Transformers

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Transformers

Post by PariahPoet »

Just went to see it with the mate tonight.

No spoilers, but a heads-up, this movie IMHO is not kid-friendly.
Don't get me wrong, it was pretty good and the effects were great, but I personally would not let a kid under 10-12 watch it(teen-age would be better). Lots of really lowbrow humor involving humping dogs and robot testicles plus a surprising amount of profanity even from the autobots.

Those issues aside it was pretty decent. The banter between the twins was pretty entertaining even though they are stereotyped to the point of caricature. The visual effects are pretty incredible.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Transformers

Post by Berserker »

I thought it was pretty bad. I have to agree with most of the critics on this one.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I haven't actually seen the movie, but I trust Spill.com well enough that I'd link to their review of it (with the warning that there's a lot of profanity in their review too).

Link

Note: You can tell it's bad because it's being reviewed by the Co-Host 3000. He only ever gets called in to review the movies nobody else wants to see (he's the one that got stuck reviewing Twilight and Disaster Movie). I've been watching their Youtube channel for over a year and only once has he ever gotten to review a "Full Price" rated movie (Quarantine).
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

It could have been ok, but they Howard the Duck'ed it. Too cheezy for most adults, too sleazy for kids. :/
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

*sigh* I'm going to go and embarrass myself here...

I liked it.

There, I said it. I'm sorry, but I think you guys are overthinking things here. This is a movie based on toys created in the 80s. Oscar material it is not, but still...

I liked it.

I can feel my soul slipping closer towards The Dark Side every time I say that. I laughed at the stupid jokes. I liked the twins. I liked turbo-ginsu-super-ninja-Bumblebee. I even liked the obnoxious little RC toy character. There was no plot. The writing was mediocre. But, it was what I can only describe as delightfully mindless fun. In short...

I liked it.

Come to The Dark Side... We have cookies.
:evil:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

I can sum up why absolutely nobody should (or at least why I won't) even consider watching this movie in five words:

Cost of production: $194 Million.

Assuming Anthony Brownrigg calculated correctly when he gave Freeborn's budget to be an estimated six to eight million, we could have made Freeborn and had enough money leftover to fund twenty+ more movies with that kind of budget.

This wasn't just a really stupid movie -- this was the most expensive stupid movie in history.

Seriously, when somebody gets payed $75 million to direct something and I take a look through his film credits and honestly think his greatest work ever was Coyote Ugly, that to me is a sign that there is something extremely :duckieing wrong with Hollywood right now.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Okay, I'll admit that $194M is pretty obscene, but here's the rub: I'll bet the silly thing makes a profit. Why? Because Transformers, despite being totally forgettable, has visual effects that by themselves have mass appeal. You would never spend anywhere near that much on a movie like Freeborn because (don't flame me here) it doesn't have that same kind of mass appeal. Look, with Freeborn, you have an involved plot with well developed characters (I assume, since I was not one of the Blessed Ones who got a sneak peek at the script way back when :( ) and werewolves who are actually the good guys. For that matter, you've got a werewolf movie that doesn't rely upon Jet-Lee-with-claws fight scene action, and/or a bloody gorefest. The unfortunate reality is that the average Joe-Six-Pack doesn't want to have to think when he goes out to the movies. The mindless fare that Transformers represents is aimed at that (much larger) segment of the population. In the end, the $149M is all about getting the butts in the seats (although I will agree with Spill.com: Michael Bay has something seriously wrong with him).
Lewis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lets mosh like a werewolf
Mood: Happy

Post by Lewis »

i relly liked it it's just bit too long i say

I’m surprised they got away with the rating being a 12A
Don't blame it on sunshine
Don't blame it on moonlight
Don't blame it on good times

well actually do blame it on the moonlight :P
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Uniform Two Six wrote:You would never spend anywhere near that much on a movie like Freeborn because (don't flame me here) it doesn't have that same kind of mass appeal.
Actually, you wouldn't spend that kind of money on Freeborn because it doesn't need that kind of money.

Michael Bay basically gambled with two assumptions when making this movie:
1) A bigger budget makes a better film.
2) Plot, acting and writing are the least important aspects of the movie experience.

In other words, he's betting it doesn't matter that the script is total crap just as long as it has a hundred million dollars worth of explosions in it. For the sake of Hollywood and the film industry as a whole, I hope and pray to God that Michael Bay is wrong.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas wrote: Actually, you wouldn't spend that kind of money on Freeborn because it doesn't need that kind of money.
Very true. No argument from me. My point was that, hypothetically, if AB needed that much cash to make Freeborn as he envisioned it (for whatever reason -- just bear with me here), there would be no financial justification to do so because the target audience is so much smaller. Not to call it a "niche film", but you get the idea.
Terastas wrote: In other words, he's betting it doesn't matter that the script is total crap just as long as it has a hundred million dollars worth of explosions in it. For the sake of Hollywood and the film industry as a whole, I hope and pray to God that Michael Bay is wrong.
You did watch the first movie, right? A hundred million dollars worth of explosions are basically what sold the first movie. And I shall repeat myself: I'll bet you that the silly thing turns a profit. You can't go wrong pandering to the lowest common denominator. Hollyweird has figured this out.
full-moon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by full-moon »

its cool movie but i like the old cartoon tv show from the 80s :)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I thought it was a very overproduced and childish movie. I would not recommend Transformers 2 unless you enjoy watching CGI almost non-stop.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Any body else sick to death of Megan Fox? :P
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

I saw the movie when it was released and I found it appalling... It was by far one of the worse movies I've ever seen. The story was slightly better than the original movies, but that really isn't saying much. As with what everybody else said, there was a LOT of effects, but nothing much else. I also agree the humor was way to crude for small childen and the plot was way to childish to appease most adults. The movie stunk and the language was terrible. Boo Micheal Bay... BOO!
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

I enjoyed it for what it was, good story telling? No, good plot? Not really, entertaining? Yes.