Where The Wild Things Are

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Where The Wild Things Are

Post by NightSlash »

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/wherethewildthingsare/

So many flashbacks to my childhood, and that book came about while watching this trailer. It looks incredible. I'm still so pleased that they didn't go with CGI and kept it with the suits, using CGI just to give the faces more personality, and it works so well.

Oh man, October can't come soon enough...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Re: Where The Wild Things Are

Post by MoonKit »

I was just going to post this!

I never read this book though it looks awesome.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Why do I have a feeling this film is right up a werewolf fan's alley? :}
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Looking at the way the creatures moved and showed expression reminded me a lot of The Labyrinth. It makes it look sort of dated, but I'll bet that's what will make it such a hit; the kind of thing the kids watching it today will show to their kids twenty-odd years from now.
:D
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

Haha, I was going to post this as well (I at least plugged it in the Pack Chat last night). I don't remember very much from the book itself, but the story was touching from what I recall. The movie seems like its aim is to strike for that childish goodness in all of us and bring it to the surface. The effects look wonderful, and I know I'll be going to see it when it arrives in theaters!
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Whenever some younger kid says a movie looks "dated" because of practical effects I always laugh ( I don't necessarily mean you guys ) Because I DARE that person to do better or to somehow PROVE that CG effects are SOOOOOO much better. In movement, yes. But I think in terms of lighting and realism a dude in a suit is far more realistic.

If I were to make Camp Lycanthrope for example, I would want a combination of practical effects combined with minimal CG. Just as this film appears to have.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

Terastas wrote:Looking at the way the creatures moved and showed expression reminded me a lot of The Labyrinth. It makes it look sort of dated, but I'll bet that's what will make it such a hit; the kind of thing the kids watching it today will show to their kids twenty-odd years from now.
:D
Jim Henson's Creature Shop did both.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

MoonKit wrote:Jim Henson's Creature Shop did both.
That doesn't surprise me. The first thing they reminded me of were the big monster "fursuit" muppets that usually appeared in the dark comedy skits.
MattSullivan wrote:Whenever some younger kid says a movie looks "dated" because of practical effects I always laugh ( I don't necessarily mean you guys ) Because I DARE that person to do better or to somehow PROVE that CG effects are SOOOOOO much better. In movement, yes. But I think in terms of lighting and realism a dude in a suit is far more realistic.
Well, 'dated' in the sense that I haven't seen anything like it in over 10+ years I mean. Minus the way some of them move like they're wearing baggy pants, that's the kind of quality I hope Freeborn will have.
Irish Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sneezy
Mood: Meh...
Location: If I told you...well let's just say it wouldn't be good

Post by Irish Wolf »

Man oh man oh man oh man! :o I loved this book when I was younger. I had actually seen an ad in a magazine and I freaked. I'm seriously going to have to go see the movie the day it comes out. Thanks for reminding me that this existed! :D
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Well, surprise, I'm gonna be in Dallas/Ft. Worth at the IALHA Nationals when this thing opens.

Anyone in Ft. Worth? Want to convene a fleshmeet/view contingent?
ImageImageImageImage
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

Lets get Jim Henson's Creature Shop to do the Freeborn werewolves. :D Shoot, they do EVERYTHING else.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

ImageImageImageImage
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Ye Gods, the release is finally IMMINENT and there's no chatter going on?! :eyebrow:

Come ON, you guys, who's excited to see this? I'm gonna be at the first showing this Friday.

Yes, it opens Friday! Get your tickets and let the Wild Rumpus START!! (can't wait to hear that line delivered, BTW)
ImageImageImageImage
WolfeGuardian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Guardian
Additional Details: Guardian the moon pale wolf with golden flaming eyes never to be tamed,
Mood: RAR!
Location: The Dark comforting forests that welcome my presence...

Post by WolfeGuardian »

WOOO it starts tomorrow :D this is gonna be great x3
“Doubt that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.”

vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I'm dashing out the door to my local midnight show as we speak.

Back in a couple hours!
ImageImageImageImage
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Just got back from seeing it tonight. Gotta say one thing: DAMN!
:o
Excellent, excellent movie. I love how its more of an art film than some silly kid movie that it could of easily been. The costumes/cg faces, looked amazing. The kid seemed like a real kid, not some Hollywood version of one.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good fantasy/whimsical movie. :D

:howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I've seen it criticized as being a little too emo. And I agree, it did get a titch mawkish and slightly halty towards the middle.

But my answer to that is, why do "childrens' movies" have to be all cutesy-goofy-light? You want that, pull out a video of the Purple Slug or My Little Pony. This is a faerie tale.

They didn't have the Sea Serpent Wild Thing. But that was the only book element that they didn't have, everything else was there, and then some.

Things I liked:
The Wild Things were INCREDIBLE. And I daresay, they were better than the Skeksis and the UrRu from Dark Crystal. Yes. They looked like whole, living things, not CG-enhanced costume/puppets. Their range of emotion was on a par with the rubber-suit Ninja Turtles. Henson & Associates made them LIVE. Go see the movie if only for that, the Wild Things by themselves were worth the price of admission.

Loved KW (Tzippy in the opera — the red-haired/duck-footed Wild Thing). She was easily the best-played Wild Thing. And definitely the most mature of the Wild Things. They played her up as very Earth Motherly. She does the other signature line ("Oh please don't go/We'll eat you up — we love you so") and it's a heart-wrencher.

Carol (I keep thinking of him as "Moishe," his name in the WTWTA opera) was the most complex character. He kicked it over the top; don't go by the photos, he's a lot more psycho than those big lugubrious eyes suggest. The other Wild Things were scared of him.

Max: Watch Max Records. No, let me repeat myself, with more emphasis: WATCH MAX RECORDS. That kid's got more acting talent in his thumbs than Michael Bay would have if he cloned himself ten times over and reincarnated the lot a hundred times in succession. This is not the last we're ever gonna see of Max Records, he. Is. A. Gem. He has the best lines in the film, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he ad-libbed some of them. When he delivered "Let the Wild Rumpus START!!!", he blew the roof off! It was the story's signature line and he was up to it. See the movie for the Wild Things, and that line.

Judith, the lion-rhino Wild Thing. Oh, God, what a b****!! Definitely of the Crone archetype. I can totally visualize her chanting over and stirring a cauldron of slimy black potion with the occasional body part floating to the surface — then feeding it to Max. I'll bet there used to be hundreds of Wild Things and she killed and ate them down to the seven that's there.

Things I didn't like:

The cockatoo Wild Thing, "Douglas" (Emil in the opera). Oh, the performance was fine. But his eyes were too small, and he didn't have ears in the book. It looked like they spent all the budget on the other Wild Things and just tossed him together at the last minute. :roll:

The exclusion of the Sea Serpent Wild Thing. Then again, maybe Judith caught and ate it.

Audience report:
They held it in the biggest theatre in the 'plex, and it was almost completely filled. Two people came dressed as Max. Most of the audience were late teens/early twenties college kids, happy, psyched, and not at all uncomfortable about being seen in an "only PG" movie. They were cranked for the film, and judging from the number of people who stuck around for the creds and howled at the end of the movie, they had a blast. I heard lots of rollicking, seriously funny laughter all around me throughout the film. They loved Max.

It was a midnight show so that tells you something right there: these were lifelong WTWTA fans, they all grew up with the book and were psyched to see it finally on the silver screen. Great crowd to be in.

And yes, I'm going to see it again. Maybe Tuesday night, after work. There's a lot in this film and I'm more than sure I'll see stuff I missed first time around.
ImageImageImageImage