Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

alphanubilus wrote:Decomcrats: This is what happens when Global Warming runs rampent. :D
Not really. Most Democrats are too distracted by Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and now Sarah Palin to ever weigh in on anything subtle (and by "subtle," I mean "isn't blatantly spelled out multiple times in plain English"), and besides, they don't really need to weigh in on non-journalistic media because most people can smell a religious and/or Conservative propaganda film a mile away (Veggie Tales anyone?).

The only Democratic (or more accurately, Democrat-aligned) whining about Avatar I have heard is from the minority leagues: "Foul! Foul! Racial caricatures! Racial caricatures! Foul! Foul!"

They're 8 ft. tall anorexic blue-skinned cat-elves. You would sooner convince me that Jar-Jar Binks was a racial stereotype. :P
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Alpha »

Putting aside all of the film's political undertones for a moment, this was simply a great great great movie! I can't think of the last time I've felt this way about a movie after leaving the theater. I'm already jonesing for the sequel. According to James Cameron there's going to be 2 more films. He has said that the next one is definitely not going to be a prequel though. One of the rumors is that the story will take place on one of the system's other moons, or even on the planet Polyphemus itself.

Here's a twist. What if they did a reverse transfer, and we got to see Neytiri as her human avatar..... ZOE SALDANA!!! HOT!!! hwlwnk
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I didnt like it.

I thought it was preachy and the characters were all really bad stereotypes.

But the world was original and the animation very well done.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Terastas wrote: Vatican: "Foul! Foul! Nature worship! Nature worship! Foul! Foul!"
On a bit of a tangent here: What the heck is that garbage spewing out of the Vatican? They're getting their panties in a twist about the plot of a movie? A fictional race of aliens is in a battle with humans, and quite incidentally, the aliens are into nature worship. Are they serious? The Catholic Church can't confine itself to complaining about personal freedoms granted to individuals in some countries, and the practice of actual religions, but has to also worry about fictional religions practiced by aliens in a friggin' movie?! Granted, I'm not religious, but it's almost as if they're trying to alienate anybody with a brain.
:?
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
Terastas wrote: Vatican: "Foul! Foul! Nature worship! Nature worship! Foul! Foul!"
Granted, I'm not religious, but it's almost as if they're trying to alienate anybody with a brain.
Dude they've been doing that for the last 1000 years, why change now? :lol:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
On a bit of a tangent here: What the heck is that garbage spewing out of the Vatican? They're getting their panties in a twist about the plot of a movie? A fictional race of aliens is in a battle with humans, and quite incidentally, the aliens are into nature worship. Are they serious? The Catholic Church can't confine itself to complaining about personal freedoms granted to individuals in some countries, and the practice of actual religions, but has to also worry about fictional religions practiced by aliens in a friggin' movie?! Granted, I'm not religious, but it's almost as if they're trying to alienate anybody with a brain.
My guess is because they're seeing the returns on the movie and have recognized that this means a lot of people are out there thinking for themselves as a result of it. They felt the urge to weigh in on The DaVinci Code and Harry Potter as well. In the case of the former, the response from the author was even to remind everyone that it was just a work of fiction, but they still persisted in attacking it.

That's what they've effectively done by weighing in on independent-minded movies: they're announcing their opposition to free thinking.

Anyway, I'm given some sense of comfort by the knowledge that this may just be the first in a trilogy and that the plot/setting will be expanded upon. . . Though I seriously hope it follows in the tradition of good trilogies like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. You know, as opposed to what happened with the sequels to The Matrix and Highlander. :P
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

First, I hope there is no sequel to Avatar. It's perfect right where it is.

Second, I can understand why the Catholics attacked DaVinci Code (even though I still think it was stupid to do so), because the movie was more or less about the Catholic Church. Even though it was an obvious work of fiction, it drew rather heavily upon historical fact, and weaved a tale of conspiracy that was at least as plausible as the official Catholic line (or the concept of immaculate conception for that matter). Even Harry Potter isn't that much of a stretch, since the Church has always had a thing about magic=bad. Silly, but so is "contraception is the work of the devil". Maybe I'm just weird, but complaining about the religious preferences of aliens seems like an even more drastic leap of stupidity to me.
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Maybe I'm just weird, but complaining about the religious preferences of aliens seems like an even more drastic leap of stupidity to me.
God is supposed to be universal, not human-specific. If there was a sentient race of alien creatures, it would be just as much of an affront for them not to believe as any group of humans.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Alpha »

Terastas wrote:My guess is because they're seeing the returns on the movie and have recognized that this means a lot of people are out there thinking for themselves as a result of it. They felt the urge to weigh in on The DaVinci Code and Harry Potter as well. In the case of the former, the response from the author was even to remind everyone that it was just a work of fiction, but they still persisted in attacking it.

That's what they've effectively done by weighing in on independent-minded movies: they're announcing their opposition to free thinking.
Yes, that heathen James Cameron needs to be burned at the stake. How dare he cut into their monopoly of mind control pie? :roll:

Terastas wrote:Anyway, I'm given some sense of comfort by the knowledge that this may just be the first in a trilogy
Rest assured cause it's a done deal. Cameron has already confirmed this in several magazine interviews, and verified it today on Oprah when she asked him that very question. And no! I don't normally watch Oprah. :x
Only today because he was on it to talk about the movie and to show some behind the scene clips.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Chris wrote: God is supposed to be universal, not human-specific. If there was a sentient race of alien creatures, it would be just as much of an affront for them not to believe as any group of humans.
"Look, people! I'm just trying to say that if we don't change the Holy Document of Vatican Law, then we might lose everyone to atheism."

"What exactly do you suggest that we change, Father Maxi?"

"Well, for one, no sex with boys."

"The Holy Document of Vatican Law states that a priest, bishop, or cardinal cannot get married, so where are we to get our sex?"

"Uh, well then, perhaps we could change the Holy Document of Vatican Law to say that... it's okay for a priest or bishop or cardinal to have sex... with women."

"WOMEN?!" "The Gelgamek vagina is three feet wide and filled with razor sharp teeth. Do you really expect us to have sex with them?!"

"Wuh -- okay, m-maybe we just need to forget about the Gilgameks for a second and focus-"

"What's that about the Gilgameks?!"

"I'm just saying that what works on planet Gilgamek isn't necessarily going to work for us here on Earth. You see? That's the problem we're having here."

-Father Maxi and Gilgamek Cardinal. South Park Episode 608.
:D
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

Loved it. That's all I have to say.
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It should be noted that some of us DO worship nature. If Mel Gibson can make The Passion of the Christ, then we nature worshipers should have our fair share.

I liked John Paul II better. He actually apologized to Galileo for being right. He awarded Professor Stephen Hawking for his contributions to our understanding of the creation of the universe, breaking with the longstanding tradition of instead tying such people to sticks and setting them on fire. This new Pope, I don't know...

But, getting back to Avatar, my wife Cathey and I have seen it three times, and we're already planning a fourth time, this time at the IMAX. We've been listening to the soundtrack over and over, and, Eywa help me, I'm even writing fan fiction. What's really annoying is that it's some of the best writing I've done in years. We've been talking about this movie until we're blue in the face.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Scott Gardener wrote: But, getting back to Avatar, my wife Cathey and I have seen it three times, and we're already planning a fourth time, this time at the IMAX. We've been listening to the soundtrack over and over, and, Eywa help me, I'm even writing fan fiction. What's really annoying is that it's some of the best writing I've done in years. We've been talking about this movie until we're blue in the face.
Avatar really struck a chord with you didn't it?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Scott Gardener wrote:It should be noted that some of us DO worship nature. If Mel Gibson can make The Passion of the Christ, then we nature worshipers should have our fair share.
*nods* The only time they ever complain about a Jesus movie is when it's one that tries to depict him in a more human light (Last Temptation anyone?)
What's really annoying is that it's some of the best writing I've done in years.
Heh. I can relate. I have furry fetish stories that look better than the current Inhuman script I have right now. :P
We've been talking about this movie until we're blue in the face.
Umm. . . Was that a pun? :grinp:
DWDruid
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Son of Fenrir
Mood: Indifferent

Post by DWDruid »

Did you hear that Avatar is now officaly the top selling movie of all time? Even better than James Cameron's other masterpiece, The Titanic.

Part of this is due to inflation though. Compare the number of tickets sold and Avatar still falls behind The Titanic and Star Wars.
"Wolves, when you get down to it, are a lot like us.
They are powerful, aggressive, territorial, and predatory.
They are smart, curious, cooperative, loyal, and adaptable.
They exert a profound influence on the ecosytems they inhabit."
"Wolf Wars"
-National Geographic March 2010
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

That's almost painful to look at...

Anyways, older movies like Titanic and Dances with Wolves are practically impossible to truly beat out, especially in the area of say, ticket sales. The cinema industry has changed too much to allow for it.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

all around i thought the movie was great. :howl:  :oo
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Berzerker:
Yep, it struck a lot of chords. It was a perfect storm--bleeding edge visuals that eats the Star Wars prequels for breakfast; a really well-done story with great actors playing great characters that you genuinely care about, delivering highly memorable and quotable lines; metaphysics that run parallel to my Wiccan beliefs--something you don't see much in blockbuster movies; great-looking people and creatures, similar to stuff I've imagined for the past twenty-five years, but done a lot better; it's a rare ideal mix that makes this my favorite movie of all times, knocking down Star Trek III: the Search for Spock to the number two spot. (I have a special place in my heart for movies about rebirth and consciousness transference set on lush alien planets, when James Horner is doing the soundtrack.)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Cathey and I just went last night to see it a sixth time. It was the very last 3D showing, and when we came out, the line was already forming for the Alice in Wonderland 12:01 midnight premiere, so I was part of the torch-passing, so to speak. Three and a half months is an excellent run at the cinema, especially since it's still showing in regular 2D today.

Maybe The Wolfman will do well enough that someone coming to the theater these past four weeks will connect the dots between it and Avatar, realizing that a high budget film with good story telling and realistic werewolves would do well?
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

None of the big dogs are willing to spend money on werewolf movies.
Wolfman is one of the better werewolf movies in awhile, but it's still not very good in comparison to the entire movie collection. Werewolf genre just doesn't have a very good stigma.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

Can't really say much positive about it. Aside from 1 or 2 good performances (not Sam Worthington, who I preferred in gangland Melbourne Macbeth having a foursome with the weird sisters) and effective visuals, character, plot and theme where underwhelming, derivative and predictable. I can't say the exhorbitant budget did it any favours.

All the legal issues are probably a balance between appropriate and uncredited 'intertextuality'.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Recently I've noticed that people everywhere are developing a sudden, inexplicable, vile hatred for this movie. Strange that the same thing happened after Titanic started to get a lot of money. I don't recall anyone stepping out of the theater when Titanic came out spouting hatred for it, in fact everyone I knew then thought it was decent at worst, but these days, it's reviled as one of the worst movies of all time. Avatar seems destined down the same course. I wonder if it had only made $200 million and faded into relative obscurity if people would still lash out against it.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Berserker wrote:Recently I've noticed that people everywhere are developing a sudden, inexplicable, vile hatred for this movie.
I wouldn't call my dislike of it "sudden." I dislike it from the first time I heard of it. Though "hatred" is a strong word for a movie like Avatar. It's ....very average in everything that isn't pretty visuals, so it's definitely not in the same tier as movies I actually hate.
Strange that the same thing happened after Titanic started to get a lot of money. I don't recall anyone stepping out of the theater when Titanic came out spouting hatred for it, in fact everyone I knew then thought it was decent at worst, but these days, it's reviled as one of the worst movies of all time. Avatar seems destined down the same course. I wonder if it had only made $200 million and faded into relative obscurity if people would still lash out against it.
Probably not - the main reason for the backlash is all the hype it gets and all the "JIM CAMERON'S AVATAR OMG." It's terribly wearing on the nerves of most, especially when all it was is a very pretty movie. It'd be like if Shoot 'Em Up or Die Hard 4 tried to convince you it was OMG THE NEXT BIG IN FILM MAKING when all it is is some really freaking sweet action.
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

I wonder if it had only made $200 million and faded into relative obscurity if people would still lash out against it.
This is quite likely a sizeable factor, for two reasons. If a movie isn't succesful, it isn't talked about, so it's never brought up to be praised or critized. Second, when a mediocre film remains obscure or has only modest popularity, we feel that nothing is out of the ordinary. But when such a film is touted as someone's 'amazing vision' or someones 'acerbic political commentary' people might chime in saying, 'I don't think it is that brilliant'. In Australia, at least, the Marketing machine was in overdrive to manufacture hype for this thing...it's target audience was broad as possible for a reason.

As I said, good visuals, animations, great set design. Nothing else really remarkable, indeed quite unremarkable. It was an action blockbuster, kind of like Transformers with a really unsubtle allegory. Felt a little too long, also, but that wasn't so bad; all the more chance to showcase alien landscapes and action.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Aki already stated a big chunk of it. Avatar wasn't a bad movie, but it also wasn't the freakin' sweetest movie ever, which is what a lot of people are pegging it as. A lot of that "vile resentment" is not for the movie, but for it's success and for it's staying power.

Every now and then, it just becomes fashionable to hate something. Remember when Pokemon first came to America?

Titanic went through the same thing. First it was a big hit. Then it was a "vile, putrid" movie because everyone was sick of hearing about how dreamy Leonardo DiCaprio was (and of hearing that damn Celene Dion song on the radio), then the tween heartthrobs got a new crush and Titanic went back to being just a somewhat decent movie. In 2011, most people will likely have Avatar sorted away in their minds with Terminator 2 and Kill Bill: the "not masterpieces, but great movies nevertheless" category.

A minor part of it may also be the "this movie was better" crowd. I'll admit I personally might be just a little resentful of Avatar because it completely overshadowed District 9, which I think was just as good if not better. The same thing happened (to a greater extent) to Pokemon and Harry Potter -- it became fashionable to hate them among fans of Digimon and The Lord of the Rings respectively.

The other big part of it, I think, is what's already been covered: the religious and political implications that shouldn't have been attached to Avatar but were anyway. A lot of people have not seen it and have no desire to see it, but are also committed to hating it because it's "liberal propaganda" or "promotes devil-worship." We live in a time, unfortunately, where people are looking for something to hate, going well out of their way to be offended and defending their self-declared God-given rights to be a**holes. If there is anyone out there in the world that can think of something they would rather be doing besides reading the Bible and/or Going Rogue by Sarah Palin, people are going to commit themselves to hating it.