money on another movie. How about Postal from Uwe Bowl? :lol:
Holy crap, was it seriously that bad?

Doesn't matter, I've already committed to saving my money on this one, even the money I would have spent on a rental. After reading your comments and a few reviews, it honestly sounds like M. Night tried to reinvent himself as a horror director by abandoning the psychological elements that we loved about him in The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable and instead resorted to mindless shock value and gore (by having victims not only kill themselves, but kill themselves in ways we wouldn't wish upon anyone). It was a really cheap way to try to liven up what I am to understand was a really cheap concept.

Honestly, I think M. Night's already surpassed his peak. Ten years from now he'll be one of those irritating old "do you know who I am?!" guys. :P
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Re: The Happening

Post by NightSlash »

I watched this last week, with the Rifftrax. Said Rifftrax was the only thing that kept me from putting myself into a coma. Worst movie of the year, easily.
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.
Mood: Excited

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

I rarly watch horrors.

However, I do watch Action, adventure, & animation.
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

This was his only movie I didn't enjoy.
There wasn't even much suspense or action.
"The trees are killing us! Let's run!"
The only redeeming value was watching the creative ways people died.
(amazing break apart lion-man)

I adored Lady in the Water though. One of my favorite movies of all time.

I think the problem with his movies is they are marketed poorly. The trailers always make the movies look like horror and they aren't. If they were marketed as interesting adventure type stories they would do better IMHO.
AngryGothChick
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hello person.
Mood: Depressed

Post by AngryGothChick »

Eh,it was okay.But it's not the best film M.night directed.
Out by sixteen or dead on the scene, but together forever
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

NightSlash wrote:I watched this last week, with the Rifftrax. Said Rifftrax was the only thing that kept me from putting myself into a coma. Worst movie of the year, easily.
I was only going to touch this thing with a rifftrax along to keep me sane. I heard the "reveal," though, ad it really sounds like Crow T. Robot wrote it.
Doggard

Post by Doggard »

:? my Youtube says it has Violated the Terms of use Agreement....

Enother words it has Coywrited content........ ??
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Re: The Happening SPOILERS!

Post by vrikasatma »

I didn't think it was crap. It was okay; I liked The Village better, though.

It's not horrific violent awful gore, but there are a few moments when it gets under your skin.

If I may, I'm going to put a few spoilers in because it's been about six months since it's come out. All those who were gonna see it have, and those who haven't have decided whether or not to bother.

The movie has a definite creepiness about it. Right before the people kill themselves, they freeze in place and stare blankly for a minute. They off themselves coldly, and that's disturbing. Not disturbing in the way 30 Days of Night was, but it stuck with me a few days.

Some of the most disturbing scenes had absolutely no gore in them, like when the group of protagonists got separated from the other group of survivors and they listened to them shoot themselves one by one over several minutes. This right after the girl had to listen to her mother commit suicide over her phone. No gore, but he didn't have to show us in graphic detail to get our goat.

The other scenes that got me was when the guy started up the lawn mower and let it run over him, and the crazy old woman killing herself by repeatedly smashing her head against the outside wall of the house. Agh! :(
ImageImageImageImage
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Yeah, the freezing and staring was definitely creepy. I just wish there had have been more suspense and action. You pretty much know within the first 30 minutes what is happening and there wasn't really much fighting for survival. The protagonists were just lucky. I like his other movies where you're not entirely sure what to think until the end. I really hope this was just one blip for him because it was his first movie I was not entirely satisfied with. Lady in the Water is probably on my top 5 favorite movies because I love the story and the thought that there might still be some mystery to this dull planet.

I think that the lego break-apart zookeeper ruined this one for me. A quasi-sincere death scene should not make me burst out laughing like that did. But that one wasn't really his fault. That was bad cg there.

At least it wasn't The Mist.
The (spoiler)s should have just broadcast that movie if they wanted people to kill themselves! :P
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

The Mist has one of the worst ending I have seen.

I doubt I even need to see the Happening a second time, it was a mess, not enough happened.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

The Village is a pretty 'meh' film, but I thought it was a masterpiece compared to The Happening. The story is rediculous, the acting is very poor and the suspence you come to expect from movie directed by the same guy who made The Sixth Sense just isn't there. I have to admit that the plot could have been very grim if the movie would have been done right, but too bad this isn't really the case.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.