Being Human

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Jarden
Pack Member
Pack Member

Being Human

Post by Jarden »

I did search. So, if this is a repeat, my apologies.
Being Human, a BBC AMERICA co-production, is a witty and extraordinary look into the lives of three twenty-somethings and their secret double-lives - as a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost. They struggle to live normal lives, despite their strange and dark secrets.

George (Russell Tovey) and Mitchell (Aidan Turner) work in anonymous drudgery as hospital porters in Bristol, England. They lead lives of quiet desperation under the burden of a terrible secret - Mitchell's a vampire and George a werewolf. Deciding to start life afresh and leave behind the dark side, they move into a house, only to find that Annie (Lenora Crichlow), the ghost of a woman killed in mysterious circumstances, haunts it. As the monster threesome deal with the challenges of their new life together, they're united in their desire to blend in with their human neighbors.

But with unwelcome intruders into their world, a threatened revolution from the vampire underworld, constant threats of exposure, and the day-to-day issues faced by young people - the only thing they may be able to rely on is each other.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/369/index.jsp

I think it's funny... in a good way.
"River running free, You know how I feel" --Feeling Good.
Which, at 3 AM, didn't make any sense to me. The river is (usually,) always running. So, it really wouldn't know how he felt. Imagine what the river would give to play a game, write a play or run right back up the hill. Now, that's freedom.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Re: Being Human

Post by PariahPoet »

Yeah, there's already a thread. In fact, this is number 4. The rest have been merged here-

http://thepack.network/thepackboard/vie ... man+series
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well, I may have good news and bad news. The good news is that, according to Prime Time In No Time, an American adaptation of Being Human is coming soon.

The bad news is that it's going to be on the Sci-Fi channel. :P
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

I just watched the first episode of "Being Human" ala Americana... It is almost a word for word translation of the British version with the exception that they've spent a considerable amount of money on the effects. The Werewolf TF (you only see a partial TF) in particular revolves a more lupine variant (with a tail). The first episode ends with Josh and his sister (not his girlfriend) being locked with him in the hospital.

As a whole if they keep it up, it will be nearly identical to the British version. While effects are much better this time around, with CGI, expensive make-up effects and tons of little things here and there, the cast doesn't have the same chemistry as the British cast. I didn't know it was possible to make "Josh" more whiney, but alas he is... at least his TF screams aren't so shril this time around, but the actor makes me nervous. Aiden is now played by the same actor that played Doomsday in Smallville. His take on Aiden is less vampire sexy vs. just plain menacing. Still I'm more fond of the British cast, especially the Brit ghost of whom is just plain annoying in the American Version.

Being Human airs on Mondays at 8pm...on SyFy... It will be on Hulu 30 days after airing on TV. You can check out the first episode now.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Great. Just great. The first time around it's on BBC, so I can't watch it except for those rare times I'm at somebody else's house and they have BBC. Now it's on SciFi just as I have headed out to the a**-end-of-nowhere where there's no TV at all. Aaaaargh!
:x
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

I liked the American version more then I thought I would (I guess that's because it was almost identical to the Brit version) I'm definitely diggin the effects. I'll keep my eye on the show and see how it develops.
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Great. Just great. The first time around it's on BBC, so I can't watch it except for those rare times I'm at somebody else's house and they have BBC. Now it's on SciFi just as I have headed out to the a**-end-of-nowhere where there's no TV at all. Aaaaargh!
:x
That's easy... just say... Hulu... I saw the first episode on www.hulu.com... Granted now all the other ones won't aire on Hulu until 30 days after their original air date, but then again, if you can simply wait for the first month to pass you'll be able to watch them weekly. I'm sort of in that boat, because we are already recording several shows on Monday nights and can't record it.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

alphanubilus wrote: That's easy... just say... Hulu...
Yeah -- slight problem with that. The internet connection here is so slow that I just spent just shy of thirty minutes online to send one e-mail (without any attachments). I'm seriously considering doing all of my correspondence from here on out via snail mail -- it can't possibly be much slower.
:x Aaaaaargh!!! This disease-ridden country sucks.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

alphanubilus wrote:I just watched the first episode of "Being Human" ala Americana... It is almost a word for word translation of the British version with the exception that they've spent a considerable amount of money on the effects. The Werewolf TF (you only see a partial TF) in particular revolves a more lupine variant (with a tail). The first episode ends with Josh and his sister (not his girlfriend) being locked with him in the hospital.

As a whole if they keep it up, it will be nearly identical to the British version. While effects are much better this time around, with CGI, expensive make-up effects and tons of little things here and there, the cast doesn't have the same chemistry as the British cast. I didn't know it was possible to make "Josh" more whiney, but alas he is... at least his TF screams aren't so shril this time around, but the actor makes me nervous. Aiden is now played by the same actor that played Doomsday in Smallville. His take on Aiden is less vampire sexy vs. just plain menacing. Still I'm more fond of the British cast, especially the Brit ghost of whom is just plain annoying in the American Version.

Being Human airs on Mondays at 8pm...on SyFy... It will be on Hulu 30 days after airing on TV. You can check out the first episode now.
*nods* What I liked most about the British version was that it was character-driven. Maybe that was a conscious decision, or maybe it was to compensate for their lack of decent FX, but at any rate, the British Being Human wasn't about ghosts, vampires and werewolves, but rather three very believable, very relative people who were a ghost, a vampire and werewolf.

SyFy, on the other hand, looks like they're just trying to make a ghost, vampire and werewolf show. Which is frankly what I suspected they would do; this is the network that has kept itself alive and relevant by catering to people that INDULGE in grand-scale sci-fi stupidity (this is the network that gave us Sharktopus and Mansquito). So my best guess is that the network thought their viewers would watch anything with a ghost, vampire and werewolf in it, that they carried over Being Human to avoid plagiarism accusations (by the viewers), and that the hack and/or struggling writers hired to develop the American version (in their wisdom) realized they couldn't write anything better and just copied it directly.

No such luck for the actors though. They look more like they're trying to play type-casts than actual characters. Which is a damn shame, because the original series was character-driven. Not the worst mockery of a British TV show by an American network ever made, but not anything they'll think any better of us for either.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Okay, I'm stoked. Apparently season 3 (of the British version) just finished airing, and supposedly they're releasing the DVD right away. Yaaaaay!
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

This is a tricky series to follow, in part because the U.S. version keeps coming up whenever I search for information on it. I'm just hoping I don't miss the next season. Thankfully in this new century, missing a show is an aging concept. I'll probably end up following it on iTunes at two bucks an episode, complete with end credits that aren't squnched up in one corner, blabbed over, and rendered unreadable.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Eh. I just go buy the DVD (I still buy actual DVDs, because I'm a Luddite apparently). Anyway, I think season four is about to come out sometime soon. If you're looking for info on the British (good) version, may I recommend you Google search "BBC Being Human". That usually works for me. I think the BBC's website is pretty good.
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

The American version (at least for me) is now on Net Flix.
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
rouxgaroux

Post by rouxgaroux »

Trinity wrote:The American version (at least for me) is now on Net Flix.
Actually, both the US and UK version are available. Streaming too.

Link for the lazy
ImageImageImage
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

Anyone gonna watch the coming 2013 season? I basically missed this entire show so ive got some catching up to do.Ive seen epis of both the uk and us show.im thinking im want to catch the new season on sfy.try to anyway :P

figured since there are multiple threads id post here,it being the most recent. :?
silver1
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: guardian of wolves
Additional Details: When it hurts to look back,and your scared to look ahead you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.
Mood: Happy

Post by silver1 »

Yeah,i'm planning on watching it.
If you talk to the animals,they will talk to you and you will know each other.If you do not talk to them,you will not know them and what you do not know you fear,and what one fears one destroys.

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend.

You say werewolf like its a bad thing.

http://cmrpg.net/turn.php?cid=131877&serv=1
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Supposedly season 4 is coming out on DVD in March.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I just found out that Season 5 is the last one. Why do all my favorite shows get cancelled?!
:whimper:
Rogan54
Custom Title: Nathan Leo
Mood: Happy

Post by Rogan54 »

This is a dubious arrangement to pursue, to a limited extent in light of the fact that the U.S. variant keeps coming up at whatever point I scan for data on it. I'm simply trusting I don't miss the following season. Fortunately in this new century, missing a show is a maturing idea. I'll most likely end up tailing it on iTunes at two bucks a scene, complete with end credits that aren't scrunched up in one corner, yakked over, and rendered indiscernible.